PDA

View Full Version : Bbbbbut Tim is only shooting 15% on post ups...

TDfan2007
12-23-2014, 01:40 AM
:lol amazing what happens when an old man finds his rhythm over the course of a long season.

Personally, I think his post moves this year have been better than any point since 2010. He's actually using his jump hook, shoulder fakes, and some nice up and under moves instead of just taking that lazy turnaround over his right shoulder. Things weren't falling at the beginning of the year, but everything looks back on track now.

If he can keep up this level of post play and get that jumper back to 2013 levels, then things should really get interesting. Pop resting him on all of these b2bs should help keep the legs fresh, despite the increase in mpg.

Side note: I think he looks better than he did last year, which is just amazing. The guy is a freaking legend.

Arcadian
12-23-2014, 01:47 AM
Yep. I always knew he would age well, because his skills are timeless.

Brunodf
12-23-2014, 01:48 AM
:lol amazing what happens when an old man finds his rhythm over the course of a long season.

Personally, I think his post moves this year have been better than any point since 2010. He's actually using his jump hook, shoulder fakes, and some nice up and under moves instead of just taking that lazy turnaround over his right shoulder. Things weren't falling at the beginning of the year, but everything looks back on track now.

If he can keep up this level of post play and get that jumper back to 2013 levels, then things should really get interesting. Pop resting him on all of these b2bs should help keep the legs fresh, despite the increase in mpg.

Side note: I think he looks better than he did last year, which is just amazing. The guy is a freaking legend.
Come on u are overreacting , 2013 Duncan post ups were close to prime Duncan, he was great in the last few games but he still need to work to get back to that level

Malik Hairston
12-23-2014, 01:54 AM
Timmy's ISO-post plays are still very inefficient, tbh..

His best success has been coming on the quick entry pass, followed by the quick post move/finish, which is what the anti-Duncan post-up group has been saying..

The ISO-post game was working against Portland, and it can be an option when he's hot, but his finishing/making quick moves off the catch are more effective, overall..

apalisoc_9
12-23-2014, 02:02 AM
:lmao

He is an inefficient post up player but elite of the pass..

Why is this so hard to accept?

TDfan2007
12-23-2014, 02:34 AM
Come on u are overreacting , 2013 Duncan post ups were close to prime Duncan, he was great in the last few games but he still need to work to get back to that level

I feel like a lot of his resurgence that year came from his improved outside shot, but it's definitely arguable.

TDfan2007
12-23-2014, 02:38 AM
Timmy's ISO-post plays are still very inefficient, tbh..

His best success has been coming on the quick entry pass, followed by the quick post move/finish, which is what the anti-Duncan post-up group has been saying..

The ISO-post game was working against Portland, and it can be an option when he's hot, but his finishing/making quick moves off the catch are more effective, overall..

I don't think anyone is advocating a return to 4down offense, but Timmy can still be effective with those post isos in limited bursts, much like what he did tonight. It's a solid get out of jail free card if the offense stalls or gets disrupted.

Nathan89
12-23-2014, 02:43 AM
They prefer he never post up so he won't be prepared to do it in a critical situation.

apalisoc_9
12-23-2014, 02:53 AM
I don't think anyone is advocating a return to 4down offense, but Timmy can still be effective with those post isos in limited bursts, much like what he did tonight. It's a solid get out of jail free card if the offense stalls or gets disrupted.

Non of the Anti post up groups wants timmy to stop posting up completely.

The point of the matter is that, there are far better options out there and to consistently use a more inefficient way of scoring is just murdering your own team.

options that should be used more for example are kawhi post ups, Tony PnR, Ginobili PnR, Motion..

Those are far better option..The tony PnR allows timmy to scoring in a manner he is really good at.

Otherwise, he is just being horrible post up player.

TDfan2007
12-23-2014, 03:57 AM
Non of the Anti post up groups wants timmy to stop posting up completely.

The point of the matter is that, there are far better options out there and to consistently use a more inefficient way of scoring is just murdering your own team.

options that should be used more for example are kawhi post ups, Tony PnR, Ginobili PnR, Motion..

Those are far better option..The tony PnR allows timmy to scoring in a manner he is really good at.

Otherwise, he is just being horrible post up player.

There you go again with the "horrible" talk. By no stretch of the imagination is Timmy a horrible post up player. He just went toe to toe with Marc Gasol (Timmy would've had a 30 pt game had he shot his FTs at a normal rate that game), shat on Portland's entire frontline, and dominated Deandre Jordan. He can still score on anyone, but he can't do it possession after possession like in his prime. His post ups should be used as a wrinkle in our offense and as a fail-safe in case the offense stalls or the pnr game proves ineffective.

Timmy is posting up more this season by necessity. Key guys have been injured and when Manu is on the bench and Tony is out, the Spurs have ZERO creators. And it's not just Timmy. Boris has been getting more post touches as well and Kawhi's high post isos have increased. In the absence of Tony (who is the orchestrator of our offense) the Spurs have had to revert to more isoball. As you saw tonight, when Parker is running at near 100%, there's no need for all of those isos and the offense looks MUCH better.

apalisoc_9
12-23-2014, 04:18 AM
The team used the 4 down with Kawhi, Tony and Manu all playing..And used a lot.

Tim is still an ineffixient post up player..

But hey if he makes one out of 10..He deserves 4 downs more than a Tony PnR or a over one of the efficient post up players in the league I guess...

cd021
12-23-2014, 05:24 AM
I feel like a lot of his resurgence that year came from his improved outside shot, but it's definitely arguable.

The 12-13 Duncan benefited from MVParkers dominance. Green also had a fantastic year shooting the ball and Leonard was a solid 3pt shooter. I though he looked good in the 11-12 run as well. His jumper was a big reason, i agree, it also helped because it opened up his drive game.

spurraider21
12-23-2014, 05:50 AM

why is it that you can never show stats that support this, tbh?

Nathan89
12-23-2014, 06:08 AM
But hey if he makes one out of 10..He deserves 4 downs more than a Tony PnR or a over one of the efficient post up players in the league I guess...

Didn't realize he only made 10%. Source?

Old School 44
12-23-2014, 12:26 PM
I don't mind an occasional post up from TD, but when he's in the post, he seems to go over his right shoulder with a right hand jumper too much.

Leetonidas
12-23-2014, 12:30 PM
Nigga seems like he improved from last season, which is absurd given his age. But damn he is a beast. It's nice to see him playing like the tail end of his prime again putting the Spurs on his shoulders while Kobe is having one of the worst volume-shooting seasons of all-time while leading his team to the lottery and probably giving their pick to Phoenix anyway :lmao

Juan
12-23-2014, 12:33 PM

:lol while Kawhi sits out with a :cry bruised hand :cry somethin is torn in there :cry. Guy has never played more then 60something games in a season and old man Duncan is out there giving it his all every game running circles around the young bucks in the league while shitting on you routinely every single game. You look like a fool hanging around a Spurs forum while continuing to shit on and diminish Duncan's ability every chance you get. So fuckin stupid.

apalisoc_9
12-23-2014, 02:16 PM
:lol while Kawhi sits out with a :cry bruised hand :cry somethin is torn in there :cry. Guy has never played more then 60something games in a season and old man Duncan is out there giving it his all every game running circles around the young bucks in the league while shitting on you routinely every single game. You look like a fool hanging around a Spurs forum while continuing to shit on and diminish Duncan's ability every chance you get. So fuckin stupid.

Some people thought Duncan would be injury prone when he tore his meniscus, tbh

apalisoc_9
12-23-2014, 02:17 PM

only a blind homer would deny his inefficiency in the post.

Juan
12-23-2014, 02:29 PM
Some people thought Duncan would be injury prone when he tore his meniscus, tbh

I love Leonard but no true Spurs fan would get satisfaction out of going around and shitting on Duncan every chance they get. Just makes you lose all credibility as a fan tbqh.

apalisoc_9
12-23-2014, 02:32 PM
I love Leonard but no true Spurs fan would get satisfaction out of going around and shitting on Duncan every chance they get. Just makes you lose all credibility as a fan tbqh.

I am probably the biggest Tim Fan in the board, tbh.

100%duncan
12-23-2014, 04:02 PM

:lol

spurraider21
12-23-2014, 04:10 PM
only a blind homer would deny his inefficiency in the post.
only a delusional poster would continue to pull statistics out of his ass

apalisoc_9
12-23-2014, 04:36 PM
I have provided stats and sources...

Tim is atrocious in the post.

Cry Havoc
12-23-2014, 04:43 PM
apa, getting his terrible on.

Sean Cagney
12-25-2014, 12:35 AM
I have provided stats and sources...

Tim is atrocious in the post.

So you are saying Tim has always been a terrible player in the post or older Tim? If you are saying Tim has always been you are even more wrong tbh. He might have slipped some later on when he lost the weight and changed his game up some, but in his prime dude was great in the post with great footwork and could pop outside as well if he had to, he had it all. I hope you are not saying he has always been bad in the post?

Malik Hairston
12-25-2014, 05:07 PM
:lol Duncan post ups..

timtonymanu
12-25-2014, 05:09 PM
Duncan post ups have rarely worked these days. Don't know why people are getting so sensitive about the criticism though. We all love Timmy. :lol

Kobe fans-like with the :cry Don't criticize Timmy. :cry

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
12-25-2014, 05:10 PM
:lol Duncan post ups..
He's not shooting 15% from there which is the point of this thread. The fact that a new blood is making up stats throwing our great under the buss for a injury-probed forward who is adapting, but has it easy, is pretty sad

apalisoc_9
12-25-2014, 05:10 PM
1-5 in the post and not including two blocks and a turnover..:lol

But almost 95% in the PnR baskets..

apalisoc_9
12-25-2014, 05:11 PM
timmy is my hero..

4 down all the way

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
12-25-2014, 05:11 PM
1-5 in the post and not including two blocks and a turnover..:lol

But almost 95% in the PnR baskets..
Post your advanced stats :lol

TDfan2007
12-25-2014, 05:14 PM
Ugh...Today was rough, but tbh Timmy isn't going to put in work against Adams at this point of his career. He's the exact type of player that gives Timmy problems, like Bogut.

Not sure what was up today, but everyone aside from Bonner, Cojo, and splitter looked awful.

TDfan2007
12-25-2014, 05:16 PM
Duncan post ups have rarely worked these days. Don't know why people are getting so sensitive about the criticism though. We all love Timmy. :lol

Kobe fans-like with the :cry Don't criticize Timmy. :cry

They're only useful in certain situations. Okc is not one of them...Adams is too physical and too athletic.

Johnny RIngo
12-25-2014, 05:19 PM
So you are saying Tim has always been a terrible player in the post or older Tim? If you are saying Tim has always been you are even more wrong tbh. He might have slipped some later on when he lost the weight and changed his game up some, but in his prime dude was great in the post with great footwork and could pop outside as well if he had to, he had it all. I hope you are not saying he has always been bad in the post?

Pretty sure he wasn't talking about TD in his prime.

Relying on 39 year old TD post-ups isn't going to get the team far this year though. Aging stars will drag the team down if they're still the focal point of the offense. We saw this with Ewing in '99, Wizards MJ, current Kobe, etc. I don't think we have to worry about this though. We're only seeing more Duncan ISOs right now because of all the recent injuries in the past few weeks. Duncan proved to be a fantastic playing within the team offense in the playoffs last year. We'll probably see that again when Kawhi and Patty are back and the team is at full strength(it'd also help if Parker could look like 2013 TP again...which doesn't seen likely anymore)

Nathan89
12-25-2014, 05:35 PM
Duncan shouldn't post up long players like Adams.

TheGreatYacht
12-25-2014, 05:39 PM
timmy is my hero..

4 down all the way

I thought Cry Havoc made you close your account

TDfan2007
12-25-2014, 06:16 PM
Pretty sure he wasn't talking about TD in his prime.

Relying on 39 year old TD post-ups isn't going to get the team far this year though. Aging stars will drag the team down if they're still the focal point of the offense. We saw this with Ewing in '99, Wizards MJ, current Kobe, etc. I don't think we have to worry about this though. We're only seeing more Duncan ISOs right now because of all the recent injuries in the past few weeks. Duncan proved to be a fantastic playing within the team offense in the playoffs last year. We'll probably see that again when Kawhi and Patty are back and the team is at full strength(it'd also help if Parker could look like 2013 TP again...which doesn't seen likely anymore)

This

Arcadian
12-25-2014, 07:11 PM
No one is arguing that Tim post-ups are an optimal strategy for team success. But individually, especially for an old player, he's still a legend in the post. If I could take lessons on post play from anyone in the league, it would be Duncan. This isn't consequential to the Spurs as a team anymore, but it's just a testament to his greatness.