PDA

View Full Version : Express-News: Van Exel out money but collects with Spurs

Kori Ellis
08-31-2005, 12:06 AM
Van Exel out money but collects with Spurs
Web Posted: 08/31/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Mike Finger
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA083105.1C.BKNspurs.vanexel.da895c7.html

If Nick Van Exel had only listened to his mother, he would be a wealthier man today. He likely would have avoided two miserable years in Golden State and Portland, as well as a summer of anxiety-filled job hunting.

But he also wouldn't have become a Spur.

So in retrospect, Van Exel said he's glad that three years ago he agreed to the deal in which he gave up $12.8 million but gained the freedom that ultimately led him to San Antonio.

"My mom's still calling me a fool for making that move," Van Exel said Tuesday after a workout at the Spurs' practice facility. "But I don't regret it at all."

Even if it turned out a bit differently than he first imagined.

After the 2001-02 season, Van Exel simply was trying to escape Denver and play for a winning team. But the only way he could facilitate a trade to Dallas was to turn the guaranteed final year of his contract into a team option. By doing so, he was able to lead the Mavericks to the 2003 Western Conference finals but also ended up being shipped to the Warriors, and then to the Trail Blazers.

When Portland declined to pick up the option earlier this summer, Van Exel, 33, became a free agent. And although he knew the Spurs couldn't offer him more than the one-year, $1.167 million contract he signed Monday, he immediately included them on his wish list.

"You know what you're going to get (with the Spurs)," Van Exel said. "They win, and they win a lot. That's the most important thing."

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, who had long been enamored with Van Exel's basketball skills, said he was especially impressed when Van Exel seemed so excited about playing for the Spurs. In fact, Popovich said signing the 6-foot-1Van Exel reminded him of another notable veteran Spurs pickup.

"It's bringing a smaller version of Robert Horry," Popovich said. "You get an experienced guy who really wants something and can contribute in a specific manner."

Like Horry, Van Exel is most valued by the Spurs for what he can give them in the postseason. With that in mind, the Spurs will monitor Van Exel's regular-season minutes much as they have done with Horry to keep him fresh.

"The most important thing is the playoffs," Van Exel said. "That's what (Popovich) told me I needed to get ready for."

Van Exel, who missed 72 games over the past two seasons, said his arthritic left knee feels as healthy as it has in "a year and a half." He said most of his injury problems in Golden State and Portland were the result of returning too quickly from his last knee surgery.

He received a clean bill of health from the Spurs' doctors Monday, and that was all Popovich and general manager R.C. Buford needed to hear before offering a contract to a player they think can be a postseason difference-maker.

"Nick relishes taking the big shot, the last shot," Popovich said. "And that's a rare quality in a lot of players."

Popovich wasn't the only Van Exel admirer in the Spurs' camp. He said when he mentioned the idea of signing Van Exel, players quickly endorsed it. Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili and Bruce Bowen all met with Van Exel in person Monday.

And as for Duncan's sales pitch?

"He said, 'We would love to have you,'" Van Exel said, 'but we don't need you.'"

Van Exel took the joke well. In fact, he even made a crack of his own about his image as a difficult teammate.

"Hey," he said to Popovich on Tuesday, "I'm coachable now."

baseline bum
08-31-2005, 12:32 AM
Could you imagine having Van Exel, Horry, Duncan, and Ginobili all on the floor for a last possession in a game? 4/5 of your lineup with experience in making some of the most legendary last possession plays in NBA history? :wow

Solid D
08-31-2005, 12:44 AM
Teams might just want to take their chances with playing Duncan straight-up. :)

milkyway21
08-31-2005, 12:48 AM
Popovich wasn't the only Van Exel admirer in the Spurs' camp. He said when he mentioned the idea of signing Van Exel, players quickly endorsed it. Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili and Bruce Bowen all met with Van Exel in person Monday.

And as for Duncan's sales pitch?

"He said, 'We would love to have you,'" Van Exel said, 'but we don't need you.'"

:tu for Timmy!

:lmao :lmao :lmao

Mark in Austin
08-31-2005, 12:59 AM
This has been bugging me for a while now. How was Van Exel and Denver able to switch a player option to a team option without violating the terms of the old CBA??? I would get it if Van Exel simply declined the final year of the contract. However, it has been reported everywhere that Portland DECIDED to not exercise their option on the contract.

Any theories as to how this contract alchemy was performed?

milkyway21
08-31-2005, 01:04 AM
Could you imagine having Van Exel, Horry, Duncan, and Ginobili all on the floor for a last possession in a game? 4/5 of your lineup with experience in making some of the most legendary last possession plays in NBA history? :wowi can already imagine Duncan having the best scoring yr of his career(well-rested, ankle injury free), while he's free in the middle & taking advantage in the low post while Manu, NVE, Horry, Barry, TP running around the perimeter :smokin

and what if Finley joins the Spurs?

I can see a repeat.

Mavs<Spurs
08-31-2005, 01:47 AM
:fro Good pickup. A solid acquisition. Clearly, Detroit's defense is extremely good. Therefore, a whole host of players do not look good playing against them other than Beno. In fact, perhaps in a majority of games, Tim Duncan did not look like himself. Tony obviously had some less than stellar games as well. Tony's regular season numbers increased this year. Beno had a solid first year. Nevertheless, the series against Detroit did highlight the need for a reliable back up point guard who you could count on if Tony is injured, has foul problems or is having a bad shooting game (hopefully, the shooting coach can improve his outside jump shot so that it is consistent). Nick certainly gives you all that and more. He is not quite as old as I thought that he was (although 33 going on 34 is not exactly a spring chicken).
Even if we don't pick up Finley, we should be in a good position to repeat. Hopefully, we will retain either Brown or Robinson or pick up Finley.
Since our Spurs are not playing in the Olympics, they should be fresher and healthier going into the regular season.
Opponents will face a very serious dilemma: defend Duncan one on one or leave Manu, Horry, Bowen or Van Exel (or Parker our normal starter open).
Bowen from the corner is deadly. Horry and Manu clearly can't be left open. If Parker is in the game, right now, the obvious play is to dare Tony to take the shot. If his shot is going (perhaps due to the shooting coach's help), you can't leave him alone. If he is missing his open jump shots, Nick should come in. Leaving NVE wide open is probably not a great option either for our opponents. Obviously, if Timmy is on his game, nobody can defend him one on one. Detroit clearly intended to guard him one on one, but we all saw that when it mattered in the middle of the third until the end of the game, Timmy forced them to double team him (talking about game seven) by his great scoring production. In addition, he got their big men in foul trouble. If Detroit can't cover Timmy one on one, nobody can.
I agree with those posters who saw that Brent Barry will have a much, much better year. We must remember that he shot much better in the playoffs from the three than during the regular season. Probably, he just had some adjustments to make with the Spurs.
I also think that Tony will make a big improvement (similar to, but a little less than Manu's improvement from the year before last to last year). Many great players struggled with their outside shot before becoming consistent with it. While Tony is no Majic, Dr. J. or Michael, those three certainly were less than consistent with their outside jumpshot during their early years in the league. However, they did develop consistency in their ability to make the open jumpshot later in their careers. With a great shooting coach, I certainly foresee Tony making a marked improvement in this area. If that does take place, Tony will be almost unguardable due to his speed.
Big Dog could be ready (or Devin) to really make a big impact in the league this year. Big Dog will have gotten rid of the rust and could return to the extremely productive player he has been in the past. Devin was averaging 15 points a game in the last seven games of the season prior to his injury. Hence, he could be ready to make his move. Tim could really help Nazr develop his low post game.
I would really like to acquire the rights to Finley because of the trouble that teams would have with Finley on the outside and Timmy on the inside. However, with that said, retaining Big Dog or Devin will still be acceptable substitutes if we can't.
I like our chances to repeat.
:fro

Kori Ellis
08-31-2005, 02:19 AM
This has been bugging me for a while now. How was Van Exel and Denver able to switch a player option to a team option without violating the terms of the old CBA??? I would get it if Van Exel simply declined the final year of the contract. However, it has been reported everywhere that Portland DECIDED to not exercise their option on the contract.

Any theories as to how this contract alchemy was performed?

Here's how I understand it: Van Exel had a "Early Termination Option" which last summer he decide not to exercise (he could have exercised it in an opted out of the last season of his contract). Since he did not use it, the final year turned into a team option.

Someone will speak up if I'm wrong, but that's how I understand it.

milkyway21
08-31-2005, 03:32 AM
hmmnn... 6-foot-1 guard has averaged 15.1 points, 3.0 rebounds and 6.9 assists in 815 regular-season games, shot 40.5 percent from the field and made nearly 36 percent of his 3-pointers, 1,473 3-pointers rank him behind Ray Allen (1,486) among active players....

not bad http://www.smileys.ws/sm/action/00000033.gif

JUUOT
08-31-2005, 08:59 AM
from lequipe.fr today

Parker on NVE coming
" we are not in direct competition. he can also play the 2 and we could play at the same time. Anyway, they could have bring anybody, it is not a problem, it is basketball, there is competition. NVE is a guy that putup big shot, it is good. he can pull a robert horry; rest during regular season and then come in and make important shoot in playoff"

«Nous ne sommes pas en concurrence directe. Il peut aussi occuper le poste d'arrière et on peut jouer en même temps. De toute façon, ils pouvaient amener n'importe qui, il n'y a pas de problème, c'est ça le basket, il y a de la concurrence. C'est un gars qui met les gros shoots, c'est bien, a encore commenté Parker. Il peut faire une Robert Horry (autre joueur des Spurs) : il se repose pendant l'année et après, il vient et met ses shoots importants en play-offs.»

spurster
08-31-2005, 11:34 AM
"[TD] said, 'We would love to have you,'" Van Exel said, 'but we don't need you.'"
That explains why Malone didn't sign with the Spurs. It was TD's sales pitch.

Solid D
08-31-2005, 11:36 AM
Nellie used Nash and Van Exel in the backcourt together all the time. Nick is used to being a combo guard.

DesiSpur_21
08-31-2005, 12:02 PM
Here's how I understand it: Van Exel had a "Early Termination Option" which last summer he decide not to exercise (he could have exercised it in an opted out of the last season of his contract). Since he did not use it, the final year turned into a team option.

Someone will speak up if I'm wrong, but that's how I understand it.

So this early termination option was either way? I mean NVE and the team could have excersied at any time of the last two years of his contract? Sounds crazy but it might have been linked to Juwan Howard's contract too ( not just NVE opting for a last year team option just to get the hell out of Denver).

sanman53
08-31-2005, 01:31 PM
Van Exel out money but collects with Spurs
Web Posted: 08/31/2005 12:00 AM CDT

"Hey," he said to Popovich on Tuesday, "I'm coachable now."

Thats all I wanted to hear. As long as he don't whine about getting benched or not playing superstar minutes, and he IS NOT a ballhog. 2005-2006 is ours! How can anyone stop a fresh Tim Duncan, Manu, TP? They couldnt do it last year. Now, our bench is looking more and more solid. Wow, let's get it started!

Slomo
08-31-2005, 01:54 PM
That explains why Malone didn't sign with the Spurs. It was TD's sales pitch.
:lol

One more reason for me to like TD! :tu