PDA

View Full Version : Finley Starting over Bowen?

Boo
08-31-2005, 06:15 PM
What do you guys think about Finley starting over Bowen?

Nothing personal, just want to hear others opinions.

Manu20
08-31-2005, 06:16 PM
NO!

Like Kori said, Bowen will be useless of the bench.

Leetonidas
08-31-2005, 06:17 PM
Naw, not gonna happen. Finely isn't the better option, but he is probably the bench player in the league now.

sa_butta
08-31-2005, 06:18 PM

Nothing personal, just want to hear others opinions.No way Bowen knows the system too well and he is our defensive stopper, he is the starter.

FromWayDowntown
08-31-2005, 06:19 PM
This, to me, is about finding scoring off the bench (anyone remember Pop moving Manu to the bench against Denver, just to find some offensive continuity and spark?) while providing some insurance in case something happens to either Manu or Bruce.

The lineup stays intact.

maxpower
Let finley give the bench another scoring option...the starters have enough scoring punch.

Kori Ellis
Hell no.

Finley is coming here for a bench role. Pop told him that in Chicago. Bowen will start and continue to stop the top perimeter players in the league.

Finley will flourish in a reserve role on this Spurs team. Side notes, Finley is coming off ankle surgery, has reoccuring hamstring problems, etc.

The Spurs are deep as the ocean. Life is good.

BruceBowenFan
that's bull we all know finel and axel will come straight off the bench

ObiwanGinobili
08-31-2005, 06:20 PM

Nothing personal, just want to hear others opinions.

NO!

thats plumb ridicules.
Finley ain't god. But Bowen sure is.... he's the God of all Defense... you do not bench the God of all Defense. :fro

timvp
08-31-2005, 06:21 PM
This, to me, is about finding scoring off the bench (anyone remember Pop moving Manu to the bench against Denver, just to find some offensive continuity and spark?) while providing some insurance in case something happens to either Manu or Bruce.

The lineup stays intact.

:tu

FromWayDowntown
08-31-2005, 06:21 PM
The Spurs are deep as the ocean.

Billy Ocean?

Kori Ellis
08-31-2005, 06:22 PM
Billy Ocean?

:smokin

sa_butta
08-31-2005, 06:22 PM
Billy Ocean?Thats pretty deep.

2centsworth
08-31-2005, 06:23 PM
Hell NO! Bruce is the DPOY and the best defensive team is going to sit him, i don't think so.

shelshor
08-31-2005, 06:26 PM
No!
The Spurs will still need Bowen's defense, as a starter

biggerspursfanthanu
08-31-2005, 06:30 PM
Yeah finley can start, with a gun in his hand over bruces and pops dead bodies. Gotta play the D.

JamStone
08-31-2005, 06:35 PM
This is the issue you Spurs fans should most be cautious about, because Finley was even quoted as saying he believes he has a lot of basketball years left. I'm sure he wants to play as many minutes as possible and does not want to be reduced to a 16-18 bench role player. I think he may even have some issues if he doesn't get playing time in close games in the closing minutes of fourth quarters. It's something you as fans should monitor throughout the season to see if he accepts his role off the bench.

Don't get me wrong, it's still a GREAT SIGNING. And, I think it will work out for the Spurs very well. I just think I would watch out for any disgruntled feelings when and if Finley doesn't get the playing time he feels he deserves.

romsey31
08-31-2005, 07:22 PM
NO!

thats plumb ridicules.
Finley ain't god. But Bowen sure is.... he's the God of all Defense... you do not bench the God of all Defense. :fro

If hes god what would Artest be :)

Boo
08-31-2005, 07:26 PM
If hes god what would Artest be :)

Mike Tyson.

Dingle Barry
08-31-2005, 07:55 PM
We need every last drop of sweet Bowen goodness we can get before he retires.

angel_luv
08-31-2005, 08:38 PM
Awesome job with the photo shop! = )

Horry For 3!
08-31-2005, 10:05 PM
It won't happen. Finley will be the 6th man.

Supreme Allah
08-31-2005, 10:12 PM
We need every last drop of sweet Bowen goodness we can get before he retires.

Nucca you Nasty!!!!

batman2883
08-31-2005, 10:14 PM
6th man of the year goes to two players this year, NVE and Mike Finley

Trainwreck2100
08-31-2005, 10:14 PM
Nope, Bowen takes care of the league's best players, and when they get put on the bench, he will get replace by Finley who will school any second team.

bigbendbruisebrother
08-31-2005, 10:18 PM
I for one believe that Finley-after the injuries and missed opportunities--relishes the idea of coming off the bench and keeping the wear and tear to a minimum. He just significantly extended his longevity as a player.

Chris
08-31-2005, 10:25 PM
I think Pop will start Finley in situational/pivotal games similar to Brent Barry starting over Manu in the 2005 playoffs. There may be times when the other team's SF won't require the legendary Bruce Bowen defense. It remains to be seen but I think Bowen's mpg will have a significant decrease.

FromWayDowntown
08-31-2005, 10:34 PM
I think Pop will start Finley in situational/pivotal games similar to Brent Barry starting over Manu in the 2005 playoffs. There may be times when the other team's SF won't require the legendary Bruce Bowen defense. It remains to be seen but I think Bowen's mpg will have a significant decrease.

Pop didn't start Barry because the Spurs faced pivotal games against Denver and Seattle. Pop started Barry because the Spurs desperately needed an offensive force coming off the bench, and only Manu could realistically step back and provide that. The point of signing Finley isn't to change the starting lineup. It's to make sure that Pop won't have to put Manu on the bench against deep teams to ensure that the Spurs maintain offensive continuity.

Unless Pop has changed his philosophy since June 23, he's all about keeping things consistent -- that means you won't see much game-by-game tweaking of the starting lineup unless there are major injuries or a surprising decline from a starter.

I do think that Finley and Barry allow Pop to limit the minutes that Manu and Bruce play during the regular season without sacrificing games for that purpose. But in saving minutes, it will be the substitution pattern that changes, not the lineup.

smdanss
08-31-2005, 10:35 PM
No.
Bowen will always be a great starter for the Spurs to dismiss the opponent top scorer, such as Allen, Carter, Wade, Marrion, Rip, Billup, etc.
Finley may play 2 or 3 when Manu or Bowen needs rest, or the Spurs need to adjust some play by occassions.

Cant_Be_Faded
08-31-2005, 10:35 PM
LOL

Bowen is going to DS kobe bryant this year

DS him i say!