PDA

View Full Version : Pop yelling at Diaw..

Malik Hairston
12-13-2014, 02:47 AM
That was sad, tbh..

Screaming at Boris and humiliating him on National TV, and subsequently benches him for the entire OT in favor of Bonner, all because Diaw didn't want to attempt a difficult inbounds pass that could have resulted in a turnover?

Love Pop, but sometimes he takes it too far, tbh..

Was he channeling his inner Kobe and hoping he could get all the credit for a Spurs win on an inbounds play that he drew up?:lol..That ego, tbh..

midnightpulp
12-13-2014, 02:48 AM
Pop's micromanaging seems to be excessive this year.

HI-FI
12-13-2014, 02:50 AM
i admit i laughed, angry Pop is funny and scary at the same time, but hopefully he "gets over himself" as he would say. I felt bad for Bobo.

benstanfield
12-13-2014, 02:52 AM
Pop has actually been pretty bad this year if we're being honest. Don't blame him for being hungover tho

Amuseddaysleeper
12-13-2014, 02:57 AM
Kobe would've stolen that pass to Manu, I don't blame Diaw for not attempting it.

BatManu20
12-13-2014, 03:00 AM
Rarely question Pop but that was dumb. Bonner hurt us in OT (as usual) with his missed wide open 3, missed FT, and horrendous rebounding. Any time he's in the game it's guaranteed offensive boards for the other team.

Robz4000
12-13-2014, 03:11 AM
In all honesty, I've been questioning Pop more this year than I have since 2011. His decision making has just been terrible and he's humiliating the team more than ever. If anyone in the organization has let the title get to their head its Pop. Not even sure I consider him a top 3 coach atm.

1. RC
2. Coach Bud
3. Joerger
4. Pop/Thibs
6. Kerr (I'd have him higher if he were an established coach)
7. Spoelstra
8. Vogel
9. Wittman
10. Malone (tho I severely question his clutch-time playcalling)

Rest are a steep drop off

Malik Hairston
12-13-2014, 03:19 AM
:lol this thread isn't questioning Pop's coaching, he's the best in the league..

I just find it annoying sometimes how he acts towards the players, especially on national tv..

Screaming at Diaw like that for such a stupid reason was painful to watch IMO..

DJR210
12-13-2014, 03:19 AM
In all honesty, I've been questioning Pop more this year than I have since 2011. His decision making has just been terrible and he's humiliating the team more than ever. If anyone in the organization has let the title get to their head its Pop. Not even sure I consider him a top 3 coach atm.

1. RC
2. Coach Bud
3. Joerger
4. Pop/Thibs
6. Kerr (I'd have him higher if he were an established coach)
7. Spoelstra
8. Vogel
9. Wittman
10. Malone (tho I severely question his clutch-time playcalling)

Rest are a steep drop off

What the fuck? No Derek Fisher?

ElNono
12-13-2014, 03:21 AM
That was sad, tbh..

Screaming at Boris and humiliating him on National TV, and subsequently benches him for the entire OT in favor of Bonner, all because Diaw didn't want to attempt a difficult inbounds pass that could have resulted in a turnover?

Was he channeling his inner Kobe and hoping he could get all the credit for a Spurs win on an inbounds play that he drew up?:lol..That ego, tbh..

I don't know the frustration is just over that one play, tbh... Bobo has been pretty underwhelming and passive the last few games... maybe that was just the straw that broke the camel's back for Pop... we'll never know, but just throwing it out there...

DJR210
12-13-2014, 03:21 AM
I'd take Pop being an asshole and in charge, over a cool guy giving suggestions anyday.

Malik Hairston
12-13-2014, 03:25 AM
I'd take Pop being an asshole and in charge, over a cool guy giving suggestions anyday.

Pop being an asshole is fine when it calls for it..

When Danny Green fouled against the Nets and Pop killed him for it, it was warranted, for example..

The Diaw incident was exacerbated by Pop benching him for the entire OT..

Robz4000
12-13-2014, 03:29 AM
:lol this thread isn't questioning Pop's coaching, he's the best in the league..

I just find it annoying sometimes how he acts towards the players, especially on national tv..

Is he, though? Last year for sure but I feel like the lack of hunger and the self-satisfaction from 5 has made him complacent. RC has been right behind him for awhile so him surpassing Pop isn't much of a stretch; always thought Bud was a big part of Pop's growth over the years and what he's doing in Atlanta with Paul Millsap and Jeff fucking Teague (actually like his game) as their best players is remarkable.

Joerger is just a kneejerk name I threw up there for the hell of it, but he's done a great job with that team with no notable perimeter threats.

DJR210
12-13-2014, 03:32 AM

When Danny Green fouled against the Nets and Pop killed him for it, it was warranted, for example..

That's the old stubborn son of a bitch in him

Mouth is Bleeding
12-13-2014, 03:37 AM
Worst mistake in this game was paying way too much attention/doubling a 39 percent shooter forcing him to pass to wide open teammates.

Chris
12-13-2014, 03:39 AM
He's putting on a show. It's all nod nod wink wink after the game and at practice.

ElNono
12-13-2014, 03:45 AM
Is he, though? Last year for sure but I feel like the lack of hunger and the self-satisfaction from 5 has made him complacent. RC has been right behind him for awhile so him surpassing Pop isn't much of a stretch; always thought Bud was a big part of Pop's growth over the years and what he's doing in Atlanta with Paul Millsap and Jeff fucking Teague (actually like his game) as their best players is remarkable.

Joerger is just a kneejerk name I threw up there for the hell of it, but he's done a great job with that team with no notable perimeter threats.

Regular season is fine, but you see the best of them in the playoffs, IMO... I like a lot of those guys you mentioned, though.

KaiRMD1
12-13-2014, 03:54 AM
Luckily, it's only 2014

Robz4000
Regular season is fine, but you see the best of them in the playoffs, IMO... I like a lot of those guys you mentioned, though.

In terms of playoffs and gameplanning/strategizing, Pop was passed a while ago. 2011 was a coaching masterpiece of the highest order; without RC that team is steamrolled by Portland. Coach Bud had a gimmicky game plan last year against a disintegrating Pacers team, but the fact he took a severely undertalented Atlanta team to 7 games was nothing short of spectacular. Hell, Hollins in 2011 outcoached Pop simply by puffing his chest and pumping up his team, while Scotty fucking Brooks got him by performing a tactic used on the Spurs several times in the past to great effect. Pop belongs on the Mt. Rushmore of coaches but he's made a lot of blunders, especially in the post season; he's the GOAT at installing a system and instilling a winning culture and a great guy overall, but when it comes to Xs and Os he isn't the best of the best.

Dingle Barry
I can't bring myself to give a fuck about grown ass millionaire athletes getting yelled at, national tv or otherwise. The benching in favor of Bonners faggoty ass is enraging, though.

Sean Cagney
12-13-2014, 04:03 AM
Rarely question Pop but that was dumb. Bonner hurt us in OT (as usual) with his missed wide open 3, missed FT, and horrendous rebounding. Any time he's in the game it's guaranteed offensive boards for the other team.

Bonner can't hit shit nowadays as you just said, but Pop seems to go to him when things are down and his boy never produces it seems. He sucks now, never was great but now he can't even do what he did before which is hit some threes. I can't wait until he retires.

Spursfanfromafar
12-13-2014, 05:06 AM
Pop doesn't care shite for national TV. He was possibly getting cross at Diaw for not inbounding quickly enough. And tbh, Diaw has been damn passive for a few games now.

r0drig0lac
12-13-2014, 05:43 AM
pop was correct

ceperez
12-13-2014, 06:58 AM
Pop doesn't care shite for national TV. He was possibly getting cross at Diaw for not inbounding quickly enough. And tbh, Diaw has been damn passive for a few games now.

Pop still gave Diaw the opportunity to inbound the last play in OT. Although

(1) They took a 3 point shot when they only needed 2.
(2) They took Green out of the game in favor of Belinelli

TheGreatYacht
12-13-2014, 07:31 AM
Is everyone just gonna forget about putting Belinelli on Young? This dude thinks he can defy logic.

EVAY
12-13-2014, 08:11 AM
Worst mistake in this game was paying way too much attention/doubling a 39 percent shooter forcing him to pass to wide open teammates.

Couldn't agree more.

EVAY
12-13-2014, 08:12 AM

littlecoyotecoin
12-13-2014, 09:13 AM
Bonner can't hit shit nowadays as you just said, but Pop seems to go to him when things are down and his boy never produces it seems. He sucks now, never was great but now he can't even do what he did before which is hit some threes. I can't wait until he retires.

Don't believe your eyes, or let the disappointment from a recent loss cloud your judgement. Bonner is shooting 41% from 3 this season. Just recently down from higher, and pretty much right on pace for his career average 42%. There is no statistically significant difference in that number. That is good for second best on the team, I believe, only behind Parker's anomolous uncounscious shooting from 3.

You can say he's not clutch, can't shoot in the playoffs, or some other more difficult to quantify thing, or pick on a stat that is more quantifiable; rebounding maybe, etc. But, he gets his minutes because he can do the exact opposite of what you're claiming, which is shoot. If he does suck so badly, the team should play better for the first three quarters so they don't have to have Bonner try to bail them out at the end with a game-saving 3. When games come down to the wire like that, there is little margin for error. A launched three at the end of a game, no matter who shoots it, is still just a chance and a hope for a victory. Guaranteed victories happen in the first three quarters.

This particular game was not a good game for him. He did contribute to the loss. But, the team played good enough to win in the fourth quarter and overtime. They just didn't win. When you play poorly for the first 3-3.5 quarters and then try to flip a switch at the end, sometimes you miss the switch flipping timing by a hair. They didn't really have any business winning that game last night. Some of their predicament was Bonner's fault, but there was plenty of reasons and blame to spread around.

There was a perfect storm of our bad play, injuries, and a ridiculous and timely shooting display from The Lakers that caused that loss.

It seems formulaic in our last few losses, that there's some coasting going on, and then during serious time, they just don't quite have enough to pull out the victory before time expires. It's frustrating to watch, but I have hope that this won't be a prevailing attitude or experience when everyone is healthy and we're playing playoff contenders.

littlecoyotecoin
12-13-2014, 09:17 AM
Is everyone just gonna forget about putting Belinelli on Young? This dude thinks he can defy logic.

It didn't seem to matter who was on Young, tbh. He could have nailed threes from a sleeping bag at midcourt last night.

Buddy Mignon
12-13-2014, 09:18 AM
Wow... you dirty fucking hypocrites.

pgardn
12-13-2014, 09:22 AM
Don't believe your eyes, or let the disappointment from a recent loss cloud your judgement. Bonner is shooting 41% from 3 this season. Just recently down from higher, and pretty much right on pace for his career average 42%. There is no statistically significant difference in that number. That is good for second best on the team, I believe, only behind Parker's anomolous uncounscious shooting from 3.

You can say he's not clutch, can't shoot in the playoffs, or some other more difficult to quantify thing, or pick on a stat that is more quantifiable; rebounding maybe, etc. But, he gets his minutes because he can do the exact opposite of what you're claiming, which is shoot. If he does suck so badly, the team should play better for the first three quarters so they don't have to have Bonner try to bail them out at the end with a game-saving 3. When games come down to the wire like that, there is little margin for error. A launched three at the end of a game, no matter who shoots it, is still just a chance and a hope for a victory. Guaranteed victories happen in the first three quarters.

This particular game was not a good game for him. He did contribute to the loss. But, the team played good enough to win in the fourth quarter and overtime. They just didn't win. When you play poorly for the first 3-3.5 quarters and then try to flip a switch at the end, sometimes you miss the switch flipping timing by a hair. They didn't really have any business winning that game last night. Some of their predicament was Bonner's fault, but there was plenty of reasons and blame to spread around.

There was a perfect storm of our bad play, injuries, and a ridiculous and timely shooting display from The Lakers that caused that loss.

It seems formulaic in our last few losses, that there's some coasting going on, and then during serious time, they just don't quite have enough to pull out the victory before time expires. It's frustrating to watch, but I have hope that this won't be a prevailing attitude or experience when everyone is healthy and we're playing playoff contenders.

^

The summary of the game is very good. I usually do not read stuff this extended. Nailed it.

Bonner. We all know him. No surprises.

littlecoyotecoin
12-13-2014, 09:26 AM
We had 19 turnovers last night. The big three combined for 11 of those. Scapegoat Mamba had zero. Just sayin'.

Henrik Sedin
12-13-2014, 09:37 AM

seriously?

tmtcsc
12-13-2014, 09:55 AM

:toast

SpursFan86
12-13-2014, 10:30 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B4uPOKgCAAAkRYz.png:large

That would've been a really tough pass, and even if he threw it at the perfect angle, Kobe and Hill both had a chance at breaking it up.

justinandimcool
12-13-2014, 10:39 AM
:cry why can't we have a coach like joerger

:cry rich people getting yelled at on tv

:cry no December championship

ceperez
12-13-2014, 10:40 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B4uPOKgCAAAkRYz.png:large

That would've been a really tough pass, and even if he threw it at the perfect angle, Kobe and Hill both had a chance at breaking it up.

Yes, definitely a tough pass to make, however considering that there was only 1.2 seconds to make, Boris shouldn't have been conservative. Of course Pop didn't have the angle to see that pass, but nevertheless, 1.2 seconds in not a lot of time and the game tied it was worth the risk.

FkLA
12-13-2014, 10:50 AM
He should've played in OT but Boris didn't seem to care about the yelling. I was cracking up at him practically taking Pops wrath with a smile. Reminded me of that story from Phoenix.

'Manu was open, Boris. God damn it!' -Pop

'Thats what you think.' - Diaw

vander
12-13-2014, 10:50 AM
How old is Pop now? Probably going to get crankier and crankier.

ChumpDumper
12-13-2014, 10:54 AM
:cry

DMX7
12-13-2014, 10:59 AM
He may be the best coach in the league but that doesn't mean he doesn't make any mistakes. I totally agree with the OP here. That was an extremely difficult pass, but maybe he's made it in practice or something and that's why POP was mad.

TheGreatYacht
12-13-2014, 11:06 AM
Is it that fucking hard to say "I fucked up playing Bonner and Beli over Diaw and Green"

But noooo, this guy's ego is too fucking huge. Just blame the players

Bambililos
12-13-2014, 11:26 AM
He should've played in OT but Boris didn't seem to care about the yelling. I was cracking up at him practically taking Pops wrath with a smile. Reminded me of that story from Phoenix.

'Manu was open, Boris. God damn it!' -Pop

'Thats what you think.' - Diaw

My thoughts exactly :)

Baam
12-13-2014, 11:30 AM
Boris is like a donkey who only moves when he sees carrots, yelling doesn't work on him tbh, Silas and many other tried...

Dex
12-13-2014, 11:43 AM

That's how Pop coaches, and that goes for guy 1 through guy 15.

What's he supposed to do, ask Bobo out for a Starbucks to discuss it?

Embedded
12-13-2014, 12:07 PM
If I remember correctly, the whole point of that play was the Spurs had nothing to lose, time was going to run out, so why not attempt the pass anyway? Manu was open, he either got a shot or got fouled.

Embedded
12-13-2014, 12:10 PM
And Kobe hadn't completely recovered from his stumble, look at the position of his legs, I think the pass would have been good, I think Boris Diam has the skill to make that pass. AND TIME WAS ONLY 1.2 SECONDS LEFT AND THE LAKERS HAD NO TIMEOUTS TO ADVANCE. Boris had nothing to lose by attempting that pass.

jag
12-13-2014, 12:19 PM
That was sad, tbh..

There's no way that pass makes it through without getting tipped. I'd trust Boris more than any other player on the team to make that call. And Pop obviously agrees, that's why he's got Boris inbounding the ball. He saw the back cut and thought better of trying to fit the ball in there.

jag
12-13-2014, 12:25 PM
If I remember correctly, the whole point of that play was the Spurs had nothing to lose, time was going to run out, so why not attempt the pass anyway? Manu was open, he either got a shot or got fouled.

Because that's not how it works on inbounds plays. You have a 1st, 2nd and 3rd option... He decided against making the pass and looked at his 2nd option, Duncan, and saw him open. If he throws that ball away while Duncan is standing there open, with his arms outstretched, what would Pop have said to him on the bench?

Dex
12-13-2014, 12:29 PM

Solid post tbh. :tu

Sean Cagney
12-13-2014, 02:50 PM

I agree on most of that but I am not a fan of Bonner at all, when he is on the bench infact I feel better. He is good in bits and pieces and plays a role, if used too much he is a detriment to the team IMO and it showed with Pop overplaying him for a few years on end in the playoffs.

Hoops Czar
12-13-2014, 02:59 PM
:lmao Since when does Pop give a shit about Nationally televised games? Pop doesn't pamper and he doesn't show favoritism. If you make mistakes, you're going to here about it.

Hoops Czar
12-13-2014, 03:00 PM
I agree on most of that but I am not a fan of Bonner at all, when he is on the bench infact I feel better. He is good in bits and pieces and plays a role, if used too much he is a detriment to the team IMO and it showed with Pop overplaying him for a few years on end in the playoffs.

Splitter needs to take back his role. As soon as that happens, Bonner will be relegated back to mop up duties.

DesignatedT
12-13-2014, 03:07 PM
Pop was upset at Diaw's play all game. He was lazy and showed no effort.

Also, I guarantee Bobo didn't feel "humiliated on national tv" :lmao. Only your pussy ass did.

testies
12-13-2014, 03:29 PM
Beard Pop is a cancer, this is 2008 all over again

Sean Cagney
12-13-2014, 03:47 PM
Splitter needs to take back his role. As soon as that happens, Bonner will be relegated back to mop up duties.

Yes sir, can't wait until that day either. Too much Bonner IS NEVER a good thing no matter how you look at it. He might have a series or a game where he is a matchup problem or helps spread the floor out but against certain teams or situations he is HORRIBLE.

Gagnrath
12-13-2014, 05:36 PM
Maybe I'm confused a bit but it seems like baynes had been playing well lately... he doesn't match up great on defense against the lakers but how does he only play 9 minutes to bonners 22?