PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE: Saints and Alamdome...

Clandestino
08-31-2005, 04:34 PM
But LSU Chancellor Sean O'Keefe indicated that the school wants no part of sports while evacuees occupy the campus.

"The scope of this tragedy is becoming more evident as time passes, and LSU's focus is on assisting in the recovery effort of our state," O'Keefe said. "LSU is a primary evacuation site, and we are not going to conduct any activities that could deter from our mission of assisting in the recovery mission."

UPDATED: League says San Antonio in mix for Saints games
Web Posted: 08/31/2005 03:27 PM CDT

Tom Orsborn
Express-News Staff Writer

An NFL spokesman listed San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Baton Rouge, La., and Tuscaloosa, Ala., as the sites under consideration to host the New Orleans Saints' Sept. 18 home opener and possibly the remainder of the beleaguered team's eight-game home schedule.

"We are exploring options, and San Antonio is clearly one, for Saints' home games," NFL vice president of public relations Greg Aieillo said today. "But there are others."

Water continues to rise in New Orleans two days after Hurricane Katrina battered at least five Gulf Coast states.

Eighty percent of the city is under water after five breaks in the city's levee system sent water pouring into the streets of the Big Easy.

The NFL and the Saints are in talks with several cities, including San Antonio, where the team will practice next week after concluding its preseason schedule tonight at Oakland.

The Saints will fly to San Antonio after the game and check into downtown hotels, where they will be reunited with family.

According to sources, the league would prefer to play at LSU's Tiger Stadium because Baton Rouge, which is just 80 miles north of New Orleans, is closest to the Saints' fan base.

"That's just common sense," Aiello said. "That's definitely one of the working principles in guiding us."

But LSU Chancellor Sean O'Keefe indicated that the school wants no part of sports while evacuees occupy the campus.

"The scope of this tragedy is becoming more evident as time passes, and LSU's focus is on assisting in the recovery effort of our state," O'Keefe said. "LSU is a primary evacuation site, and we are not going to conduct any activities that could deter from our mission of assisting in the recovery mission."

"The events of yesterday and this morning have made it clear that this is not the time to play a football game," said LSU athletics director Skip Bertman. "This is a dire situation that rivals any in the history of our state, and our priorities are on participating in recovery efforts."

A number of locations on the LSU campus, and athletics facilities in particular, are being used in the recovery efforts for Hurricane Katrina.

The Carl Maddox Field House is a Special Needs Shelter, and the Pete Maravich Assembly Center has been designated as a triage unit for medical emergencies. The Bernie Moore Track will be utilized as a helicopter landing site for medical emergencies.

Saints running backs coach Johnny Roland said he thinks the Saints will wind up playing at the Alamodome.

"I heard the Houston Texans have offered their stadium, but if push came to shove, I think we'll be practicing and playing at the Alamodome for a while," said Roland, who was born and raised in Corpus Christi.

Asked if he's heard anything about the Saints playing at Tiger Stadium on the Louisiana State campus in Baton Rouge, Roland said, "That would be kind of tough because LSU is where they're taking a lot of the refugees."

Meanwhile, city officials continued to work to find a way to open enough dates at the Alamodome to accommodate the Saints for the entire season.

"I've continuously communicated to the Saints that we have the ability to host those games if desired," City Councilman Roger O. Flores said today. "If the people of New Orleans and the ownership want their team to continue to play games relatively close to (Louisiana), we have the ability to do that. We would be happy to offer what we have."

One option under consideration by the NFL is to play the Sept. 18 game at the Alamodome and play the rest of the games at another site.

New Orleans mayor Ray Nagin said today that Doug Thornton, a regional vice president for the company that manages the Superdome, told him it will be "very, very difficult" for the Saints to play home games there this season. League officials pointed out that New Orleans has just one home game in September and were holding out hope the schedule might allow repairs by the season's second month.

The Saints are considering several sites in San Antonio for practice, including the San Antonio School District's Spring Sports Complex.

"I'm expecting them to work out at our place for at least a week or maybe longer," SASD athletic director Gil Garza. "We told them they can stay here as long as they needed to."

Extra Stout
08-31-2005, 05:24 PM
NFL officials don't seem to have a grasp of the scope of this thing.

MannyIsGod
08-31-2005, 05:43 PM
Regardless if they do or if they don't, they have jobs to do. They're not in the hurricane recovery business, they're in the entertainment business.

N.Y. Johnny
08-31-2005, 07:22 PM
I think most of their season home games will be lost, so i'd bet it would be more than just September 18th's game

and if they come i'm buying 10 tickets to that game, I hate the fuckin Giants i'll screw 10 peeps i know are Giant fans out of ducats :lmao

Geaux Saints!!!!

Vashner
08-31-2005, 07:42 PM
Didn't we just do an upgrade to alamodome? As far as fixing the paint and new jumbo's etc. I think it's in good enough condition.

Zombie
08-31-2005, 09:07 PM
This is a shitty way to show the NFL that SA is Pro Football City.
I am not a big football fan but I would attend a Saints game if they play here.

AlamoSpursFan
09-01-2005, 01:48 AM
One option under consideration by the NFL is to play the Sept. 18 game at the Alamodome and play the rest of the games at another site.

WTF does the No Fun League have against San Antonio, exactly?

This makes no fucking sense whatsoever.

Fuck you Tagliabue!

ChumpDumper
09-01-2005, 02:22 AM
I didn't think about the Cotton Bowl until today -- that place is hella vacant [/Cartman].

ZStomp
09-01-2005, 07:56 AM
I think most of their season home games will be lost, so i'd bet it would be more than just September 18th's game

and if they come i'm buying 10 tickets to that game, I hate the fuckin Giants i'll screw 10 peeps i know are Giant fans out of ducats :lmao

Geaux Saints!!!!

This coming from a guy I IM'ed on AOL asking him to go to a game if they come here. His response: Forget about it! :lmao

I'll see you there then! :lol

ObiwanGinobili
09-01-2005, 08:00 AM
An NFL spokesman listed San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Baton Rouge, La., and Tuscaloosa, Ala., as the sites under consideration to host the New Orleans Saints' Sept. 18 home opener and possibly the remainder of the beleaguered team's eight-game home schedule.

"We are exploring options, and San Antonio is clearly one, for Saints' home games," NFL vice president of public relations Greg Aieillo said today. "But there are others."

i swear the NFL hates the Alamodome...... it's not even good enough to pick up a charity case... they gotta consider it. :rolleyes
there must be a curse onthat building that no NFL team will ever play there ........ it's like a $2 whore - good enough for trainign and practice.

bigzak25
09-01-2005, 09:30 AM
THIS is yet another Chance for SanAntonio to Bring OUR NFL FRANCHISE HOME,

The San Antonio Saints.

Benson has the ties, but we've got to SHOW HIM THE MONEY...Via FAN SUPPORT.

This is the KINDA SHIT I VOTED HARDBERGER INTO OFFICE FOR....Get IT DONE JUDGE. :tu

ZStomp
09-02-2005, 05:06 PM
KSAT just reported that the Saints WILL NOT be playing here on the 18th.

Too bad, I was looking forward to watching some live NFL in SA.

diceman
09-02-2005, 05:09 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2150014

NEW YORK -- The New Orleans Saints, driven from the Superdome by Hurricane Katrina, will play their home opener against the New York Giants at Giants Stadium.

NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue said Friday the game, scheduled for Sept. 18, is being moved to the Giants' home in East Rutherford, N.J.

Tagliabue said it hadn't been decided when the game would be played. The New York Jets, who share the stadium with the Giants, are scheduled to play at home against Miami that day. As a result, the Giants-Saints game most likely will be played Saturday, Sept. 17, or the following Monday.

"We are in the process of working out the specific arrangements, including the day and kickoff time and plans for television coverage," Tagliabue said. He added that information on tickets will be announced in a few days by the Giants.

:rolleyes

ZStomp
09-02-2005, 05:11 PM
:rolleyes

T Park
09-02-2005, 05:14 PM
TV TV TV.

Fuck you Tagliabue.

BTW, dont think Jerry Jones, and the owner of the Texans DIDNT have a hand in getting this done too.

goliath
09-02-2005, 05:16 PM
Moved to NJ?

So much for playing it close to Louisiana.

That basically gives the home turf to NY. At least here the crowd woulda been pro Saints.

Trainwreck2100
09-02-2005, 05:16 PM
Damn asshole tagliabue or however the hell you spell it.

Horry For 3!
09-02-2005, 05:18 PM
"I heard the Houston Texans have offered their stadium, but if push came to shove, I think we'll be practicing and playing at the Alamodome for a while," said Roland, who was born and raised in Corpus Christi.
Sounds good. :tu

ZStomp
09-02-2005, 05:19 PM
Sounds good. :tu

Sounded good....no game here after all.

Horry For 3!
09-02-2005, 05:22 PM
Moved to NJ?

So much for playing it close to Louisiana.

That basically gives the home turf to NY. At least here the crowd woulda been pro Saints.
That is home turf for the Giants. How is that a home game for the Saints? :rolleyes

Horry For 3!
09-02-2005, 05:23 PM
Sounded good....no game here after all.
Saints will have more home games though besides that....

Trainwreck2100
09-02-2005, 05:29 PM
Saints will have more home games though besides that....

So why not just play here for the home opener? He's prob using this delay to try and find another place.

cherylsteele
09-02-2005, 05:34 PM
This makes no sense at all:

1) A game involving their hometown team in The Alamodome would be a great diversion...for a brief period....for those refugees here in San Antonio and around the state.

2) The NFL would not have to juggle times of the games to accomodate the NFL. It would be less of a headache for all involved. You can hold the game at the same time and not have to worry about playing other games. Of all the teams who need a sense of stabily with some sort of home stadium for the year. The Dome would be ideal....but nooo. :cuss

3) I am sorry, but I think it is deeper than just that. Jerry Jones certainly must've called the NFL to voice his displeasure of possibly losing a large portion of fans.

This has conspiracy written all over it. It has money all over it

TOP-CHERRY
09-02-2005, 06:28 PM
Bastards.

TOP-CHERRY
09-02-2005, 06:30 PM
That is home turf for the Giants. How is that a home game for the Saints? :rolleyes
I think that's what he said...

Kori Ellis
09-02-2005, 06:30 PM
Well if they are going to use the AlamoDome to house refugees (as reported) then I don't really care that the Saints aren't going to play there.

The Alamodome in San Antonio, which holds 65,000, had been considered a strong possibility for the game.

Tagliabue indicated, however, it was best to get the game out of the area struck by Hurricane Katrina. The Alamodome and other facilities in the San Antonio area, a little more than 500 miles from New Orleans, are being used to shelter hurricane victims.

maxpower
09-02-2005, 06:38 PM
If they had the game at the dome(that is if it were not being used for refugees...althought I don't know why they would just not use the convention center(it has hundreds of thousands of sqare feet of space). They could distribute tickets to the displaced louisianans and have via ferry them back and forth from kelly usa. Now that would be a diversion they could definitely use.

Clandestino
09-02-2005, 07:52 PM
so, are they going to house people at the alamodome?