PDA

View Full Version : Planning my first trip to see the Spurs live

CostaRicaSpurs
12-24-2014, 03:24 PM
Hello all, I am long time lurker who absolutely adores the Spurs and has been a devoted fan since 1990. I have never had the chance to travel to San Antonio to watch them play and seeing as I don't want to hate myself for not seeing Timmy or Manu live if they do decide to retire after this season, I am hoping to plan a trip sometime next year.

I am still unsure about what time would be the best. Right now I am leaning towards going to the game against the Grizzlies on March 29th, when they will probably still be fighting for playoff seeding, but I was also wondering how difficult is it to get playoff tickets. Just in case I decide to wait a little longer and go the 1st round or beyond, if possible.

Also, my plan is to find a cheap play to stay through AirBnB. Which area would you guys recommend best to enjoy the city and also have easy transport options to the AT&T Center? Considering I would probably be traveling from March 27 to March 30th.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide me.

Mel_13
12-24-2014, 05:16 PM
If you're trying to keep costs down, then you picked a good game. That weekend is after spring break and before Fiesta and Memphis doesn't draw like the Mavs, Rockets, or Lakers.

As for the playoffs, there are always tickets available for a price.

As for visiting San Antonio, there have been several recent threads that cover much of what you're looking for.

Try these two for starters:

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241766&highlight=antonio

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241654&highlight=antonio

Right now you can only get tickets for that game on the secondary market. The team will offer their remaining inventory of face value tickets right before the Rodeo Road Trip begins.

Good luck!

spurs10
12-24-2014, 06:07 PM
Well you can't get better advice than from Mel_13. He's always has a helpful thing to say. In days past I'd say get your tickets from stubhub, but anymore I think your better getting them through spurs.com. You will get more bang for your buck from them. You might try contacting someone with spurs organization and explain you are coming a long way and could they offer advice. At very least they could let you know when tickets will go on sale. The Spurs representatives have always been very helpful to me the past.

Mikeanaro
12-24-2014, 06:17 PM
Good luck man and enjoy the game.

spurs1990
12-24-2014, 06:25 PM
Alternatively going to a Spurs road game may be beneficial in the sense that you can get both the live viewing experience of the team combined with a more bang-for-your-buck tourist experience.

For instance the Knicks game in New York on March 17. I'd bet a plane ticket would be cheaper flying into those airports. You could simply rent a cheap room/bed off a hostel website and spend your day out and about.

Other dates to consider are March 22 at Atlanta and March 31 at Miami.

All 3 games will be after a full days rest so good bet all hands will be on deck.

Of course there's nothing like watching them surrounding my thousands of fellow fans but there's something especially gratifying seeing a road victory.

maurolv
12-24-2014, 06:25 PM
If you're trying to keep costs down, then you picked a good game. That weekend is after spring break and before Fiesta and Memphis doesn't draw like the Mavs, Rockets, or Lakers.

As for the playoffs, there are always tickets available for a price.

As for visiting San Antonio, there have been several recent threads that cover much of what you're looking for.

Try these two for starters:

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241766&highlight=antonio

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241654&highlight=antonio

Right now you can only get tickets for that game on the secondary market. The team will offer their remaining inventory of face value tickets right before the Rodeo Road Trip begins.

Good luck!

Mel_13, I've been doing a bit of research and you seem to be the expert when it comes to tickets. I'm with my parents and little brother spending Christmas in SA (from Miami) and we'd love to go to the game tomorrow. Is Stubhub the place to go when trying to find inexpensive tickets? Any tips you could suggest? Thank you!

spurs10
12-24-2014, 07:19 PM
Mel_13, I've been doing a bit of research and you seem to be the expert when it comes to tickets. I'm with my parents and little brother spending Christmas in SA (from Miami) and we'd love to go to the game tomorrow. Is Stubhub the place to go when trying to find inexpensive tickets? Any tips you could suggest? Thank you! In case Mel_13 is busy, I'd go to spurs.com and stubhub and compare prices. The best bet will probably be at spurs.com re-sale with some season ticket holders that can't go. The tickets will drop the closer you get to game time, but with the game being so early I'd purchase them now. Have a great time!

007nites
12-24-2014, 07:46 PM
I heard San Antonio has the best Chipolte

maurolv
12-24-2014, 08:04 PM
In case Mel_13 is busy, I'd go to spurs.com and stubhub and compare prices. The best bet will probably be at spurs.com re-sale with some season ticket holders that can't go. The tickets will drop the closer you get to game time, but with the game being so early I'd purchase them now. Have a great time!

Thank you for taking the time to respond, Spurs10. I just checked Spurs.com (I did earlier too) and price haven't really changed. I'm currently debating whether to wait until early in the AM (and hopefully the prices will be a bit better) or buy them tonight (because, as you mentioned, the game is early...).

Mel_13
12-24-2014, 08:10 PM
Mel_13, I've been doing a bit of research and you seem to be the expert when it comes to tickets. I'm with my parents and little brother spending Christmas in SA (from Miami) and we'd love to go to the game tomorrow. Is Stubhub the place to go when trying to find inexpensive tickets? Any tips you could suggest? Thank you!

In case Mel_13 is busy, I'd go to spurs.com and stubhub and compare prices. The best bet will probably be at spurs.com re-sale with some season ticket holders that can't go. The tickets will drop the closer you get to game time, but with the game being so early I'd purchase them now. Have a great time!

I agree with spurs10. Do the comparison, but at this point, you'll probably do better at spurs.com. If you're willing to roll the dice, you could see some significant price drops in the morning tomorrow. If you're going to do that, you need to have an idea of what price works for you and buy them when you see your price. You won't be the only one looking for a last minute bargain. Good luck and enjoy the game!

tlongII
12-24-2014, 08:22 PM
There is no guarantee that the Spurs will be in the playoffs so I wouldn't wait for that.

Mikeanaro
12-25-2014, 12:37 AM
There is no guarantee that the Spurs will be in the playoffs so I wouldn't wait for that.
That was salty.

CostaRicaSpurs
12-25-2014, 01:38 AM
Thanks everyone for the advice.

I did consider going to an away game as I would be able to find cheaper airfare tickets, but I just love the idea of watching the game surrounded by thousand of fellow Spurs fans. Plus I would think that barring any injuries it would be very plausible to see the whole team on the floor. The game at Miami does look tempting but then again I would rather visit during the weekend which means the Atlanta game would also work, but I don't really care about visiting there.

Oh well, there is time to make a decision I guess. Thanks again everyone.

JP le Requin
12-25-2014, 08:58 AM
great! enjoy your trip !! you can see me some post i did for my trips to san antonio too..if it can help you..

GO SPURS GO

ps: i will try to come back next june if spurs are going to nab finals...And sure they will ^^

maurolv
12-26-2014, 03:08 PM
Anyone know which are the best places to find inexpensive Spurs gear in San Antonio?