PDA

View Full Version : So what changes are you making..if any..

JoeChalupa
08-31-2005, 07:10 PM
To offset the high price of gas?

Please excuse if this has been discussed in another thread.

I myself have cut going for lunch at work and have been taking my lunch everyday. We also cut off some extras on our cell phone to save some bucks.
Dropping Blockbuster (NetFlix).
Are cutting our land line.
The cable may be next.

N.Y. Johnny
08-31-2005, 07:11 PM
None

Shelly
08-31-2005, 07:11 PM
Nada

JoeChalupa
08-31-2005, 07:20 PM
Damn...don't I feel like a cheap bastard.

ObiwanGinobili
08-31-2005, 07:27 PM
i don't have a car.

VIA baby. $20 a month.

Vashner
08-31-2005, 07:29 PM
Buying more ammo, water and food stash.

Shelly
08-31-2005, 07:29 PM

No need. You do whatcha gotta do. :)

KEDA
08-31-2005, 07:30 PM
only going from home to work, and to the bowling center

it is 9 miles to work and the Brunswick is 2 miles down the street.

JoeChalupa
08-31-2005, 07:30 PM
i don't have a car.

VIA baby. $20 a month.

That's what I am talkin' about....right there!!

http://img330.imageshack.us/img330/9035/weaponofchoice2wn3ak.gif

SpursWoman
08-31-2005, 07:32 PM

:lol

You're not alone ... I had already started bringing my own lunch, and was about to cut Netflix...but only because I don't watch enough movies to justify $20/month.

Vashner
08-31-2005, 07:32 PM
No car?
I love the sound of sweet Saudi juice flowing thru my fuel injectors....

Ginofan
08-31-2005, 07:41 PM

You're not alone ... I had already started bringing my own lunch, and was about to cut Netflix...but only because I don't watch enough movies to justify $20/month.

Same here, bringing my own breakfast and lunch to work instead of buying...partly because of the gas prices but partly trying to eat better too. If this $3/gal stays more than a week, i'll have to start car pooling or something.

JoeChalupa
08-31-2005, 07:44 PM
I definitely eat better.

spurschick
08-31-2005, 07:45 PM
Seriously looking into a hybrid car

Vashner
08-31-2005, 07:45 PM
You now what sucks? Nissan Titan.. it's a joke.. 8-10 mpg... and it's SUV varient 8 mpg at base unloaded...

Friggin full size 18 wheeler can get 8 mpg....

ObiwanGinobili
08-31-2005, 07:47 PM
Seriously looking into a hybrid car

you get a nice fat deduction on your taxes for that. :tu

Hook Dem
08-31-2005, 07:48 PM
People can say all they want that they won't change anything Joe, but just sit back and watch. I think you are smart to make the moves before the pain sets in. Look for lines at gas stations again if production doesn't get rolling soon. I also think they want to put the pinch on for Labor Day Weekend so people won't go hog wild for that last summer fling. If Gas stays at $3, the pain will make a lot of cars stay parked.

Cant_Be_Faded
08-31-2005, 07:49 PM
planning ahead alot
so that i can kill more birds with one stone

MannyIsGod
08-31-2005, 07:51 PM
I really have seen more people on Via lately. And many of them dress as if they are going to professional jobs which shouldn't be low paying.

Its not a bad option, and if more people would use it, the speed of the trips would be faster.

It takes me about 45 minutes to get to work each day and the same back. Its about 25 or so when I drive, but can be longer in the afternoon depending on traffic on 281. But this way I get to read a lot more. It is a good place to do reading for school and I don't have to deal with road rage. Anyone in the car with me has probably seen me flick someone off. (Ask Patrick about the "no way dude, I'm white and he'll shank me story. Some of you may remember that :lol) I also get to walk some, and thats a good thing as well.

There are negatives, and it definetly sucks some days, but I try to keep focused on how my bus pass costs 5 bucks a month and I could pay that on 2 gallons of gas. Well, less gas than that now.

JoeChalupa
08-31-2005, 07:54 PM
No need. You do whatcha gotta do. :)

I know...you know how I am. :lol

MannyIsGod
08-31-2005, 07:57 PM
Also, on the weekends Jess and I try not to drive. We've made days out of going to the movies and grabbing something to eat without getting behind the wheel but just ridding the bus. It's not bad, and it gives us time to unwind.

Shelly
08-31-2005, 07:58 PM
Well, for me, it's a no brainer since I work at home :)

For my husband, he doesn't have much choice on the car thing and admitally our cars get shitty gas mileage, but that was our choice so I don't complain about the gas prices. And he can eat for free at the hospital. The other day he had kangaroo meat. ewwwwww!

MannyIsGod
08-31-2005, 08:01 PM
Yeah, its not an option for everyone, but I think some people would be suprised at how well it woudl work for them.

Zombie
08-31-2005, 08:01 PM
I am buying enough beer the first time so I don't have to go back. :drunk

MannyIsGod
08-31-2005, 08:02 PM

I know you're a trucker, but you're not an owner operator are you? I'd fucking hate to be an owner/op paying for diesel right now. They probably don't make shit.

Shelly
08-31-2005, 08:05 PM

This just in: Beer prices rise in America.

Hook Dem
08-31-2005, 08:09 PM
This just in: Beer prices rise in America.
Well, there goes the neighborhood! :lol

Cant_Be_Faded
08-31-2005, 08:10 PM
theoretically, doesn't everything pretty much have to rise in price if gas jumps alot higher?

Zombie
08-31-2005, 08:12 PM

I know you're a trucker, but you're not an owner operator are you? I'd fucking hate to be an owner/op paying for diesel right now. They probably don't make shit.
Fuck That O/O shit!!!
I am running into more and more O/O's that lost their trucks and are company drivers now. It's really sad to see, I have a bunch of companies calling me trying to get me to lease a truck. I just laugh at them and say, are you gonna pay for the fuel, then hang up on them.

MannyIsGod
08-31-2005, 08:16 PM
theoretically, doesn't everything pretty much have to rise in price if gas jumps alot higher?
Depends on where you are I guess. Denver's merchendise has to travel much further on truck or other gas using means than San Antonio. We're close to Houston so we're not going to see it go up that much, or so I would imagine.

MannyIsGod
08-31-2005, 08:16 PM
Fuck That O/O shit!!!
I am running into more and more O/O's that lost their trucks and are company drivers now. It's really sad to see, I have a bunch of companies calling me trying to get me to lease a truck. I just laugh at them and say, are you gonna pay for the fuel, then hang up on them.
Yeah, when I was a dispatcher 2 years ago it was already hard to operate and make money, I can't imagine it now.

Cant_Be_Faded
08-31-2005, 08:22 PM
its sooo weird here in austin

around noon i went to do shit and a 7/11 had gas at 2.47 (!!!) the stores near my apt had 2.67 and a Texaco that usually has the lowest gas on the next street had gas at 2.87

two eighty seven! i actually saw fools gassing up there too

Faccia di Angelo
08-31-2005, 08:23 PM
None
none? none?? Isn't your truck a gas guzzler?? Well since you're not making any changes and can afford it all you can pay for my gas too. It doesn't take that much to fill. :)

I don't think I'll be driving as much anymore on the weekends to go to stores just to shop around. Not worth the money. I've already tried to stop buying things I don't really need. I usually don't go out for lunch so thats good. And if things get real bad I'll probably also start carpooling with another friend at work. Anything to help cause this is really stretching my money. Looks like more overtime for me soon. :bang

Shelly
08-31-2005, 08:27 PM
Fuck That O/O shit!!!

Isn't that what Fedex does? Does UPS also?

SequSpur
08-31-2005, 08:30 PM
Everyone is going to be making some cuts in some form or fashion.

This gas price shit is going to drive up the cost of everything in the next few days.

spurschick
08-31-2005, 08:36 PM
A lot of posters are too young to remember the energy crisis of the 70s, but people started talking then about how they could conserve energy and how we needed to find other forms of it and stop depending on foreign oil.

That lasted for about 10 minutes once gas prices went down. Granted, there was research on other forms of energy and such, but basically our response to the energy crisis of the 70s was to build bigger cars. We built bigger trucks, SUVs... who really needs a Humvee?! Seriously?!

MannyIsGod
08-31-2005, 08:42 PM
Well, this time gas prices aren't ever going back down.

Zombie
08-31-2005, 08:43 PM
Isn't that what Fedex does? Does UPS also?
Most Fedex drivers are O/O but UPS is company union drivers.

scott
08-31-2005, 08:47 PM
So what changes are you making..if any..

I'm going to put more effort into encouraging people to buy more gas.

NZHayden
08-31-2005, 08:48 PM
47% of the price of fuel we pay for over here goes to the government, for what you may be asking. for roads, well just the other day i had to change my tyre cause it burst in a pot hole, wheres my fucken road mrs government

NZHayden
08-31-2005, 08:49 PM
fuel went up to $1.55 a litre yesterday, thats about $4 a gallon in the usa

Shelly
08-31-2005, 08:51 PM
47% of the price of fuel we pay for over here goes to the government, for what you may be asking. for roads, well just the other day i had to change my tyre cause it burst in a pot hole, wheres my fucken road mrs government

Don't feel bad. I bent 4 rims (although, I think my husband was just as responsible--which he denies) due to our lovely roads here.

sickdsm
08-31-2005, 08:55 PM
MN just enacted a standard of ALL diesel sold in the state now has to be 2% biodiesel.

Support agriculture.

Biodieself and ethanol still mean you can drive a gas guzzler and lets be honest, wouldn't you rather subsidize a farmer than have our troops guarding an oil supply?

N.Y. Johnny
08-31-2005, 08:56 PM
none? none?? Isn't your truck a gas guzzler?? Well since you're not making any changes and can afford it all you can pay for my gas too. It doesn't take that much to fill. :)

which one?
The Escalade or The Tahoe baby :smokin

Faccia di Angelo
08-31-2005, 09:04 PM
That lasted for about 10 minutes once gas prices went down. Granted, there was research on other forms of energy and such, but basically our response to the energy crisis of the 70s was to build bigger cars. We built bigger trucks, SUVs... who really needs a Humvee?! Seriously?!
NY Johnny lol
Or at least back in NY.
Those new H3's look like jeeps if you ask me.

which one?
The Escalade or The Tahoe baby

oh yeah, I forgot about the other one. God I hate you.
time to waste the gas in that escalade :spin

Faccia di Angelo
08-31-2005, 09:07 PM
I heard Hawaii put a cap into place for rising gas prices. Why can't we do that? Things seriously are going to come to a halt aren't they if those prices go up to 4/5 dollars a gallon?
No more driving around on a two dollar tank lol

Clandestino
08-31-2005, 09:26 PM
no changes here.. i already drive my motorcycle as much as possible because i like. suv any other time.

btw. highest i've seen gas in sa is 2.99 at the shell on i-10/huebner... everyone else had it at 2.85.. i'm talking premium though.

Useruser666
08-31-2005, 09:32 PM
I'll guess I'll pitch in and do my part. I'm going to stop towing that Tahoe around behind my truck just for fun.

ZStomp
08-31-2005, 09:49 PM
None

Must be nice when you're rich.

Vashner
08-31-2005, 10:19 PM
I heard Hawaii put a cap into place for rising gas prices. Why can't we do that? Things seriously are going to come to a halt aren't they if those prices go up to 4/5 dollars a gallon?
No more driving around on a two dollar tank lol

Because it's stupid...

Hawaii has the highest tax per gallon. They pay only a few cents more than average...

The last state that tried a price cap got screwed... cause they have plenty of people that will buy the gas.. then Hawaii will have a supply issue and it will only make things twice as bad cause no refiner will want to deal with them when they can get 20 cents more in Cali.

T Park
08-31-2005, 10:22 PM
I'd fucking hate to be an owner/op paying for diesel right now

Im an owner operator.

but dont make money on moving the trucks.

If they would get rid of the fuckin taxes on the goddamn fuel, it would drop prices about 50 60 cents.

Every little bit helps.

Kori Ellis
08-31-2005, 10:23 PM
So I guess y'all are going to carpool to our house for the GTG on Saturday?

Sorry we live so far out of the way :(

ObiwanGinobili
08-31-2005, 10:24 PM
Also, on the weekends Jess and I try not to drive. We've made days out of going to the movies and grabbing something to eat without getting behind the wheel but just ridding the bus. It's not bad, and it gives us time to unwind.

yeah we do the same.
hop the bus saturday morning, get breakfast, go grocery shopping, go home and veg..... :princess chillin the whole time not having to worry about parking or traffic...it's nice.

T Park
08-31-2005, 10:24 PM
who really needs a Humvee?! Seriously?!

Who needs alot of stuff.

There is some stuff you use Spurschick that you dont NEED.

If someone wants a Hummer, get a goddamn hummer.

batman2883
08-31-2005, 10:26 PM
Shit i wish i could make changes but i go to work at 8 in the morning get off at 5 and go straight to NW Vista, I have to waste gas.

Spam
09-01-2005, 05:56 AM
Who needs alot of stuff.

There is some stuff you use Spurschick that you dont NEED.

If someone wants a Hummer, get a goddamn hummer.

I haven't had a good hummer in awhile.

Hook Dem
09-01-2005, 09:52 AM
Well, this time gas prices aren't ever going back down.
You may be right Manny! Back in the seventies, sugar was in shortage and it skyrocketed in price. It, in turn, caused other products such as cookies and candies to skyrocket. Later, sugar came back back in line price wise. Cookies and candies never went back down. This needs to be watched closely. Just so you know, a package of Oreos back then was about 79 cents and it went immediately to about $2. Inflation thrown in, it's about $3 now.

SpursWoman
09-01-2005, 10:13 AM
Just so you know, a package of Oreos back then was about 79 cents and it went immediately to about $2. Inflation thrown in, it's about $3 now.

Oreos are more than that. :oops :nerd

I don't think gas prices are going down again, ever. :(

1Parker1
09-01-2005, 10:14 AM
yeah we do the same.
hop the bus saturday morning, get breakfast, go grocery shopping, go home and veg..... :princess chillin the whole time not having to worry about parking or traffic...it's nice.

See, you guys are lucky in SA. Out bus and subway system in Philly is usually jam packed with people, plus there's usually a lot of traffic, and everything is far from me :depressed

The biggest thing I'm doing to help myself with these high gas prices is keeping away from the Mall! :angel

1Parker1
09-01-2005, 10:16 AM
I don't think gas prices are going down again, ever. :(

Please don't say that! Although I did hear that on GMA this morning. They said that these $3+ gas prices could last a week, a month, a year, even more.....no one knows. :depressed

It sucks for me because these days I am always running back and forth between work and school during the week.....and they are a good hour apart from eachother. If I decided to use Philadelphia Public Transportation, I would have to allow myself a 2 and half hour cushion to get to each location :(

MannyIsGod
09-01-2005, 10:17 AM
They could come down to about 2.50, but the days of cheap gas are gone.

SWC Bonfire
09-01-2005, 10:19 AM
If they would get rid of the fuckin taxes on the goddamn fuel, it would drop prices about 50 60 cents.

No, I think fuel tax in Texas is 38.4 cents/gallon.

If you operate off road, you can buy red dyed diesel and eliminate road taxes.

But prices are still way high.

1Parker1
09-01-2005, 10:20 AM
Did anyone fill up for gas today? How much was it for unleaded? Here in Philly, I filled up for around $3.14 this morning.

SWC Bonfire
09-01-2005, 10:28 AM
If you operate off road, you can buy red dyed diesel and eliminate road taxes.

I should mention that the fine for running dyed fuel in a highway vehicle is like $200 + $10/gal in the vehicle.

bigzak25
09-01-2005, 10:31 AM
To offset the high price of gas?

Please excuse if this has been discussed in another thread.

I myself have cut going for lunch at work and have been taking my lunch everyday. We also cut off some extras on our cell phone to save some bucks.
Dropping Blockbuster (NetFlix).
Are cutting our land line.
The cable may be next.

i'm giving my car to my Aunt and letting her worry about it....:lmao

ObiwanGinobili
09-01-2005, 10:46 AM
See, you guys are lucky in SA. Out bus and subway system in Philly is usually jam packed with people, plus there's usually a lot of traffic, and everything is far from me :depressed

The biggest thing I'm doing to help myself with these high gas prices is keeping away from the Mall! :angel

wel lwe were voted best public trans system in the nation a few years back :tu. I feel dang lucky casue other texas cities do not in anyway have anythign near the kinda great public trans that we do.

tlongII
09-01-2005, 11:23 AM
I'm learning how to use a siphon.

SpursWoman
09-01-2005, 11:25 AM

Be sure not to suck too hard, that first blast of gas in your mouth is just damn-nasty. :lmao :lmao

Sportcamper
09-01-2005, 11:47 AM
Dang...That SW can rock your world! :lol

Hook Dem
09-01-2005, 01:16 PM
You laugh but that was a way of life when I was in high school back in the 50's. We even picked up coke bottles(which had a deposit then) to get gas money. You had better start looking for a lock gas cap now. If your car is parked outside(san antonio is terrible), you may not have any gas the next morning. I know what I'm saying will come to pass. Hmmmmmmm...I think I'll teach my neighbor a good lesson.

Horry For 3!
09-01-2005, 01:18 PM
I haven't done anything different.

GoldToe
09-01-2005, 04:58 PM
Looks like I'll be wearing my socks longer than usual.

bigzak25
09-01-2005, 06:35 PM

NEVER EVER EVER....SIPHON GAS FROM A MOBILE HOME UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING.... :hang :shootme

Clandestino
09-01-2005, 06:42 PM
i'd say gas will go down to 2.00 and hang around there.... the 1.50 and shit we were paying was way too cheap