PDA

View Full Version : Danny Green will walk.

look_at_g_shred
12-18-2014, 12:05 AM
Consistently not going to him for game winning shots, after proving he can do it time and time again. This guy is a hell of a player, and it showed tonight. The guy does it all and is under appreciated. I can't blame him if he gets tired of it and takes an offer somewhere else. I hope I'm wrong though. Definitely my favorite player behind Timmy. #greenmachine

TheGreatYacht
12-18-2014, 12:06 AM
Can't forget about constantly being Pop's scapegoat

Malik Hairston
12-18-2014, 12:06 AM
I'm one of Green's biggest fans here, but "going to him" is not always the right move..

Even when Danny isn't shooting, the other team always has a defender shadowing him, which opens things up for Manu/Duncan and anybody else driving the lane..the diversion is just as good as the shot, sometimes..

100%duncan
12-18-2014, 12:07 AM
meh

RD2191
I was thinking about this a lot the other day. The dude has been arguably just as valuable than Kawhi or maybe even a bit better.

Richie
No he wont

spurraider21
Damn, before he walks and we lose him for nothing, we should probably package him with Diaw for Shumpert

spurraider21
12-18-2014, 12:08 AM
I was thinking about this a lot the other day. The dude has been arguably just as valuable than Kawhi or maybe even a bit better.
you better hope apalisoc didn't just see that. dude will be at ur house tonight

look_at_g_shred
I'm one of Green's biggest fans here, but "going to him" is not always the right move..

Even when Danny isn't shooting, the other team always has a defender shadowing him, which opens things up for Manu/Duncan and anybody else driving the lane..the diversion is just as good as the shot, sometimes..
Malik. I'd rather see a danny green miss than a manu highly contested-fadeaway 3. Haven't we seen this show before?

DesignatedT
Lol stupid.

RD2191
12-18-2014, 12:09 AM
:lmao

look_at_g_shred
12-18-2014, 12:09 AM
How's the blood pressure bruh?

look_at_g_shred
12-18-2014, 12:10 AM
#iheartgreen

RD2191
12-18-2014, 12:11 AM
How's the blood pressure bruh?
Pretty damn high after tonights game. Lol. Naw I'm good. Doc gave me some meds to help me relax a bit so they're working well. Thanks for asking man.

100%duncan
12-18-2014, 12:14 AM

:lol

look_at_g_shred
12-18-2014, 12:14 AM
Pretty damn high after tonights game. Lol. Naw I'm good. Doc gave me some meds to help me relax a bit so they're working well. Thanks for asking man.
No prob man. On to tha next.

Ice009
12-18-2014, 12:18 AM
I don't agree with the reason the OP stated, but if you're Kawhi and Danny, I'm not sure I'd want to come back if Tim isn't here.

Budkin
12-18-2014, 12:25 AM
Bullshit. He's won a title here.

look_at_g_shred
12-18-2014, 12:25 AM
#stayinsa

Chinook
12-18-2014, 12:26 AM
Honestly wouldn't be surprised. He really does get crapped on too much. He may not come back if the Spurs don't project to be contenders.

Ice009
12-18-2014, 12:27 AM
Honestly wouldn't be surprised. He really does get crapped on too much. He may not come back if the Spurs don't project to be contenders.

Exactly. If I was Green and Kawhi, I don't think I'd be interested in coming back if the Spurs don't get players that can keep them a contending.

Legacy
12-18-2014, 12:28 AM
No he wont

Arcadian
12-18-2014, 12:30 AM
Who the fuck does this Manu guy think he is? That's our backup shooting guard taking away shots from our starting shooting guard. Dude needs to learn his fucking place.

Chinook
12-18-2014, 12:31 AM
Exactly. If I was Green and Kawhi, I don't think I'd be interested in coming back if the Spurs don't get players that can keep them a contending.

Kawhi's coming back. Green should, but there are probably places he'd rather suck at if he projects to suck in SA. The Knicks and Hornets may well offer Danny large contracts.

apalisoc_9
12-18-2014, 12:31 AM

Kawhi will stay because he will be the Man...( he already is the man)

But it must be really frustating for Green to get an earful from POP everyday and see Bellineli make numerous mistakes on both ends and still earn minutes over him..:lol

KL2
12-18-2014, 12:32 AM
I'll be heavily disappointed if he does, but I think he likes being in SA, too many memories. Green and Leonard are the future of the Spurs' defense, along with Splitter, really easy to build around those guys, that sort of defensive combo doesn't come along too often in the league.

BatManu20
12-18-2014, 12:37 AM
Damn, before he walks and we lose him for nothing, we should probably package him with Diaw for Shumpert

BatManu20
12-18-2014, 12:38 AM
Who the fuck does this Manu guy think he is? That's our backup shooting guard taking away shots from our starting shooting guard. Dude needs to learn his fucking place.

A future Hall of Famer, tbh.

scanry
12-18-2014, 12:38 AM
Green can be easily shut down. Cover the space and he's not of much use on offense.

BatManu20
12-18-2014, 12:41 AM
No, he won't.

milkyway21
12-18-2014, 12:42 AM
Hope he'll remain a Spur & retire a Spur like TD.

Mugen
12-18-2014, 12:43 AM
I love Danny but he ain't getting those open 3s on the f'n Knicks tbh :lol

Chinook
12-18-2014, 12:43 AM
Green can be easily shut down. Cover the space and he's not of much use on offense.

:rolleyes for many reasons.

look_at_g_shred
12-18-2014, 12:45 AM
your right. Green has never scored in an NBA game my fault. I forget how easy it is to shut green down by covering space.

wildchild
12-18-2014, 12:48 AM
It's just about money.

It's his last chance to sign a big contract and I can't see him taking a pay cut to help and rebuild a contender team, he shouldn't do it...

He deserves sign the best financial deal.

Robz4000
12-18-2014, 02:44 AM

Can we get Rondo too? Apparently the system loves him...

spursparker9
12-18-2014, 03:22 AM

Someone please post that gif of Parker staring down Danny. During the last possession of a game that pissed off Pop to tell Danny to shut the fuck up

Sean Cagney
12-18-2014, 03:30 AM
I don't agree with the reason the OP stated, but if you're Kawhi and Danny, I'm not sure I'd want to come back if Tim isn't here.

^^^^^^ This. I think they both re-sign though and get a good contract even if Tim retires.

BTW I doubt he is as effective in another system that does not utilize his skills TBH, remember he was cut by a certain team before. He is right for this system, outside of it he will probably turn into Stephenson who thought he was good and went out and got a contract and is now in trade discussions. Some players are right in a system, Danny is one of them.

timtonymanu
12-18-2014, 03:32 AM
I'm confident he'll be back. He can't be in a better situation and the Spurs can offer him the best contract out of the other potential teams that could use him.

cd021
12-18-2014, 04:22 AM
One could argue that Green icy hot shooting is the biggest factor in him being shut down and not how teams defend him. He is really good at getting open. He hit 7 3's against Memphis who is a top defensive team.

If teams absolutely intend to shut him down, it opens up the driving lanes or the post for Diaw and Duncan. They won't be able to help off Green they have to stay within arms length.

Fireball
12-18-2014, 04:25 AM
Problem is you cannot just give him the ball. He needs to be open which is not that easy to accomplish. E.g. Wes Matthews really shut him down when we played Portland.

cd021
12-18-2014, 04:27 AM
They could offer him a 5 year deal, if I'm not mistaken. A 5 year, $45-50 million dollar deal could be hard to pass up.

100%duncan
12-18-2014, 05:53 AM
Of course Danny can be easily shut down when the defender stays close to him everytime, every shooter will be shut down with that. :lol That's the thing Green's mere presence in the offense making space is good enough when everyone is healthy. He's primarily there for the defense not for shooting.

Raven
12-18-2014, 08:25 AM
you guys were shitting on me when i said he'd get signed for around 14M :lmao

Chinook
12-18-2014, 09:11 AM
Of course Danny can be easily shut down when the defender stays close to him everytime, every shooter will be shut down with that. :lol That's the thing Green's mere presence in the offense making space is good enough when everyone is healthy. He's primarily there for the defense not for shooting.

Seriously. He's a floor-spacer like Bonner, except he can go supernova in a way Matt can't. However, I don't see why he couldn't get some of the same looks Korver does. Atlanta knows how to get him open despite defenses. Pop needs to stop trying to control Green's ego and use these months to shift the offense toward Green and Leonard (for the RS).

100%duncan
12-18-2014, 09:17 AM
Seriously. He's a floor-spacer like Bonner, except he can go supernova in a way Matt can't. However, I don't see why he couldn't get some of the same looks Korver does. Atlanta knows how to get him open despite defenses. Pop needs to stop trying to control Green's ego and use these months to shift the offense toward Green and Leonard (for the RS).

Yes he should and not only for record purposes sake or what-not but because they complement each other so well together that you can rely on them when it actually matters in the playoffs. I don't know why Pop keeps on shitting on Danny tbh, he's right there with Kawhi in the defensive end and is the best 3 point shooter in finals history. It's absurd that Beli gets minutes over him in some games. Don't even get me started on Pop's media shitting on Danny, it's like he's an adopted kid or something :lol

100%duncan
12-18-2014, 09:18 AM
you guys were shitting on me when i said he'd get signed for around 14M :lmao

14 million a year? Of course they would shit on you.

Raven
12-18-2014, 09:24 AM
14 million a year? Of course they would shit on you.

12-14 i think i said.. tbh i think teams will offer something like that just because teams are tired of seeing the spurs always getting good value for their players..

100%duncan
12-18-2014, 09:26 AM
12-14 i think i said.. tbh i think teams will offer something like that just because teams are tired of seeing the spurs always getting good value for their players..

His value is arguably 14m esp with the new tv deal happening but they will underrate him and DG will probably miss out 3-5 million off his value.

Raven
12-18-2014, 09:28 AM
His value is arguably 14m esp with the new tv deal happening but they will underrate him and DG will probably miss out 3-5 million off his value.

see that's just it, i doubt teams will allow themselves that, the thought of having to face the green-leonard combo for at least four more years has to be scaring teams to death.

Chinook
12-18-2014, 09:44 AM
Also, people don't want to admit it, but Green's getting to a level where non-contenders are going to be interested in him. He's just a good player. So this idea that he'll only get MLE offers is silly to me. It's not a foregone conclusion that SA will have the best offer at all, especially if it's a low-ball offer.

look_at_g_shred
12-19-2014, 12:38 AM
This thread was to indicate that green will leave not because of a lowball offer from the Spurs, I'm simply saying eventually he wil get tired of being the whipping boy and not being used at the end of games when he shows that he is on target instead of going to someone who just wants to do it themselves. Keep in mind that I really hope I'm wrong and that danny knows better. He's humble and probably has the utmost respect for the big 3 and pop. I just hope he doesn't think he's under valued here.

ChumpDumper
12-19-2014, 12:48 AM
Relax. You're probably wrong.

FireMicoHalili
12-19-2014, 01:08 AM
one of those predictions where person predicting wins either way...useless thread after speculating on just one game

cjw
12-19-2014, 01:15 AM
Money is the biggest factor, and Spurs can offer him more than almost any other contender (who will top out at midlevel). He knows in the wrong system he may not see the same success = another lucrative FA contract near age 30. And neither hometown NY team has cash.

But who knows, he could bolt to a crappy team and grab the dough. Wouldn't be crazy to see someone throwing 3/$27 at him.

Baam
12-19-2014, 01:25 AM
Ariza who was the best 3 & D player of last season got 8M, Korver got 6M the year prior, those are very recent contracts, 14M still seems incredibly high...

Raven
12-19-2014, 03:57 AM
This thread was to indicate that green will leave not because of a lowball offer from the Spurs, I'm simply saying eventually he wil get tired of being the whipping boy and not being used at the end of games when he shows that he is on target instead of going to someone who just wants to do it themselves. Keep in mind that I really hope I'm wrong and that danny knows better. He's humble and probably has the utmost respect for the big 3 and pop. I just hope he doesn't think he's under valued here.

yeah i think there is a reason why people ignored your premise tbh :lol

exstatic
12-19-2014, 07:28 AM
Ariza who was the best 3 & D player of last season got 8M, Korver got 6M the year prior, those are very recent contracts, 14M still seems incredibly high...

This. I also think the only teams that can "pay" him are shitty. Good teams won't have money because they are already paying their own good players.

dabom
12-19-2014, 08:39 AM
Danny gets a 8 mil a year deal.

still.focused
12-19-2014, 08:46 AM
I think theres a possibility of him leaving which would definitely hurt SA but it wouldnt be helpful to Green except financially
Theres not much room in this league for starting SGs that cant create their own shot
Goin to Green off the pass is great down the stretch when he can finish with the long ball anything else would be disasterous
But if we were to put the ball in his hands wit the game on the line we would lose EVERY single one of em
Wed get a ton of "AYE!"s as he falls helplessly to the ground
SA is a specific situation where a underwhelmingly* creative SG can breathe easily bcuz of the style of play, and sharing starting time w/ TD, Enrique and Kawhi
On most if not all other teams Green would be a shell of his Spurs incarnation
ESPECIALLY if the reduced production got into his head.
He strikes me as the type that would take sumn like that very hard

look_at_g_shred
12-19-2014, 10:34 AM
12m a year for 4 years is not out of the realm of possibility. Think of what Leonard might get. Somewhere between 80-90 mill. Right? So danny getting 5 yrs 60 mill is feasible.

EVAY
12-19-2014, 10:43 AM
Danny had five blocks the other night and it didn't get nearly the press that Kawhi got when he had six.

Danny used to be a total liability when not standing at the three point line shooting. I would cringe whenever he OR Kawhi would start up the floor on a fast break.

Both of them have improved their dribbling and passing, and both are good defenders. Kawhi is maybe the best wing defender in the league, but Danny is pretty good at blocking shots and staying with a guy.

Tony used to get screamed at and humiliated by Pop in virtually every game for about three years. He took it and improved.

Danny's game has improved in San Antonio and he knows it.

He might leave, but not because Pop yells at him. Pop gave him another chance when nobody else in the league would have him and he was on his way back overseas to play if he couldn't convince the Spurs to give him another chance.

Danny is mouthy and Pop doesn't like that AT ALL.

look_at_g_shred
12-19-2014, 10:46 AM
Danny had five blocks the other night and it didn't get nearly the press that Kawhi got when he had six.

Danny used to be a total liability when not standing at the three point line shooting. I would cringe whenever he OR Kawhi would start up the floor on a fast break.

Both of them have improved their dribbling and passing, and both are good defenders. Kawhi is maybe the best wing defender in the league, but Danny is pretty good at blocking shots and staying with a guy.

Tony used to get screamed at and humiliated by Pop in virtually every game for about three years. He took it and improved.

Danny's game has improved in San Antonio and he knows it.

He might leave, but not because Pop yells at him. Pop gave him another chance when nobody else in the league would have him and he was on his way back overseas to play if he couldn't convince the Spurs to give him another chance.

Danny is mouthy and Pop doesn't like that AT ALL.

Huh? How?

EVAY
12-19-2014, 10:55 AM
Huh? How?

Danny argues back to Pop, he is always talking on the sidelines about right or wrong calls...and he is thrilled to talk to the media at length about any topic at any time. That is all I meant. Chill, son.

look_at_g_shred
12-19-2014, 11:01 AM
Danny argues back to Pop, he is always talking on the sidelines about right or wrong calls...and he is thrilled to talk to the media at length about any topic at any time. That is all I meant. Chill, son.
Son i'm as chill as a cucumber. I just didn't get the mouthy accusation. I guess i have never seen him argue with pop is all.

EVAY
12-19-2014, 11:08 AM
Son i'm as chill as a cucumber. I just didn't get the mouthy accusation. I guess i have never seen him argue with pop is all.

"argue" might not be the best word. 'Splainin' might be the best. When Pop went off on him the other night it was because Danny immediately starting talking to Pop on the way to the bench. Not a good idea. He has done it almost every time he has gotten in trouble. He tries to tell Pop why he did what he did or why it shouldn't have been a problem. Or he sits down on the bench and starts talking out loud about why he did what he did or why it wasn't wrong. Pop has no patience for that. He won't even take that from Tim, and he (Pop) and Manu agreed long ago to not bother trying to talk to each other when either is hot.

look_at_g_shred
12-19-2014, 11:10 AM
"argue" might not be the best word. 'Splainin' might be the best. When Pop went off on him the other night it was because Danny immediately starting talking to Pop on the way to the bench. Not a good idea. He has done it almost every time he has gotten in trouble. He tries to tell Pop why he did what he did or why it shouldn't have been a problem. Or he sits down on the bench and starts talking out loud about why he did what he did or why it wasn't wrong. Pop has no patience for that. He won't even take that from Tim, and he (Pop) and Manu agreed long ago to not bother trying to talk to each other when either is hot.
Got it man! Better "splanation" lol I'll keep an eye out for it tonight and the rest of the season to see if he gets better at controlling emotions.

Chomag
12-19-2014, 12:08 PM
Danny green has always seemed to be a partier and likes the to live the celeb type life
if a team like LA or Miami offers him a good contract I can see him leaving for that.

Spur|n|Austin
12-19-2014, 12:19 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-GK6wFbTQcgw/T7PDWgW_swI/AAAAAAAABMM/rBVz7iwjTas/s160/bluth-no.gif

wildchild
12-19-2014, 01:02 PM
Kawhi 18 pts, 8 rebs, 6 blks, 5 stls, 4 asts... Almost 5x5 will get media attention, 5 or 6 blocks won't.

PingPong
12-19-2014, 02:06 PM
If he leave the Spurs, will be another Gary Neal.

Mr Bones
12-19-2014, 02:47 PM
Danny had five blocks the other night and it didn't get nearly the press that Kawhi got when he had six..

Kawhi 18 pts, 8 rebs, 6 blks, 5 stls, 4 asts... Almost 5x5 will get media attention, 5 or 6 blocks won't.

Draymond Green had a similar game against New Orleans where he had 11 pts, 13 rebounds, 5 assists, 4 blocks, and 1 steal. And Paul Millsap put up 19 points, 6 rebounds, 7 assists, 3 blocks, and 3 steals against Boston earlier this month. I wish Sportscenter would highlight great games like these over the more predictable parade of meaningless dunks they're so in love with. Both Green and Millsap will be free agents at the end of this season...

apalisoc_9
12-19-2014, 04:20 PM
30 Million for 4 years..

no more, no less..

Malik Hairston
12-19-2014, 05:09 PM
Draymond Green had a similar game against New Orleans where he had 11 pts, 13 rebounds, 5 assists, 4 blocks, and 1 steal. And Paul Millsap put up 19 points, 6 rebounds, 7 assists, 3 blocks, and 3 steals against Boston earlier this month. I wish Sportscenter would highlight great games like these over the more predictable parade of meaningless dunks they're so in love with. Both Green and Millsap will be free agents at the end of this season...

Draymond Green is receiving a ton of hype, tbh..

The team you play for dictates your level of hype in the NBA..

Mr Bones
12-19-2014, 05:11 PM
Draymond Green is receiving a ton of hype, tbh..

The team you play for dictates your level of hype in the NBA..

Putting up career numbers and leading the NBA in a few statistical categories helps too.

cjw
12-19-2014, 05:44 PM
If he leave the Spurs, will be another Gary Neal.

Right, because Gary Neal is a perennial all defense team candidate. Maybe if he were a matador.

FireMicoHalili
12-19-2014, 10:26 PM
Consistently not going to him for game winning shots, after proving he can do it time and time again. This guy is a hell of a player, and it showed tonight. The guy does it all and is under appreciated. I can't blame him if he gets tired of it and takes an offer somewhere else. I hope I'm wrong though. Definitely my favorite player behind Timmy. #greenmachine

How's this for your weakly-supported hypothesis, fool:

:05.7https://sp1.yimg.com/j/assets/i/us/sp/v/nba/teams/83/70x70/sas.pngSADanny Green (https://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/4651/) makes a 23-foot three-pointer from the left wing. Assist: Manu Ginobili (https://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3380/)

FireMicoHalili
12-19-2014, 10:39 PM
And another:
1:24https://sp.yimg.com/j/assets/i/us/sp/v/nba/teams/83/70x70/sas.pngSADanny Green (https://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/4651/) makes a 24-foot three-pointer from the left wing. Assist: Tim Duncan (https://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3173/)

look_at_g_shred
12-20-2014, 12:16 AM
And another:
1:24https://sp.yimg.com/j/assets/i/us/sp/v/nba/teams/83/70x70/sas.pngSADanny Green (https://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/4651/) makes a 24-foot three-pointer from the left wing. Assist: Tim Duncan (https://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3173/)
Quiet down you fucking pussy.

FireMicoHalili
12-20-2014, 12:20 AM
Quiet down you fucking pussy.
Aw man don't feel bad just cause your stupid, baseless fucking ideas got torn down. Good try though.

Harry Callahan
12-20-2014, 12:26 AM
I doubt he leaves. The Spurs developed the skills he had and turned him into something. Danny seems like a pro and fits in well here.

The grass is not always greener.

I think the Spurs have another year or two of contention worth sticking around for. If SA signs M Gasol next summer along with Green and Leonard , the team could be really good for awhile.

FireMicoHalili
12-20-2014, 12:30 AM
one bumbling idiot decides he's not staying just because he was denied the ball in key possessions after one game, on a team that has a philosophy of sharing the ball. Subtle cliff-jumping is what it is. Of course he's a free agent there's always a chance he walks.

SupremeGuy
12-20-2014, 01:58 AM
It's going to come down to money, tbh. If we can offer him a good contract, he'll stay.

Hoops Czar
12-20-2014, 02:41 AM
Spurs aren't signing a max player next year because they'll be too busy scrounging up the cash to pay Leonard and Green. No, they won't touch the luxury tax.

look_at_g_shred
12-20-2014, 12:29 PM
one bumbling idiot decides he's not staying just because he was denied the ball in key possessions after one game, on a team that has a philosophy of sharing the ball. Subtle cliff-jumping is what it is. Of course he's a free agent there's always a chance he walks.
So there's a chance?

FireMicoHalili
12-20-2014, 05:40 PM
So there's a chance?
Oh no there isn't, thank you for feeding us brand new information. Thank you for your novel insight, no one knew Danny could leave San Antonio til you started a thread.

wildchild
12-20-2014, 05:55 PM
Both Green and Millsap will be free agents at the end of this season...

I've said before...when the Spurs can't sign Aldridge/Gasol they overpaid Millsap. I really like him but the Spurs will need a more ofensive bigman when Tim's gone.

Cry Havoc
12-20-2014, 06:02 PM
FWIW.... Danny Green is now the 2nd highest ranked SG in fantasy. And if he continues his play, I think he is making a solid case for himself as a top 3 SG in the league.

SupremeGuy
12-20-2014, 06:33 PM
Spurs aren't signing a max player next year because they'll be too busy scrounging up the cash to pay Leonard and Green. No, they won't touch the luxury tax.They literally asked Kawhi to wait a year to get paid specifically to go after a max player... sounds like you're just hoping the Spurs don't do it, tbh.

Emperor
12-20-2014, 06:41 PM
So if he walks then who replaces him? My pick would be Jimmy Butler but his asking price might be abit too much.

look_at_g_shred
12-20-2014, 07:00 PM
#stayinsa :cry

look_at_g_shred
12-20-2014, 07:05 PM
On a serious note, in my opinion danny green is the best two way guard in the league, but because he isn't able to create his own shot, he doesn't get the recognition by the league in which he should (which is good for us I guess) but I think a guy like jimmy butler is pretty awesome too. Although his defense is severely overrated. Green is a defensive nightmare for opposing guards, and is the best fast break defender in the league. The tamdem of green and Leonard is the best 2/3 defensive combo in the league. I realy hope the guy knows that it's not always about money. All he has to do is look and former Spur Gary Neal.

Chinook
12-20-2014, 09:49 PM
They literally asked Kawhi to wait a year to get paid specifically to go after a max player... sounds like you're just hoping the Spurs don't do it, tbh.

Eh, did you see my salary thread in the Think Tank? The team won't have max room in almost any scenario that involves keeping Green and Leonard.

SupremeGuy
12-20-2014, 09:51 PM
Eh, did you see my salary thread in the Think Tank? The team won't have max room in almost any scenario that involves keeping Green and Leonard.You shut up with your "numbers" and your "logic," I have faith! :cry