PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Why is it so hard for NBA coaches to guard the 3 point shot on an inbound play?????

james evans
12-24-2014, 12:21 AM
Scenario:

Team is down 3 with 5 seconds or less left in the game. What are they going to do? 10 times out of 10, they will shoot the 3. What I don't understand is when 4 offensive players line up in the paint and disperse to their positions(which normally involve the best shooter coming off of a screen) WHY DOES THE DEFENSIVE TEAM LINE UP IN THE PAINT AS WELL????? WHY??? If you know a team needs a 3 with 5 seconds or less left, u leave the paint wide open, take your tallest player and put him on the inbounds guy, have your other 4 defenders line up at the 3 pont line facing the rim and guard the 3 pont line and shooters running out of the huddle. I've never in all of my years of watching basketball seen a coach do this. Just like tonight in the Thunder/Trailbalzers game, u have 4 defenders sitting in the paint and Portland continues to run that same play in which Lillard comes off a screen and takes a 3 pointer slightly off the top of the key.

hyhy
12-24-2014, 01:02 AM
Bcoz they can inbound alley dunk, have 4.9secs left to foul and have another possession?

DMC
12-24-2014, 01:03 AM
Scenario:

Team is down 3 with 5 seconds or less left in the game. What are they going to do? 10 times out of 10, they will shoot the 3. What I don't understand is when 4 offensive players line up in the paint and disperse to their positions(which normally involve the best shooter coming off of a screen) WHY DOES THE DEFENSIVE TEAM LINE UP IN THE PAINT AS WELL????? WHY??? If you know a team needs a 3 with 5 seconds or less left, u leave the paint wide open, take your tallest player and put him on the inbounds guy, have your other 4 defenders line up at the 3 pont line facing the rim and guard the 3 pont line and shooters running out of the huddle. I've never in all of my years of watching basketball seen a coach do this. Just like tonight in the Thunder/Trailbalzers game, u have 4 defenders sitting in the paint and Portland continues to run that same play in which Lillard comes off a screen and takes a 3 pointer slightly off the top of the key.

Mostly because coaches aren't allowed on the floor during regulation minutes or even in OT tbh.

james evans
12-24-2014, 01:16 AM
Bcoz they can inbound alley dunk, have 4.9secs left to foul and have another possession?
an inbound and dunk takes more than .1 seconds off the clock. and even if it happens, u get the ball, they foul, taking another second off the clock. they do it agagain. another .5 seconds off the clock. u inbound,t hey foul. You factor in that most teams won't have 3 timeouts with 5 seconds left. I'm sorry, i'm just not a fan of letting someone shoot a 3 and hoping they miss. DMC has nothing to do with coaches being on the floor. That's what practice is for. You go over this in practice daily so when the time comes, your team knows not to give up a wide open 3 pointer

Silver&Black
12-24-2014, 01:22 AM
Mostly because coaches aren't allowed on the floor during regulation minutes or even in OT tbh.

^
This

hyhy
12-24-2014, 01:26 AM
an inbound and dunk takes more than .1 seconds off the clock. and even if it happens, u get the ball, they foul, taking another second off the clock. they do it agagain. another .5 seconds off the clock. u inbound,t hey foul. You factor in that most teams won't have 3 timeouts with 5 seconds left. I'm sorry, i'm just not a fan of letting someone shoot a 3 and hoping they miss. DMC has nothing to do with coaches being on the floor. That's what practice is for. You go over this in practice daily so when the time comes, your team knows not to give up a wide open 3 pointer

How long does it take for you to dunk the ball on an alleydunk after u receive the ball on an inbound? You would rather pit yr team's free throws against the opponent's dunks percentage?
And dmc is talkin about your thread title, nba coaches "guarding" a player, literally

hyhy
12-24-2014, 01:27 AM
Oh, and if all your players are on the 3point line, there's nobody rebounding so even if they miss, they will get a second chance.

james evans
12-24-2014, 01:44 AM
hyhy, 5 seconds. i can see if it was 30, or even 10. how often with 5 seconds left do u see teams go for an open dunk when down 3? Not shitting on u, just a question. How often have u seen that in all of your years of watching basketball. 5 seconds. Those are key words.

JohnnyMax
12-24-2014, 03:56 AM

TDMVPDPOY
12-24-2014, 04:02 AM
a fluke shot will always be a fluke shot

Raven
12-24-2014, 06:07 AM
because there is such a thing called "a screen".