PDA

View Full Version : Avery Johnson hasn't heard from his family in N.O.

Kori Ellis
08-31-2005, 11:14 AM
:(

Silence from family concerns Johnson
By DWAIN PRICE
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

https://registration.dfw.com/reg/login.do?url=http://www.dfw.com%2Fmld%2Fdfw%2Fsports%2Fbasketball%2F12 522142.htm

DALLAS - Mavericks coach Avery Johnson has two sisters who live in New Orleans and hasn't heard from them since the Hurricane Katrina hit Monday.

"We don't have a grip on it," Johnson said Tuesday. "I'm just asking people, obviously, to pray."

Born and raised in New Orleans, Johnson didn't want to divulge his sisters' names because he doesn't want the focus to be on his family.

"It's not just about my family," Johnson said. "It's about all of the states -- Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi.

"It's really a tough situation right now, and we're just praying that the recovery can begin as soon as possible. We're just hoping and praying that everything will be OK."

Johnson's wife, Cassandra, is also from New Orleans. The two were married there in 1991.

Johnson said most of his family and his wife's family got out of New Orleans before Hurricane Katrina made landfall early Monday.

Some are staying at Johnson's home in The Woodlands, and Donnie Nelson, the Mavs' president of basketball operations, has helped, too.

"I've got family members [staying] all around Dallas," Johnson said. "Donnie Nelson has been helping me out with some housing. I've got people all up and down Interstate 10. Some are at my house, and some are in hotels."

Johnson fears the worst for his hometown.

"They won't be able to get back in there for a couple of weeks, and I think the worst is going to happen before it gets better," he said. "But when the time comes, I want people to just open up their hearts and open up their wallets as best they can just for the people that are devastated by this storm.

"The point is, this didn't hit Louisiana, Alabama and Mississippi. It hit America."

Marcus Bryant
08-31-2005, 11:17 AM
Damn. I'm still waiting to hear from some family down there as well. Hard to describe, to say the least.

sa_butta
08-31-2005, 11:17 AM
Our prayers are with his family as well as all those affected by this tragedy. I hope they were able to evacuate before it hit.

Horry For 3!
08-31-2005, 11:32 AM
:(

Silence from family concerns Johnson
By DWAIN PRICE
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

https://registration.dfw.com/reg/login.do?url=http://www.dfw.com%2Fmld%2Fdfw%2Fsports%2Fbasketball%2F12 522142.htm

DALLAS - Mavericks coach Avery Johnson has two sisters who live in New Orleans and hasn't heard from them since the Hurricane Katrina hit Monday.

"We don't have a grip on it," Johnson said Tuesday. "I'm just asking people, obviously, to pray."

Born and raised in New Orleans, Johnson didn't want to divulge his sisters' names because he doesn't want the focus to be on his family.

"It's not just about my family," Johnson said. "It's about all of the states -- Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi.

"It's really a tough situation right now, and we're just praying that the recovery can begin as soon as possible. We're just hoping and praying that everything will be OK."

Johnson's wife, Cassandra, is also from New Orleans. The two were married there in 1991.

Johnson said most of his family and his wife's family got out of New Orleans before Hurricane Katrina made landfall early Monday.

Some are staying at Johnson's home in The Woodlands, and Donnie Nelson, the Mavs' president of basketball operations, has helped, too.

"I've got family members [staying] all around Dallas," Johnson said. "Donnie Nelson has been helping me out with some housing. I've got people all up and down Interstate 10. Some are at my house, and some are in hotels."

Johnson fears the worst for his hometown.

"They won't be able to get back in there for a couple of weeks, and I think the worst is going to happen before it gets better," he said. "But when the time comes, I want people to just open up their hearts and open up their wallets as best they can just for the people that are devastated by this storm.

"The point is, this didn't hit Louisiana, Alabama and Mississippi. It hit America."
He is a good guy. He lives in The Woodlands? I didn't know that...I lived like 15 mins from The Woodlands a couple of years ago.

Walton Buys Off Me
08-31-2005, 11:33 AM
Good luck to all

samikeyp
08-31-2005, 11:48 AM
I had the pleasure of meeting Avery and his wife once back in '96. Some of the nicest people you will ever meet. Hopefully his family are safe and ok.

Trainwreck2100
08-31-2005, 01:39 PM
That sucks

ducks
08-31-2005, 02:02 PM
"I'm trying to find out what happened to my mother and brother," said Amy Shaw, 35. "I begged them to come here with us, but they wouldn't. Now I hear that area is all flooded. I'm just hoping maybe if my phone is charged I might get a call."

people are so stupid you try to help them and they refuse

TOP-CHERRY
08-31-2005, 05:30 PM
They just said on WOAI that AJ found his family (is going there) and they're okay.

timvp
08-31-2005, 05:31 PM
They just said on WOAI that AJ found his family (is going there) and they're okay.

Awesome.

:hat

hussker
09-01-2005, 05:14 PM
Folks, as most of you know, AJ is from New Orleans. Has anyone heard anything from AJ and how the Little General is doing?

ShoogarBear
09-01-2005, 06:20 PM
Mavericks coach Avery Johnson was trying to get as close to New Orleans as he could Wednesday night to find out if members of his family were safe. The majority of Johnson's family and friends left the area before Hurricane Katrina hit. But two of his sisters stayed behind, and no one in the family has been able to contact them since.
-- Dallas Morning News

Link (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/scorecard/09/01/truth.rumors.nba/index.html)

TOP-CHERRY
09-01-2005, 06:25 PM
Folks, as most of you know, AJ is from New Orleans. Has anyone heard anything from AJ and how the Little General is doing?
Did you not read 2 posts above you?

timvp
09-01-2005, 06:26 PM

I merged two threads.

:fro

TOP-CHERRY
09-01-2005, 06:26 PM
Oh. :D

ShoogarBear
09-01-2005, 06:28 PM
^spoke too soon^

hussker
09-01-2005, 07:36 PM

I actually posted my post today. I did not see anything referring to AJ since the Finley issue kind of buried eveything else in the way of threads.

Hey, what can I say. I am a bit behind the power curve of the rest! I guess that goes along with living in College Station with my AGGIE WIFE!

Seriously, I am happy for AJ, but sad for everyone and what they have to go through. Welcome these poor folks to our communities, help them start over (for some, they are JUST STARTING), and love them. It is going to be tough!

God Bless us all! (oh, and go big red)

TOP-CHERRY
09-01-2005, 07:42 PM
I actually posted my post today. I did not see anything referring to AJ since the Finley issue kind of buried eveything else in the way of threads.

Hey, what can I say. I am a bit behind the power curve of the rest! I guess that goes along with living in College Station with my AGGIE WIFE!

Seriously, I am happy for AJ, but sad for everyone and what they have to go through. Welcome these poor folks to our communities, help them start over (for some, they are JUST STARTING), and love them. It is going to be tough!

God Bless us all! (oh, and go big red)
Sorry, it was my mistake for not seeing that the threads were merged. :)

hussker
09-01-2005, 07:45 PM
Sorry, it was my mistake for not seeing that the threads were merged. :)

No harm, no foul! :spin

Vashner
09-01-2005, 10:20 PM
He can't give out the names because of kidnapping risk. Like they tried to do with Manu's family.

Rummpd
09-02-2005, 01:11 AM
Involved on national scene directly 24/7 now with this stuff and I am quite confident proper inquiries have been made to assist him and many others.

The official starting point for this is always the American Red Cross for those in similar situations. Web site www.redcross.org

Yesterday here and on hoopsworld I posted an article with other disaster advice. That article has access to multiple other web sites. Best general update round the clock IMO = www.fema.gov or for health matters www.dhhs.gov

Contact me please any questions - check e-mail at least every 3 hours at the address below.

God bless all - I am going to try to get my 2 hours sleep!

Peter Rumm, MD, MPH
Director, The Center for Public Readiness and Communication
The Drexel SPH ( I am a professor in the Dept. of Env. and Occ Health)* and a devoted Spurs fan but also an Avery fan and anyone else affected has my concern and prayers.)[email protected]