PDA

View Full Version : NBA: How good is George Karl?,,,

HemisfairArena
12-11-2014, 01:31 AM
Will 'Melo ever have the type of success he had in Denver? Karl made that dude look like a legit superstar,,,hell,,,we saw Karl do the same thing in Seattle with Kemp and Payton,,,the same Payton that hung on to Wade and Shaq's leg like Van Gundy to get a ring.. I use to bag on Karl all the time but I was wrong,,,,way wrong. Just look at 'Melo and the Nuggets now,,,

Floyd Pacquiao
12-11-2014, 01:47 AM
He's alright I guess. He had a cute little run n gun system but it never really amounted to anything but 1 wcf appearance in the modern era.

Kool Bob Love
12-11-2014, 01:54 AM
Just good.

DMC
12-11-2014, 02:01 AM
Not worth a fuck. You don't fire a good coach, you fire a not worth a fuck coach you allowed to fester for years because he had cancer. Blah blah Tom Landry etc....

ambchang
12-11-2014, 09:27 AM
Karl was very unconventional in the way he coaches, and he is willing to push the boundaries of what is legal.

For example, the Sonics played pretty much a zone defense back in the mid 90s, when it was illegal to do so, but Karl pushed the envelop to see how many times the officials will call illegal defense on them.

He had this system where he create mismatches, and run these crazy small ball schemes (before they were popular). He is very similar to Don Nelson in that regard.

As for Payton, he was 37 when he won a ring in Miami. He was still good when McMillan was the coach with the Sonics, so it's not accurate to say that Karl created Payton. As for Kemp, he was still good with the Cavs, he just got really fat during the lockout and fell off a cliff after that.

I think Karl is a very good coach, in a mad scientist kind of way. He wasn't as crazy as Don Nelson, but he does have some really new ways of coaching a basketball team. That said, he's a gimmicky coach, and it would be difficult for his coaching style to ever win a championship. Him leading the Sonics to the Finals in 96 was unexpected.

RsxPiimp
12-11-2014, 09:29 AM
Not in Byron Scott's league for sure

Splits
12-11-2014, 09:38 AM
Still unsure why teams don't gamble on him and hire the likes of Byr:loln Scott and McPh:lolil

He's never won shit, but his mediocre teams were always in the playoffs.

RsxPiimp
12-11-2014, 09:43 AM
Still unsure why teams don't gamble on him and hire the likes of Byr:loln Scott and McPh:lolil

He's never won shit, but his mediocre teams were always in the playoffs.

McHale I can understand, but no professional NBA team in this day and age should ever hire a guy who preaches a "play hard, foul hard" type of defense :lol

Splits
12-11-2014, 09:47 AM
McHale I can understand, but no professional NBA team in this day and age should ever hire a guy who preaches a "play hard, foul hard" type of defense :lol

Huh? I never got that sense from Karl. Or are you talking about "Byron" let's talk about defense but not practice it "Scott"?

Color me confused

RsxPiimp
12-11-2014, 09:54 AM
Huh? I never got that sense from Karl. Or are you talking about "Byron" let's talk about defense but not practice it "Scott"?

Color me confused
I was talking about Scott :lol dude is flat out horrible.

Splits
12-11-2014, 10:01 AM
I was talking about Scott :lol dude is flat out horrible.

:lol ok

Thought you dropped off the deep end there for a moment

Splits
12-11-2014, 10:03 AM
I really don't like the taste of HH37 balls in my face, but dude pegged Scott from the beginning

Thread
12-11-2014, 10:07 AM
^Site sorehead is up & about.