PDA

View Full Version : Assuming Tim and Manu retires next season..The team next year?

apalisoc_9
01-03-2015, 12:59 AM
Possible Prospects for next year?

Daye, Ayres, Marco, Matt, Danny are all UFA next year.

- Danny is obviously Priority here. He will be Resigned, IMO. Ayres, Daye will not be resigned..Matt will probably retire and pursue something different..His 1 year deal has retirement written all over it..Not to mention he will be 35 next year. Marco is a huge question mark, but I'm guessing they'd bring him back next year.

Kawhi and Joseph are both RFA

-Kawhi is getting the max and will surely be back. Pop loves him. He loves playing here..Joseph is a question mark, but I'm assuming he's out next year..Not that the spurs doesn't like him, but he probably will look for a bigger role and ask the organization not match.

Parker, Mills, Diaw, Splitter, Anderson have contracts that go beyond 2015-2016

Draft Rights

Hanga, Livio-Charles, Bertans

- If I'd have to pick a player that has a legit chance of making the team next year, It's Bertans..but the spurs will most likely not bring any of them. tbh, they look underwhelming in Euro ball.

That leaves.

Kawhi
Danny
Tiago
Marco
Patty
Tony
Boris
Baynes

- As you can see every position have holes to fill..The spurs biggest holes next year are both the SF and PF-C position though.

Here are the list for UFA's next year..

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11377133/nba-free-agents-2015-2016

If they are going to sign someone big, it's most likely going to be PF-C. The SG and PG positions don't have big names that are UFA next year..Dragix though is most likely going to opt out but with Parker and Mills in the team, it's unlikely the spurs sign him.

Some Name I like smaller-Mid deals..

PF-C
Amir Johnson
Nick collison

- Tbh, Amir is a top 5 favorite player of mine in the league..

PG-SG
Gary Neal
Marcus Thornton

- With the current team, the spurs will probably look for a 3rd player of the bench PG and 2nd unit SG to replace Danny and add another playmaker/scorer..Neal would be a great spark of the bench. Thornton will probably be cheap too. The others in the list are all 2 unit PG's that won't accept being a 3rd string PG and guys like Williams will be too expensive.

SF-SG

-Xavier Henry
-Mba a Moute
-Rasul Butler

- Sadly, Butler is probably the biggest non star SF name out there...But he might demand money.

That leaves big players like

Millsap
Aldrige
Gasol

It's hard for me to imagine the spurs being able to sign these players, even with the max..

They most likely going to end up signing a Darrel Arthur kinda player...Or just sign someone super xheap and wait for season 2016-2017

spursparker9
01-03-2015, 01:02 AM
Would be funny to see Neal and Beli scrambling to close out the opponents shooting 3.

Daniel Sedin
01-03-2015, 01:20 AM
We are going after Gasol hard I think.

Ditty
01-03-2015, 01:27 AM
Tank for Jaylen Brown

SpurPadre
01-03-2015, 02:08 AM
Bonner will never fucking leave.

rasuo214
01-03-2015, 02:15 AM
If the Spurs somehow get back on track and win the championship then Manu and Tim would have to return right? Do they pass on the chance of a 3-peat? Lets hope for that scenario.

gilmor
01-03-2015, 02:33 AM
If the Spurs somehow get back on track and win the championship then Manu and Tim would have to return right? Do they pass on the chance of a 3-peat? Lets hope for that scenario.

That's the only reason they would return.. I would say almost only reason..

DMC
01-03-2015, 03:43 AM
Obviously the OP thinks as long as Kawhi is playing, should be endless rings.

Mr Bones
01-03-2015, 05:22 AM
I noticed the other day that Paul Millsap has almost the exact same offensive and defensive rating as Kawhi on www.basketball-reference.com: http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&y1=2015&p1=leonaka01&y2=2015&p2=millspa01&p3=&p4=&p5=&p6=

Leonard and Millsap on the floor together would be an incredibly versatile duo. But he'll probably want a near max deal, and he seems to like playing in Atlanta. Same with Draymond Green, plus he's a restricted FA.

I think guys like Jonas Jerebko and Brandan Wright are more likely.

CGD
01-03-2015, 10:37 AM
Tim and Manu look great, so I wouldn't be surprised if they hang around a little longer regardless of whether the Spurs repeat or not. Tim in particular looks like he could go another 2 years.

If they do retire, they go hard after Gasol but its unlikely he leaves. More likely is that Spurs bring over their stashed players to see what they have. Daye and Ayers should give way to Bertans, JCL at a minimum. Frankly, on a Manu/TD less team I'm less inclined to give Danny big money to stay, even though he's been great for the Spurs.

Taking stock, the Spurs will have a solid PG rotation, production at the SF, and good depth at the center position. I've really enjoyed Cojo this year and Mills is a stud, but either can be traded for late picks without losing depth at the PG.

Mugen
01-03-2015, 11:57 AM
A fringe playoff team tbh.

PingPong
01-03-2015, 12:04 PM
Get rid of Ayers, Daye and Fagnelli, bring JM Green, find a top center/pf (Fatsol?), a good defensive/offense sg to replace manu and the spurs will be ready to threepeat.

Cklbmk
01-03-2015, 01:31 PM
I say swing for the fences and try for Gasol.

If you can't fall back on Monroe.

Then Amir or Millsap

Convince Danny to wait until the cap space is spent, Kawhi too.

Then resign them.

Grab someone amazing with the 20th~ pick.

Get into playoff position

Sign Tim Duncan at the deadline

Win win win

wildcardX
01-03-2015, 03:36 PM
I think one of the Euro players gets a roster spot and I'm interested to see who they draft.

Richie
01-03-2015, 03:58 PM
Good hard for Gasol. If he wants to sign, be willing to let Danny walk to get the space for him

lcroock
01-03-2015, 04:09 PM
Keep an eye on Al Jefferson. A big man who can share the court with Splitter.

cd021
01-03-2015, 04:31 PM
I'm kind of expecting the Spurs to run it back for the most part without TD & Manu. Hard to see players like Marc and Milsap leaving. If Love does leave Cleveland the L.O.Ls are probably the best bet. L.A. isn't leaving Portland. Hibbert may opt out but doesn't fit unless we move Splitter to the bench and find a starting 4 that can defend and space the floor.

I could see the Spurs making a run at Enes Kantor will only be 23 and has been productive in a fairly limited role since being taken 3rd in the draft. Golbert has been playing well and it would be interesting to see how high of an offer they will be willing to match.

PG-Parker/Mills/Cojo
SG-Green-FA/Belinelli/ 1st round pick
SF-Leonard/ Anderson
PF-Diaw/ Kantor/LJC
C-Splitter/Baynes

Maybe Bertans will come over as well.

cd021
01-03-2015, 05:09 PM
Good hard for Gasol. If he wants to sign, be willing to let Danny walk to get the space for him

Depends on how high the cap will be. Its probably going to be at least $66 million. Zach Lowe mentioned that several GMs think it will reach $70+ million. If it hits $68.5 then the Spurs could fit Gasol and then use bird rights for Leonard and Green. We could bring over LJC and use our 1st rounder to fill two roster spots on the cheap ($1.8 million combined). That would give us like 10 players for around $80 million.

apalisoc_9
01-03-2015, 05:17 PM
Depends on how high the cap will be. Its probably going to be at least $66 million. Zach Lowe mentioned that several GMs think it will reach $70+ million. If it hits $68.5 then the Spurs could fit Gasol and then use bird rights for Leonard and Green. We could bring over LJC and use our 1st rounder to fill two roster spots on the cheap ($1.8 million combined). That would give us like 10 players for around $80 million.

No way Leonard doesn't get max.

Cklbmk
01-03-2015, 05:19 PM

We have Danny's bird rights we can go over the cap for him. We wouldn't have to let him walk

Cklbmk
01-03-2015, 05:20 PM
Keep an eye on Al Jefferson. A big man who can share the court with Splitter.

Only on defense. They'd be a TERRIBLE offensive combo. They occupy the same space. No spacing. Every team would pack the paint which would make Parker ineffective

Cklbmk
01-03-2015, 05:22 PM

Do you not understand cap holds? We can go over the cap for Leonard. Him getting the max is completely irrelevant as it doesn't change his cap hold.

apalisoc_9
01-03-2015, 05:48 PM
Do you not understand cap holds? We can go over the cap for Leonard. Him getting the max is completely irrelevant as it doesn't change his cap hold.

I didn't read his post thoroughly...

Mouth is Bleeding
01-03-2015, 05:48 PM
I hope they don't retire, the old big 3 + elite Kawhi + great depth will remain a top 2 team in the league, but Gasol imagining himself slotting right in as a fantastic fit, upgrading tbh Timmy and the Spurs still a top 1 or 2 team for the title but now with Gasol as the centerpiece (why shouldn't they be? Manu might even take an extra year!) must be an appealing sell even if if he loves Memphis and every team in the league with money will come begging.

CGD
01-03-2015, 05:53 PM
Before his injury, I thought Brook Lopez could be in play. Although, he has a player option for next year at 16M, with the state of the Nets he may be looking to move on especially if Williams is traded. He's still young and able to fetch a decent long term deal to offset the guaranteed money. Not sure how serious his injury is though.

Mouth is Bleeding
01-03-2015, 05:56 PM
Marc Gasol coming would also be amazing for all the people always damning the Spurs for the David Robinson period immediately followed by Timmy...

Gasol isn't in that class of course but with how good the team is overall the impact would still be similarly elite and instant doom for all those fans of other teams just waiting (in secret or not) for Spurs to suffer like their pathetic teams have for years.

Richie
01-03-2015, 05:57 PM

We have Danny's bird rights we can go over the cap for him. We wouldn't have to let him walk

If the cap is $67m we'll only have around $15m in cap room with our guaranteed contracts, Kawhi and Dannys cap hold and the roster charges, not enough for Gasol.

If Gasol wants to come but demands the max we let Danny walk, giving us around $23m which is in excess of Gasols max. However, it seems quite un-Spurs to let a team veteran walk just to clear space for a free agent who might not sign here.

It's hard to speculate until we know the cap figure, but if the choice is between Marc Gasol and Danny Green then the correct decision is pretty obvious.

The Reckoning
01-03-2015, 06:12 PM
spurs won't get any of those players lol biggest sign they've had was diaw and nobody wanted him

rasuo214
01-03-2015, 06:30 PM
I'd rather keep Green than try and get Gasol (if the Spurs had to pick between the 2). There's a very slim chance Gasol will come to the Spurs, not worth the risk in losing a key player just to have a shot. Especially since I'm not sure Parker/???/Kawhi/Splitter/Gasol is that much better than Parker/Green/Kawhi/Diaw/Splitter.

aal04
01-03-2015, 06:38 PM
Tim and Manu arent going to free up that much cap space. There is no way we will get better value.

Id rather a young raw big with a good head on his shoulders than Gasol. Gasol is MVP for me so far this season, but he is like 30. Need to get a sub 25 year old

Richie
01-03-2015, 07:00 PM
Tim and Manu arent going to free up that much cap space. There is no way we will get better value.

Id rather a young raw big with a good head on his shoulders than Gasol. Gasol is MVP for me so far this season, but he is like 30. Need to get a sub 25 year old

Not all 30 year olds are built equal. Marc was 24 as a rookie and has only played around 17,000 minutes in the NBA including the playoffs. That's only 3,500 more minutes than 25 year old Ibaka and 23,000 less than 30 year old Lebron for example. No need to worry about his age, his body just doesn't have the NBA mileage that other players have.

Richie
01-03-2015, 07:04 PM
I'd rather keep Green than try and get Gasol (if the Spurs had to pick between the 2). There's a very slim chance Gasol will come to the Spurs, not worth the risk in losing a key player just to have a shot. Especially since I'm not sure Parker/???/Kawhi/Splitter/Gasol is that much better than Parker/Green/Kawhi/Diaw/Splitter.

You might be right about keeping Green instead of rolling the dice and possibly missing on Gasol, but lets say hypothetically Gasol calls Buford and says 'give me the max and I'm a Spur' would you seriously say no in favour of re-signing Green? I can't believe anyone would really think we're a better team with Danny Green over Marc Gasol.

rasuo214
01-03-2015, 07:24 PM
You might be right about keeping Green instead of rolling the dice and possibly missing on Gasol, but lets say hypothetically Gasol calls Buford and says 'give me the max and I'm a Spur' would you seriously say no in favour of re-signing Green? I can't believe anyone would really think we're a better team with Danny Green over Marc Gasol.

Well that's a bit different. I'd still like to know who replaces Green though. It's not so much who is the better player between Green and Gasol (the answer is obviously Gasol) but what gives the Spurs the better team.

BillMc
01-03-2015, 07:33 PM
Might be wishful thinking on my part, I am not so sure the basic assumption is correct. Tim has never hinted at retirement next year, it has all been speculation from fans and media. Last I recall he said he'd go until the wheels fell off. And those wheels are looking pretty good as he's still a Top 5 big in this league when you consider both sides of the ball. Manu too could come back. I think the chances that BOTH retire after this season aren't that great, but I could be wrong I admit it.

ElNono
01-03-2015, 07:51 PM
Tank, tbh

Richie
01-03-2015, 07:55 PM
Might be wishful thinking on my part, I am not so sure the basic assumption is correct. Tim has never hinted at retirement next year, it has all been speculation from fans and media. Last I recall he said he'd go until the wheels fell off. And those wheels are looking pretty good as he's still a Top 5 big in this league when you consider both sides of the ball. Manu too could come back. I think the chances that BOTH retire after this season aren't that great, but I could be wrong I admit it.

This is yet another big question mark which makes this discussion so difficult. The main question if they return is how much do they want to make? Is $5m and $2.5m (Room Exception) enough for Timmy and Manu respectively? If so we could still have room for Gasol if we let Green go. If they want more then we should just bring everyone back and try and find someone short term with then $8m~ or so we will be left with

BillMc
01-03-2015, 08:04 PM
This is yet another big question mark which makes this discussion so difficult. The main question if they return is how much do they want to make? Is $5m and $2.5m (Room Exception) enough for Timmy and Manu respectively? If so we could still have room for Gasol if we let Green go. If they want more then we should just bring everyone back and try and find someone short term with then $8m~ or so we will be left with

You're right, it does cloud the picture. I would imagine Timmy and Manu would want salaries about what they have now. Also, I think letting Green go to try and get Gasol would be a mistake. He went to high school in Memphis (even though he's Spanish) and by all accounts is happy there. Doubt he leaves.

Richie
01-03-2015, 09:03 PM
You're right, it does cloud the picture. I would imagine Timmy and Manu would want salaries about what they have now. Also, I think letting Green go to try and get Gasol would be a mistake. He went to high school in Memphis (even though he's Spanish) and by all accounts is happy there. Doubt he leaves.

I agree, but at the same time if I'm the Spurs I'm not going to be trying to sign Danny to a contract on the first day of free agency. Let both the front office and Danny test the market to see what possibilities there are. I only let Green go if I'm certain Gasol is coming, otherwise I probably don't risk it.

cd021
01-03-2015, 09:39 PM
If the cap is $67m we'll only have around $15m in cap room with our guaranteed contracts, Kawhi and Dannys cap hold and the roster charges, not enough for Gasol.

If Gasol wants to come but demands the max we let Danny walk, giving us around $23m which is in excess of Gasols max. However, it seems quite un-Spurs to let a team veteran walk just to clear space for a free agent who might not sign here.

It's hard to speculate until we know the cap figure, but if the choice is between Marc Gasol and Danny Green then the correct decision is pretty obvious.

Kyle Anderson

$ 1,142,879.00

Tony Parker

$ 13,437,500.00

Patty Mills

$ 3,578,947.00

Boris Diaw

$ 7,000,000.00

Tiago Splitter

$ 8,500,000.00

Livio Jean Charles

$ 918,000.00

Kawhi Leonard

$ 7,200,000.00

Danny Green

$ 7,600,000.00

1st Round Pick $918,000.00
-------------------------------------------
$50.3

If we take out LJC and the 1st rounder then it will be $48.5 million for 7 players. That would be about $18 million in cap space assuming it goes to $66.3 million (projected to go that high) Its been mentioned that the NBA may "smooth" out the gigantic cap jump by raising the cap each season. The Cap will reach around $88 million. If they split the $26 million over the next 3 seasons it would push the cap to around $72 million.

If it goes to $72 million the Spurs would have around $24 million to spend. They could give Gasol a 4 years, $80 million deal. and have around $4 million to spend. They will probably bring over LJC and they could use their 1st rounder for a cheap roster spot. Then they could use bird rights for KL and Green.

cd021
01-03-2015, 09:41 PM

I assumed Leonard would be getting the max. I put his salary at $16.6 million, though the $80 million figure would be closer to $81 million.

Richie
01-03-2015, 09:47 PM
If we take out LJC and the 1st rounder then it will be $48.5 million for 7 players. That would be about $18 million in cap space assuming it goes to $66.3 million (projected to go that high) Its been mentioned that the NBA may "smooth" out the gigantic cap jump by raising the cap each season. The Cap will reach around $88 million. If they split the $26 million over the next 3 seasons it would push the cap to around $72 million.

If we only have 7 players, you're forgetting 5 roster cap holds of $550,000 each, totalling $2.75m, giving us closer to the $15m I mentioned.

Also, Cap smoothing isn't as easy as it sounds considering it would be going against the CBA.

Cklbmk
01-03-2015, 11:27 PM

Tbh the choice becomes Tiago and Marc Gasol

You think the Spurs pay tiago 8.5mil to come off the bench?

They'd just trade him off for nothing / small asset / give up a small asset.

DG way better than trying to make Gasol and Splitter work on O.

Parker- Green- Kawhi- Diaw- Gasol
Mills- ??(Beli for min?) - Anderson- J. Green - Baynes

Still a threat

Johnny RIngo
01-03-2015, 11:38 PM

Still a threat

What makes you think they wouldn't work well together on offense? Their offensive games aren't similar at all. Splitter plays inside while Marc can stretch the floor. They'd make a great duo imo.

Richie
01-03-2015, 11:48 PM

Still a threat

Marc Gasol can do everything that 38 year old Timmy can do, except most things he does better. If Tiago and Timmy can work together, then Gasol will be an easy fit.

I think it's easier to find another perimeter defender than it is to find a big man that can give us everything that Tiago gives us. I remember the years of Timmy struggling next to Bonner/Blair/McDyess when we were dying for another 7 footer, for me Tiago is more valuable than Green.

cjw
01-04-2015, 12:46 AM
Same with Draymond Green, plus he's a restricted FA.

I think guys like Jonas Jerebko and Brandan Wright are more likely.

I pray someone throws a ridiculous contract at Green that the W's are forced to match. Put them into luxury tax hell to limit end of roster flexibility.

Will be interesting to see what the Celtics do with Wright - imagine him in Portland.

wildchild
01-04-2015, 10:15 AM
Tank, tbh
Despite the sarcasm, that's not the obvious way, it's possible to avoid the tank process and still build a contender.
Maybe the Rockets aren't the typical example, but after T-Mac/Yao era they didn't draft in the top 10 last six years and never finished below 9th seed.

Even with the new TV deal, I'm not sure after Tony's contract if the Spurs are in a position to make a big move in future years, 2016 or 2017. But at least next summer if Aldridge, Gasol or big star free agent like them aren't willing to play in San Antonio, the Spurs can still lure mid talent to keep a competitive team.

Richie
01-04-2015, 10:34 AM
I pray someone throws a ridiculous contract at Green that the W's are forced to match. Put them into luxury tax hell to limit end of roster flexibility.

Will be interesting to see what the Celtics do with Wright - imagine him in Portland.

I think the playoffs will be a big decider for Green, but I think he's heading for $12m+ per year.

More interesting for the Warriors is Harrison Barnes. I think he's gonna be a really good player and I expect him to get around the same as Green, which would kill the Warriors in tax.

100%duncan
01-04-2015, 11:45 AM
Tank, tbh

Mr Bones
01-04-2015, 12:08 PM

Yeah, after giving big contracts to Curry and Thompson, Green could possibly be the Warriors' first sacrifice.... If they can't unload David Lee's contract, they'd be far into luxury tax giving Green even $8 or $9 mil, and Green's the kind of versatile player that any team would want... he'll get offers for sure.

Mel_13
01-04-2015, 12:15 PM
Aldridge and Gasol are pipe dreams. Not because the Spurs wouldn't sacrifice Green to get one of them, and not because free agents won't sign in San Antonio. They're pipe dreams because both players will get five year max contract offers from their current teams and both players will take those offers.

Johnny RIngo
01-04-2015, 11:58 PM
No more Timmy and Manu to carry the team? Declining Tony running the show? Ugh.

TheGreatYacht
01-05-2015, 04:52 AM
Tiago Splitter
Boris Diaw
Shawn Marion Jr
Danny Green
Tony Parker

tbh.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
01-05-2015, 10:24 AM

Still a threat

Why???

Have you watched Gasol Lately. Most of his shots are jumpshots. He plays away from the rim mostly while Zac occupies the post. Gasol's game is very similar to Duncan's at this point. And Duncan and Splitter work just fine on both ends of the court.

But Memphis has more cap space than the Spurs do next year. They will sign Gasol to the max. The only way he leaves is if he feels he can't win in Memphis. But Gasol seems like a loyal guy, so yeah, considering how well the Grizz's are playing this year, I don't see him leaving next year.

Spurs best bet is to sign Paul Millsap. Bud has shown that Millsap fits perfectly in the Spurs system at PF.

cd021
01-05-2015, 09:50 PM
If we only have 7 players, you're forgetting 5 roster cap holds of $550,000 each, totalling $2.75m, giving us closer to the $15m I mentioned.

Also, Cap smoothing isn't as easy as it sounds considering it would be going against the CBA.

Lowe mentioned that they were working with the PA on smoothing. I did forget about the roster holds. You're right then, in the sense that its an either or scenerio with Gasol and Green. Of course Gasol is highly unlikely to turn down $100 million at the age of 30 (regardless of how few miles he has on his body). Personally, I'd like our chances better if the Grizzlies lost in the first round and we go back to the conference finals or the NBA Finals for 4th or 3rd straight time.

I've been saying that I'd want the Spurs to pursue Paul Milsap but Atlanta has been playing great ball and it probably makes it more likely that he would resign. ATL has much more money to spend this off season than we do. Even if they give him a deal starting at $ 12 million they'd only have $56 million to 12 players and a pick in the teens or ,possibly, the lottery because of a pick swap with Brooklyn.

Enes Kantor would be an a pretty good option, If the Spurs strike out on some of the bigger named big men. He's been good and will only be 23 by this summer. 14 ppg and 7.5 rpg in 27 mpg. He has yet to really get significant playing time so its hard to say how good he could become. He backed up Milsap his first two seasons and has had to split time with Marvin Williams and Golbert over the past two seasons.

Golbert has been playing really well, and may the Jazz let him walk instead of potentially having to pay 3 big men in 2 years.

outmap
01-05-2015, 10:54 PM
I'd take a gamble on Monroe if Gasol/Aldridge don't pan out. He's gonna be cheaper too, around 50M/4year. If not, there's also Amir Johnson, even cheaper at 8M/annually.

DPG21920
01-05-2015, 11:01 PM
Ugh, I hope the Spurs don't go for Monroe. I really don't want Gasol/LA if Duncan/Manu retire. I'd rather them go younger. Gasol and LA would keep the Spurs very competitive for 3-4 more years, but the magic probably won't be there like it was with the big 3 and I'd rather just really push for the future.

I wouldn't be mad watching a solid playoff team with Gasol/Splitter/Green/Kawhi/TP, but my personal preference is to go young.

apalisoc_9
01-05-2015, 11:06 PM
going young is basically wasting Tiago and Tony's contract.

Just push hard for the next 3 years and then rebuild when Tony and Tiago are done, IMO.

DPG21920
01-05-2015, 11:13 PM
going young is basically wasting Tiago and Tony's contract.

Just push hard for the next 3 years and then rebuild when Tony and Tiago are done, IMO.

I'm not saying go "young" like crappy. I mean, just younger players than Gasol/LA. Spurs with TP/Danny/Kawhi/Boris/Tiago could be a playoff team. If they add quality players they can still be a playoff team. I just prefer those players to be a bit younger than Gasol.

Perhaps the difference in Gasol vs a young player is WCF vs 1st round, but who knows.

ElNono
01-05-2015, 11:16 PM
I don't like Aldrige at all... I don't think the Spurs could contend with him as the PF...

It's just going to be extremely tough when TD hangs em up