PDA

View Full Version : Clippers Deandre Jordan could command $103.5 million max contract

RsxPiimp
12-06-2014, 03:33 PM
DeAndre Jordan has continued to emerge as one of the best defensive big men in the NBA.

He could command nine-figure rich next summer in free agency, while presenting the first significant financial test of Steve Ballmer's ownership.

A maximum five-year contract for Jordan projected at $103.5 million would probably nudge the Clippers over the luxury tax threshold for a third consecutive season in 2015-16, triggering the dreaded repeater tax the following season.

Ballmer has intimated he would make whatever financial commitment was necessary to preserve the core of his team.

"I want the Clippers to be better than they've ever been and better than anybody else has ever been," Ballmer said.

:lol if ballmer pays this guy this much

Robz4000
12-06-2014, 03:36 PM
:lmao Clipper Nation get in here

djohn2oo8
No way :lol

spurraider21
nowhere did it say the clippers were considering the max offer. there is zero chance he gets it tbh.

djohn2oo8
12-06-2014, 03:39 PM
nowhere did it say the clippers were considering the max offer. there is zero chance he gets it tbh.

Ballmer is still likely to overpay

LkrFan
12-06-2014, 03:39 PM
:corn:

spurraider21
12-06-2014, 03:40 PM
Ballmer is still likely to overpay
true, but he's not going to sniff 20 per

Cry Havoc
12-06-2014, 03:43 PM
Jordan is worth no more than $15m per year, and even that's a huge stretch. He's a good player with very limited upside, but there is a dearth of bigs in the NBA and he fills the lane nicely.

RsxPiimp
12-06-2014, 03:43 PM
You know, the funny thing here is I could actually see Jim Buss outbidding himself and handing out this contract tbh..:lol

~O~
12-06-2014, 03:45 PM
If this happens, the League is fucked.

djohn2oo8
12-06-2014, 03:45 PM
You know, the funny thing here is I could actually see Jim Buss outbidding himself and handing out this contract tbh..:lol

Naw, Steve about to move dat dough :lol

AlexJones
12-06-2014, 03:50 PM
Laker bound

Clipper Nation
12-06-2014, 03:55 PM
As I've said all year, trade his ass or let him walk. Let someone else make the mistake of overpaying for a big with no offensive game and extremely overrated defense.

LkrFan
12-06-2014, 04:04 PM
Naw, Steve about to move dat dough :lol

:lol

Clipper Nation
12-06-2014, 04:10 PM

:lol Don't know why you're laughing, Eduardo. Lakers are about to be paying DeContract prime Shaq money for Kwame Brown production.

apalisoc_9
12-06-2014, 04:12 PM
Jordan is not even a top 30 player in the league..

There is no way he is getting the max

StrengthAndHonor
12-06-2014, 04:42 PM
Thing is Deandre is really important for the Clippers. I would be pissed if we let him walk away for nothing. I would hope that we at least get someone serviceable plus draft picks in return.

Eitherway, DeAndre is getting paid. The Clippers matched the Warriors offer of $43 mil/4 yrs IIRC when he was just a guy averaging 7 pts and 7 rebounds a game. He obviously improved under Rivers and his numbers shows (both raw and advanced). Clippers offered him an extension, which would pay him $12,13 and $14 million for each year until 2018 and he declined, so you can pretty much guarantee he'll get a starting salary of $15 million with the usual raises annually.

Keep in mind Roy Hibbert received a max contract and DeAndre's numbers last year and this year are on par with his, with DJ rebounding at a much higher rate. My biggest fear is the dreaded luxury tax, but we'll see how deep Ballmer's pockets are. He said his committed to winning and if Sterling was willing open his wallet with this core, something he's never done for 30 years, I think the new guy will pony up.

Mikeanaro
12-06-2014, 04:48 PM
Rashard Lewis type of contract :lol , he is decent and thats it.

Clipper Nation
12-06-2014, 04:52 PM
Thing is Deandre is really important for the Clippers.

How so?

- Zero offensive game other than dunking. Even then, he has to lead the league in missed dunks. It's pathetic when he can't even make the only shot he should be taking on a basketball court.
- One of the worst free throw shooters in the league. He can't play in the 4th quarter in close games, yet he expects $103.5 million?
- Extremely overrated as a rim protector, allowing opponents to shoot 47% at the rim. Slightly above average overall but mediocre for someone who's supposed to be "one of the best defensive bigs in the NBA."
- More on his rim protection: currently he's saving -0.51 points per game, -0.56 per 38 minutes. Again, pretty average compared to the league's bigs as a whole, but a so-called elite defensive player should be saving at least 2 points per game.
- Extremely overrated as a defensive player in general. Gets worked by any big man with fundamentals and/or a jump shot. Marc Gasol in particular always takes a sloppy wet shit on him. Now, Gasol is an elite big man, but "one of the best defensive bigs in the NBA" should be able to hold his own, especially if they want to be paid the max.
- Useless in the playoffs. The only time he has ever shown up in the playoffs was against a team missing their starting center.

About the only thing he provides is rebounding, and that's not enough to warrant anywhere near $103.5 million. We could find a scrub to get rebounds and brick every shot that isn't a dunk for the league minimum.

Brunodf
12-06-2014, 04:55 PM
He is not worth more than 10-12 mil/yr tbh

Clipper Nation
12-06-2014, 04:57 PM
Also, DeContract has to have one of the lowest basketball IQ's in the league. He's been in the NBA for seven seasons now and he still consistently leaves Gasol wide open from midrange every single time we play Memphis.

StrengthAndHonor
12-06-2014, 05:01 PM
How so?

- Zero offensive game other than dunking. Even then, he has to lead the league in missed dunks. It's pathetic when he can't even make the only shot he should be taking on a basketball court.
- One of the worst free throw shooters in the league. He can't play in the 4th quarter in close games, yet he expects $103.5 million?
- Extremely overrated as a rim protector, allowing opponents to shoot 47% at the rim. Slightly above average overall but mediocre for someone who's supposed to be "one of the best defensive bigs in the NBA."
- Extremely overrated as a defensive player in general. Currently he's saving -0.51 points per game, -0.56 per 38 minutes. Again, pretty average compared to the league's bigs as a whole, but a so-called elite defensive player should be saving at least 2 points per game.
- Gets worked by any big man with fundamentals and/or a jump shot. Marc Gasol in particular always takes a sloppy wet shit on him. Now, Gasol is an elite big man, but "one of the best defensive bigs in the NBA" should be able to hold his own, especially if they want to be paid the max.
- Useless in the playoffs. The only time he has ever shown up in the playoffs was against a team missing their starting center.

About the only thing he provides is rebounding, and that's not enough to warrant anywhere near $103.5 million. We could find a scrub to get rebounds and brick every shot that isn't a dunk for the league minimum.

You're cherry picking his flaws. He's obviously a limited player, but he brings a lot defensively for the Clippers, rebounding being his priority. He's a low usage, high percentage player that can change the momentum of the game from time to time.

I also never said he's worth $103.5. But he'll most certainly get a huge raise from his already inflated contract, which is how the market works. The Clippers already showed willingness to pay him up to $13.5/mil, so the final numbers would probably be at $15-$16 annually. It's the nature to overpay nowadays and with big men still being a limited commodity, the Clippers would either overpay or trade him.

Clipper Nation
12-06-2014, 05:10 PM
I don't think I'm "cherry-picking" his flaws at all. He's pretty severely flawed in almost every area of the game. I just disagree that a player who literally only consistently provides regular-season rebounding and dunks is a particularly important player.

I'd still do the rumored Horford/Carroll trade in an instant.

spurraider21
12-06-2014, 05:11 PM
Whether CN admits it or not, you can't watch their games and say Jordan doesn't make a huge impact defensively. He does bite on every pump fake, sure... but he alters a ton of shots every time i watch them play. that said, it sounds like he will be overpaid

Clipper Nation
12-06-2014, 05:15 PM
Whether CN admits it or not, you can't watch their games and say Jordan doesn't make a huge impact defensively. He does bite on every pump fake, sure... but he alters a ton of shots every time i watch them play. that said, it sounds like he will be overpaid

Depends on which games you're watching. He looks awesome defensively against scrubs, but when it's time to go against real centers, especially in the playoffs, he disappears and gets torched. His defensive impact is inflated because the center position is so weak.

spurraider21
12-06-2014, 05:17 PM
Depends on which games you're watching. He looks awesome defensively against scrubs, but when it's time to go against real centers, especially in the playoffs, he disappears and gets torched. His defensive impact is inflated because the center position is so weak.
he's not great at defending centers but he's an elite help defender. ibaka-like in that regard but also a better rebounder

StrengthAndHonor
12-06-2014, 05:33 PM
he's not great at defending centers but he's an elite help defender. ibaka-like in that regard but also a better rebounder

This!

When you're dealing with a player of Jordan's size and athletic gifts, it's perfectly natural to be a tad disappointed that he's not one of the league's very best. Jordan's value is really overlooked though. Though his man to man defense still leaves something to be desired, his rotation closeout has improved slowly and his rim protection is and rebounding presence is undeniable.

LkrFan
12-06-2014, 05:35 PM
:lol Don't know why you're laughing, Eduardo. Lakers are about to be paying DeContract prime Shaq money for Kwame Brown production.
Negative s:loln.

Clipper Nation
12-06-2014, 05:36 PM
If his rim protection is "undeniable" then why are his rim protection stats so mediocre (compared to the "elite defensive bigs" he's supposedly as good as)? Plus the eye test certainly doesn't back that up against non-scrub competition.

LkrFan
12-06-2014, 05:40 PM
I don't think I'm "cherry-picking" his flaws at all. He's pretty severely flawed in almost every area of the game. I just disagree that a player who literally only consistently provides regular-season rebounding and dunks is a particularly important player.

I'd still do the rumored Horford/Carroll trade in an instant.

No you wouldn't. Who protects the rim - BG? D:lol it Ballmer!

RsxPiimp
12-06-2014, 06:03 PM
spencer hawes^

Splits
12-06-2014, 06:33 PM
Ayers for DJ. Do it RC!

Robz4000
12-06-2014, 06:54 PM
Ayers for DJ. Do it RC!

Gotta add Daye too

Splits
12-06-2014, 06:59 PM
Gotta add Daye too

And Blair and Bonner

spurraider21
12-06-2014, 07:11 PM
And Blair and Bonner
and neal

Robz4000
12-06-2014, 07:17 PM
and neal

They better take RJ too then.

Clipper Nation
12-06-2014, 07:18 PM
DeContract for Kawhi, final offerPERIOD

spurraider21
12-06-2014, 07:20 PM
http://www.reactiongifs.us/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/thumbs_down_gladiator.gif

Splits
12-06-2014, 07:21 PM

How bout Kiwi for Blake? That'd be interesting...

Clipper Nation
12-06-2014, 07:25 PM
http://www.reactiongifs.us/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/thumbs_down_gladiator.gif

:lol What's wrong with that trade? According to upstairs, Kawhi sucks, is going to be overpaid, and Enrique should dominate the ball all game every game anyway. And you'd be getting "one of the best defensive bigs in the league" in return :downspin:

RsxPiimp
12-06-2014, 07:27 PM

Typical delusional Clipper fan:lmao I saw several clips fans proposing the same idea on clippers forums:lol

Robz4000
12-06-2014, 07:33 PM
:lol What's wrong with that trade? According to upstairs, Kawhi sucks, is going to be overpaid, and Enrique should dominate the ball all game every game anyway. And you'd be getting "one of the best defensive bigs in the league" in return :downspin:

Who upstairs says that? They should be banned immediately.

spurraider21
12-06-2014, 07:34 PM
we've already got Splitter and the Big Banger

Clipper Nation
12-06-2014, 07:35 PM
we've already got Splitter and the Big Banger

You're playing checkers. :downspin:

spurraider21
12-06-2014, 07:36 PM
You're playing checkers. :downspin:
and winning chips :hat

Venti Quattro
12-06-2014, 07:38 PM
When did making monkey dunks equate to a max contract?

Robz4000
12-06-2014, 07:41 PM
When did making monkey dunks equate to a max contract?

In the casual fan's world.

Franklin
12-06-2014, 07:56 PM
Demonkey Jordan is just a Tyson Chandler minus brain tbh. He's non-presence in offense except some occasional offensive rebounds and 2nd chance scores, even at the defensive end he's very overrated just as CN pointed out. Dude gets in foul troubles easily due to his poor defensive awareness and he hardly has any clue of defending skillful bigs, glorified Stromile Swift tbh.

100%duncan
12-06-2014, 08:34 PM
His Defensive presence is a myth. Sportscenter worshipping motherfuckers

scanry
12-06-2014, 09:21 PM
Do it Mitch.

Mitch: Chazz i'll need your advice on this one. Boy this could turn our franchise around.

Franklin
12-06-2014, 09:31 PM
quality bigs are rare commodities in the league these days imho. it'd be stupid of any team to offer him 20m/yr, but what looks more stupid to me is letting Big Daddy TC walk when he just wanted 12-13m a year.

Mikeanaro
12-06-2014, 09:49 PM
quality bigs are rare commodities in the league these days imho. it'd be stupid of any team to offer him 20m/yr, but what looks more stupid to me is letting Big Daddy TC walk when he just wanted 12-13m a year.
Cubes disbanded the team, and there was a time when Steve Nash was a Maverick, letting Nash go was very clever...

Brunodf
12-06-2014, 10:43 PM
Demonkey Jordan is just a Tyson Chandler minus brain tbh. He's non-presence in offense except some occasional offensive rebounds and 2nd chance scores, even at the defensive end he's very overrated just as CN pointed out. Dude gets in foul troubles easily due to his poor defensive awareness and he hardly has any clue of defending skillful bigs, glorified Stromile Swift tbh.
TC plays D

JohnnyMax
12-07-2014, 07:49 AM
Willie Cauley-Stein