PDA

View Full Version : Devin.

silverandblackreign
08-31-2005, 08:34 AM
It looks like the spurs are going to let him walk. He is asking all this money from them, but he is not working out at the gym when he is scheduled to be, and has missed several scheduled visits / meetings with Pop. I dont know who they will replace him with - just that it is not looking good for him to be in silver and black next year. Looks like it will be Utah......

Big Pimp_21
08-31-2005, 08:38 AM
If he's being an ass...let him walk. Have fun in Morman-Town!

Rescueone
08-31-2005, 08:47 AM
It looks like the spurs are going to let him walk. He is asking all this money from them, but he is not working out at the gym when he is scheduled to be, and has missed several scheduled visits / meetings with Pop. I dont know who they will replace him with - just that it is not looking good for him to be in silver and black next year. Looks like it will be Utah......

Where did you get this info from?

Solid D
08-31-2005, 08:48 AM
It didn't sound like Pop wanted to let Devin walk yesterday.

silverandblackreign
08-31-2005, 09:02 AM
friend who is on staff.

Rescueone
08-31-2005, 09:06 AM
friend who is on staff.

If this is true, might be a true sign that Pop knew all along that Finley has chosen the Spurs. CIA Pop at work??

xcoriate
08-31-2005, 09:11 AM
Devin is in the middle of contract negotiations I think i can forgive him for this.

CIA pop one way or the other I think.

ObiwanGinobili
08-31-2005, 09:14 AM
I swear Pop is always wearing the CIA hat.. he never takes it off.
He's a dangerous mofo.

silverandblackreign
08-31-2005, 09:16 AM
who knows? that is just what he told me this morning. It just isnt looking good right now.

loveforthegame
08-31-2005, 09:16 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA083105.1C.BKNspurs.vanexel.finley.da8970d.html

Popovich confirmed that if Finley does end up elsewhere, the Spurs would turn to their own restricted free agent, Devin Brown, to fill their opening for another wing player. The team made Brown a qualifying offer of about $900,000, but his agent, Darrick Powell, said Brown "is not a $1-million player."

Talks between the two sides have remained luke warm as the Spurs have pursued Finley.

"We told (Brown) we had to do the Michael Finley deal if it was possible," Popovich said. "Devin probably doesn't like that, but he understands that. That's what this business is all about."

Brown still can sign an offer sheet with another team, but the Spurs can keep him by matching the offer within seven days. Popovich said Brown's back injury — which sidelined him for much of last season — hasn't affected the Spurs' approach this summer, even though he can't be sure if Brown has completely recovered.

"I would hope so, but I would guess not," Popovich said. "I don't think you know if someone's 100 percent until you get him into some kind of practice."

Big Pimp_21
08-31-2005, 09:17 AM
"I think Finley will go to Phoenix"....bullshit! Pop is saying that just like he said he didn't know Van Exel was coming to town until he bumped into him at the airport. I think Finley signs here and Pop knows it.

Rescueone
08-31-2005, 09:22 AM
"I think Finley will go to Phoenix"....bullshit! Pop is saying that just like he said he didn't know Van Exel was coming to town until he bumped into him at the airport. I think Finley signs here and Pop knows it.

We shall see!!!

silverandblackreign
08-31-2005, 09:30 AM
Notice the last line - "You dont know if someone is healthy until you get them into some kind of practice." Pop has been trying to get Devin in the gym but he is giving Pop the "cold shoulder".

picnroll
08-31-2005, 09:30 AM
If true either Devin is pissed or he may truly wanted to go somehwere else where he has a better chance of getting substantial PT. Ether way the cards are in Pop's hands and if Finley doesn't sign Pop will recapture Devin or at worse for the Spurs, if he senses Brown may have a long term attitude problem, Spur's can force a S&T.

loveforthegame
08-31-2005, 09:33 AM

One would hope that's the case. Maybe they're still working through a contract or just waiting until Finley can come to SA this week?

One would think that if Pop truly believes he's heading to Phoenix, they'd turn there attention to Devin or someone else instead.

Rescueone
08-31-2005, 09:43 AM
If true either Devin is pissed or he may truly wanted to go somehwere else where he has a better chance of getting substantial PT. Ether way the cards are in Pop's hands and if Finley doesn't sign Pop will recapture Devin or at worse for the Spurs, if he senses Brown may have a long term attitude problem, Spur's can force a S&T.

This seems odd to me. DB has never had an "attitude" problem. I thought he understood the business aspect of Spurs basketball. Why scorn the team gave you a shot in the league? If he suddenly developed an attitude from the courting of Finley, then his ego has got the best of him. I agree if this is true I would do a sign and trade in a heart beat. I'd take a second round pick for him.

Solid D
Notice the last line - "You dont know if someone is healthy until you get them into some kind of practice." Pop has been trying to get Devin in the gym but he is giving Pop the "cold shoulder".

I believe this.

Why would Devin's agent encourage Devin to show up at the practice facility if someone could use recent workouts and how Devin looks physically ("leg still looks weak, due to back issues", etc.) as a bargaining ploy?

I'm also sure Devin is bothered by waiting to be asked to the prom, if the "trophy date" doesn't say yes, first.

boutons
If the report is true, Devin is simply looking after Devin, rather than continuing to be a wannabe Spur and waiting for the Spurs to make their move, just like Pop is looking after Pop/Spurs by keeping Devin waiting. A simple matter of common sense, and pride, and both sides.

Pop has already shown the he would rather have Fin than Devin, so WTF is Devin supposed to do with that?

CharlieMac
08-31-2005, 09:47 AM
Brown knows he's waiting on Finley's decision. He's Plan B and he knows it. I'd rather have Plan B though. Age matters.

Rescueone
08-31-2005, 09:55 AM
If the report is true, Devin is simply looking after Devin, rather than continuing to be a wannabe Spur and waiting for the Spurs to make their move, just like Pop is looking after Pop/Spurs by keeping Devin waiting. A simple matter of common sense, and pride, and both sides.

Pop has already shown the he would rather have Fin than Devin, so WTF is Devin supposed to do with that?

Yeah, he also shown that he wanted Chris Weber than David Robinson also, or Jason Kidd than Tony Parker, but when all is said and done, Robinson and Parker were still Spurs. Let's just wait and see what happens! Remember, with, or without Devin the Spurs still are the favorites next year!!!

Admidave50
08-31-2005, 10:04 AM
Yeah, he also shown that he wanted Chris Weber than David Robinson

Really?? In which year? wtf..

Remember, with, or without Devin the Spurs still are the favorites next year!!!

That's clearl, he hardly contributed during these playoffs and we still won the trophy
:fro

Rescueone
08-31-2005, 10:07 AM
Really?? In which year? wtf..

That's clearl, he hardly contributed during these playoffs and we still won the trophy
:fro

The year Chris Weber was a free agent! 2002-2003. You don't remember??? WTF. Are you a Spurs fan???

Solid D
08-31-2005, 10:15 AM
Summer of 2001 was when David re-signed for his final 2 years. Pop called Chris Webber to try to entice him to come to SA but Chris reportedly never got back with Pop. It was a big deal for a while that summer.

Rescueone
08-31-2005, 10:24 AM
Summer of 2001 was when David re-signed for his final 2 years. Pop called Chris Webber to try to entice him to come to SA but Chris reportedly never got back with Pop. It was a big deal for a while that summer.

Thanks, I lost a year there :tu

DesiSpur_21
08-31-2005, 10:29 AM

Yeah - that was real ugly times for fans....

Thank god Webber and Kidd (2003) deal didn't go through :lol :lol

Rescueone
08-31-2005, 10:38 AM

Thank god Webber and Kidd deal didn't go through :lol :lol

AMEN!!!

Solid D
08-31-2005, 10:51 AM

Thank god Webber and Kidd deal didn't go through :lol :lol

That's why 2001 was such a pivotal summer leading up to a championship 2 seasons later. There was the Derek Anderson fiasco where the Spurs thought they had a deal for $42M plus incentives with DA, Pop and others went to Timmy's wedding in the islands, then boom, DA and his agent gets all strange and forces a sign-&-trade scenario (for one more year but less money).

The Spurs tried to court the big FA dangling out there in Webber, then ended up being capped-out after signing David as their FA for 2 yrs. and $10M per season. They were forced to "make-do". So they 1) parlayed their genius draft pick Parker, who started 6 games into his rookie season and 2) incredible recruitment of Bruce Bowen for $750K, plus 3) sprinkle-in summer league signee Stephen Jackson into that mix with 4) David and what did they end up with? The starting lineup with 5) TD for the 2003 Championship Team.

Amazing.

Kori Ellis
08-31-2005, 11:01 AM
Why would Devin be in trouble for missing required workouts at the practice facility? Isn't it against the rules for teams to practice together during the offseason?

silverandblackreign
08-31-2005, 11:08 AM
Not as a team. Pop asked Devin to come in to work out solo, and show that he is recovering, getting stronger, better etc.. Devin did not show up, and there were also some scheduled meetings with Pop that Devin did not show up to. Anyway - the team has ben working out together (conditioning) for the past 2 weeks (not at the practice facility though)

DesiSpur_21
08-31-2005, 11:09 AM
That's why 2001 was such a pivotal summer leading up to a championship 2 seasons later. There was the Derek Anderson fiasco where the Spurs thought they had a deal for $42M plus incentives with DA, Pop and others went to Timmy's wedding in the islands, then boom, DA and his agent gets all strange and forces a sign-&-trade scenario (for one more year but less money).

The Spurs tried to court the big FA dangling out there in Webber, then ended up being capped-out after signing David as their FA for 2 yrs. and $10M per season. They were forced to "make-do". So they 1) parlayed their genius draft pick Parker, who started 6 games into his rookie season and 2) incredible recruitment of Bruce Bowen for $750K, plus 3) sprinkle-in summer league signee Stephen Jackson into that mix with 4) David and what did they end up with? The starting lineup with 5) TD for the 2003 Championship Team.

Amazing.

:tu

Not to forget getting Steve Smith's expiring contract just in time to clear cap space for future Manu/Parker signings :spin

Kori Ellis
08-31-2005, 11:10 AM
Interesting.

Well I don't think they can require free agents to show up for anything in the summer. But it doesn't help Devin's cause if he's being an ass though.

timvp
08-31-2005, 04:28 PM
I bet this is pretty accurate.

It makes sense if you are Devin. If you go out there and don't perform perfectly, the Spurs will use that against him in negotiations. If the Spurs miss out on Finley, Devin is pretty much now their only choice. James Jones and Maurice Evans are gone.

I'm guessing the Spurs' third option is Matt Barnes, but that's a rather large drop off from the first two options.

CubanMustGo
08-31-2005, 04:40 PM
Well, good luck, Devin. I hope your back is healed, and you get the chance to show what you can do with another team. A team besides Phoenix, that is.

Kip Fanatic
08-31-2005, 04:42 PM
It would stink if Devin went to Phoenix and killed us with like a 30+ points on his first return here to S.A

timvp
08-31-2005, 04:42 PM
Devin in Utah would be great for everyone. He can be a huge addition and a starter for the Jazz.

Rescueone
08-31-2005, 05:37 PM
If this is true, might be a true sign that Pop knew all along that Finley has chosen the Spurs. CIA Pop at work??

See what did I tell ya boy :smokin !!!!

silverandblackreign
09-01-2005, 07:36 AM
You mean........what did I tell YOU.

Next Up - Devin to Utah.

rwb
09-01-2005, 07:57 AM
Sometimes agents screw their own clients, and I think Devin's agent has been blowing smoke up his ass instead of trying to work out the best deal for him. Any team is going to be wary of Devin's back injury, and instead of going for more than anyone thinks he's worth right now, Devin needs to be getting into a deal that will give him some kind of future. We all know that Devin's always had great potential, but now he needs to prove himself as someone's who's really healthy and is going to play all out like he used to. Dodging workouts and avoiding Pop is not the way to do it and I'd be willing to bet his agent is the one telling him to do it.

Vashner
09-01-2005, 08:50 AM
Like I said.. Disk disease does not go away.. ever.. you can cut it. you can fuse it.. but you can never 100% fix it.. NEVER.. (I have 8 bad disks well disks with no goop in the middle).

Big Pimp_21
09-01-2005, 09:30 AM

See

Rescueone
09-01-2005, 01:25 PM

This is the start of your topic!

silverandblackreign
09-01-2005, 01:29 PM
ok - that was meant to read between the lines. I was not going to come out and tell you the Spurs are signing Finley. Not really my place to divulge that info on a chat board.

Rescueone
09-01-2005, 02:00 PM
ok - that was meant to read between the lines. I was not going to come out and tell you the Spurs are signing Finley. Not really my place to divulge that info on a chat board.

Ok. got it....U da Man!! :tu :tu

CaptainLate
09-01-2005, 03:17 PM
Summer of 2001 was when David re-signed for his final 2 years. Pop called Chris Webber to try to entice him to come to SA but Chris reportedly never got back with Pop.

Webber later said he didn't return the call because he was afraid Pop would be able to convince him to leave. Thanks for not returning the call, Chris. Enjoy Philly because you won't get embarassed by TD anymore.

CaptainLate
09-01-2005, 03:25 PM
Like I said.. Disk disease does not go away.. ever.. you can cut it. you can fuse it.. but you can never 100% fix it.. NEVER.. (I have 8 bad disks well disks with no goop in the middle).

Vashner, check out www.GetADR.com

sprrs
09-01-2005, 03:53 PM
"If you see guys get minutes and you're just sitting there and you're OK with it, there's something wrong with you."
That quote kinda soured me on Brown. I understand that he's young and he wants to play, but that doesn't fit into the mold of the Spurs. Hell Robert Horry said as much:

"I've been on some teams where guys who think they should be playing become cancers, then it affects the morale of the team and that's not a good thing."
I dunno if he was vocal about his lack of minutes or whatever but I still wasn't a fan of that attitude, and I wasn't all that dissapointed when Pop said if we get Finley we're not getting Brown