PDA

View Full Version : Chandler won't jump at Bulls' offer

Manu20
08-30-2005, 12:18 PM
Chandler won't jump at Bulls' offer
By Marlen Garcia
Tribune staff reporter
August 29, 2005, 11:28 PM CDT

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/cs-050829bulls,1,4147463.story?coll=cs-bulls-headlines&ctrack=1&cset=true

The Bulls have offered Tyson Chandler a guaranteed contract in the neighborhood of Samuel Dalembert's six-year, $64 million deal with Philadelphia, which isn't a stunning development given the similarities between the two big men.

In Chandler's case, however, it doesn't seem to be enough.

A source familiar with the negotiations confirmed the offer, and it is believed the Bulls are offering incentives that could make the deal more lucrative for their 7-foot-1-inch restricted free agent.

Just how much guaranteed money Chandler wants is unclear. His agent, Jeff Schwartz, did not respond to a message left Monday afternoon.

An agreement doesn't appear imminent, but Bulls general manager John Paxson said he isn't discouraged, perhaps because he and Schwartz have a strong rapport.

"We feel we're treating Tyson fairly in this," Paxson said. "Both Jeff and I feel we've made good arguments for our sides and have brought up concerns for both of us. Both sides are operating in good faith."

Dalembert, 24, averaged 8.2 points, 7.5 rebounds and 1.68 blocked shots a game last season. The 6-11 center shot 52.4 percent from the field and 60.1 percent from the free-throw line.

Chandler, who will be 23 in October, averaged 8 points, 9.7 rebounds and 1.76 blocked shots last season. He connected on 49.4 percent of his field goals and 67.3 percent of his free throws.

Four years since he was drafted straight out of Dominguez High in California, Chandler remains a work in progress, albeit one full of promise. That's a trait he shares with frontcourt teammate Eddy Curry.

Paxson also wants to re-sign Curry, but his negotiations with agent Leon Rose continue to be complicated by Curry's heart condition and the absence of disability insurance to cover potential problems. Paxson and Rose are scheduled to continue talks Tuesday.

The Bulls are expected to make an offer soon to Darius Songaila, a restricted free agent with Sacramento. They will use the remaining $2.2 million from their midlevel exception on Songaila, and the Kings are unlikely to match.

There still is a chance guards Jannero Pargo and Adrian Griffin will return.

[email protected]

Copyright © 2005, The Chicago Tribune

Sense
08-30-2005, 11:54 PM
I don't know what to think about this...

duncan_21
09-01-2005, 08:40 AM
Seems like a more then fair amount. it's dalembert money and they're very similar skill and stat wise.

alamo50
09-01-2005, 12:14 PM
With Curry gone, Chandler will explode.

AI-square
09-01-2005, 02:01 PM
I'm surprised that Chandler would want more than what Dalembert is getting since the two are so similar at the moment.

Dalembert did spark more interest this post season though. I reckon Dalembert will improve greatly this coming season.

yavozerb
09-01-2005, 02:44 PM
I find it hard to believe that Tyson thinks he is worth all-star type money and I find even more difficult that teams actually pay these idiots like the sixers with Dalembert!!!!!!

Manu20
09-01-2005, 09:05 PM
Updated: Sep. 1, 2005, 9:08 PM ET
Bulls agree to terms with restricted free agent Chandler

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2149152

Restricted free agent forward/center Tyson Chandler and the Chicago Bulls have agreed to a long-term contract, the team announced Thursday.

Terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

"We're very happy that we have come to terms with Tyson and that he will remain a member of the Chicago Bulls, " executive vice president of basketball operations John Paxson said. "Tyson's play last season was an important factor to our success and we hope to take the next step forward with Tyson being a major contributor to our team. He is fully aware of our commitment to him and he understands his responsibility to the organization, our front office and his teammates."

The 7-1, 235-pound Chandler played in a career-high 80 games last season with the Bulls and averaged 8.0 points and career highs of 9.7 rebounds (ninth in the NBA), 1.76 blocks (13th in the league) and 27.4 minutes per game. He also shot 49.4 percent from the field and a career-best .673 from the free throw line.

Chandler led the team in rebounding in 53 games, scored 10 or more points 30 times, grabbed 10 or more rebounds on 36 occasions and registered a team-best 21 double-doubles. His 693 rebounds in a reserve led the league, as did his 131 rejections.

In six playoff games last season, he posted averages of 11.7 ppg, 9.7 rpg, 2.17 bpg and 1.3 apg in 28.7 mpg.

"I'm ecstatic that this contract is done," Chandler said. "To know that I will be in Chicago for the next six years is definitely a dream. Since I've been in Chicago, the city has been my home and it feels so good to go home."

"This is the outcome we were working toward, Chicago is a great city and John is taking the team in the right direction. I am thrilled for Tyson to begin the next chapter of his career with the Bulls," Chandler's agent, Jeff Schwartz, said.