PDA

View Full Version : Can Oberto play the 4?

benjirh
08-30-2005, 11:54 AM
I have seen places that show Oberto as a pf. What I really want to know is if he can honestly give us mins. there. I am not sold that we can rely solely on Horry as our backup all year long. Maybe we can. But is there another plan. Was there a summer league guy or a vet out there that we can get for the min? Is this even a concern for anyone else?

sa_butta
08-30-2005, 11:59 AM
I think he could easily be switched around from PF-C depending on where is needed. You could have Horry at PF at times and Oberto at C. Or if you wanted to go big Mohommed/Rasho and Oberto at the same time.

SPARKY
08-30-2005, 12:00 PM
Semantics. What matters is if he can play with TD. If Mohammed can, so can Oberto.

ace3g
08-30-2005, 12:04 PM
Oberto can play the 4 if needed but his natural position is the 5 spot; Oberto will be used for Rebounds and making good passes, oh yeah and to teach Nazr how to hold onto the DAMN ball !!!!!

benjirh
08-30-2005, 12:04 PM
Its not about who can play with duncan. Its about who can play when duncan isn't out there. If Horry is our only backup then what happens if horry gets injured or worse, if duncan gets injured. We also joke about horry is a playoff guy and that is when he really gets going. How do we watch horry's mins during the season if he is our #1 backup.

benjirh
08-30-2005, 12:08 PM
here is what i am worried about:

Oberto vs Nowitzki
Oberto vs Stoudamire
Oberto vs Garnett
Oberto vs Martin
Oberto vs numerous other PF's who would have their way with him.

sa_butta
08-30-2005, 12:10 PM

Oberto vs Nowitzki
Oberto vs Stoudamire
Oberto vs Garnett
Oberto vs Martin
Oberto vs numerous other PF's who would have their way with him.I seriously doubt he would be matched up with starters too much especially this season.

Solid D
08-30-2005, 12:13 PM
Of course he can play the 4. 4 and 5 are pretty much the same with the Spurs. Defensively, he will defend opposing 4s or 5s depending on foul situation and various matchup scenarios.

SPARKY
08-30-2005, 12:14 PM
If the Spurs are playing without TD and Horry they aren't going to win.

benjirh
08-30-2005, 12:15 PM
I agree but if those guys are on the floor and duncan is not, our only option right now is horry. That is what I am concerned about. I am trying to figure out if the spurs will get a min contract guy who would at least be able to hang with those guys or do they believe that oberto can do that. Or are they assuming that they will just always be able to rely on duncan and horry.

SPARKY
08-30-2005, 12:15 PM

Oberto vs Nowitzki
Oberto vs Stoudamire
Oberto vs Garnett
Oberto vs Martin
Oberto vs numerous other PF's who would have their way with him.

Here is what other teams are worried about:

Duncan vs Nowitzki
Duncan vs Stoudamire
Duncan vs Garnett
Duncan vs Martin
Duncan vs numerous other PF's

benjirh
08-30-2005, 12:16 PM
Of course he can play the 4. 4 and 5 are pretty much the same with the Spurs.

are you serious?

Solid D
08-30-2005, 12:20 PM
http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/ng/sp/afpji/20040827/040827223945.jqum2xxq3b.jpg

Solid D
08-30-2005, 12:20 PM
are you serious?

Yes.

Summers
08-30-2005, 12:25 PM
http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/ng/sp/afpji/20040827/040827223945.jqum2xxq3b.jpg

Exactly. Oberto did a pretty decent job of guarding Duncan last summer. Nice pic, btw. :)

benjirh
08-30-2005, 12:26 PM
thanks for the pic. I was not trying to imply that no way could he guard these guys, but i just could not picture or remember oberto at all. so i was picturing a big foreign center who would not move extremely quickly. If he can do it, I am fine with it, I was just curios.

SPARKY
08-30-2005, 12:29 PM
Yeah, it's hard to say that there is a definitive 4 and 5 spot with the Spurs. Also, how many bench bigs in the league are going to win a matchup with those guys listed above? What you worry about is having starter(s) who can and the Spurs have that locked down.

Summers
08-30-2005, 12:33 PM
thanks for the pic. I was not trying to imply that no way could he guard these guys, but i just could not picture or remember oberto at all. so i was picturing a big foreign center who would not move extremely quickly. If he can do it, I am fine with it, I was just curios.

I've been rewatching that game (USA v. Arg) and Oberto's really good. He wasn't their best scorer (that would be Manu and Scola) but he's high energy and a good defender. Also makes great passes and plays smart. I'm very excited to see what he can do for us.

benjirh
08-30-2005, 12:35 PM
Yeah, it's hard to say that there is a definitive 4 and 5 spot with the Spurs. Also, how many bench bigs in the league are going to win a matchup with those guys listed above? What you worry about is having starter(s) who can and the Spurs have that locked down.

Maybe, but on defense it is cleary seperated by who guards the pf position. I also agree that there is no bench big who is going to win a matchup with them, but most teams have several guys who can at least matchup with them. I wasn't even sure I saw him matching up with them. Just like I wouldn't see Nesterovic being able to matchup with any of them.

SPARKY
08-30-2005, 12:36 PM
I think Oberto could do as good of a job as any reserve big at matching up against those guys in limited minutes.

benjirh
08-30-2005, 12:37 PM
I've been rewatching that game (USA v. Arg) and Oberto's really good. He wasn't their best scorer (that would be Manu and Scola) but he's high energy and a good defender. Also makes great passes and plays smart. I'm very excited to see what he can do for us.

who did he spend most of his time guarding? just curious.

benjirh
08-30-2005, 12:38 PM
I think Oberto could do as good of a job as any reserve big at matching up against those guys in limited minutes.

thats all i needed to hear.

Summers
08-30-2005, 12:42 PM
who did he spend most of his time guarding? just curious.

Duncan, before he fouled out. I can't remember who he guarded after that...

dunkman
08-30-2005, 12:45 PM
Oberto is not some weak sleepy stiff. In the past he did well guarding top NBA PF/C's.

Oberto's game is about defense and rebounding. Also, he's a fine passer and a talented offensive player near the basket.

I think that he will be a better fit at 5.

Solid D
08-30-2005, 12:45 PM
Timmy fouled out in 20 minutes. The other big was Boozer.

SPARKY
08-30-2005, 12:47 PM
Oberto will be great against opposing second unit bigmen. That's all that is needed from him.

Summers
08-30-2005, 12:54 PM
Timmy fouled out in 20 minutes. The other big was Boozer.

I was thinking Odom for some reason, but now that you mention it, yeah, Boozer sounds right. And he didn't foul out that quickly did he? He may have only played 20 minutes :lol but it seems like he played well into the second half.

Solid D
08-30-2005, 01:01 PM
I was thinking Odom for some reason, but now that you mention it, yeah, Boozer sounds right. And he didn't foul out that quickly did he? He may have only played 20 minutes :lol but it seems like he played well into the second half.

Correct, Timmy fouled out in 20 minutes of play...not the first 20 min. I wasn't clear enough...sorry about that.

timvp
08-30-2005, 03:34 PM
I found it interesting that Pop compared Oberto to a 'skinny Ben Wallace'. If he becomes a defensive force in the NBA, he'll be starting before long. And if that happens, Mohammed will be gone after this season and the Spurs save money.

Crafty.

SPARKY
08-30-2005, 03:36 PM
I found it interesting that Pop compared Oberto to a 'skinny Ben Wallace'. If he becomes a defensive force in the NBA, he'll be starting before long. And if that happens, Mohammed will be gone after this season and the Spurs save money.

Crafty.

That seems to be the plan. I've called both Mohammed and Nesterovic ceasing to be Spurs within the next 12 months. It will not be surprising to see Oberto starting in 2006-07 with Scola and Horry the two primary reserve bigs.

Solid D
08-30-2005, 03:54 PM
Remember Sparky...just because you say you called it, doesn't necessarily upgrade your basketball IQ.

See Sequ.

jk ;)

marcus
08-30-2005, 03:57 PM
Oberto is not a PF, he is for sure a center. If Nesterovic is too hard to trade then Mohammed should be traded to get something really nice on return for the future.

Everyone believe me when i say that Oberto can take the center position over Mohammed any day.

However, if he is not given much minutes then he wont be able to show what he is capable of.

MaNuMaNiAc
08-30-2005, 04:02 PM

Crafty.
hmm... I wouldn't go so far as to compare him with perhaps the best defender in the league. I've seen Oberto play plenty of times, and he's quite athletic and a very good defender. I'm sure he can play both 4 and 5, seeing as though in the Spur's system, its such a stetch anyway. Still, I wouldn't put him along the lines of Wallace yet.

Nikos
08-30-2005, 04:16 PM

Crafty.

When did he say this? Isn't this at least a huge stretch to compare Oberto to Ben?

timvp
08-30-2005, 04:21 PM
When did he say this? Isn't this at least a huge stretch to compare Oberto to Ben?

He said it yesterday on the radio. I would think it's a pretty huge stretch too, but then again I've seen him play very good defense on Tim Duncan. He was also the anchor to that Argentine gold medal team.

If he brings defense, rebounding and good passing, he'll be starting by the all-star break.

Solid D
08-30-2005, 04:37 PM
Oberto is not a PF, he is for sure a center.

I disagree. He can play and defend both pivot positions for the Spurs.

marcus
08-30-2005, 04:40 PM
Well, he can defend in the 4 position but he is much better for center. I saw him playing with Argentina several times and i don't see him as a 4.

smeagol
08-30-2005, 04:42 PM
That seems to be the plan. I've called both Mohammed and Nesterovic ceasing to be Spurs within the next 12 months. It will not be surprising to see Oberto starting in 2006-07 with Scola and Horry the two primary reserve bigs.
Marcus' new found love for us Argies :lol

Solid D
08-30-2005, 05:10 PM
Well, he can defend in the 4 position but he is much better for center. I saw him playing with Argentina several times and i don't see him as a 4.

If Fabri is going to play for Pop, he'll have to play both post spots. In fact, the Flex Offense that Fabri ran with the NT under Magnano runs two posts, one on each side, at block or elbow, depending on where ball-side is.

I hope that helps you to understand why Fabri can play both post spots (4 and 5) on offense.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
08-30-2005, 05:22 PM
If Fabri is going to play for Pop, he'll have to play both post spots. In fact, the Flex Offense that Fabri ran with the NT under Magnano runs two posts, one on each side, at block or elbow, depending on where ball-side is.

I hope that helps you to understand why Fabri can play both post spots (4 and 5) on offense.

He can play the 4 spot with Tim as 5 without a problem, but I doubt if he could play the 4 with Nazr as 5. Nazr has very short range and not the best hands.

Solid D
08-30-2005, 05:39 PM
He can play the 4 spot with Tim as 5 without a problem, but I doubt if he could play the 4 with Nazr as 5. Nazr has very short range and not the best hands.

I don't see a big problem with Nazr and Oberto on the floor together. Nazr isn't that great out on the floor defending bigs but sometimes that happens, whether he's defending a 4 or a 5. They will both have to defend screen/rolls out high or on the side and get involved in switching to mismatches size-wise.

Offensively, if neither of them can score, then they will have to pass and screen well but it could work just fine.

On the fast break, Pop's primary rule is the first post player out in transition runs to the low post. It could be a 4 or 5. They are fairly interchangeable in many situations.

Money316
08-30-2005, 06:29 PM
Oberto can play the 4 if needed but his natural position is the 5 spot; Oberto will be used for Rebounds and making good passes, oh yeah and to teach Nazr how to hold onto the DAMN ball !!!!!

Yeah and Nazr is gonna help Oberto with his patented pump fake.
:fro :fro :fro

marcus
08-30-2005, 07:42 PM
I don't see a big problem with Nazr and Oberto on the floor together. Nazr isn't that great out on the floor defending bigs but sometimes that happens, whether he's defending a 4 or a 5. They will both have to defend screen/rolls out high or on the side and get involved in switching to mismatches size-wise.

Offensively, if neither of them can score, then they will have to pass and screen well but it could work just fine.

On the fast break, Pop's primary rule is the first post player out in transition runs to the low post. It could be a 4 or 5. They are fairly interchangeable in many situations.

He can play at 4 but he is too slow for that position. With Duncan he can play perfectly but as Manu'sMagicalLeftHand said i don't see him playing at the same time with Mohammed. With both, Mohammed and Oberto we simply are too slow and that doesn't really help.

Nikos
08-30-2005, 08:00 PM
He said it yesterday on the radio. I would think it's a pretty huge stretch too, but then again I've seen him play very good defense on Tim Duncan. He was also the anchor to that Argentine gold medal team.

If he brings defense, rebounding and good passing, he'll be starting by the all-star break.

Part of me thinks Oberto can bring intangibles to the game. Usually foreign players don't adjust to the league until years 2-3. But Oberto has Manu to speed up his learning curve and comfort in his upcoming NBA life.

The other part of me is thinking Oberto is just an insurance policy to have around in case Rasho or Nazr get injured.

What makes you think Oberto will even play significant minutes in his first regular season and when the playoffs roll around?

ducks
08-30-2005, 08:07 PM
I think rasho or nazr will be gone if oberto pains out by feb

Dalamar_the_Dark
08-30-2005, 09:24 PM
You guys are really jumping the gun here I feel. Oberto is new to the system and will have to pick up as he goes along. He wont get many mins for a start a feel. He wont be put on the floor with Nazr together. Nazr will be traded by the deadline if Oberto fits in well. I dont see him starting but it could be that the center position for the Spurs becomes a matter of rotating whoever fits best in terms of guarding the opposing bigs. If it were Shaq, Yao Ming or Big Ben, they will use Rasho. If its someone quicker with a mid range shot, maybe Oberto. If someone whos just a dunker or high flyer, probably Nazr.

Rummpd
08-30-2005, 10:09 PM
I believe Obierto a lot better prepared to play the big NBA PFs than Scola would have been - as mentioned above = a tough player.

Discussed him recently with some Lithuanians who say him play oversees - they think he will eventually start next to Duncan.

Solid D
08-30-2005, 11:13 PM
There will be an adjustment period for him since the FIBA rules are all he's played under. He'll have to hold up on swatting away FTs bouncing around the rim and stuff like that..but he should be happy being able to set up on the low block closer to the basket, and the extra spacing that affords between him and the perimeter players.

He is scheduled to fly to San Antonio on Thursday, Sept. 1st according to this report:

http://www.lmcba.com.ar/2005/05-08-31/6_podio_19.htm

Dalamar_the_Dark
08-30-2005, 11:21 PM
Apparantly, Oberto can set picks well. I like bigs who like to set picks. more pick and rolls for the Spurs.