PDA

View Full Version : Rockets: Is Morey giving advanced stats a bad rep?

ElNono
01-03-2015, 01:59 AM
Unfortunately, he has been hailed as the poster child of number crunching and moneyball... and, if anything, he certainly doesn't seem to give a crap about other aspects such as player character, egos, fit, chemistry...

Advanced stats are a valuable tool in management's overall toolbox, but I'm wondering if they might take a hit with some of the questionable decisions made there...

Notice that the Rockets generally have a good team, this isn't a thread to bash them..

Thread
01-03-2015, 02:08 AM
...you got some fuckin' nerve. You conspired with Jackson to quit on his team to come play with your team, then had to call 911 to get him from beating the snot out of Pop.

Clean your own fuckin' house.

ElNono
01-03-2015, 02:39 AM
...you got some fuckin' nerve. You conspired with Jackson to quit on his team to come play with your team, then had to call 911 to get him from beating the snot out of Pop.

Clean your own fuckin' house.

Now that you took that off your chest, anything on Morey/advanced stats?

TDMVPDPOY
01-03-2015, 03:11 AM

he doesnt believe in advance stats, his only concern is 25-5-5 at all costs

lefty
01-03-2015, 04:52 AM
:lol advanced stats
:lol scam

Mr Bones
01-03-2015, 04:57 AM
No one interested in advanced stats would sign Josh Smith. He's pretty much a poster boy for negative advanced stats.

sook
01-03-2015, 05:11 AM
I don't think its all advance stats as ^^^ pointed out. Les the owner has a habit of this shit. Ever since he inherited the championship team, he has been going after big names and nothing else, with a total disregard for team fit.

But yea, Morey has really made me hate a lot of the obnoxious statards.

unleashbaynes
01-03-2015, 08:28 AM
:lol claiming to be a stat nerd
:lol getting josh smith

Thread
01-03-2015, 08:41 AM

No, I was just checkin' assholes.

AaronY
01-03-2015, 09:01 AM
:lol

benstanfield
01-03-2015, 11:09 AM
They have a pretty exciting team. Then again, you don't need advanced stats to tell you to sign Dwight and Harden. You would think if he really had the edge numbers-wise over other GMs their periphery players would all be steals. The salary cap is like 2/3 of the battle for a good GM. But who is Houston's third option? Who is their bench scorer? Why do they start an angry homeless man at point guard?

I think the problem with Moreys strategy of building through FA is that stratospheric contracts like Dwight's and Harden's when paired aren't conducive to playoff success. How many consecutive champions have had major contributors take huge pay cuts? Max contracts put butts in seats and win regular season games, but your 4-6m players are what makes good and bad GMs.

I still don't understand why all of the hype is put on stats nerds like Morey who seemingly have no real edge so to speak other than "take a lot of threes", when Vegas guys like Haralabob are making out like bandits against professional bookies. If I was a GM making ten million dollar decisions I would consult someone who made money fist over fist with an actual edge, and not someone who called themselves fat Elvis or whatever whose strategy was "sign Harden and shoot threes and layups".

Until Morey signs a guy for under 8m a year (not a rookie) who turns out to be a major cog, he's just the guy that signed Dwight and Harden. And McHail.

Double-Up
01-03-2015, 11:32 AM
They have a pretty exciting team. Then again, you don't need advanced stats to tell you to sign Dwight and Harden. You would think if he really had the edge numbers-wise over other GMs their periphery players would all be steals. The salary cap is like 2/3 of the battle for a good GM. But who is Houston's third option? Who is their bench scorer? Why do they start an angry homeless man at point guard?

I think the problem with Moreys strategy of building through FA is that stratospheric contracts like Dwight's and Harden's when paired aren't conducive to playoff success. How many consecutive champions have had major contributors take huge pay cuts? Max contracts put butts in seats and win regular season games, but your 4-6m players are what makes good and bad GMs.

I still don't understand why all of the hype is put on stats nerds like Morey who seemingly have no real edge so to speak other than "take a lot of threes", when Vegas guys like Haralabob are making out like bandits against professional bookies. If I was a GM making ten million dollar decisions I would consult someone who made money fist over fist with an actual edge, and not someone who called themselves fat Elvis or whatever whose strategy was "sign Harden and shoot threes and layups".

Until Morey signs a guy for under 8m a year (not a rookie) who turns out to be a major cog, he's just the guy that signed Dwight and Harden. And McHail.

Angry homeless man, nigga does need a cut on the real...:lol

Mr Bones
01-03-2015, 12:13 PM

Yeah, I agree. Throwing big money at big name stars is the easy part. The Spurs have gotten major production out of second round guys like Manu and D Green, got an all star PG (Parker) late in the first round, and converted a surprise late first round guy (G Hill) into a Finals MVP (Leonard) via trade. They also turned around Boris Diaw's career, who looked finished at Charlotte, and helped turn Green, who was cut by a cellar dwelling Cavalier team, into one of the better 3 & D swingmen in the league. They've developed Patty Mills and Cojo into quality back up PGs. And they've done this in an unglamorous city that doesn't attract young stars, and with an owner who doesn't outspend the wealthier teams in the league.

Thread
01-03-2015, 12:16 PM
^& everything you possess is due to your tank.

Mr Bones
01-03-2015, 12:18 PM
^& everything you possess is due to your tank.

?
Not sure what you mean.

Thread
01-03-2015, 12:40 PM
?
Not sure what you mean.

I'll just bet you are.

Mr Bones
01-03-2015, 01:02 PM
I'll just bet you are.

Ah. In the diction therein, and the sophistry reslung.

Shantih, shantih, shantih.

Splits
01-03-2015, 01:48 PM
Ah. In the diction therein, and the sophistry reslung.

Shantih, shantih, shantih.

He's just a jealous fuckknob whose hero was drafted 12th and rode the bench his first 3 years in the league before Daddy put the saddle on

Thread
01-03-2015, 03:24 PM
He's just a jealous fuckknob whose hero was drafted 12th and rode the bench his first 3 years in the league before Daddy put the saddle on

Then Kobe saved Daddy's precious ass in '00 up in Portland. But, Media doesn't talk about that as a rule. But, here, we're gonna talk about that as a rule.

And that's just the ways it's gonna be.

Splits
01-03-2015, 04:54 PM
Then Kobe saved Daddy's precious ass in '00 up in Portland. But, Media doesn't talk about that as a rule. But, here, we're gonna talk about that as a rule.

And that's just the ways it's gonna be.

Thats about as real of a story as Naruto and the sage of six paths

Bulaien999
01-03-2015, 07:45 PM
Word on the street, Dmo starting

djohn2oo8
05-07-2016, 07:20 PM
Rumors swirling he may be getting fired...

HarlemHeat37
05-07-2016, 07:27 PM
I hate that Morey is the name associated with advanced stats, tbh:lol

It would be warranted if he actually used his beliefs to build his teams, but he doesn't..he has built rosters full of players that advanced stats hate:lol..the only "metrics rule" he has consistency followed is the belief that a coach has minimal impact on a game..

midnightpulp
05-07-2016, 09:03 PM
I hate that Morey is the name associated with advanced stats, tbh:lol

It would be warranted if he actually used his beliefs to build his teams, but he doesn't..he has built rosters full of players that advanced stats hate:lol..the only "metrics rule" he has consistency followed is the belief that a coach has minimal impact on a game..

He's also rigidly followed the metrics supported idea that the best offense is heavy 3 point shooting balanced with penetration. But his teams have taken that idea to a somewhat absurd level. It also seems beyond him how that kind of style will turn your fastbreak defense into shit.

HarlemHeat37
05-07-2016, 09:10 PM
He's also rigidly followed the metrics supported idea that the best offense is heavy 3 point shooting balanced with penetration. But his teams have taken that idea to a somewhat absurd level. It also seems beyond him how that kind of style will turn your fastbreak defense into shit.

Technically, he's following that philosophy, but he hasn't actually added legit shooters:lol

It would make more sense if he wasn't relying on the horribly inconsistent Ariza, Patrick Beverley and the pathetic Corey Brewer to be his spot-up shooters:lol