PDA

View Full Version : Great night for the Spurs

SpurPadre
12-24-2014, 12:14 AM
Bud just did us another solid by beating the clips! This followed by the Thunder losing in OT, the Mavs losing, and the Lakers are up big against the Dubs late in the third. We've been overdue some help like this, tbh.

lefty
12-24-2014, 12:16 AM
http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2013/09/bored-bundy.gif

SpurPadre
12-24-2014, 12:20 AM
Hey it's better to talk about this than some players who are never going to play for the team.

benstanfield
12-24-2014, 12:22 AM
:lol West

it's still the Spurs, the healthy Thunder, and then the rest

Spurs 4 The Win
12-24-2014, 12:24 AM

Couldnt agree more, the only teams I worry we could lose to are 1. OKC 2. Houston and 3. Dallas (this is a huge IF too because they look fucking awful after that trade, I think we matchup better now)

Malik Hairston
12-24-2014, 12:24 AM

You're giving up on the Warriors already?:lol..

Every team is gonna go through coasting stretches, tbh, the NBA season is really, really long..the standings will even out for the Spurs, they probably won't end up 1st or 2nd, but they won't be 7th or 8th, either..even with the injuries, the system is good enough to negate the inevitable complacency that top teams suffer IMO..

Malik Hairston
12-24-2014, 12:26 AM
Couldnt agree more, the only teams I worry we could lose to are 1. OKC 2. Houston and 3. Dallas (this is a huge IF too because they look fucking awful after that trade, I think we matchup better now)

I don't understand why so many Spurs fans fear the Mavs, tbh, I've questioned it for months..they don't have the characteristics of a championship team, at all..

They are the 22nd(and will be ranked worse after tonight) ranked defense in the NBA..when has a legit contender ever been so poor on D? They don't have a bench, either..they're the definition of a pretender..

SpurPadre
12-24-2014, 12:27 AM

Every team is gonna go through coasting stretches, tbh, the NBA season is really, really long..the standings will even out for the Spurs, they probably won't end up 1st or 2nd, but they won't be 7th or 8th, either..even with the injuries, the system is good enough to negate the inevitable complacency that top teams suffer IMO..

Yeah I wouldn't give up on the Dubs, either but if Bogut' s injury lingers, it could drastically hurt their chances to contend.

SpurPadre
12-24-2014, 12:29 AM
I don't understand why so many Spurs fans fear the Mavs, tbh, I've questioned it for months..they don't have the characteristics of a championship team, at all..

They are the 22nd(and will be ranked worse after tonight) ranked defense in the NBA..when has a legit contender ever been so poor on D? They don't have a bench, either..they're the definition of a pretender..

Because they're the only ones who took us to 7 games last year but who knows how they pan out with Rondo in the long run?

Malik Hairston
12-24-2014, 12:31 AM
Yeah I wouldn't give up on the Dubs, either but if Bogut' s injury lingers, it could drastically hurt their chances to contend.

Ya, that was my main concern about Golden State, I highly doubt Bogut stays healthy for the playoffs(there's really no reason to believe he will), and he's probably the most valuable defensive piece in the league IMO..

james evans
12-24-2014, 12:31 AM
yep. Even I'm not worried about parker being killed by rondo. Rondo can't shoot so here is where our zone won't bite us in the ass against him. I can live with him taking 10 jumpers a game.

Spurs 4 The Win
12-24-2014, 12:33 AM

I dont think anyone actually believes the Warriors are contenders, it will be fun watching OKC stomp them in round 1 and Kerr is wondering what happened to his precious regular season champs :lol

Malik Hairston
12-24-2014, 12:35 AM
Because they're the only ones who took us to 7 games last year but who knows how they pan out with Rondo in the long run?

Sure, in a very fluky series, which occurs all the time in the NBA(Atlanta taking the Celtics in 2008 to 7, the Rockets without McGrady and Yao taking the Lakers to 7 in 2009, etc)..game 7 was a complete destruction, which is what happened once Pop figured them out towards the end(particularly destroying Dirk on the pick&roll, which the Spurs completely exploited from game 5 to game 7)..

- Spurs' perimeter shooters shooting under 35% from 3 through the first 6 games vs. a poor defensive team
- Devin Harris, Jose Calderon and Vince Carter all shooting 43%+ from 3 through the first 6 games:lol
- Vince Carter miraculous 3
- Dejuan Blair single-handedly willing a team down the stretch

Their bench killed the Spurs last year, and now they no longer have a bench outside of Harris..

Spurs probably beat them in 5 this time IMO, especially with Rondo now..

Healthy OKC and Houston are the bad matchups for the Spurs IMO(although playoffs Houston hasn't looked too scary), and while the Spurs matchup very well with the Warriors, that team could get hot for an entire series, obviously..

Clippers and Blazers aren't serious threats, at all, and Spurs match up extremely well with Memphis, of course..

SpurPadre
12-24-2014, 12:37 AM
Ya, that was my main concern about Golden State, I highly doubt Bogut stays healthy for the playoffs(there's really no reason to believe he will), and he's probably the most valuable defensive piece in the league IMO..

After Thompson and Curry went off in the first two games in our series against them in '13, we figured them out and it was really bogut that made it a series with his rebounding and defense.

benstanfield
12-24-2014, 12:38 AM

Theyll most likely be the 1 seed IMO and have the most hype going into the playoffs. But I'll believe a team led by a scoring PG and SG can win the west when I see it. Not to mention the moment glass Bogut breaks their dreams are dashed.

SpurPadre
12-24-2014, 12:39 AM
Sure, in a very fluky series, which occurs all the time in the NBA(Atlanta taking the Celtics in 2008 to 7, the Rockets without McGrady and Yao taking the Lakers to 7 in 2009, etc)..game 7 was a complete destruction, which is what happened once Pop figured them out towards the end(particularly destroying Dirk on the pick&roll, which the Spurs completely exploited from game 5 to game 7)..

- Spurs' perimeter shooters shooting under 35% from 3 through the first 6 games vs. a poor defensive team
- Devin Harris, Jose Calderon and Vince Carter all shooting 43%+ from 3 through the first 6 games:lol

Their bench killed the Spurs last year, and now they no longer have a bench outside of Harris..

Healthy OKC and Houston are the bad matchups for the Spurs IMO(although playoffs Houston hasn't looked too scary), and while the Spurs matchup very well with the Warriors, that team could get hot for an entire series, obviously..

Clippers and Blazers aren't serious threats, at all, and Spurs match up extremely well with Memphis, of course..
Agreed. But I'd still like to get home court in at least one series.

itzsoweezee
12-24-2014, 12:47 AM

If Bogut is healthy, the Warriors are just as much a threat as the Thunder.

benstanfield
12-24-2014, 12:52 AM

Wont get out of the West barring Curry supernova mode. The makeup of their scoring involves too much variance tbqh. And they have to avoid Dallas and Portland to even think about how badly they match up with the Spurs.

Spurs 4 The Win
12-24-2014, 12:59 AM

Look, we were slumping but lets not act like what the Mavs did was some fluke.

1. They had a game 1 collapse and gave it away to us by scoring one basket in the final 7 minutes of the game.

2. Game 4 could have gone either way and they came from down 20 to almost win that game and likely fuck up our title run, but Diaw saved us. (We still needed a missed layup from Ellis)

3. Game 5 was a 4 point game with about 2 minutes to play.

As lucky as they got, we had our fair share too. Lets not act like they are a team we should have beat in 5 but Carter saved them from that fate.

Spurs 4 The Win
12-24-2014, 01:00 AM

Please tell me you are joking, you think Kerr and the jumpshooters could beat us if we are healthy? :lol

tmtcsc
12-24-2014, 01:06 AM
People, the Thunder are finished. They are irrelevant to the Championship equation for the Spurs. I won't be surprised if they make the playoffs but they won't get past the first round. If the Spurs are healthy they will repeat.

tmtcsc
12-24-2014, 01:08 AM

1. They had a game 1 collapse and gave it away to us by scoring one basket in the final 7 minutes of the game.

2. Game 4 could have gone either way and they came from down 20 to almost win that game and likely fuck up our title run, but Diaw saved us. (We still needed a missed layup from Ellis)

As lucky as they got, we had our fair share too. Lets not act like they are a team we should have beat in 5 but Carter saved them from that fate.

What the mavs did was a fluke.

houston spurs fan
12-24-2014, 01:23 AM
Congrats to Bud and Atl. He has had a lot of quality wins this season with relatively less talent. Early coach of the year candidate for sure.

Spurs 4 The Win
12-24-2014, 01:26 AM
People, the Thunder are finished. They are irrelevant to the Championship equation for the Spurs. I won't be surprised if they make the playoffs but they won't get past the first round. If the Spurs are healthy they will repeat.

You are insane if you think a healthy Thunder team couldnt make the Finals

Ice009
12-24-2014, 01:36 AM

What's wrong with Bogut? Has he played any games this season? Sorry, I just haven't watch any of their games apart from that 1 game against the Spurs.

Malik Hairston
12-24-2014, 01:38 AM

I agree with your points, that's not what I meant..I meant fluky in the sense that they played well above their heads, which I fully stand by when you compare the performances of the key players of that series(Harris, Vince, Blair and even Dalembert) to their regular season sample sizes..

Sometimes, series' will go the distance due to unexpected events, such as the Celtics-Hawks and Lakers-Rockets matchups that I mentioned earlier..like the Spurs-Mavs, those matchups ended in game 7 blowouts, too..

I don't think the Mavs could replicate what they did last year(and their roster seems worse, too, despite people thinking they made upgrades), just like I don't think the Rockets without McGrady and Yao could have done the same to Kobe's Lakers again..

objective
12-24-2014, 02:06 AM
Mags series went long because of Marco. If pop plays him, same thing will happen

timtonymanu
12-24-2014, 02:17 AM

I think the Spurs match up better with OKC than they did last season, but I still think the Thunder are the scariest matchup for them in the West, outside of Houston. If Durant continues getting hurt though, I agree that OKC won't make it past the 1st round.

Golden State still doesn't scare me since Leonard and Green are the Splash Brothers stoppers.

SpurPadre
12-24-2014, 02:41 AM
I think the Spurs match up better with OKC than they did last season, but I still think the Thunder are the scariest matchup for them in the West, outside of Houston. If Durant continues getting hurt though, I agree that OKC won't make it past the 1st round.

Golden State still doesn't scare me since Leonard and Green are the Splash Brothers stoppers.

Not if Kawhi' s hand is still fucked up.

timtonymanu
12-24-2014, 02:43 AM
Not if Kawhi' s hand is still fucked up.

Of course. The Spurs wouldn't even make it past the first round without Kawhi. I'm talking in terms of a fully healthy Spurs team.

marinoman
12-24-2014, 03:00 AM
While i do think spurs are the best when healthy, i believe the rockettes would be a tough matchup for us and i wouldnt underestimate them

tmtcsc
12-24-2014, 09:14 AM
You are insane if you think a healthy Thunder team couldnt make the Finals

Seriously? What makes you think they can reach the Finals if healthy? They haven't been the same since they let go of Harden and they don't have enough off the bench. Last year they needed fluke buzzer beaters to even make it to the WCF. Once there, the Spurs emasculated them. IF the Thunder make the playoffs (it will mean that they got healthy) they will be dispatched quickly.

littlecoyotecoin
12-24-2014, 09:46 AM
Hey it's better to talk about this than some players who are never going to play for the team.

True. Far more interesting and relevant. Watching the West race is great this year, even if just from the scoreboard most of the time. It was only a matter of time before some of these teams started to come down out of that rarefied air. We've had two nights like this in one week. Here's to more!

exstatic
12-24-2014, 10:11 AM

If they called the VC travel on his game winner, it's over in 5. Fluke series extended by their excellent coach and a bad no call.

MVPCues
12-24-2014, 11:16 AM

And at the end of it the Spurs woke up. If they aren't sleep walking at the start of the series it would not have been close.

Old School 44
12-24-2014, 11:49 AM
The only playoff bound teams that I'm not too worried about are Memphis and the Clips. Everyone else has players that can just go off.

OKC - Durant/Westbrook
GS - Curry/Thompson
Portland - Lillard/Aldridge
Rockets - Harden
Mavs - Ellis

But even with that said, IF healthy, I like our chances against anyone.