PDA

View Full Version : Manu's late game Basketball IQ ...

bobcatfan4life
12-17-2014, 11:21 PM
What happened to it?

midnightpulp
12-17-2014, 11:22 PM
It's always been terrible. Along with Kirby, he's one of the most overrated clutch players of all-time.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
12-17-2014, 11:24 PM
Manu with the amazing save

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
12-17-2014, 11:24 PM
It's always been terrible. Along with Kirby, he's one of the most overrated clutch players of all-time.
:lmao

hater
12-17-2014, 11:25 PM
he was great in prime Manu imo.

but last few years he's been borderline dangerous and we are lucky tonight Green is not in a wheelchair

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
12-17-2014, 11:26 PM
Lol Belinelli

12-17-2014, 11:43 PM
Manu with the Kobe style brick

hater
12-17-2014, 11:44 PM
what a prick

Diego20
12-17-2014, 11:46 PM

Never go full retard..

bobcatfan4life
12-17-2014, 11:51 PM
Manu never learns

TheGreatYacht
12-17-2014, 11:52 PM

Venti Quattro
12-17-2014, 11:53 PM
Never go full retard..

Because Kobe is better than Turnobili obviously.

ElNono
12-17-2014, 11:53 PM
He's fine... no Tony, that's the guy you gotta go to... I though he was gassed at the end... he played over 40mins, his usual is around 25...

Wish Cojo or Beli would be more competent running the point, but it is what it is...

TheGreatYacht
12-17-2014, 11:59 PM
Because Kobe is better than Turnobili obviously.
:lmao

midnightpulp
12-18-2014, 12:03 AM
He's fine... no Tony, that's the guy you gotta go to... I though he was gassed at the end... he played over 40mins, his usual is around 25...

Wish Cojo or Beli would be more competent running the point, but it is what it is...

How about just dribble the basketball like a normal player and make a simple pass in crunch time? Play-by-play says he threw it away with 21 seconds left in the game/18 left on the clock. I didn't see the play, but it sounds like Manu did another one of his classic blundering passes that this time hurt Green.

spurtech09
12-18-2014, 12:10 AM
What happened to it?you can add diaw to the list

Arcadian
12-18-2014, 12:27 AM

Agree, he's actually one of the dumbest players in history based on his late-game decision making. People confound his competitive spirit with "clutch play."

One does not imply the other! I would rather have a guy with ice-cold demeanor who is actually clutch. Someone like, uh, Timothy Duncan.

ElNono
12-18-2014, 12:30 AM
How about just dribble the basketball like a normal player and make a simple pass in crunch time? Play-by-play says he threw it away with 21 seconds left in the game/18 left on the clock. I didn't see the play, but it sounds like Manu did another one of his classic blundering passes that this time hurt Green.

He screwed up in that play, no doubt about it. Bobo did the exact same screwup in the previous OT... I think the team was gassed as fuck at that point. Not an excuse to fuck up, but it happens.

it's good it's happening now and not during the playoffs...

Malik Hairston
12-18-2014, 12:30 AM
:lol how is this anything different than prime Manu?..

Manu played a great game for most of tonight, he was the only player creating for the Spurs for the majority of regulation..this is what Manu does, he gives you the good and the bad to the extreme on both sides of the spectrum, he has always done this..

Live and die by Manu has always been the case, even when he was in his prime..if he didn't play with that same style of play, he wouldn't be the same player..

ElNono
12-18-2014, 12:32 AM
:pop:

"He has the same love of winning and maniacal approach to competitiveness," Popovich said. "It's the same as Michael and Kobe have."

"He doesn't have the same athletic ability. But he has the same spirit and competitiveness that they do. He has a high basketball IQ like they do in the sense that it could be an offensive board, a 3-point shot, a drive, a steal, an assist to win a basketball game."

Cloud786
12-18-2014, 12:32 AM
He has the IQ of javale mcgee in crunch time tbh

DarrinS
12-18-2014, 12:33 AM
:lol how is this anything different than prime Manu?..

Manu played a great game for most of tonight, he was the only player creating for the Spurs for the majority of regulation..this is what Manu does, he gives you the good and the bad to the extreme on both sides of the spectrum, he has always done this..

Live and die by Manu has always been the case, even when he was in his prime..if he didn't play with that same style of play, he wouldn't be the same player..

Well put

midnightpulp
12-18-2014, 12:40 AM
He screwed up in that play, no doubt about it. Bobo did the exact same screwup in the previous OT... I think the team was gassed as fuck at that point. Not an excuse to fuck up, but it happens.

it's good it's happening now and not during the playoffs...

It's all good, though.

This loss tonight is own my Client: THE TOSB

I'm just tired of seeing in the game feed (which is like every close game this year):

0:23 Manu Ginobili bad pass

ElNono
12-18-2014, 12:46 AM
It's all good, though.

This loss tonight is own my Client: THE TOSB

I'm just tired of seeing in the game feed (which is like every close game this year):

0:23 Manu Ginobili bad pass

It's a make or miss league, tbh... he hit the dagger 3 against Denver to put the last game away...

If he hits that 3 at the end of the game today, we're talking about clutch Gino...

I've said it in the game thread before: if you don't want Gino shooting retarded game winning/losing shots, then play hard from the start. We didn't do that tonight.

midnightpulp
12-18-2014, 12:49 AM
It's a make or miss league, tbh... he hit the dagger 3 against Denver to put the last game away...

If he hits that 3 at the end of the game today, we're talking about clutch Gino...

I've said it in the game thread before: if you don't want Gino shooting retarded game winning/losing shots, then play hard from the start. We didn't do that tonight.

I can tolerate missed shots. What makes many of us pull our hair out is the late-late turnovers with <30 seconds to go.

Mugen
12-18-2014, 12:52 AM
Is this the first time any of you have watched Manu play? Nigga's been doing shit like this for 11 years tbh.

ElNono
12-18-2014, 12:57 AM
I can tolerate missed shots. What makes many of us pull our hair out is the late-late turnovers with <30 seconds to go.

He's 37 years old and he'll have a brain fart here or there. The reality is he was making plays all game... it's easy to nit pick on the 2 or 3 bad possessions, but we shouldn't be relying on a guy who normally only plays 25 mins to run the entire offense because there's nobody else to do it. But injuries are injuries, and overall, I though he did a great job, basically because there was nobody else to do it.

mkurts
12-18-2014, 12:58 AM
Ran out of gas, nil strength yet forced the miss anyway.

Typical Manu, feast or famine

Arcadian
12-18-2014, 01:00 AM
He's 37 years old and he'll have a brain fart here or there. The reality is he was making plays all game... it's easy to nit pick on the 2 or 3 bad possessions, but we shouldn't be relying on a guy who normally only plays 25 mins to run the entire offense because there's nobody else to do it. But injuries are injuries, and overall, I though he did a great job, basically because there was nobody else to do it.

Yeah but that last play had to be one of two things: 1) drive and kick to Green, or 2) drive and flop, hoping for a foul call. Manu is an expert at the latter.

ElNono
12-18-2014, 01:04 AM
Yeah but that last play had to be one of two things: 1) drive and kick to Green, or 2) drive and flop, hoping for a foul call. Manu is an expert at the latter.

It could've been a turnover too... or a foul and missed the freebies... you can't focus on one play, IMO. We lost that game when we dug a huge hole and on top of that missed all sorts of FTs.

We mailed in the 1st half, you can't do that.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
12-18-2014, 01:08 AM
I feel bad for Manu... he's the only guy we had out there who could create and pop was asking him to do way too much... should of ran cojo out there some more

Arcadian
12-18-2014, 01:09 AM
It could've been a turnover too... or a foul and missed the freebies... you can't focus on one play, IMO. We lost that game when we dug a huge hole and on top of that missed all sorts of FTs.

We mailed in the 1st half, you can't do that.

Sure, but you also can't run away from the fact that he fucked up that play badly. Obviously people are going to remember the last play of the game, it's called recency bias.

ElNono
12-18-2014, 01:19 AM
Sure, but you also can't run away from the fact that he fucked up that play badly. Obviously people are going to remember the last play of the game, it's called recency bias.

tbh, I thought he was tired as fuck and went for it. You can call it a fuckup.

Completely agree about people focusing on the last few plays, especially fans. But Pop, Tim are not that kind of people, and they know why they lost that game.

Holden_Caulfield
12-18-2014, 02:06 AM
why doesnt manu drive during last second shots anymore? he used to be money, now he just settles for jumpshots especially hail mary 3s :cry

Floyd Pacquiao
12-18-2014, 02:12 AM
why doesnt manu drive during last second shots anymore? he used to be money, now he just settles for jumpshots especially hail mary 3s :cry
Scared to get fouled cause he knows he won't make his free throws tbh

apalisoc_9
12-18-2014, 02:24 AM
Scared to get fouled cause he knows he won't make his free throws tbh

:lol

We Need Kawhi ASAP..

Tony can rest..

Floyd Pacquiao
12-18-2014, 02:30 AM

We Need Kawhi ASAP..

Tony can rest..
Once we get kawhi and mvpatty back NBA=fcked

hommeaetage
12-18-2014, 02:44 AM
Manu said he had no legs to drive to the basket, but acknowledged that it was a moronic shot nonetheless.

spursparker9
12-18-2014, 06:11 AM

just watched the highlight on nba.com

lol at the end of 4Q, the last two 3-pointers made by Memphis are both guarded by Manu.

Plus that 3 from Nick Young and that 3 from Vince Carter in last year playoff buzzer beater.

Safe to say that whoever was guarded by Manu will hit that clutch shot.

spurs1990
12-18-2014, 08:09 AM
Let's see.

Brick a game winner at Brooklyn. Check.
Brick a game winner vs Lakers. Check.
Brick two game winners vs Memphis. Double check.

Over/under on how many more hero balls he throws up: 10

Seriously how stupid was that last shot.

Not only does he take a 3 while only down 1, he takes it with 5 seconds on the clock.

Indefensible.

MultiTroll
12-18-2014, 01:28 PM
tbh, I thought he was tired as fuck and went for it.
If he is tired as fuck why is the ball being put in his hands with the game on the line? :pop:
A tired, 30% GNob or another player or hey I know! A different play. Team game.
It's become a lesser version of KoBrick for final play game on line status.
Surely a HOF coach can come up with a better play. :rolleyes

dabom
12-18-2014, 01:41 PM
Manu has been shit lately. When manu misses a game winner or makes a stupid move I don't even wince anymore.
I'm somehow used to it now. That's not a good thing. It's getting harder and harder to defend manu.

DAF86
12-18-2014, 01:52 PM

You always throw these stupid statements that are easily proven wrong with facts when your pussy gets hurt. You're one of the biggest cliff jumpers on ST: "Manu isn't clutch :cry", "Manu isn't a good playoffs performer :cry", "Tony Parker is a pussy :cry"

ElNono
12-18-2014, 02:05 PM
If he is tired as fuck why is the ball being put in his hands with the game on the line? :pop:
A tired, 30% GNob or another player or hey I know! A different play. Team game.
It's become a lesser version of KoBrick for final play game on line status.
Surely a HOF coach can come up with a better play. :rolleyes

I dunno, but Pop what pretty straightforward when asked about it after the game: "Everybody is trying to win, it just didn't go in for him".

He also said he's concerned about the amount of minutes played looking at the upcoming schedule, which I personally think is why he didn't call a timeout on that last play (dunno if we had one)

BillMc
12-18-2014, 02:07 PM
The last shot I can live with. It was the pass to Green that makes me wince. Of course Boris had one just as bad. And Timmy missed all those free throws. Lots of blame to go around.

taps
12-18-2014, 02:11 PM
play hard from the start.

It's a 10-2 run for the opposition every 12 points scored that Matt's on the floor. Grizz # of possessions increases like twofold w/ Bonner. There are like 3 ZBo OREB and freebie layups on Bonner for every shot Manu takes.
Not Matt's fault he sux though. He started 3rd quarter too.

ceperez
12-18-2014, 03:16 PM
The first quarters were a blow out.

Spurs had to rally despite missing a ton of free throws.

I'm even surprised we had 3 OT despite the fact that Ginobili was the only player who could create.

midnightpulp
12-18-2014, 03:34 PM
You always throw these stupid statements that are easily proven wrong with facts when your pussy gets hurt. You're one of the biggest cliff jumpers on ST: "Manu isn't clutch :cry", "Manu isn't a good playoffs performer :cry", "Tony Parker is a pussy :cry"

Manu isn't clutch

He's had "clutch moments," but overall, he's not a particularly good clutch performer. I'd say he's average.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/plus/shot_finder.cgi?request=1&player_id=ginobma01&match=single&year_id=&is_playoffs=Y&team_id=&opp_id=&game_num_min=0&game_num_max=99&game_month=&game_location=&game_result=&shot_pts=&is_make=&shot_type=&shot_distance_min=&shot_distance_max=&q4=Y&q5=Y&time_remain_minutes=5&time_remain_seconds=0&time_remain_comp=le&margin_min=-5&margin_max=5&c1stat=&c1comp=ge&c1val=&c2stat=&c2comp=ge&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=ge&c3val=&order_by=fg

^ His clutch playoff stats (I think shooting over 40% in crunch time is good). After his breakout '05 performance, he's been pretty mediocre in clutch time (aside from 2012). Also, the list doesn't show his TOs.

Manu isn't a good playoffs performer

I don't think I've ever said that. I've said he's an inconsistent playoff performer. Game-to-game, you're never know what you're gonna get. Overall, I'd say he's a good playoffs performer, and he did a damn fine job last year of redeeming himself.

Tony Parker is a pussy

At times. And I call him out when he's playing/acting like one.

8FOR!3
12-18-2014, 03:41 PM
I think at the end of the game unless you're running a play, the best player at creating their own shot has to have the ball and that was Ginobili.

One play in either double OT or the 3rd OT that really bothered me was an end of the shot clock play where Belinelli had the ball at the corner and Duncan was wide open at the elbow ready for a pass and of course Belinelli passed it to Cory Joseph at the top of the key who had to force an unmakeable shot.

Cloud786
12-18-2014, 04:06 PM
Let's see.

Not only does he take a 3 while only down 1, he takes it with 5 seconds on the clock.

Indefensible.

You forgot bricking a game tying 3 at Sacramento. 4 out of our 9 losses have come on Manu bricks.

EVAY
12-18-2014, 04:11 PM
I dunno, but Pop what pretty straightforward when asked about it after the game: "Everybody is trying to win, it just didn't go in for him".

He also said he's concerned about the amount of minutes played looking at the upcoming schedule, which I personally think is why he didn't call a timeout on that last play (dunno if we had one)

I don't think we had one.

It was a really tough fight down the stretches. It didn't go our way, but everybody out there played to their best ability, imo, and they are all a lot more disappointed than we are.

The only thing sad to me is watching this fan forum attack virtually any and all on the way to an inane "this is why we lost and it is so-and-so's fault".

ElNono
12-18-2014, 04:19 PM
Let's see.

Indefensible.

Defensible, IMO.

Make the clutch 3 to put Denver away on the road. Check.
Scores the last 3 points to beat Cleveland by 2 on the road. Check.
Make the clutch freebies to beat Atlanta at home. Check.

Win some, lose some... the reality is that we wouldn't need to be praying for a shot to go in if we play for 48 mins...

MultiTroll
12-18-2014, 04:48 PM
The hell is straightforward about that?

ElNono
12-18-2014, 04:51 PM
The hell is straightforward about that?

That nobody is trying to lose games on purpose?

Duncan2177
12-18-2014, 04:52 PM

just watched the highlight on nba.com

lol at the end of 4Q, the last two 3-pointers made by Memphis are both guarded by Manu.

Plus that 3 from Nick Young and that 3 from Vince Carter in last year playoff buzzer beater.

Safe to say that whoever was guarded by Manu will hit that clutch shot.

And Fishface Fisher

http://youtu.be/Dqd1Rx82bno

MultiTroll
12-18-2014, 05:03 PM
That nobody is trying to lose games on purpose?
Zen Philly gibberish?

Besides, many would say starting BonBon both for the beggining of the game then again at the start of the 3rd is. (0 - 10 run after we had cut it to 7) :lol

ElNono
12-18-2014, 05:30 PM
Zen Philly gibberish?

Besides, many would say starting BonBon both for the beggining of the game then again at the start of the 3rd is. (0 - 10 run after we had cut it to 7) :lol

Bonner is the great unknown, tbh

MultiTroll
12-18-2014, 05:42 PM
Bonner is the great unknown, tbh
What did the media spot ask CIA Popped anyways, to get the response of "Everybody is trying to win, it just didn't go in for him"?
i assume no followup question of course.

And we know no San Antonio pussy media is going to ask him about Bonners minutes. Gag.

TMTTRIO
12-18-2014, 05:47 PM
I'm so glad he's retiring next year

12-18-2014, 05:50 PM
He's always went for risky plays but his body just can't keep up anymore. Hell, even in his prime his recklessness didn't always pay off.

ElNono
12-18-2014, 05:57 PM
What did the media spot ask CIA Popped anyways, to get the response of "Everybody is trying to win, it just didn't go in for him"?
i assume no followup question of course.

And we know no San Antonio pussy media is going to ask him about Bonners minutes. Gag.

spurs.com

the video is in there...

MultiTroll
12-18-2014, 06:03 PM
spurs.com

the video is in there...
who ever sets up the audio.....
Can't even hear the questions.

TMTTRIO
12-19-2014, 12:16 AM
I don't know why Pop continues to play a 37 year old Manu that many minutes. I know we're missing a few players but that shouldn't be a reason to play him for 41 minutes. At this point he shouldn't get more than 20 minutes a game even if that means the other guys need to step up. We're relying too much on him.

Ice009
12-19-2014, 01:33 AM

Manu said he didn't have the legs to get to the rim. He said it was a bad shot.

I guess I have cooled off a bit last night after watching Manu's interview. I thought that he lost his head and was going for a hero shot. I thought he should have drove it in or tried to look for someone else in transition, but if he didn't have the legs to do it, not sure what else to say.

look_at_g_shred
12-19-2014, 11:16 AM
Whenever Manu's 3 ball is falling, the dude falls in love with it too damn much. Almost always to a fault.

mkurts
12-19-2014, 06:54 PM
Let's see.

Indefensible.

Yep he misses gamewinners way more than makes by far

Diego20
12-19-2014, 07:28 PM
edit, wrong thread..

kaji157
12-19-2014, 07:28 PM
He might miss game winners and miss a late game decision right now but he was flawless when it counted during last year playoffs.
And e is having a very heavy burden with the actual starting lineup usually getting into huge holes, in all the games listed here as "bad manu games" in all of them he had a positive impact, played more minutes than he should and still got the team in a position to win after entering the court usually down by ten at least.
So i can live if he is missing a few game winners or late game decisions are not the best right now, because when our team is full, that Manu that ties the game for us will be the one putting us up ten, and that game winner he misses will be the ball that will either put us up 10 or 12. so i donīt care.