PDA

View Full Version : Do we want to win?

KaiRMD1
12-20-2014, 10:55 PM
That's all I want to know, do the ol' sports want to win?

spurtech09
12-20-2014, 11:00 PM
dude im even surprised that this game was even close dude....in case you didn't notice Duncan,manu,park,KL,splitter,danny green,and patty mills weren't playing.......

midnightpulp
12-20-2014, 11:02 PM
No.

"Rest" is more important than winning games.

Mugen
12-20-2014, 11:05 PM
No.

"Rest" is more important than winning games.

Pretty much. Enjoy the holidays, mid.

Malik Hairston
12-20-2014, 11:06 PM
Seems like Pop is content with getting a lower seed, which I don't mind, tbh..best-case is the Spurs get the 7th seed and get Memphis, would be an easy series..

Wouldn't be surprised if joining the '95 Rockets and adding that to his resume is on his goals list, considering his ego:lol..

spurtech09
12-20-2014, 11:09 PM
Seems like Pop is content with getting a lower seed, which I don't mind, tbh..best-case is the Spurs get the 7th seed and get Memphis, would be an easy series..

Wouldn't be surprised if joining the '95 Rockets and adding that to his resume is on his goals list, considering his ego:lol..agree....grizz are playing good ball but there not even close to being a threat for the spurs

midnightpulp
12-20-2014, 11:11 PM

Wouldn't be surprised if joining the '95 Rockets and adding that to his resume is on his goals list, considering his ego:lol..

Nah, I just think this old "rest everyone on a back-to-back no matter what!" habit of his is dying hard this year.

I can understand sidelining Duncan and the Mexican, but Green could've played 30 minutes tonight. Portland had zero problems looking sharp. The "exhaustion" following back-to-backs is overblown, and not backed up with any kind of convincing empirical data that proves teams play much worse in that scenario.

Malik Hairston
12-20-2014, 11:17 PM
I don't think he's over-resting players, though..

Duncan is playing more minutes than anybody would have predicted, this season, and Ginobili hasn't taken much time off, either..

Green sat tonight for obvious reasons..they were going to lose the game anyways, so no point of playing your better players in a potential playoff matchup IMO..

Can't really discern between strategy and circumstances, this season..the Spurs have been hit with a ton of injuries that have changed the entire resting strategy..Pop knew Mills was hurt, but he didn't plan for anything else..none of us expected Kawhi to suffer from these random ailments, Splitter to get hurt and miss a bunch of time(well, maybe this one was expected), and Parker going through ribs/hamstring/etc problems..

midnightpulp
12-20-2014, 11:25 PM
I don't think he's over-resting players, though..

Duncan is playing more minutes than anybody would have predicted, this season, and Ginobili hasn't taken much time off, either..

Green sat tonight for obvious reasons..they were going to lose the game anyways, so no point of playing your better players in a potential playoff matchup IMO..

Can't really discern between strategy and circumstances, this season..the Spurs have been hit with a ton of injuries that have changed the entire resting strategy..Pop knew Mills was hurt, but he didn't plan for anything else..none of us expected Kawhi to suffer from these random ailments, Splitter to get hurt and miss a bunch of time(well, maybe this one was expected), and Parker going through ribs/hamstring/etc problems..

Why not have Green in the lineup as a contingency plan?

If the Spurs are down big at halftime, then rest him. If the game looks winnable, then bring him in, because we know it was only a matter of time before Ellis was going off on Beli, Joseph, whoever.

Malik Hairston
12-20-2014, 11:27 PM
You could make that argument for tonight, maybe, but I don't think it applies for the rest of the season..

And you know I don't defend Pop blindly, too, I criticize him all the time..I just think it's difficult to stick to the script and concoct a proper strategy when the team has a ton of injuries to rotation players..

midnightpulp
12-20-2014, 11:34 PM
You could make that argument for tonight, maybe, but I don't think it applies for the rest of the season..

And you know I don't defend Pop blindly, too, I criticize him all the time..I just think it's difficult to stick to the script and concoct a proper strategy when the team has a ton of injuries to rotation players..

I know you don't.

It's just that given Pop's reputation for over-caution, I'm skeptical at the stated severity of these injuries (Mills aside, obviously).

Harry Callahan
12-20-2014, 11:35 PM
Pop has not been able to count on much these last couple of weeks.

January can't get here soon enough.

Mikeanaro
12-21-2014, 01:10 AM
The way of the future, The way of the future, The way of the future, The way of the future,The way of the future, The way of the future, The way of the future, The way of the future, The way of the future, The way of the future, The way of the future, The way of the future, The way of the future.
http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lwoogxkRrr1qz5fgwo1_r4_500.gif

Ice009
12-21-2014, 07:05 AM

That's why I wanted to reload in the 2007 off-season and why I wanted to upgrade the end of the bench this off-season. The Spurs have got nothing to fall back on.

I really wanted them to go after a backup for Kawhi, but again, the Spurs did jack shit.

I can't believe it's biting them in the ass again. They never fucking learn. Other teams upgrade so they can dethrone the champs. Pop doesn't seem to understand this. Unless you have Michael Jordan and can psych teams out into losing the game before it even starts, upgrading the roster is a good thing. You don't need to keep useless players like Daye and Ayres around.

TampaDude
12-21-2014, 07:17 AM
dude im even surprised that this game was even close dude....in case you didn't notice Duncan,manu,park,KL,splitter,danny green,and patty mills weren't playing.......

Yeah, really...I checked the score during the game, and saw that we were actually winning, and I was like, WTF??? :lol

Mr Bones
12-21-2014, 01:01 PM
That's why I wanted to reload in the 2007 off-season and why I wanted to upgrade the end of the bench this off-season. The Spurs have got nothing to fall back on.

I really wanted them to go after a backup for Kawhi, but again, the Spurs did jack shit.

I can't believe it's biting them in the ass again. They never fucking learn. Other teams upgrade so they can dethrone the champs. Pop doesn't seem to understand this. Unless you have Michael Jordan and can psych teams out into losing the game before it even starts, upgrading the roster is a good thing. You don't need to keep useless players like Daye and Ayres around.

The Spurs pursued Josh McRoberts in the off season, but he decided to go to Miami. He would've meshed perfectly with this team. I have to disagree with the idea that the Spurs didn't do anything in the off season. Keeping Patty Mills was huge, and they did it at a very good price. Many other teams wanted him, and he could've left for more money. Diaw resigned... obviously that will be important come playoff time. They looked at other options, but none worked out. But most experts felt like this: http://www.businessinsider.com/spurs-resigned-entire-team-2014-7. If the Spurs had landed a back up SF, but not resigned Mills, people would be saying RC Buford screwed up... You can't just magically get every player you want. You're competing against 29 other teams, and many of them are willing to overpay players in an effort to get where the Spurs are EVERY year-- in the playoffs.

exstatic
12-21-2014, 01:31 PM
Nah, I just think this old "rest everyone on a back-to-back no matter what!" habit of his is dying hard this year.

I can understand sidelining Duncan and the Mexican, but Green could've played 30 minutes tonight. Portland had zero problems looking sharp. The "exhaustion" following back-to-backs is overblown, and not backed up with any kind of convincing empirical data that proves teams play much worse in that scenario.

:lol. Danny played 95 minutes in the previous two games. That's one minute short of going 48 in B2B games. I don't care if he's in his 20s. He needed the night off.

Ibleedslvrnblk
12-21-2014, 04:51 PM
Regular season champs mean nothing....been there done that.

itzsoweezee
12-21-2014, 04:57 PM
:lol. Danny played 95 minutes in the previous two games. That's one minute short of going 48 in B2B games. I don't care if he's in his 20s. He needed the night off.

Exactly. I don't know how anyone can claim Popovich is overresting players this year. If anything, injuries are forcing him to overplay players.

Solid D
12-21-2014, 05:02 PM
It's a journey. No season is the same as the previous seasons.

dbreiden83080
12-21-2014, 06:34 PM
It's called injuries..

They happen..

TD 21
12-21-2014, 07:14 PM

So? On no other team would he have sat. They literally played with two guards and three and a half perimeter players last night, so that a 27 year old, who when they get healthy, will play roughly half a game, could get a game off because he was tired?

Like midnightpulp said, he could have been utilized as a contingency plan. Him playing 15-20 minutes could have made the difference and if he has to have a game off at some point, he can have one off when the other three primary wings are all playing.

If he was going to get the game off, why not Diaw? He's older, with more mileage, plays year round regularly, plays more minutes when they're fully healthy and will play more in the playoffs too. Yet not only does he never get a game off, he get's run into the ground on the second night of back-to-backs.

I know you don't.

It's just that given Pop's reputation for over-caution, I'm skeptical at the stated severity of these injuries (Mills aside, obviously).

Agreed. He's overdone it this season. Duncan and Ginobili don't need every back half of a back to back off and if/when this team ever get's healthy, they can get them then. I agree with giving them one off when it's a hectic stretch, like this past week, but they've handed away so many games so far that the biggest thing they needed to do and should have been able to do (keep the Thunder below them) is now in serious danger.

FireMicoHalili
12-21-2014, 07:32 PM
Pop did say this string of losses would do the team some good in the long run. He's right. Either it lights a fire under their butts or it nets them a better draft position.

exstatic
12-21-2014, 07:52 PM
So? On no other team would he have sat. They literally played with two guards and three and a half perimeter players last night, so that a 27 year old, who when they get healthy, will play roughly half a game, could get a game off because he was tired?

Like midnightpulp said, he could have been utilized as a contingency plan. Him playing 15-20 minutes could have made the difference and if he has to have a game off at some point, he can have one off when the other three primary wings are all playing.

If he was going to get the game off, why not Diaw? He's older, with more mileage, plays year round regularly, plays more minutes when they're fully healthy and will play more in the playoffs too. Yet not only does he never get a game off, he get's run into the ground on the second night of back-to-backs.

Diaw played 57 minutes the previous two games. Danny played 95. If you can't figure out which one needed the night off, I can't help you. It seems painfully clear to me.

TD 21
12-21-2014, 07:57 PM
Diaw played 57 minutes the previous two games. Danny played 95. If you can't figure out which one needed the night off, I can't help you. It seems painfully clear to me.

I don't care about the previous two games; I'm talking in general.

The notion that Green needed the night off illustrates just how brainwashed so much of this fan base is by Pop.

exstatic
12-21-2014, 08:09 PM
I don't care about the previous two games; I'm talking in general.

The notion that Green needed the night off illustrates just how brainwashed so much of this fan base is by Pop.

Actually, it's the five trophies.

TD 21
12-21-2014, 08:18 PM
Actually, it's the five trophies.

Only an idiot would think that would mean someone can do nothing foolish or wrong.

Ice009
12-21-2014, 08:29 PM

Wilt Chamberlain played 48 minutes of every game for a whole season. What's your point? Players have gotten soft these days. Young players should not have to be rested for playing two 48 minute games in a row. They weren't even back to back. There was a day off between games. Surely Danny could have played 24 minutes in the second half for the Spurs against Dallas when all the guys that did play were gassed.

Portland went into New Orleans on a true back to back after that triple OT game and thrashed the Pelicans.

Ice009
12-21-2014, 08:32 PM
Exactly. I don't know how anyone can claim Popovich is overresting players this year. If anything, injuries are forcing him to overplay players.

Injuries are piling up IMO because he started resting healthy players early in the season when no one was injured. Now, the healthy players are getting worn out because of it.

Pop has really mismanaged the rest to start the season.

exstatic
12-21-2014, 09:29 PM
Only an idiot would think that would mean someone can do nothing foolish or wrong.

I don't think it means he can't do anything foolish or wrong. He wouldn't be a human being in that case. I think what it does mean is that he knows a fuck of a lot more about running a basketball team than some internet idiot like you.

Holden_Caulfield
12-21-2014, 09:31 PM
coasting

TD 21
12-21-2014, 09:40 PM
I don't think it means he can't do anything foolish or wrong. He wouldn't be a human being in that case. I think what it does mean is that he knows a fuck of a lot more about running a basketball team than some internet idiot like you.

So in other words, you'll blindly support whatever he does because of his resume . . . and I'm the idiot?

exstatic
12-21-2014, 10:27 PM
So in other words, you'll blindly support whatever he does because of his resume . . . and I'm the idiot?

He's a coach and President of basketball operations for a franchise that has won 5 titles on his watch...so yes. I'll definitely give his opinions and actions, vis a vis the Spurs, far more weight than yours. You're just some arrogant pup who thinks he knows more about what Pop does than Pop knows.

Spursfanfromafar
12-21-2014, 10:31 PM
He's a coach and President of basketball operations for a franchise that has won 5 titles on his watch...so yes. I'll definitely give his opinions and actions, vis a vis the Spurs, far more weight than yours. You're just some arrogant pup who thinks he knows more about what Pop does than Pop knows.

The TD 21 character is a buffoon who jumps cliffs at the first opportunity and tries to come across as some kind of a savant. Idiot, actually.

mkurts
12-21-2014, 10:44 PM
Well logically if you play the full minutes, OT and only narrowly lose without injured starters, I would say yes.

However OP does not want to win and wants to emulate Kobe

101A
12-22-2014, 12:18 PM

Actually, someone did (kind of):

http://blogmaverick.com/2005/12/21/back-to-backs-in-the-nba/

FromWayDowntown
12-22-2014, 12:42 PM
The Spurs pursued Josh McRoberts in the off season, but he decided to go to Miami. He would've meshed perfectly with this team. I have to disagree with the idea that the Spurs didn't do anything in the off season. Keeping Patty Mills was huge, and they did it at a very good price. Many other teams wanted him, and he could've left for more money. Diaw resigned... obviously that will be important come playoff time. They looked at other options, but none worked out. But most experts felt like this: http://www.businessinsider.com/spurs-resigned-entire-team-2014-7. If the Spurs had landed a back up SF, but not resigned Mills, people would be saying RC Buford screwed up... You can't just magically get every player you want. You're competing against 29 other teams, and many of them are willing to overpay players in an effort to get where the Spurs are EVERY year-- in the playoffs.

They were also the runner-up in the Pau Gasol chase, among other efforts.

Not doing anything and not trying to do anything are two entirely different things, as Mr. Bones points out. Those who are hellbent on criticizing the FO when it swings and misses on players often just forget the chase or ignore the fact that players get to make choices, too.

FromWayDowntown
12-22-2014, 12:45 PM
Also, to the OPs point: I don't think you fight as hard as it takes to go 3OTs in consecutive games if you're not trying to win.

Just sayin.

look_at_g_shred
12-22-2014, 01:27 PM
na bruh we just won 5!! Anything else is just extra gravy.

ceperez
12-22-2014, 01:40 PM
Injuries are piling up IMO because he started resting healthy players early in the season when no one was injured. Now, the healthy players are getting worn out because of it.

Pop has really mismanaged the rest to start the season.

Injuries aren't piling up because he's resting players. Which player got injured because he got rest?????

bklynspursfan
12-22-2014, 01:44 PM
Who is really being rested? It's usually Duncan/Manu who get rested on B2B's. Splitter is being eased back into the rotation, and with his injuries, it's smart not to overplay. Green didn't play in Dallas, but this is coming off B2B 3OT games.... We've just had injuries... Better to get em' out the way now and get our momentum later. Parker/Mills/Splitter/Leonard ... Last year was similar when Green/Splitter/Leonard got hurt. Our defense was horrid at that time, we went 8-8 with Leonard out? Guys will get back and this team will be back on track. Duncan & Green have been playing great, Joseph is getting more confident, and even Anderson. It looks rough now but we've seen this story before. Just let em' get healthy. This is still the same team with wins in Memphis/Golden State/Cleveland/LAC. They know how to turn it on when their guys are healthy.

bklynspursfan
12-22-2014, 01:52 PM
Also, to the OPs point: I don't think you fight as hard as it takes to go 3OTs in consecutive games if you're not trying to win.

Just sayin.

Right.. They were trying. Pop is up and engaged during the games. They are trying. Sometimes that's how it goes though. Only having 1 PG doesn't help either. Especially when Manu is struggling late in games.

Cry Havoc
12-22-2014, 02:02 PM
When we roll into the playoffs as one of the 3 healthiest teams in the West while at least two of the other major contenders have catastrophic injuries, no one will care what our record is.

boutons_deux
12-22-2014, 02:11 PM
Injuries are piling up IMO because he started resting healthy players

:lol

TD 21
12-22-2014, 07:33 PM

I'll take that as a yes.

I never said anything of the sort and in the case of something like this, there is no right or wrong answer. It's a matter of opinion, you arrogant prick.