PDA

View Full Version : Marco played down the stretch over Kawhi/Danny last two losses

wildchild
12-13-2014, 01:49 AM
In tight situations Danny has shown that he's not afraid to take a big shot. (Tonight against Lakers 5-9 from 3. Marco 2-5 from 3)

Kawhi needs to play in clutch time as part of learning process to develop his game. (Tuesday against Jazz 7-13 5 steals 5 assists. Marco 0-2 from 3, 0 assists)

In both games they were benched to play Marco...it seems like Pop/Messina think the offense is more fluid with Beli but the results show another thing.

Why he's still out there playing crucial moments over the other two guys?

Malik Hairston
12-13-2014, 01:58 AM
Same thing happened in last year's regular season, too..

Pop stuck with it in the Mavs' series and it almost killed the Spurs..luckily, he cut Belinelli's minutes going forward in the playoffs..

Hopefully he doesn't try to play him in the playoffs this year, he's just way too much of a liability..any decent wing player torches him, it's fucking pathetic..

KL2
12-13-2014, 01:59 AM
I fear Belli will be useless in the playoffs once again, I just don't really see an improvement defensively, at least not yet. I was hoping he'd pull a Mills and come back different physically, but no. All he really is in the playoffs is a stand still 3pt shooter, most of his passing and all that other stuff is gone, even then the 3pt game is usually neutralized by most elite defenses by simply running them off the line and trying.

Should this continue this'll definitely affect Leonard/Green's growth, they need to be put in these situations.

Harry Callahan
12-13-2014, 02:00 AM
Same thing happened in last year's regular season, too..

Pop stuck with it in the Mavs' series and it almost killed the Spurs..luckily, he cut Belinelli's minutes going forward in the playoffs..

Hopefully he doesn't try to play him in the playoffs this year, he's just way too much of a liability..any decent wing player torches him, it's fucking pathetic..

No Kawhi tonight put too much pressure on Danny Green. Remember he got a least one touch foul against Bryant early on and had two fairly quick fouls tonight.

apalisoc_9
12-13-2014, 02:01 AM
Belli is the new Jefferson

Malik Hairston
12-13-2014, 02:02 AM
No Kawhi tonight put too much pressure on Danny Green. Remember he got a least one touch foul against Bryant early on and had two fairly quick fouls tonight.
Oh, I fully understand the decision to play Beli tonight, it couldn't be avoided with Kawhi being out..

I'm not even against playing Belinelli in the regular season, he's generally a good regular season performer that helps the Spurs' buy rest for Manu and Parker..

It's just a matter of being afraid of seeing him in the playoffs again, tbh..

Harry Callahan
12-13-2014, 02:03 AM
Belli is the new Jefferson

Sorry, I can't throw Belli under the Dick Jefferson bus. He's better than that guy and he did have some really good moments in the playoffs last year. In other words, we won the LOB last year and he had a positive effect on that team overall.

ElNono
12-13-2014, 02:04 AM
In tight situations Danny has shown that he's not afraid to take a big shot. (Tonight against Lakers 5-9 from 3. Marco 2-5 from 3)

Kawhi needs to play in clutch time as part of learning process to develop his game. (Tuesday against Jazz 7-13 5 steals 5 assists. Marco 0-2 from 3, 0 assists)

In both games they were benched to play Marco...it seems like Pop/Messina think the offense is more fluid with Beli but the results show another thing.

Why he's still out there playing crucial moments over the other two guys?

I think it has to do with the idea that Beli can make plays for himself or others better than Danny can. He's another creator on the floor. I'm not sure if he would be there if Tony is also in the game, but I think that's what the rationale is/was.

Harry Callahan
12-13-2014, 02:05 AM
Oh, I fully understand the decision to play Beli tonight, it couldn't be avoided with Kawhi being out..

I'm not even against playing Belinelli in the regular season, he's generally a good regular season performer that helps the Spurs' buy rest for Manu and Parker..

It's just a matter of being afraid of seeing him in the playoffs again, tbh..

I hear ya'. Beli has to be involved in smaller blocks of playing time in the POs.

Malik Hairston
12-13-2014, 02:20 AM
I think it has to do with the idea that Beli can make plays for himself or others better than Danny can. He's another creator on the floor. I'm not sure if he would be there if Tony is also in the game, but I think that's what the rationale is/was.

Green always draws attention when the Spurs can use a 3, though, even when he doesn't get the shot attempt..

Against the Nets, Manu had a great look, partly because the Nets kept 1 or 2 defenders parked on Green..in the last few possessions tonight, the Lakers kept Wes Johnson on Green in the corner, which opened things up for Manu/Duncan to operate in the middle..

Don't really understand why Pop wouldn't have him on the floor as a diversion, at least, which would have given Manu a better look, or could have opened up the floor for an attack to the basket against the worst interior defense in the league..

marinoman
12-13-2014, 02:26 AM
i like what's happening here, let him play down the stretch, deal with late game pressure in the reg. season. If he cant come through, shorten his minutes in the playoffs. Let us, him and Pop see if he can find confidence and good play now rather than later.

ElNono
12-13-2014, 02:29 AM
Green always draws attention when the Spurs can use a 3, though, even when he doesn't get the shot attempt..

Against the Nets, Manu had a great look, partly because the Nets kept 1 or 2 defenders parked on Green..in the last few possessions tonight, the Lakers kept Wes Johnson on Green in the corner, which opened things up for Manu/Duncan to operate in the middle..

Don't really understand why Pop wouldn't have him on the floor as a diversion, at least, which would have given Manu a better look, or could have opened up the floor for an attack to the basket against the worst interior defense in the league..

I think Danny is a great decoy, but I also think he would be out there if we had another playmaker alongside Manu, like Tony. Unfortunately if the defense traps Gino in those situations you might end up with Cojo or Danny having to make a play off the dribble, and I think the coaches have more confidence in Marco handling those situations, be it penetrate and kick or finishing than Danny at this stage.

I've given Danny props this season for improving his in-between game, but I'm still hesitant at times, and I'm not sure I'd like to see him put in those situations...

apalisoc_9
12-13-2014, 02:37 AM
I think Danny is a great decoy, but I also think he would be out there if we had another playmaker alongside Manu, like Tony. Unfortunately if the defense traps Gino in those situations you might end up with Cojo or Danny having to make a play off the dribble, and I think the coaches have more confidence in Marco handling those situations, be it penetrate and kick or finishing than Danny at this stage.

I've given Danny props this season for improving his in-between game, but I'm still hesitant at times, and I'm not sure I'd like to see him put in those situations...

This doesn't explain benching kawhi...

ElNono
12-13-2014, 02:38 AM
This doesn't explain benching kawhi...

That wasn't the argument I was responding to... I don't know why Kawhi was benched in any instance. Obviously, tonight he couldn't go. I don't know what happened the previous time.

ElNono
12-13-2014, 02:39 AM
Actually, it's quite possible he was benched in the Utah game just as a precautionary measure since his hand was hurt.

rasuo214
12-13-2014, 02:57 AM
If Pop wanted a 3 at the end of OT why was CoJo in the game over Danny Green?

Johnny RIngo
12-13-2014, 04:28 AM
I'm imagining an alternate reality where the Spurs have Korver instead of this Italian piece of shit. Can't believe one player can drag a team down so much.