PDA

View Full Version : So the Finley signing begs the question...

BillsCarnage
08-31-2005, 05:05 PM
Are Nicky and Finley the Payton and Malone of a few years ago? Gravy training for a ring only to have it backfire. Spurs are better, but ya still have to play the games.

timvp
08-31-2005, 05:06 PM
Time for the signs to sign Richard Dumas.

STFU :lol

Horry For 3!
08-31-2005, 05:06 PM
The Spurs are not the gay Lakers :rolleyes

Horry For 3!
08-31-2005, 05:07 PM

:lmao @ Richard Dumas

itzsoweezee
08-31-2005, 05:07 PM
Are Nicky and Finley the Payton and Malone of a few years ago? Gravy training for a ring only to have it backfire. Spurs are better, but ya still have to play the games.

nope. unlike the lakers, the rest of our squad, and our coach, know how to act like professionals.

2centsworth
08-31-2005, 05:08 PM
Spurs still have to play the games, but phoenix is still insignificant. You just remind me how disappointing it was not to sweep the suns. At least you got to witness the beating in person.

BillsCarnage

whaaaat?? Are the "signs" a new team? :lmao

MaNuMaNiAc
could it be that you're reaching for excuses to feel better about the fact that the Suns were a one season glitch and the Spurs just made their decade?

BillsCarnage
08-31-2005, 05:09 PM
But you can't deny they are gravy training. If they get the ring all the better for them, but they are gravy training.

Trainwreck2100
08-31-2005, 05:11 PM

The obvious diff. being those two were starters, these two are starting caliber players coming off the bench.

:smokin

2centsworth
08-31-2005, 05:11 PM
But you can't deny they are gravy training. If they get the ring all the better for them, but they are gravy training.

not at all, Spurs have never repeated. Also, they are trying to be part of one of the best basketball teams of all-time. Spurs have the best shot at 70 games than anyone in a long time.

benjirh
08-31-2005, 05:12 PM
It is funny how everyone on this site crapped on LA and Miami for getting over the hill players for a final run at the finals. There are a few differences here, our guys come in knowing that they are backups(hopefully). But I do have some issues with these signings and chemistry is definitely one of the issues.

BillsCarnage
08-31-2005, 05:12 PM
They will be good, but 70 is highly, highly unlikely. 60-65 is more likely.

timvp
08-31-2005, 05:13 PM
The Suns are cold ... now called the Signs.

samikeyp
08-31-2005, 05:14 PM

They took less money for the chance to win a title. Are you saying you would rather have players that care more about the money?

nkdlunch
Spurs w/out Finley, Van Exel >>>>> Lakers w/out Payton,Malone :rolleyes

We never needed them. They're just jumping on the wagon.

Dre_7
Screw number of reg season wins. All I care about is the LOB Trophy. winning 4 outa every 7 games in the playoffs is all that matters!!

T Park
08-31-2005, 05:15 PM
Only difference clown.

These guys arent gonna be starters.

THey are 15 to 20 minute a game guys.

Not 40 like what the Lakers depended on with Malone and Payton.

Totally different Assclown.

BillsCarnage
08-31-2005, 05:16 PM
They took less money for the chance to win a title. Are you saying you would rather have players that care more about the money?

Nothing wrong with that, but it's called gravy training. I didn't say it was good or bad, just what it is. JoJo certainly cared more about $$ than a ring and I could care less that he's gone.

FromWayDowntown
08-31-2005, 05:16 PM

I think it's an entirely different situation. Payton and Malone were signed by the Lakers coming off of a 2nd Round elimination and the realization that they could not deal with Tim Duncan effectively (but who can, really?). They went to LA to be major difference makers -- starters who would play big minutes every night. LA needed those guys if they were to have any chance to win.

I think Tim Duncan summarized the Spurs position position with Nick and Fin pretty nicely. He reportedly told Nick, "We'd love to have you, but we don't need you." The same holds true for Fin. These are luxuries who provide better depth to a strong team; but they aren't the difference between winning and not winning in 2005-06.

The ultimate truth in SA is that the Spurs go as far as Tim takes them. His burden is eased by the quality of the guys around him (compare 2002 and 2003) and that's why it helps the Spurs to build depth. But the truth is that if Tim Duncan is injured and out for the year, it doesn't matter who else is in the starting lineup and who is coming off the bench. No Tim = No Title.

samikeyp
08-31-2005, 05:19 PM
Nothing wrong with that, but it's called gravy training. I didn't say it was good or bad, just what it is. JoJo certainly cared more about $$ than a ring and I could care less that he's gone.

Its not gravy training...gravy training is a negative thing. It means you are hanging on someone's coattails and enjoying their success without contributing anything. Van Exel and Finley will contribute or they will be gone....plain and simple.

Samr
08-31-2005, 05:28 PM
The difference is simple:

The Lakers sign players first and figure out how to fit them in later.

The Spurs isolate their needs first, and find players to fit the mold.

Payton and Malone were both going to the hall of fame no matter what, and they just wanted that final bit of validation. They all admitted it. The courtship revolved around the upcomming NBA Finals.

NVE and Finley are both solid players, and big names, but their careers have not reached that top tier quite yet. NVE has sported a reputation has a head case for the better part of his career, while has been the good offensive player who is consistently overpaid and expected to carry too much weight. NEITHER of them signed with the Spurs wanting to be in the spotlight. They didn't bring their new jerseys to the MTV Music Video Awards. They wanted that final piece to validate their reputations, and to their careers, not their fingers.

So they signed up for Pop: 101.

Lonestar
08-31-2005, 05:29 PM
[QUOTE=Trainwreck2100]The obvious diff. being those two were starters, these two are starting caliber players coming off the bench.QUOTE]

Exactly!! They already know their role and there is very little pressure. They will both prolong their careers with this move just like Robert Horry.

SpursWoman
08-31-2005, 06:20 PM

They may or not be gravy training, but they are actually very good at the positions we WERE thinnest at.

2centsworth
08-31-2005, 06:24 PM
Bill Carnage has a better understanding of bitterness than he does gravy training.

biggerspursfanthanu
08-31-2005, 06:25 PM
Look when the suns find a starting shooting gurard you can have an opinion tool. Worry about your own team hater.

exstatic
08-31-2005, 06:47 PM
Payton and Malone weren't gravy trainers. GTs contribute nothing of value to the team. The best recent example I can think of is Mitch Richmond with the Lakers. Dude barely saw the floor, but he collected a ring.

biggerspursfanthanu
08-31-2005, 06:55 PM
Serioulsy its pretty sad thats all you can say to justify these excellent moves by the spurs. Your a douchebag!!!

marcus
08-31-2005, 07:07 PM

Malone almost didn't play because of his injury. Finley is totally fine, after all almost every team in the league went after him.

spurschick
08-31-2005, 07:27 PM
How is it considered gravy training when we asked them to be on the team?

maddnezz
08-31-2005, 07:39 PM
All that gravytraining mess will cease as soon as fin or nick hit a game winning shot! :fro

sickdsm
08-31-2005, 07:41 PM
C'mon, you guys probably didn't need them, but if Karl and payton were gravytraining, who's role was MUCH bigger with there team, why are these guys not?

Sense
08-31-2005, 07:43 PM
He had to post this right?

After he claimed many times he had no chance in San Antonio?

Oh, btw...

What happened to those letters begging him to go to PHX? :lol

ShoogarBear
08-31-2005, 08:01 PM
It is funny how everyone on this site crapped on LA and Miami for getting over the hill players for a final run at the finals. There are a few differences here, our guys come in knowing that they are backups(hopefully). But I do have some issues with these signings and chemistry is definitely one of the issues. These are actually are very good points, and I share your concerns. The major difference is this:

Payton and Malone joined the Kobe-Shaq Circus already in progress.

NVE and Finley are coming to the Tim Duncan Snoozefest/Love-In.

MI21
08-31-2005, 08:26 PM
The environment is so different with LA and San Antonio. Like Shoog said, they are joining a team that is very together and strict, we know LA wasn't like that. But the whole premise of 2 aging Vets joining a championship favourite is similar to the Payton and Malone one but you must remember Payton and Malone are huge names in NBA history, where as Nick Van Exel and Michael Finley aren't. It is not as grand as what the Lakers did in 2003/2004.

My main worry about this is the team is to stacked as it is. I hope moves are made to get rid of certain players. I don't fear any problems like LA had.

ShoogarBear
08-31-2005, 08:32 PM
My main worry about this is the team is to stacked as it is. I hope moves are made to get rid of certain players. I don't fear any problems like LA had.
Who do you think we need to get rid of? Rasho? I don't think he will squawk about minutes, and he'll be very servicable for what he's called to do now.

sickdsm
08-31-2005, 08:37 PM
Don't get me wrong, i don't think that its the same situation in that respects. But i think the whole gravytraining part is laughble that anyone would try to refute that.

Webster's has this explaination for gravytrain

a much exploited source of easy money

Since were talking about rings, not money, wouldn't the easier source be a team where your role is smaller?

Was shaq trying to gravytrain when he went to Miami bc his role there was going to be huge?

Useruser666
08-31-2005, 08:41 PM
Just wait till Garnet comes to SA to get his ring. :lol

ShoogarBear
08-31-2005, 08:43 PM
Just wait till Garnet comes to SA to get his ring. :lol
:lmao

Spurminator
08-31-2005, 08:45 PM
Hell yeah they're gravy-training. They basically said so themselves. But we're Spurs fans, not Finley and Van Exel fans, so we'll take it.

I think the reason Malone and Payton got more flak was because they had Hall of Fame careers but were missing the Championship from their resumes. Some people saw them going to the Lakers as a cheap attempt to erase their legacies as Losers. This was probably unfair, but Malone and Payton were not exactly the most beloved players by non-Jazz and Sonic fans.

Finley and NVE aren't exactly going to solidify any legacy here... they just want a taste of the ring.

T Park
08-31-2005, 08:46 PM
i knew the haters would come out and try and put their negative spin on it.

SequSpur
08-31-2005, 08:48 PM
Dallas should package Nowitski to Minnesota for Garnett and fucking rebuild.

That's their only chance.

sickdsm
08-31-2005, 09:00 PM
I'm sorry TPark, i was trying to discuss this with SPURS fans.

I know you might have gotten confused by the whole "gravytraining" but this thread wasn't about "now that we have finley and NVE, how many gravytraining fairweather fans will support the spurs?"

T Park
08-31-2005, 09:03 PM
I didn't know I was adressing you.

Also, Fuck you.

Who the fuck are you to judge me. You aint shit. Go fuck yourself.

MI21
08-31-2005, 09:12 PM
Who do you think we need to get rid of? Rasho? I don't think he will squawk about minutes, and he'll be very servicable for what he's called to do now.

I think the Rasho/Nazr situation needs to be sorted. Finley and Barry both good players who want minutes coming off the bench? Beno and NVE off the bench? Beno is young he wants a chance. The players aren't exactly the complaining type, but the team feels a little bit too stacked, not that that is a huge problem :lol

spurster
08-31-2005, 09:45 PM
Yeah, but they are our gravy trainers.

bigbendbruisebrother
08-31-2005, 10:04 PM

There's that word again. What does that MEAN!!!? If Rasho is serviceable, who (besides Angel Luv) is going to service him? Beno? And what good does Rasho's ability to get serviced do the team?

Supergirl
08-31-2005, 10:09 PM
No, I think that in a sense NVE and Finley are like payton and Malone - solid players who wanted their ring. And the Lakers might have gotten it, if Shaq and Kobe were better co-leaders, and if Malone hadn't gotten hurt. But there's the difference. NVE and Finley know their roles, but Duncan and Bowen are better leaders of this team. Also, outside of the big 4 on the Lakers, they were not as good as the Spurs are now. Spurs have a solid 12 man roster (the tough part might be picking who's on the playoff roster) in which everyone knows their role.

SpursChampsIII
08-31-2005, 10:11 PM

You've spouted so much shit in this thread that your eyes are brown. You are a lying/denying MF if you really say you care less if Johnson is gone. Without Johnson and Richardson, the Sun has already set on their season. Also, don/t even try to form your mouth to say you didn't want the Suns to get Finley.