PDA

View Full Version : Spurs: Is Manu a top 10 SG of all time?

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
12-19-2014, 05:58 PM
My friend from San Antonio made that claim to me, and at first I thought it was a bit ridiculous. But now that I think about it... can you guys name more than 10 SG's better than Manu?

1 - MJ
2 - Kobe
3 - Wade
4 - AI
5 - Drexler
6 - Reggie Miller

I consider him better than Dumars, Thompson, Maraovich, I guess Ray Allen could be put ahead of him
????

Kool Bob Love
12-19-2014, 06:03 PM
Manu is top 5. Dead or alive. 100% SRS.

Samuel Eto'o
12-19-2014, 06:12 PM
No

100%duncan
12-19-2014, 06:12 PM
Is he better than Iman Shumpert?

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
12-19-2014, 06:15 PM
Is he better than Iman Shumpert?

Stop fucking posting without my permission bitch

Koolaid_Man
12-19-2014, 06:19 PM
My friend from San Antonio made that claim to me, and at first I thought it was a bit ridiculous. But now that I think about it... can you guys name more than 10 SG's better than Manu?

1 - MJ
2 - Kobe
3 - Wade
4 - AI
5 - Drexler
6 - Reggie Miller

I consider him better than Dumars, Thompson, Maraovich, I guess Ray Allen could be put ahead of him
????

you're outta your fruit pickin mind if you think manu is better than Dumars.....someone please lock this stupid ass thread....manu is a pussy....couldn't have lasted 2 mins in Dumars world of the 80's...

Silver&Black
12-19-2014, 06:27 PM
Quit lying to these good people OP.

We all know you don't have any friends....

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
12-19-2014, 06:32 PM
Quit lying to these good people OP.

We all know you don't have any friends....

I can understand why a lot of people don't like me. I went onto the NFL forum last year and shit on everyone's prediction about Cam as he proceeded to beat every one of their teams last year. One thing I do not understand, is where you fit in to this equation. How about you stop following the band wagon and have a mind of your own.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
12-19-2014, 06:32 PM
you're outta your fruit pickin mind if you think manu is better than Dumars.....someone please lock this stupid ass thread....manu is a pussy....couldn't have lasted 2 mins in Dumars world of the 80's...

I'll give you Dumars. But name me 9 others better than him. Keep in mind your hero said he was the best SG he ever played against (besides Jordan)

Koolaid_Man
12-19-2014, 06:35 PM
I'll give you Dumars. But name me 9 others better than him. Keep in mind your hero said he was the best SG he ever played against (besides Jordan)

Kobe never played Dumars....that's all I'm talking about....

Silver&Black
12-19-2014, 06:36 PM
I can understand why a lot of people don't like me. I went onto the NFL forum last year and shit on everyone's prediction about Cam as he proceeded to beat every one of their teams last year. One thing I do not understand, is where you fit in to this equation. How about you stop following the band wagon and have a mind of your own.

Cam shitted on everyone's team here last year? These were regular season games right....

Koolaid_Man
12-19-2014, 06:36 PM
Dumars routinely locked MJ up....and he doesn't get the proper credit for doing so....I'm sure he was MJ's toughest defensive opponent....Joe D...wasn't no fucking joke on both sides of the ball

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
12-19-2014, 06:37 PM
Cam shitted on everyone's team here last year? These were regular season games right....

Yes. They said he would never win anything. Won the division. Now they say he won't win a single playoff game. Setting the bar pretty low IMO. Which brings me back to my original acqusation.

LkrFan
12-19-2014, 06:49 PM
Hell no.

1 - MJ
2 - Kobe
3 - Jerry West
4 - Joe D
5 - AI
6 - Reggie
7 - Drexler
8 - Ray Allen
9 - Pistol Pete
10 - Mitch Richmond

All ^ SGs are better than Manure

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
12-19-2014, 06:50 PM
Hell no.

1 - MJ
2 - Kobe
3 - Jerry West
4 - Joe D
5 - AI
6 - Reggie
7 - Drexler
8 - Ray Allen
9 - Pistol Pete
10 - Mitch Richmond

Mitch Richmond was amazing in his prime. TMC was great. But come on man over the span of his career? Not a chance. He would never be able to lead a team like Argentina over USA. Period.

Spur-Addict
12-19-2014, 06:52 PM
LOL No he's not

LkrFan
12-19-2014, 06:53 PM
Mitch Richmond was amazing in his prime. TMC was great. But come on man over the span of his career? Not a chance. He would never be able to lead a team like Argentina over USA. Period.

Mitch Richmond on the Spurs in his prime would have beasted.

BTW, who did Manure beat for Gold? :downspin:

Buddy Mignon
12-19-2014, 06:55 PM

1 - MJ
2 - Kobe
3 - Wade
4 - AI
5 - Drexler
6 - Reggie Miller

????

I don't have Drexler or Miller better than Manu, but I do have Richmond, Gervin, Logo, and Tmac better than him. You are crazy if you think Manu is better than Pistol or Dumars.

baseline bum
12-19-2014, 07:00 PM
Michael Jordan
Kobe Bryant
Dwyane Wade
George Gervin
Clyde Drexler
Tracy McGrady
Paul Pierce
Earl Monroe
Allen Iverson
Ray Allen
Vince Carter

That's 11 two guards I'd take over Ginobili, so no, he's not top 10 all-time.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
12-19-2014, 07:01 PM
Michael Jordan
Kobe Bryant
Dwyane Wade
George Gervin
Clyde Drexler
Tracy McGrady
Paul Pierce
Earl Monroe
Allen Iverson
Ray Allen
Vince Carter

That's 11 two guards I'd take over Ginobili, so no, he's not top 10 all-time.

The bold are what I considered SF's.

baseline bum
12-19-2014, 07:04 PM
The bold are what I considered SF's.

Bullshit, they all played two guard most of their careers.

BatManu20
12-19-2014, 07:05 PM
#11 all time imho.

As far as entertainment value goes, he's top 4 imo.

baseline bum
12-19-2014, 07:06 PM
I would take Ginobili over Havlicek, Maravich, Dumars, and Richmond in a second. I'd probably take Reggie Miller over Manu though, so that puts Manu at 13th alltime on my list. West was mostly a point guard from video I have seen, so I'm not considering him.

Silver&Black
12-19-2014, 07:09 PM
Yes. They said he would never win anything. Won the division. Now they say he won't win a single playoff game. Setting the bar pretty low IMO. Which brings me back to my original acqusation.

How bout we move this conversation over to the NFL Forum....

ElNono
12-19-2014, 07:11 PM
He's probably not top 10 and there's nothing wrong with that, tbh. He's not a guy that ever had otherwordly athleticism, or is a pure shooter, or has mad handles like AI did, and the SG position, historically, has been pretty stacked.

He is probably top 20 though, and that's a testament on how good he's really been, despite not having the attributes listed above.

hyhy
12-20-2014, 12:31 AM
1.MJ
2.Manu

Well I am a spurs fan :flag:

testies
12-20-2014, 01:15 AM
he's #3 clearly

Wade? :lol Oh, hes black and american, so hes better

THE DUDE BEAT TEAM USA BY HIMSELF 2 TIMES. HE HAS 4 RINGS HE WON ALL OF THEM PRACTICLALT BY HIMSELF

FKING TROLLS. IN HIS OWN TEAMS FORUM I HAVE TO READ SHIT LIKE THAT

Infinite_limit
12-20-2014, 01:24 AM
27 posts and No Hulk GIF?

midnightpulp
12-20-2014, 01:25 AM
No. I want him to be, but he's just too inconsistent.

Clipper Nation
12-20-2014, 01:27 AM
I can understand why a lot of people don't like me. I went onto the NFL forum last year and slurped on Cum Newton's dick 24/7, welched on bets and generally acted like a retarded faggot homer.
fify

Clipper Nation
12-20-2014, 01:28 AM
Now they say he won't win a single playoff game. Setting the bar pretty low IMO.

Which is why it's so embarrassing that he can't clear it :lol

FkLA
12-20-2014, 01:34 AM
Prime Manu is easily Top 10.

D-Wade
12-20-2014, 03:26 AM
Prime Manu is easily Top 10.

Agreed. He's in the mix. Not top 5 but def top 10.

And glad to hear Mitch Richmond's name in the convo. Loved that dude's game

Infinite_limit
12-20-2014, 03:31 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEYVtU--QVo

Splits
12-20-2014, 03:37 AM
Any player who cost you two rings all by himself can not be considered top 10 of anything outside of saboteur. 06 and 13 Manu is the only reason Duncan isn't sitting on 8

BatManu20
12-20-2014, 03:43 AM

Prime Manu was so nasty.

ElNono
12-20-2014, 04:13 AM
Top 3 regular season games from him, IMO... there's more, but I thought these were really up there...

y8zhDrzorXs

8uoGnzDLDAU

9Y7lMkMbImQ

Silver&Black
12-20-2014, 04:25 AM
Any player who cost you two rings all by himself can not be considered top 10 of anything outside of saboteur. 06 and 13 Manu is the only reason Duncan isn't sitting on 8

Do we win the 05 Pistons series without him???

ElNono
12-20-2014, 04:29 AM
Peeps have shitty memory... we're not even in a position to win that game in 2006 if Gino doesn't nail a huge 3 the previous possession... not to mention, we still had an opportunity to win it in regulation and overtime after that foul...

He was definitely ass in the '13 Finals.... but if Pop doesn't sit Duncan or fouls up 3, we're not having this convo, tbh...

the thing with those is that he always redeemed himself the next season anyways... wish Enrique had the same track record, tbh

testies
12-20-2014, 06:46 AM
Splits should be banned for such a horrible post

Thread
12-20-2014, 06:48 AM

Please. Amy had a hand in on 5.

TDMVPDPOY
12-20-2014, 09:01 AM
if his top10sg, they he should be on the top10 choke artists lists...

DAF86
12-20-2014, 01:48 PM
Manu > Iverson easily

Koolaid_Man
12-20-2014, 01:57 PM
Rd
Manu > Iverson easily

Man i done heard it all with this bullshit.....gotdayum...the day Manu can lead a team like AI did then holla at me....Manu was a great system player...he's nowhere near AI's teams leading ability...AI dropped 50 on a prime Shaq and Kobe and won game 1of the finals....no way Manu could ever do that...but Manu was a nice system player..Tammy needed him for sure...

FkLA
12-20-2014, 01:59 PM

Nasty. I always thought he was the best finisher in the league during his prime. Not in a I'm gonna posterize you way but his long ass strides and craftiness around the rim made him pretty unstoppable tbh.

Buddy Mignon
12-20-2014, 02:05 PM
This is the sad state of sports talk. You got nerds comparing good role players vs great players.

DAF86
12-20-2014, 02:09 PM
Rd

Man i done heard it all with this bullshit.....gotdayum...the day Manu can lead a team like AI did then holla at me....Manu was a great system player...he's nowhere near AI's teams leading ability...AI dropped 50 on a prime Shaq and Kobe and won game 1of the finals....no way Manu could ever do that...but Manu was a nice system player..Tammy needed him for sure...

Manu has led plenty of teams and to actual silverware not to some moral victories like "winning game 1 of the finals", tbh. I love me some AI but dude couldn't even lead shit in China or whetever the fuck it was that he went to play.

oh crap
12-20-2014, 02:12 PM
I could give a fuck about Manu but it's funny seeing Spur fan take a huge shit on him when he's in decline. Such short memory spans.

hater
12-20-2014, 02:17 PM
Manu > Iverson easily

:lmao wow just wow

DAF86
12-20-2014, 02:18 PM
:lmao wow just wow

Eeeeasily.

hater
12-20-2014, 02:18 PM
Manu was awesome I'd say top 20 SG in history for 15 MINUTES. Then he dropped back to top 50 for a couple years and now is at top 10000

DAF86
12-20-2014, 02:27 PM
Who should I take: a 6'6'' two-way SG that can hit the three, get to the rim, rebound and is one of the best passing shooting guards of all-time or a 5'11'' guy with below average defense that is known for being selfish and missing practices? Mmmh, such a tough choice.

dirk4mvp
12-20-2014, 02:36 PM
:lmao manu

LkrFan
12-20-2014, 02:39 PM
Manure > Iverson easily

BAAAAHAHAHAHAHA! :rollin :lmao :rollin

Koolaid_Man
12-20-2014, 02:44 PM
Manu has led plenty of teams and to actual silverware not to some moral victories like "winning game 1 of the finals", tbh. I love me some AI but dude couldn't even lead shit in China or whetever the fuck it was that he went to play.

:lol how you gonna sit up here and blame AI and act like Tammy Tits wasn't on that team.....in fact Tammy Tits was so embarrassed he literally quit on his country and vowed never to be back...because he couldn't do well out of his system....:lol fucking Spurs fan strikes again

Koolaid_Man
12-20-2014, 02:49 PM
there's no fucking way imma let this retarded ass Spur fans shit on AI just because he's done....he was the truth real talk....and Manu couldn't hold his dick on his worst day :lol

79WSHpMU894

Arcadian
12-20-2014, 03:06 PM
Jordan
Bryant
West
Iverson
Gervin
Wade
Drexler
Maravich
Allen
Miller

No.

DAF86
12-20-2014, 03:13 PM
Can somebody please tell me what does Iverson have over Manu besides speed and the fact that he was born in America therefore being able to go to college and be hyped before getting to the NBA so that he could chuck 30 shots per game? Thanks.

Koolaid_Man
12-20-2014, 03:18 PM
Can somebody please tell me what does Iverson have over Manu besides speed and the fact that he was born in America therefore being able to go to college and be hyped before getting to the NBA so that he could chuck 30 shots per game? Thanks.

AI was an unstoppable force who consistently led the shittiest teams in all of basketball....his PG couldn't shoot for shit, is SF was inept....and his fucking center was great defensively but couldn't put the ball in the hole to save his life....AI led teams Manu never has....Manu could not withstand the double and triple teams that AI routinely got....AI is one of the All-time greats Manu is not....it's a no brainer dude....get the fuck outta with that shit....

Koolaid_Man
12-20-2014, 03:25 PM
drop a Prime Manu on those Sixers teams and remove AI and they go fucking nowhere.....that's not hyperbole it's the truth...it takes a certain mindset to led teams and Manu could never do mentally or physically what AI did...that's just a flat out fact....not taking anything away from Manu

DAF86
12-20-2014, 03:35 PM
AI was an unstoppable force who consistently led the shittiest teams in all of basketball....his PG couldn't shoot for shit, is SF was inept....and his fucking center was great defensively but couldn't put the ball in the hole to save his life....AI led teams Manu never has....Manu could not withstand the double and triple teams that AI routinely got....AI is one of the All-time greats Manu is not....it's a no brainer dude....get the fuck outta with that shit....

You don't have to tell me about those Sixers teams, I'm a fucking Iverson fan I can probably name you 90% of AI's teammates from his entire career, on those Sixers teams alone: Eric Snow, Kevin Olie, Aaron McKie, George Lynch, Tyrone Hill, Theo Ratliff, Dikembe Mutombo, Brain Skinner, Larry Huges, etc.

Iverson had a team that suited his style, he was surounded by a bunch of great defensive players that didn't need touches on offense so that Iverson could chuck as much as he wanted. A lot of folks name that '01 Sixers team to prove that AI carried a bunch of offensive challenged players to the NBA finals but ignore the fact that when he got offensive help he didn't do shit (those mid '00 teams with Korver, Igoudala, Webber and Dalembert or when when he went to Denver).

DAF86
12-20-2014, 03:38 PM
drop a Prime Manu on those Sixers teams and remove AI and they go fucking nowhere.....that's not hyperbole it's the truth...it takes a certain mindset to led teams and Manu could never do mentally or physically what AI did...that's just a flat out fact....not taking anything away from Manu

Drop prime AI on the Argie NT on '04 and remove Manu and they don't make history.

DAF86
12-20-2014, 03:39 PM
Heck swap AI for Manu on Kinder Bologna and they probably don't win shit either. Iverson just doesn't play winning basketball.

Koolaid_Man
12-20-2014, 03:42 PM
Drop prime AI on the Argie NT on '04 and remove Manu and they don't make history.

:lol hey dipshit we're talking NBA...no one gives a fuck about Manu's international games....:lol AI was past his prime once he got to Denver...horrible example....and Coach Karl has always been a loser....dont blame that shit on AI....Denver was losing mad games long before he got there....Melo and AI were both just bad fits for their style of play....MJ and Pippen worked because Pip loved defense....and covered for MJ on defense making him look good....you don't know basketball kid...go back and watch your VHS tapes again :lol

FkLA
12-20-2014, 03:45 PM
Manu's stats were held down in SA in the same way Harden's were held down in OKC. Only difference is that, luckily for us, he stayed. Prime Manu was a better, smarter and more competitive version of current day Harden tbh.

DAF86
12-20-2014, 03:57 PM
:lol hey dipshit we're talking NBA...no one gives a fuck about Manu's international games....:lol AI was past his prime once he got to Denver...horrible example....and Coach Karl has always been a loser....dont blame that shit on AI....Denver was losing mad games long before he got there....Melo and AI were both just bad fits for their style of play....MJ and Pippen worked because Pip loved defense....and covered for MJ on defense making him look good....you don't know basketball kid...go back and watch your VHS tapes again :lol

Unlike AI who has always been a winner right? :lol

Melo wasn't a good fit, Webber wasn't a good fit, Stackhouse wasn't a good fit, the entire US National Team wasn't a good fit. It seems to me like everytime AI played with someone that needed touches on offense the fit wasn't good.

HemisfairArena
12-20-2014, 06:23 PM
Dumars was a badass,,,that whole team's backcourt was. Vinny the Microwave,,,,Thomas,,,,Dumars but Manu is in the top 10 SG' s of All Time. Dude will be in the HOF.

Koolaid_Man
12-20-2014, 09:08 PM
Unlike AI who has always been a winner right? :lol

Melo wasn't a good fit, Webber wasn't a good fit, Stackhouse wasn't a good fit, the entire US National Team wasn't a good fit. It seems to me like everytime AI played with someone that needed touches on offense the fit wasn't good.

I'm at a private party rat now. ...5 girls and me and another guy...it's bout to go down. ..they're all laughing at me right now. ...but I'm gonna respond to this drivel....

AI is a winner. ...his experiences with various teammates is no different than Tammy's experience in the Olympics with All star teammates....Tammy failed to lead when playing with those guys....

AI was a victim of unstructured coaching....Larry Brown was good but he had poor ownership in Philly. .remember the owners brother stealing money from AI's locker during games. ...Tammy and Kobe had great coaches. ...Tammy's only had one coach his entire career whereas Kobe has had about 10..AI has never been part of a good system with good owners and a great coach. ...all he needed was discipline. ...that being said he was light yrs ahead of Manu.....Manu just doesn't posses the raw talent and mental toughness to lead a team like AI....Manu can be broken....he's a softie. ...

Stop Playing Games Dude

DAF86
12-22-2014, 01:08 PM
I'm at a private party rat now. ...5 girls and me and another guy...it's bout to go down. ..they're all laughing at me right now. ...but I'm gonna respond to this drivel....

AI is a winner. ...his experiences with various teammates is no different than Tammy's experience in the Olympics with All star teammates....Tammy failed to lead when playing with those guys....

AI was a victim of unstructured coaching....Larry Brown was good but he had poor ownership in Philly. .remember the owners brother stealing money from AI's locker during games. ...Tammy and Kobe had great coaches. ...Tammy's only had one coach his entire career whereas Kobe has had about 10..AI has never been part of a good system with good owners and a great coach. ...all he needed was discipline. ...that being said he was light yrs ahead of Manu.....Manu just doesn't posses the raw talent and mental toughness to lead a team like AI....Manu can be broken....he's a softie. ...

Stop Playing Games Dude

:lol Yeah, Manu wishes he could have led his teams to the heights that AI managed to led his :lmao

Jenks
12-22-2014, 02:33 PM
Potential/skill wise yes, team accomplishment wise yes, individual accomplishment wise no.

Prime Iverson > Kobe, their stats in the 01 finals are almost a mirror of 95 Hakeem vs Robinson. If you disagree then you have to at least put Robinson equal with Hakeem, or you're a hypocrite douche.

endrity
12-22-2014, 06:22 PM
I am not going to say that Manu is outright better than Iverson but there is a debate to be had there.

I would have thought that the advanced stats revolution as well as the success of cohesive teams like the '11 Mavs and '14 Spurs would have convinced a lot of people by now that winning basketball is not what we once used to think - a.k.a Jordan hero-ball from the 90s, unless of course you do have prime Jordan or LeBron on your team alongside Pippen/Wade.

The type of basketball that AI played throughout his career is almost universally rejected by coaches and GMs around the league now. So while one can argue that AI might have had a few more skills as a player (though Manu is much more complete), his ability to put those skills at the team's disposal was not always there.

But I shouldn't be surprised that it is a Lakers fan that is defending AI so strongly. Kobe's last few years aren't so different after all.

Shane27
12-22-2014, 08:03 PM
what do you think would have happened if AI was on the spurs instead of Manu? I don't think they win that many championships if any. Part of the reason why kobe and iverson had so many coaches is because both of them are terrible to work with. Even with a great coach it wouldn't have even mattered because AI doesn't practice.

Thread
12-22-2014, 09:24 PM
^Just thank Christ Daddy had Kobe up in Portland in '00. Otherwise, I'm short 3 back-to-backs & a triple.

TDMVPDPOY
12-22-2014, 10:20 PM
lol turnoboli last possession plays to end quarters....

that step back bullshit doesnt work no more...fck this turnover machine, making kirby look like an amateur

davethedope
12-23-2014, 05:56 AM
I am not going to say that Manu is outright better than Iverson but there is a debate to be had there.

I would have thought that the advanced stats revolution as well as the success of cohesive teams like the '11 Mavs and '14 Spurs would have convinced a lot of people by now that winning basketball is not what we once used to think - a.k.a Jordan hero-ball from the 90s, unless of course you do have prime Jordan or LeBron on your team alongside Pippen/Wade.

The type of basketball that AI played throughout his career is almost universally rejected by coaches and GMs around the league now. So while one can argue that AI might have had a few more skills as a player (though Manu is much more complete), his ability to put those skills at the team's disposal was not always there.

But I shouldn't be surprised that it is a Lakers fan that is defending AI so strongly. Kobe's last few years aren't so different after all.

Jordan/Pippen = LeBron/Wade... that's funny

Anyway my :2cents: manu is somewhere in the top 15 without a doubt.

"Franchise player"... I dunno.

The idea of the franchise player leading any team by force of will is a myth perpetuated by sportswriters, because it never happens, and probably never has if you think about it.

In any event you cant fault him for being a system player.