PDA

View Full Version : Michael Finley's Decision Countdown

TheWriter
08-30-2005, 02:37 PM
Any updates?

Dex
08-30-2005, 02:44 PM
Chances are, if he had made up his mind, there would be like 10,000 posts on the front page indicating such.

Patience, grasshoppa. At least we finally got thrown a bone yesterday with the whole NVE thing. Now we have something to enjoy and discuss until Mr. Lazy-Face makes up his mind.

BillsCarnage
08-30-2005, 02:47 PM
Chances are, if he had made up his mind, there would be like 10,000 posts on the front page indicating such.

Patience, grasshoppa. At least we finally got thrown a bone yesterday with the whole NVE thing. Now we have something to enjoy and discuss into Mr. Lazy-Face makes up his mind.

yup, and if he chooses another team besides the Spurs, everyone on this board who is beggin for him to come here will just as soon throw him under the bus as to why he's "worthless".

nkdlunch
08-30-2005, 02:50 PM
noone in this forum is beggin for him to come. Read the posts genius. We ain't the Scrubs I mean, Suns

fraga
08-30-2005, 02:53 PM
Exactly...I have read no where on these boards where we are bending over backwards or begging or mass e-mailing his ass to come here. The overall feeling is hey, if he comes great...if not...oh well...

SenorSpur
08-30-2005, 02:54 PM
yup, and if he chooses another team besides the Spurs, everyone on this board who is beggin for him to come here will just as soon throw him under the bus as to why he's "worthless".

Yeah, you've probably not been keeping up with the posts on this board. There are many out there (like me) who are praying that Finley hop, skip and jump anywhere but S.A.

If we felt obligated to have Finley before, we certainly don't now. Now that
we've signed Nick the Quik.

Looks to me like your Suns need him more than anyone. If nothing more than to try and plug the hole left by the departure of JJ.

SPARKY
08-30-2005, 02:58 PM
Nope, no reason to knock him if he takes more $ elsewhere. Also, no major history of animosity between him and the Spurs, save for the pissing match he got into with Bowen a couple of playoffs ago.

He's not Evil. Just a great player who would be a fine addition to the team. If the Spurs don't get him, then they'll bring back Devin Brown which isn't a bad Plan B for the team.

MiNuS
08-30-2005, 02:58 PM
intercourse Finley! I can care less!

BillsCarnage
08-30-2005, 02:59 PM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23882 - 5 PAGES long

nkdlunch
08-30-2005, 03:02 PM
that's not beggin. Begging is what you do when you ask a girl out.

SenorSpur
08-30-2005, 03:06 PM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23882 - 5 PAGES long

I've been extremely critical of Finley's limited, one-dimensional game. I'm also on record as saying repeatedly the Finley isn't worth the Spurs losing Devin Brown.

Personally, I've got no fight with Fin. He's a good guy.

Smacks of Suns desparation to me. It sounds like you're more worried about this decision than anyone.

If Finley doesn't pick the Suns, you should be afraid - very afraid. Especially if you're entering the season with Leandro Barbosa as your backup PG and only Jim Jackson as your starting 3.

SPARKY
08-30-2005, 03:09 PM
Yeah, out of the top 3 contenders for Finley's services, the Suns need him the worst.

fraga
08-30-2005, 03:09 PM
Besides...if we don't get Finley...what would we be left with...Devin...yeah that's pretty bad...pffff...

timvp
08-30-2005, 03:10 PM
If the Suns don't get Finley, they'll probably have to start a George McCloud, Dan Majerle or perhaps a Richard Dumas.

SPARKY
08-30-2005, 03:11 PM
Dumas. Ouch.

SenorSpur
08-30-2005, 03:11 PM
If the Suns don't get Finley, they'll probably have to start a George McCloud, Dan Majerle or perhaps a Richard Dumas.

Ouch! Hurts so good!

:lol

Kip Fanatic
08-30-2005, 03:13 PM
I just want an answer to get all this over with. Dude needs to make up his mind. Its getting old really quick. Would I like him to come? Yes. If he doesn't, no big deal. The Spurs have a good team regardless. What does he have to think over? All he has to figure out is what does he want more. Money? Go to Miami? More playing time? Go to Phoenix or Minny. A championship? Come to SA. Its that simple. The fact that he is taking a long time to decide makes me wonder where his priorities are at. I think he wants the money now.

MiNuS
08-30-2005, 03:13 PM
If D Brown can come back to form he is better than Finley and cheaper. He was looking awsome until the injury.

I say keep Devin and his head band.

samikeyp
08-30-2005, 03:14 PM
Damn....Richard Dumas smack! :lol

Which will happen in Phx or Miami if he comes her. Although I imagine not all Heat or Suns fans would say that...BillsCarnage is under the impression that ALL Spurs fans here think the EXACT same thing.

SenorSpur
08-30-2005, 03:19 PM
I just want an answer to get all this over with. Dude needs to make up his mind. Its getting old really quick. Would I like him to come? Yes. If he doesn't, no big deal. The Spurs have a good team regardless. What does he have to think over? All he has to figure out is what does he want more. Money? Go to Miami? More playing time? Go to Phoenix or Minny. A championship? Come to SA. Its that simple. The fact that he is taking a long time to decide makes me wonder where his priorities are at. I think he wants the money now.

Doesn't this smack of some of that same "Queen Bitch" melodrama the Karl Malone put this organization through all last summer and up through the All-star break.

I never considered Finley to be a diva, but I'm sure he is an athlete with a lot of pride. That pride was surely stung when the Mavs released him - but I digress.

"Which nut you want it in. Make a decision. Just make a decision"

- Denzel Washington, (as he holds two guns to the crotch of a would-be felon) from the movie Training Day.

JUUOT
08-30-2005, 03:23 PM
they should not be afraid cause boris diaw will prove the type of player he is.

concerning finley. if he comes i will be fine with it but not a priority concerning me

Dex
08-30-2005, 03:24 PM
Though Finley would undoubtedly be a great addition to this team, I also want to see him end up here just so everybody else in the basketball country will be peeved that the best team in the league managed to have one of the best offseasons. Everybody knows that adding forces like Oberto, Finley, and Van Exel to an already champion-caliber squad is very, very scary....for everybody else. :king

"Damn those Spurs! They done it again!"

G-Nob
08-30-2005, 03:27 PM
Here's an update:
Finley just clanked another playoff jumper.

picnroll
08-30-2005, 03:27 PM
Any word on who Malone's signing with?

SPARKY
08-30-2005, 03:29 PM
You can't knock Finley for taking a little time to make his decision. Now, if he was saying that he was retiring, then he was coming back, then he wanted to be a Laker, then maybe a Spur, then maybe a Heat, then maybe a Timberwolf, then perhaps a Laker again, then Vanessa's sugar daddy, then maybe retired....perhaps so.

marcus
08-30-2005, 03:32 PM
Besides there is something else, if we don't sign Finley and re-sign Brown we will still have 2,7 millons of MLE!

Not to mention that Brown is 5 years younger than Finley.

Solid D
08-30-2005, 03:33 PM
The interest on where Finley goes is very high, but most Spurs fans aren't wringing their hands and pacing the floor in hopes of signing Michael.

If you look at the NBA Championship lineup of 12 compared to a projected 12-man lineup including Devin Brown in 2005-06, it is an upgrade:

2004-05
N. Mohammed....R. Nesterovic........T. Massenburg
T. Duncan.........R. Horry
B. Bowen..........D. Brown..............G. Robinson
E. Ginobili..........B. Barry
T. Parker...........B. Udrih

2005-06
N. Mohammed....F. Oberto........R. Nesterovic
T. Duncan.........R. Horry
B. Bowen..........D. Brown
E. Ginobili..........B. Barry
T. Parker..........N. Van Exel......B. Udrih

The Spurs have not only improved in the Pivot and at the Point, they have upgraded 1st off the bench at the Pivot and at the Point. In the tone of Bill Parcells..."no offense to all the Slovenians out there"

Shelly
If Finley signs here, will the SBC center play Carribean Queen every time he scores?

SenorSpur
By now Finley should know what's important to him:

- Money
- Playing time
- or championship

Each team offers something a bit different with Miami probably better able to offer a mix of all three. Anyway, this shit is chess. It aint checkers. Make a decision and Let's get on with life. There are other FA whose job situations are hanging in the balance.

Zan the Fan
08-30-2005, 03:36 PM
Methinks you meant this is checkers, not chess.

But who says NVE takes Beno's backup duties all season? Did Steve Kerr log serious burn until the playoffs in '03? No, Speedy did. Beno just struggled against perhaps the most intense pressure he'd ever seen in his life, not to mention some of the most intense pressure ANYONE in the NBA had seen all season! Damn. When did Beno become the new Rasho around here?

:duck

marcus
08-30-2005, 03:41 PM

But who says NVE takes Beno's backup duties all season? Did Steve Kerr log serious burn until the playoffs in '03? No, Speedy did. Beno just struggled against perhaps the most intense pressure he'd ever seen in his life, not to mention some of the most intense pressure ANYONE in the NBA had seen all season! Damn. When did Beno become the new Rasho?

Oh, damn. Rasho's problem is not his playing level but his salary. Udrih is a totally different situation. In the next 2 years he will earn crap considered to what he can give on the court besides he still has potential to improve.

Solid D
08-30-2005, 03:48 PM
Van Exel is hired for the playoffs, but let's face it, Van Exel has only averaged under 30 min./game on 2 occasions and that was with Dallas (2001-02 28.0, 2002-03 27.8).

Nick has been an All-Star. No question who is 1st off the bench in the playoffs.

Udrih takes a back seat to Van Exel unless Beno really upgrades his effectiveness or unless Nick gets in Pop's doghouse.

BillsCarnage
08-30-2005, 03:50 PM
Smacks of Suns desparation to me. It sounds like you're more worried about this decision than anyone.

If Finley doesn't pick the Suns, you should be afraid - very afraid. Especially if you're entering the season with Leandro Barbosa as your backup PG and only Jim Jackson as your starting 3.

I don't really care if the Suns get Finley. In fact i rather they skip on him and sign Padgett. They're overloaded at the 2 and it would mean trading JJax who is and excellent bench player. It would also screw up the development of Jones.

marcus
08-30-2005, 03:51 PM
Van Exel is hired for the playoffs, but let's face it, Van Exel has only averaged under 30 min./game on 2 occasions and that was with Dallas (2001-02 28.0, 2002-03 27.8).
Udrih takes a back seat to Van Exel unless Beno really upgrades his effectiveness or unless Nick gets in Pop's doghouse.

I believe Udrih wont see much action next season but he will still have a cheap salary next year and a lot of potential. Besides, by that time he will be a lot more nba experienced.

marcus
08-30-2005, 03:53 PM
I don't really care if the Suns get Finley. In fact i rather they skip on him and sign Padgett. They're overloaded at the 2 and it would mean trading JJax who is and excellent bench player. It would also screw up the development of Jones.

I think trading Richardson for Thomas was a stupid decision and also letting Hunter go. JJ trade was a good move through.

BillsCarnage
08-30-2005, 03:59 PM
I think trading Richardson for Thomas was a stupid decision and also letting Hunter go. JJ trade was a good move through.

They needed more inside rebounding and D. The Spurs exposed that so that's why KT was brought in. Will have to wait until the season starts to see how it works.
Hunter wanted to sign here, but after overpaying for Bell they couldn't sign him for anything more than the one year offer. Would have been good if he could have stayed, but that's the situation.

Including the package from Atl for JoJo you can lump Jones into that package as part of the trade ex was used to get him.

:fro

marcus
08-30-2005, 04:02 PM
They needed more inside rebounding and D. The Spurs exposed that so that's why KT was brought in. Will have to wait until the season starts to see how it works.
Hunter wanted to sign here, but after overpaying for Bell they couldn't sign him for anything more than the one year offer. Would have been good if he could have stayed, but that's the situation.

Including the package from Atl for JoJo you can lump Jones into that package as part of the trade ex was used to get him.

:fro

Hunter would had been a much better pick than Bell for the same money. About the richardson trade i believe he is a much better player. One interesting option for the suns could have been Zaza Pachulia or even Dale Davis to start together with Hunter.

timvp
08-30-2005, 04:06 PM
If Finley signs here, will the SBC center play Carribean Queen every time he scores?

:lol

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000004VK.01.LZZZZZZZ.gif

timvp
08-30-2005, 04:10 PM
The funny thing is other teams are dying for Michael Finley. The Spurs and their fans don't really care.

I, for one, prefer Devin over MF. Given that, I understand where the Spurs are coming from. MF is a two-time all-star and has had some good moments with Team USA. He'd give you a scoring punch off the bench, which was severely lacking last season. And perhaps most importantly, the Spurs would keep him away from PHX (where he would start) and MIA (where he would limit Antoine Walker's minutes).

He's kind of addition by subtraction.

Useruser666
08-30-2005, 04:14 PM
I like Devin, but I've already had the Monty Williams scared out of me!

marcus
08-30-2005, 04:17 PM
The funny thing is other teams are dying for Michael Finley. The Spurs and their fans don't really care.

I, for one, prefer Devin over MF. Given that, I understand where the Spurs are coming from. MF is a two-time all-star and has had some good moments with Team USA. He'd give you a scoring punch off the bench, which was severely lacking last season. And perhaps most importantly, the Spurs would keep him away from PHX (where he would start) and MIA (where he would limit Antoine Walker's minutes).

He's kind of addition by subtraction.

In my opinion Finley's deal could be a great addition for the spurs if first we get something nice in exchange for Brown ( i am talking about some future 1st pick).

usckk
08-30-2005, 04:22 PM
It's official.

marcus
08-30-2005, 04:24 PM
It's official.

:elephant , what is official? :rolleyes

whottt

But who says NVE takes Beno's backup duties all season? Did Steve Kerr log serious burn until the playoffs in '03? No, Speedy did. Beno just struggled against perhaps the most intense pressure he'd ever seen in his life, not to mention some of the most intense pressure ANYONE in the NBA had seen all season! Damn. When did Beno become the new Rasho around here?

Kerr actually was the back up PG for most of the season due to Speedy's injury...he played well in that role all season long and it probably contributed to his confidence at playoff time.

Kerr was a bigger part of that championship than Speedy Claxton, whose contribution was basically game 6 of the finals and little else.

usckk
I'm being an ass. Don't listen to me.

ducks
08-30-2005, 06:06 PM
Tuesday August 30, 2005 5:56PM

It seems like a no-brainer. Michael Finley is sure to sign with the Heat, right? After all, Miami can offer him more money than Phoenix or San Antonio -- as well as a chance to play with Shaq for an NBA title.

Why is Finley hesitating?

"I haven't decided yet," the free-agent shooting guard said Tuesday as he left the West Loop Athletic Club in Chicago, where he was working out with his personal trainer. "I should know by the end of the week."

It remains a good bet when all is said and done Finley, perhaps the top free agent left on the market, will sign with the Heat. After all, Miami has its full mid-level exception available -- $5 million next season -- while San Antonio can offer only $2.5 million and Phoenix the veteran's minimum of $1.1 million. Although an offset clause in the league's waiver rules would require Finley to give back around half of any new deal to his old Mavericks team, that's still a million good reasons to bypass the Spurs and two million to spurn the Suns.

But if the 32-year-old veteran has decided on plying his trade in South Beach next season he apparently hasn't told newly-acquired Heat forward Antoine Walker.

Finley and Walker have been working out almost daily at the West Loop club, formerly known as Hoops The Gym. On Tuesday, Finley emerged from the facility around 1:30 p.m. as Walker and several other NBA players were arriving for afternoon pickup games. Finley, ice bags taped to his knees, stopped to chat briefly with Bucks guard Bobby Simmons, then climbed into his black Land Rover.

Walker showed up just as Finley was pulling out of the driveway. "What'd Mike say?" Walker asked, seemingly as in the dark as everybody else. Told that Finley hadn't yet decided, Walker just shrugged.

If Finley were locked into the Heat, wouldn't he have given some indication by now to his fellow Chicagoan and potential teammate? Or was Walker merely acting as if he didn't know?

Either way, the fact it's taking Finley so long to decide can't be bad news for Suns GM Bryan Colangelo. Phoenix would love to add Finley to its backcourt rotation, especially after losing Joe Johnson. While the Suns can't offer as much money, they can offer Finley a chance to play for a championship and be reunited with his buddy Steve Nash. They also have the full $5 million mid-level exception to offer Finley in the summer of 2006.

"I think he's going to continue to ponder this and maybe decide later in the week," Colangelo said Tuesday. "He's not ready to make a decision yet."

The Spurs also remain in the hunt for Finley's services. San Antonio reportedly had offered Finley the remaining $2.5 million from its mid-level exception for next season. But Finley might be leery of joining an already-crowded Spurs perimeter, a situation that figures to be worsened with Monday's addition of Nick Van Exel.

That's why everybody around the league seems to think Finley will wind up in Miami. The Heat might have a bit of a crowd in the perimeter as well, especially with Walker and James Posey now there logging minutes at small forward, but there are many other intangibles to attract him. He has a relationship with coach Stan Van Gundy dating back to their Wisconsin days. He shares the same agent, Henry Thomas, as Heat superstar Dwyane Wade. He also knows the Heat are serious about him, given last week's personal visit from Pat Riley, who traveled to Chicago along with Van Gundy to pitch Finley on the idea of joining Miami's redesigned juggernaut. If that's not enough, the Heat even hung banners with Finley pictured in a Heat uniform outside American Airlines Arena.

Money316
08-30-2005, 06:20 PM

Bill - I'll throw his ass under the Via bus right now before he announces. If he signs, he signs. Spurs won without him. Phoenix lost JJ. If Suns get him, Spurs still ahead.