PDA

View Full Version : Astrodome getting all the people from Superdome

Jimcs50
08-31-2005, 09:08 AM
It was just announced that they are moving all the people from the Superdome to the Astrodome.

This is going to be unbelievable.

ObiwanGinobili
08-31-2005, 09:11 AM
Damn. Astrodome is a shit hole.
Now I really feel sorry for these folks.

But it's good to know that good ol SA is ready and willing to help.

ObiwanGinobili
08-31-2005, 09:13 AM
they should go hang out at kori and timvp's house

what if they are Hornet's fans?

Jimcs50
08-31-2005, 09:15 AM

No, the Superdome is a shithole...20 thousand people, no AC, no working toilets...think about it.

ObiwanGinobili
08-31-2005, 09:29 AM
No, the Superdome is a shithole...20 thousand people, no AC, no working toilets...think about it.

jim. take your giggle pill. I put it right next to your coffee. :fro
maybe you knocked it on the floor..

SpursWoman
08-31-2005, 09:39 AM
jim. take your giggle pill. I put it right next to your coffee. :fro
maybe you knocked it on the floor..

Jim was being very literal. :)

SWC Bonfire
08-31-2005, 09:51 AM
Some of these people aren't going back. Houston is probably going to explode in population.

T Park
08-31-2005, 10:05 AM
Astrodome is a shit hole.

It is not, I have a business out at the Houston Rodeo every year, and the Astrodome is stilla good facility, and will be great for these poor people.

Give me a freakin break.

Id say the Superdome is a shit hole.

Extra Stout
08-31-2005, 10:13 AM
Some of these people aren't going back. Houston is probably going to explode in population.Bah. We'll just stick all those people over in Beaumont and rename it New Orleans, TX.

Sportcamper
08-31-2005, 10:21 AM
Those folks are much safer moving out of the Superdome & into the Astrodome located in Joel Osteen Texas...They have the advantage of being close to “Lakewood Church” Located at the former Compaq Center...

They may not be ready for catastrophes of this magnitude, but they are probably the most prepared organization there is....

King
08-31-2005, 10:51 AM
The Astrodome is a horrible hitter's park.

Vashner
08-31-2005, 10:55 AM
They need flatter buildings not something designed for sitting in.. they need to lay down and walk.

sa_butta
08-31-2005, 11:08 AM
At least they will have A/C and more supplies to help these people. The Superdome has turned into the shitterdome.

SWC Bonfire
08-31-2005, 11:16 AM
They need flatter buildings not something designed for sitting in.. they need to lay down and walk.

FYI - the Astrodome is more than just the Astrodome. Huge amounts of floorspace, they have conventions there all the time.

TOP-CHERRY
08-31-2005, 11:23 AM
How are they moving them?

sa_butta
08-31-2005, 11:29 AM
How are they moving them?buses

TOP-CHERRY
08-31-2005, 11:39 AM
^Ah, cool.

ObiwanGinobili
08-31-2005, 11:41 AM

they should open up all the expo buildings around the Astrodome and reliant park...
those things are HUGEEE!!

Horry For 3!
08-31-2005, 11:43 AM

Astrodome is in Houston not SA :p

samikeyp
08-31-2005, 11:46 AM

they will probably put most of the people, especially those who are most in need, on the floor....the floor space there is huge. Its not just the football field...with all the benches and equipment gone, there will be thousands of square feet.

08-31-2005, 11:48 AM
When I went to the rodeo at the Astrodome years ago, they announced they had something like 4 acres of floor space that they ran the rodeo on.

ObiwanGinobili
08-31-2005, 12:00 PM
Astrodome is in Houston not SA :p

bitch! :lol you know that was a typo..... "TX"

Jimcs50
08-31-2005, 12:06 PM
I am glad to hear that Bush is cutting his vacation short by 2 days so he can tour the flooded areas.

:rolleyes

Fucker has been on vacation more days than any President in the history of the US.(check out the facts), so he better cut his freaking vacation short.

tlongII
08-31-2005, 02:04 PM
The Astrodome is a horrible hitter's park.

I'd hit it.

Spurminator
08-31-2005, 02:09 PM
I'd hit it.

:lmao

T Park
08-31-2005, 02:25 PM
Fucker has been on vacation more days than any President in the history of the US.(check out the facts), so he better cut his freaking vacation short.

So fucking what.

How many times you go on vacation?

Should we start checking how many days you go on compared to other dentists??

Get the fuck off your high horse.

atlfan25
08-31-2005, 02:32 PM
I would like some verifiable proof of the quantity of vacation days of every President for comparison.

Vashner
08-31-2005, 02:36 PM
It's not really a vacation... just a different bed to sleep in. But they have a full digital underground bunker at his ranch. Mobile command center buried..

They also have 2 blackhawks hidden under 2 barn looking buildings.

And more toys...

T Park
08-31-2005, 02:41 PM
they have a full digital underground bunker at his ranch. Mobile command center buried..

Thats correct, crawford is practically White House south...

Id love to know, do they want the guy to work 365 24 7??

You morons know this IS the most stressfull job in the world ya know.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
08-31-2005, 02:49 PM
what if they are Hornet's fans?

The Hornets have fans? :wow

Jimcs50
08-31-2005, 02:51 PM

The facts are, Bush has taken off 1 day for every 4 days he has worked...that is by far the most of any other President in history

They say he is just "kicking back", I want to know when he is going to kick forward.

T Park
08-31-2005, 02:58 PM
I noticed you didn't go over, how wed like to check your vacation vs other dentist's vacation.

Who says he is "kicking back"

What do you want him to fuckin do??

Say

"Get them water"

Do you think he hasn't DONE THAT??

Use your fuckin head.

nkdlunch
08-31-2005, 03:11 PM
Bush probably does less at the white house than at his ranch. At least at his ranch he goes horsebackriding and plays cowboys and shit.

Jimcs50
08-31-2005, 03:13 PM
I noticed you didn't go over, how wed like to check your vacation vs other dentist's vacation.

Who says he is "kicking back"

What do you want him to fuckin do??

Say

"Get them water"

Do you think he hasn't DONE THAT??

Use your fuckin head.

That was the quote from his press secretary, that he was "kicking back" at the ranch a few weeks ago.

BTW, when I am on vacation, I am not being paid by the tax payers....HUGE DIFFERENCE there, pal.

tw05baller
08-31-2005, 03:17 PM
The Hornets have fans? :wow
:lmao

T Park
08-31-2005, 03:28 PM
I am not being paid by the tax payers....HUGE DIFFERENCE there, pal.

lol Bush lives off the salary we give him??

Gotcha.

Bush probably does less at the white house than at his ranch. At least at his ranch he goes horsebackriding and plays cowboys and shit

god shut your fuckin mouth already.

JUST CURIOUS ALSO Jim

when was it a crime to go on vacation.

You become president, you cant do it???

More interesting Logic.

batman2883
08-31-2005, 03:29 PM
Yeah he's the commander in chief he should be able to unwind and relax with his job being a constant battle with the world

T Park
08-31-2005, 03:32 PM
Yeah he's the commander in chief he should be able to unwind and relax with his job being a constant battle with the world

Pish posh.

Dont you know he should be in his office at all times!!!!!

COME ON!!!

Jekka
08-31-2005, 03:39 PM

Hey, Bush ran for the job voluntarily - he fought for it - he knew what the job entailed - he should have known how stressful it would be (if for no other reason than the fact that he watched his father go through it) - so him taking so many extra vacation days doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. You act like someone forced him into it.

Shelly
08-31-2005, 03:40 PM
When is going down to the Gulf States?

Marcus Bryant
08-31-2005, 03:41 PM
But of course Bush couldn't do his job away from DC here in the Internets Age.

Perhaps the Secret Service doesn't mind having him in a somewhat isolated location away from a known target like the White House.

Clandestino
08-31-2005, 03:46 PM
STFU! he is not totally vacationing in crawford.. work is still done.. give me a fucking break.

T Park
08-31-2005, 03:49 PM
Hey, Bush ran for the job voluntarily - he fought for it - he knew what the job entailed - he should have known how stressful it would be (if for no other reason than the fact that he watched his father go through it) - so him taking so many extra vacation days doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. You act like someone forced him into it.

So the next time you volunteer for something, your willing to work their every day 10 hours a day, never take a day off??

He takes some extra days, WTF, why is that a problem........

Give me a fuckin break people.

So he knows the job is stressfull therefore, he cant compensate for it, nice spin there.....

But of course, I am an evil conservative, what would I know.

Jekka
08-31-2005, 03:55 PM
So the next time you volunteer for something, your willing to work their every day 10 hours a day, never take a day off??
No, he took the job of his own volition, he isn't "volunteering" - he's working on $400,000 tax payer dollars a year (which was $200,000 until the day Bush Jr stepped into office).

Well, we're in the middle of a war, I'd say EXTRA days are a problem.

Not all conservatives are evil, only the ones that can't seem to use their brains. And to be fair, that goes for "liberals" as well.

nkdlunch
08-31-2005, 03:57 PM
No use to argue w/this moron TPark. No wonder he quit on the Spurs like he did. He's a brainless fuck

Jimcs50
08-31-2005, 04:17 PM

Give me a fuckin break people.

So he knows the job is stressfull therefore, he cant compensate for it, nice spin there.....

These are the facts:

Bush works til 5 pm

Bush never works weekends

Look it up.

Our economy is bad, we are at war, we are now more in debt than any time in the history of the world, and he has to take 1 day of vacation for every 4 days he works???

Yeah, TPark, keep telling yourself that that makes perfect sense.

Clandestino
08-31-2005, 04:19 PM
how the fuck do you know when he works?

Shelly
08-31-2005, 04:22 PM
how the fuck do you know when he works?

Jim's his dentist. It's amazing what people will say while under the gas...

T Park
08-31-2005, 04:29 PM
Our economy is bad

lmao the fuck it is.

Are you kidding me.

If you think this economy is bad, you dont know WTF a bad economy is.

No, he took the job of his own volition, he isn't "volunteering

Hey, Bush ran for the job voluntarily

Wich is it???

Horry For 3!
08-31-2005, 04:30 PM
bitch! :lol you know that was a typo..... "TX"
I had to do it :angel

T Park
08-31-2005, 04:30 PM
No use to argue w/this moron TPark. No wonder he quit on the Spurs like he did. He's a brainless fuck

No it isnt.

Your from another country so what the hell would you know whats going on here, so STFU.

And get the fuck over the Spurs.

You people are way too fucking obsessed with sports.

nkdlunch
08-31-2005, 04:34 PM
You fucking moron, I live in this country and probably contribute more than your ass. You probably only contribute to Subway and Macdonals.

Jimcs50
08-31-2005, 04:44 PM
lmao the fuck it is.

Are you kidding me.

If you think this economy is bad, you dont know WTF a bad economy is.

Wich is it???

The National debt is right at $ 8,000,000,000,000.00

The estimated population of the United States is 297,039,770
so each citizen's share of this debt is $27,000.00

The National Debt has continued to increase an average of
$1.68 billion per day since September 30, 2004!

Do you even read the newspaper or watch the news???

What a total idiot.

SpursWoman
08-31-2005, 04:48 PM
No, he took the job of his own volition, he isn't "volunteering" - he's working on $400,000 tax payer dollars a year (which was $200,000 until the day Bush Jr stepped into office)..

I don't care what their affiliation is, the President of the United States doesn't get paid nearly enough to put up with the shit he has to put up with. So, I look at it as Comp-Time.

:lol

Oh, and BTW...there's a whole 'nother forum for this shit. Can we stay on-topic please?

Jekka
08-31-2005, 04:58 PM
Wich is it???

Assuming you meant "which" - God forbid I use the same root word two different ways - holy shit! If you worked on your contextual comprehension maybe you wouldn't have asked - unless ... you were trying to make me look in the wrong by pointing out valid word choices? Smooth.

You get so flustered when people disagree with you - calm down and accept that not everyone will agree with your conclusions and disparity is not necessarily an attack. You're not going to convert us all - especially not with insults, profanity, and petty technicalities.

Clandestino
08-31-2005, 05:00 PM
Assuming you meant "which" - God forbid I use the same root word two different ways - holy shit! If you worked on your contextual comprehension maybe you wouldn't have asked - unless ... you were trying to make me look in the wrong by pointing out valid word choices? Smooth.

You get so flustered when people disagree with you - calm down and accept that not everyone will agree with your conclusions and disparity is not necessarily an attack. You're not going to convert us all - especially not with insults, profanity, and petty technicalities.

tpark, just tell her, "bitch, stfu!" i would, but she has me on block!

Extra Stout
08-31-2005, 05:03 PM
Getting back to the Astrodome...

I would advise Texans season-ticket holders not to park their cars at Reliant Stadium this year.

Let's just say that around 98% of the refugees coming in are decent law-abiding citizens.

Jimcs50
08-31-2005, 05:03 PM
tpark, just tell her, "bitch, stfu!" i would, but she has me on block!

Gee, I wonder why.

Jimcs50
08-31-2005, 05:06 PM

I would advise Texans season-ticket holders not to park their cars at Reliant Stadium this year.

Let's just say that around 98% of the refugees coming in are decent law-abiding citizens.

I was at Reliant Stadium on Saturday to watch my son's HS team play against a Houston team. I got to watch instant replays, which is cool because you never get to see that in HS games. Also my son was on the big screen twice...that was fun.

It was awesome.

But, I did step in some human shit behind my car after the game...it was nasty. I think it must have been a homeless person or just some fan that really could not wait.

So watch your step at Reliant Stadium.

:)

Clandestino
08-31-2005, 05:07 PM
Gee, I wonder why.

re-read her post and what is the first thing that comes to your mind? mine is stfu...

Jekka
08-31-2005, 05:10 PM
I was at Reliant Stadium on Saturday to watch my son's HS team play against a Houston team. I got to watch instant replays, which is cool because you never get to see that in HS games. Also my son was on the big screen twice...that was fun.

It was awesome.

But, I did step in some human shit behind my car after the game...it was nasty. I think it must have been a homeless person or just some fan that really could not wait.

So watch your step at Reliant Stadium.

:)
Gross. I've heard some bad stories from Reliant, but I think that beats all.

CharlieMac
08-31-2005, 05:27 PM
So fucking what.

How many times you go on vacation?

Should we start checking how many days you go on compared to other dentists??

Get the fuck off your high horse.

God damn super-patriot, you do this in every thread. You make it really hard to defend another Republican. Calmly say "So what?" Then point out the type of facilities Bush has at his ranch. He's not really "On vacation" in this day and age with so many means of technology and communication.

But the fact is that yes, technically he has taken more "vacation" days than any other president. But it's not like he leaves the office, shuts off his cell phone and catches a plane to Cancun. Besides, had he cut his vacation short the moment it was realized that Katrina would hit New Orleans, the left would have jumped on him for trying to play on people's emotions, or something predictable like that.

The Astrodome is heaven compared to living in sitting water with no bathrooms, AC, clean water, or a dry place to rest your head.

Spurfect
08-31-2005, 07:22 PM
I live in Houston and there are many people here willing to take in families. alot of companies are offering jobs. one man lent his beach house to a family that has a kid with diabetes and one with cerebal palsy. One man is going to pay 6 months rent for a family. alot of amazing things happening over here in H-Town

SpursWoman
08-31-2005, 07:26 PM
I live in Houston and there are many people here willing to take in families. alot of companies are offering jobs. one man lent his beach house to a family that has a kid with diabetes and one with cerebal palsy. One man is going to pay 6 months rent for a family. alot of amazing things happening over here in H-Town

That certainly makes a heart feel good....that's awesome! :)

MannyIsGod
08-31-2005, 07:34 PM
God damn super-patriot, you do this in every thread.
:lmao x a milion. Nice.

N.Y. Johnny
08-31-2005, 07:35 PM

Thats great and good to hear, I am glad people do things like this its not easy being in a fuckin disaster as i remember being painfully worried about friends and family back in 2001 with the WTC attacks...but then i think also about some of those creeps out there price gouging Hotels and just those pricks that are going to exploit some of these people...fuckin assholes

MannyIsGod
08-31-2005, 07:37 PM

You know, I almost wish people in neighboring states would be kind enough to take some people in for awhile. This shit is rough, and it is at times like this that it hurts to watch some people completely open their arms while others just turn their backs and ignore the situation.
It is because of people like them, that I still have faith in humanity.

GrandeDavid
08-31-2005, 07:43 PM
I had to come to Houston on urgent business and all the hotels were booked where I`d normally stay (near the Galleria) so I`m at a Marriott off Fannin near Reliant Stadium and the Dome.

I hear the buses will start rolling in around 3:00 AM, so it`ll be interesting seeing the activity tomorrow morning.

God bless the suffering folks, our neighbors. In Houston I`ve spoken with several folks from New Orleans. What a damn shame. Pray and help, people!

Jimcs50
08-31-2005, 07:52 PM
I have offered my house to a small family who are friends of one of my golfing buddies, who lived in Biloxi. I am a little leary about having strangers here, but I am still doing it.

The mayor of Houston has said that hotels and people are giving rooms to the people from our neighboring state to the East. The kids are going to be able to go to the Houston schools until they get back home.

Texans are some of the most caring and hospitable people around, I have faith that these people will be alright.

MannyIsGod
08-31-2005, 07:55 PM
I have offered my house to a small family who are friends of one of my golfing buddies, who lived in Biloxi. I am a little leary about having strangers here, but I am still doing it.

The mayor of Houston has said that hotels and people are giving rooms to the people from our neighboring state to the East. The kids are going to be able to go to the Houston schools until they get back home.

Texans are some of the most caring and hospitable people around, I have faith that these people will be alright.
Jim, you're fucking awesome. I love the way you give back man, seriously.

N.Y. Johnny
08-31-2005, 07:56 PM
Jim's a Saint....you sound like a good man Jim, only knock i got against you..you're a Dead Sox fan :lmao

hey man jk.....good things you're doin there man :spin

T Park
08-31-2005, 10:32 PM
If Duff would give back Jim his money, he wouldve been able to bring in two fams.

atlfan25
09-01-2005, 12:45 AM
Verifable facts of vacation days of every President in history. I want them.

atlfan25
09-01-2005, 12:49 AM
I would also like the amount of hours jim thinks a President should work per week compared to amount of hours Bush works per week.
As well as the amount of hours every President worked per week.

I want to see their time cards.

MannyIsGod
09-01-2005, 01:01 AM
So use google and find them.

atlfan25
09-01-2005, 01:08 AM
No.

I do not believe they exist.

MannyIsGod
09-01-2005, 01:14 AM
No.

I do not believe they exist.
That must mean they don't. I mean, surely only what you believe exsists, exsists.

This isn't the tooth fair, its records of what the person occupying the most important post of our government does. They most certainly exsist. If you want to see them, look for them.

If not? Then STFU or make a point already.

atlfan25
09-01-2005, 01:15 AM
You missed the point then already. If there are not verifiable facts of how much each president has worked, then jim is talking out of his ass.

Cant_Be_Faded
09-01-2005, 01:16 AM
2 paths
"that it is"
and
"that it is not"

surely we can dismiss the second path because we can never know "that it is not" and if we did, then it would be "that it is"

j-6
09-01-2005, 01:17 AM
That must mean they don't. I mean, surely only what you believe exsists, exsists.

This isn't the tooth fair, its records of what the person occupying the most important post of our government does. They most certainly exsist. If you want to see them, look for them.

If not? Then STFU or make a point already.

Are you drunk Manny or did TPark steal your login info? :lol

MannyIsGod
09-01-2005, 01:21 AM
Until now, probably no modern president was a more famous vacationer than Ronald Reagan, who loved spending time at his ranch in Santa Barbara, Calif. According to an Associated Press count, Reagan spent all or part of 335 days in Santa Barbara over his eight-year presidency -- a total that Bush will surpass this month in Crawford with 3 1/2 years left in his second term.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/02/AR2005080201703_pf.html

Cant_Be_Faded
09-01-2005, 01:22 AM

:lol jekka is fun to quote

Cant_Be_Faded
09-01-2005, 01:24 AM
No, he took the job of his own volition, he isn't "volunteering" - he's working on $400,000 tax payer dollars a year (which was $200,000 until the day Bush Jr stepped into office).

Well, we're in the middle of a war, I'd say EXTRA days are a problem.

Not all conservatives are evil, only the ones that can't seem to use their brains. And to be fair, that goes for "liberals" as well.

Jekka's like a white/female Hitch

atlfan25
09-01-2005, 01:24 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/02/AR2005080201703_pf.html
now for Thomas Jefferson and James Polk's vacation days.

atlfan25
09-01-2005, 01:26 AM
and does them being on a ranch mean they are not working

copies of time cards are needed

what if they are always at the white house but not working?

how do we account for that

i need video

Cant_Be_Faded
09-01-2005, 01:26 AM

LOL

Jekka should get a Spur for this thread

"Jekka earned this spur for making TPark seem retarded"

atlfan25
09-01-2005, 01:27 AM
We are born to inquire after truth; it belongs to a greater power to possess it. It is not, as Democritus said, hid in the bottom of the depths, but rather elevated to an infinite height in the divine knowledge.

MannyIsGod
09-01-2005, 01:27 AM
I'm bored tonight, but not bored enough to do all of the research for you. Like I said, use google. He's the one calling it a vacation (Bush), not me. I know what the president does, but its a vacation none the less.

MannyIsGod
09-01-2005, 01:28 AM
LOL

Jekka should get a Spur for this thread

"Jekka earned this spur for making TPark seem retarded"
If they gave out Spurs for making TPark look stupid, there would be no room for anything else.

Cant_Be_Faded
09-01-2005, 01:29 AM
God damn super-patriot, you do this in every thread. You make it really hard to defend another Republican. Calmly say "So what?" Then point out the type of facilities Bush has at his ranch. He's not really "On vacation" in this day and age with so many means of technology and communication.

But the fact is that yes, technically he has taken more "vacation" days than any other president. But it's not like he leaves the office, shuts off his cell phone and catches a plane to Cancun. Besides, had he cut his vacation short the moment it was realized that Katrina would hit New Orleans, the left would have jumped on him for trying to play on people's emotions, or something predictable like that.

The Astrodome is heaven compared to living in sitting water with no bathrooms, AC, clean water, or a dry place to rest your head.

A Foofida classic :tu

j-6
09-01-2005, 01:30 AM
now for Thomas Jefferson and James Polk's vacation days.

Jefferson went to Monticello to bang Sally Hemings, but in all fairness his estate was about 100 miles away from DC.

I don't know shit about James Polk. Sorry if that makes me less of an American.

Cant_Be_Faded
09-01-2005, 01:31 AM
OMG i just read this thread (backwards first, then forwards)

this has to be a fucking classic

Every time i read a TPark post i think of that scene in Team America World Police when Michael Moore is holding 2 hot dogs and swaying his hips as he's about to blow up HQ while making crude noises

MannyIsGod
09-01-2005, 01:33 AM
:lmao @ Moore and the hot dogs.

Cant_Be_Faded
http://www.mdr.de/IT/90213-high.jpg

rofl rofl

man what did i do before spurstalk

you guys are fuckin hilarious

atlfan25
Jefferson went to Monticello to bang Sally Hemings, but in all fairness his estate was about 100 miles away from DC.

I don't know shit about James Polk. Sorry if that makes me less of an American.
I would now like to see some pics of Sally Hemings

she must have been smokin

to go 100 miles on a horse to fuck a girl in those days is quite the journey

MannyIsGod
09-01-2005, 01:34 AM

rofl rofl

man what did i do before spurstalk

you guys are fuckin hilarious
You fucking beat me too it! I had just opened google!

Oh shit I nearly spit my Coke over the desk.

Cant_Be_Faded
09-01-2005, 01:36 AM
lol my internet is running at tortoise speed
i just typed in "team america michael moore" and that was the only result

i was hoping for one when he was in HQ but this had to suffice

j-6
09-01-2005, 01:37 AM
I would now like to see some pics of Sally Hemings

she must have been smokin

to go 100 miles on a horse to fuck a girl in those days is quite the journey

The way there shouldn't have been so bad considering he knew how he was going to rid himself of his saddle-rub erection.

I bet the ride home was awfully rough. Ouch.

Jimcs50
09-01-2005, 09:09 AM

Here we are, off topic againks to TPark.
Here is the article that I read on this in the Post, it was also reported on CNN Sunday morning. If you would read a newspaper or watch the news every now and again...then you would know these things. :rolleyes

washingtonpost.com
Vacationing Bush Poised to Set a Record
With Long Sojourn at Ranch, President on His Way to Surpassing Reagan's Total

By Jim VandeHei and Peter Baker
Washington Post Staff Writers
Wednesday, August 3, 2005; A04

WACO, Tex., Aug. 2 -- President Bush is getting the kind of break most Americans can only dream of -- nearly five weeks away from the office, loaded with vacation time.

The president departed Tuesday for his longest stretch yet away from the White House, arriving at his Crawford ranch in the evening for a stretch of clearing brush, visiting with family and friends, and tending to some outside-the-Beltway politics. By historical standards, it is the longest presidential retreat in at least 36 years.

The August getaway is Bush's 49th trip to his cherished ranch since taking office and the 319th day that Bush has spent, entirely or partially, in Crawford -- nearly 20 percent of his presidency to date, according to Mark Knoller, a CBS Radio reporter known for keeping better records of the president's travel than the White House itself. Weekends and holidays at Camp David or at his parents' compound in Kennebunkport, Maine, bump up the proportion of Bush's time away from Washington even further.

Bush's long vacations are more than a curiosity: They play into diametrically opposite arguments about this leadership style. To critics and late-night comics, they symbolize a lackadaisical approach to the world's most important day job, an impression bolstered by Bush's two-hour midday exercise sessions and his disinclination to work nights or weekends. The more vociferous among Bush's foes have noted that he spent a month at the ranch shortly before the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, when critics assert he should have been more attentive to warning signs.

To Bush and his advisers, that criticism fundamentally misunderstands his Texas sojourns. Those who think he does not remain in command, aides say, do not understand the modern presidency or Bush's own work habits. At the ranch, White House officials say, Bush continues to receive daily national security briefings, sign documents, hold teleconferences with aides and military commanders, and even meet with foreign leaders. And from the president's point of view, the long Texas stints are the best way to clear his mind and reconnect with everyday America.

"I'm looking forward to getting down there and just kind of settling in," Bush told reporters from Texas newspapers during a roundtable interview at the White House on Monday. "I'll be doing a lot of work. On the other hand, I'll also be kind of making sure my Texas roots run deep."

"Spending time outside of Washington always gives the president a fresh perspective of what's on the minds of the American people," White House press secretary Scott McClellan told reporters Friday. "It's a time, really, for him to shed the coat and tie and meet with folks out in the heartland and hear what's on their minds."

Just as Bush has made these August trips a regular feature of his presidency, so, too, have Democrats made a tradition of needling him about them. This year, opposition politicians are tying his departure from Washington to the CIA leak case that has swept up his top adviser, Karl Rove.

"The White House stonewalling operation is moving to Crawford for the dog days of summer, but they can't hide from the legitimate questions dogging the president and his refusal to keep his promise and fire Karl Rove," said Josh Earnest, a spokesman for the Democratic National Committee.

Presidents have often sought refuge from the pressures of Washington and from life in the White House, which Harry S. Truman called the crown jewel of the American prison system. Richard M. Nixon favored Key Biscayne, Fla. Bush's father preferred Maine. Bill Clinton, lacking a home of his own, borrowed a house on Martha's Vineyard, except for two years when political adviser Dick Morris nudged him into going to Jackson, Wyo., before his reelection because it polled better.

Until now, probably no modern president was a more famous vacationer than Ronald Reagan, who loved spending time at his ranch in Santa Barbara, Calif. According to an Associated Press count, Reagan spent all or part of 335 days in Santa Barbara over his eight-year presidency -- a total that Bush will surpass this month in Crawford with 3 1/2 years left in his second term.

"The Oval Office is wherever the president of the United States is," said Kenneth M. Duberstein, who was Reagan's last White House chief of staff. "With the communications being what they are, the president can communicate instantly with whomever he wants anywhere in the world."

Bush will not return to the White House until after Labor Day, but his staff has peppered his schedule with events to dispel any impression that he is not on duty. He will visit at least seven states, mostly with quick day trips, including New Mexico, where he plans to sign energy legislation into law. He gets off to a quick start this week, with a speech Wednesday in nearby Grapevine, Tex., then he plays host to President Alvaro Uribe of Colombia at the ranch Thursday. His schedule is clear Friday through Sunday.

At some point, Bush told reporters Monday, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld will visit for consultations. "I have a busy couple of weeks down there," Bush said.

But he will make time for fun, or at least his idea of it. Bush rarely takes the type of vacation one would consider exotic -- or, to some, even appealing. His notion of relaxation is chopping cedar on his ranch or mountain biking through rough terrain, all in 100-degree-plus temperatures in dusty Texas where crickets are known to roast on the summer pavement. He seems to relish the idea of exposing aides and reporters to the hothouse environment.
"I just checked in with the house -- it's about 100 degrees," he told reporters Monday. "But no matter how hot it gets, I enjoy spending time in Texas."

Baker reported from Washington.

© 2005 The Washington Post Company

"Spending time outside of Washington always gives the president a fresh perspective of what's on the minds of the American people," White House press secretary Scott McClellan told reporters Friday. "It's a time, really, for him to shed the coat and tie and meet with folks out in the heartland and hear what's on their minds."

Yes, he is really out and about with the masses. The masses are locked out and have no chance to talk to him. He is morte isolated at the ranch than he is in Washington. It might just be me, but when the country is not doing well, I just feel a whole lot better knowing that the man in charge is in the Oval Office a few steps away from Congress, who are in this with him.

atlfan25
09-01-2005, 02:18 PM
where are my facts on every president, i need to compare, james polk, thomas jefferson

cmon son

i need time cards as well, and video

jcrod
09-01-2005, 05:13 PM

:lmao first time i read this thread, freaking classic.

Marcus Bryant
09-01-2005, 05:18 PM

That's great considering that I'm going to the Texans-Steelers game in a few weeks.

Cant_Be_Faded
09-01-2005, 06:11 PM
sporting your front tuck/over sized belt buckle and carrying a piece of paper with the current spurs roster and all possible free agents as well as contract info