PDA

View Full Version : Wine

Cant_Be_Faded
08-31-2005, 10:03 PM
I just cracked open a Robert Mondavi Private Selection Cabernet Sauvignon 2002 California.

It's pretty damn good. A tad too fruity for my tastes, but then again it is cabernet.

Anyone want to suggest a good red wine for me for next bottle?

The sone
08-31-2005, 10:07 PM
lindimens i think is what its called. the shiraz

T Park
08-31-2005, 10:27 PM
Me and My gf went wine tasting monday.

We got this great Pinot Noir Mondavi that they only made 300 cases of, and it was ranked 12th in the world.

They also have a Sauvignon Blanc from 96 that is to die for.

Want another good one??

Evolution 10 or Evolution 9.

Sokol Wineries in SO cal.

EXCELLENT stuff.

Cant_Be_Faded
08-31-2005, 10:32 PM
Me and My gf went wine tasting monday.

We got this great Pinot Noir Mondavi that they only made 300 cases of, and it was ranked 12th in the world.

They also have a Sauvignon Blanc from 96 that is to die for.

Want another good one??

Evolution 10 or Evolution 9.

Sokol Wineries in SO cal.

EXCELLENT stuff.

Sauvignon Blanc from 96 eh? Well i haven't seen any 90's vintages in any of hte stores i go to...so it might be outta my price range

Wine tasting is the shit man, i want to do that one day...my gf said she got so wasted when she went wine tasting in Australia.

Is Evolution the name of the brand?

T Park
08-31-2005, 10:35 PM
Evolution is the name of the wine yeah.

Sokol Wineries.

It was cool.

The quiet and the views were fantastic.

BTW, you said suggest a good red wine, you didnt specify were to get it :)

Cant_Be_Faded
08-31-2005, 10:37 PM
yeah, i meant a good red wine that can be found at your local heb/corner liquor store/albertsons etc

i'll make another thread for when i want expennnsivvve wine

Lately all i've been buying is Robert Mondavi Private Selections
they're not that bad...my favorite was a 2003 or 4 merlot

thispego
08-31-2005, 10:38 PM
get yellow tail shiraz, it's the shit, and cheap, kelly drinks it

Cant_Be_Faded
08-31-2005, 10:39 PM
get yellow tail shiraz, it's the shit, and cheap, kelly drinks it

shiraz must do a body good :lol

but in all seriousness, i dont like shiraz as much as i like the merlots and cabernets

but maybe i just haven't tried the right shiraz yet

Kori Ellis
08-31-2005, 10:40 PM
This is my favorite wine that I've ever had.

http://www.wineaccess.com/store/totalwine-cherryhill/ecommerce/product.html?product_id=10025053

You should be able to find the 2001 version at a local store which should be close to as good for about $35.

T Park
08-31-2005, 10:42 PM
We drove by Silverado Wineries, looked nice.

We plan on going back in November and making a 4 day weekend out of it.

Kind of a mini SIDEWAYS....

Cant_Be_Faded
08-31-2005, 10:47 PM
cool, thanks for the input everyone

MannyIsGod
09-01-2005, 12:21 AM
For some great cheap reds, look torwars Argentinian Malbecs. I know I've had several, but La Posta Del Vinatero was one of the best.

You can try ANYTHING by Casa La Pastole from Chile, they also have great values.

Chislom trail winery in the Hill Country has the best Cab I've ever had. It runs about 40 bucks for a bottle. It is their reserve, but it is one hell of a wine.

You can also try the Fall Creek Meritus and Granite Reserve. They are red blends. The Granite Reserve is super cheap and you can probably get it at almost any decent HEB.

If you wanta good white, try the Kim Crawford Sav Blanc. It's really fucking good! Sister Creek Winery has a great Chardonay, but the best wine I've ever had is their Muscat Canelli reserve and you can only get that at the winery. It's right north of Boerne if you want to take a small road trip. It's pretty awesome.

MannyIsGod
09-01-2005, 12:22 AM
Oh Terra Noble from Chilean has a great Cab. They are from Chile.

Cant_Be_Faded
09-01-2005, 12:23 AM
i haaate white wines

i get nauseous after a few sips

MannyIsGod
Damn, now I want a glass of wine.

MannyIsGod
i haaate white wines

You just haven't tried the right ones.

Cant_Be_Faded
09-01-2005, 12:29 AM
I'm almost done with my bottle. Sometimes when i start getting buzzed and drink an entire bottle, I like to brush my tongue and rinse alot, then continue drinking the bottle....its like a luscious flavourful explosion

(damn the 1st person who turns that into a sexual comment)

Cant_Be_Faded
09-01-2005, 12:32 AM
You just haven't tried the right ones.

Maybe. I am not experienced, but the shit my mom and her friend gets taste like spoiled fruity kool-aid.

I'm a redwine fan hands down.

The other day Ms. Faded and I tried this Pinot Noir from Transylvannia....it was pretty damn good, not too expensive judging from the per-glass costs

MannyIsGod
09-01-2005, 01:02 AM
:lol @ Mrs. Faded. You can get lots of good wine for cheap. The only reason certain wines cost so much is because of hype.

Cant_Be_Faded
09-01-2005, 01:12 AM
:lol @ Mrs. Faded. You can get lots of good wine for cheap. The only reason certain wines cost so much is because of hype.

well i've asked her time and time again to register on spurstalk and lurk, but she's too timid to even do that

dude tell jekka to recommend a wine too

Jekka
09-01-2005, 01:20 AM
I drink most wines with Manny - the only one I think I'd recommend that he hasn't mentioned is a French wine called Morgon 2002 "Cote du Py" - I was a bigger fan of it than Manny. The wine guy at Central Market recommended it to me as an alternative to super-expensive Burgundys - it had good flavor though, and was fairly mellow - but not in a dull way by any means.

Smoking Loon's Pinot Noir is also good for the price - it's pretty cheap but has good flavor if you let it breathe for a while (otherwise the tannins are a little much).

Cant_Be_Faded
09-01-2005, 01:41 AM
I drink most wines with Manny - the only one I think I'd recommend that he hasn't mentioned is a French wine called Morgon 2002 "Cote du Py" - I was a bigger fan of it than Manny. The wine guy at Central Market recommended it to me as an alternative to super-expensive Burgundys - it had good flavor though, and was fairly mellow - but not in a dull way by any means.

Smoking Loon's Pinot Noir is also good for the price - it's pretty cheap but has good flavor if you let it breathe for a while (otherwise the tannins are a little much).

You seem quite experienced with wines. This is like the time i checked out your personal blog and you talked about wines every day.

but seriously...what does burgundy mean in terms of wines?

Jekka
09-01-2005, 01:47 AM
You seem quite experienced with wines. This is like the time i checked out your personal blog and you talked about wines every day.

but seriously...what does burgundy mean in terms of wines?

Yeah, I don't have the extra cash or calories at the moment for wine, but soon hopefully.

I wasn't a big fan of whites either until I had some good stuff (i.e. not mass marketed Chardonnays and white Zinfandels).

And Burgundy, like Bordeaux, refers to the region the grapes and wine come from - that's pretty much it. Manny and I had a wine review journal on livejournal, but we haven't updated it since May (we haven't really bought much new stuff since then). It's at http://www.livejournal.com/users/wine_review/ if you want better reviews of some of the stuff Manny and I mentioned.

atlfan25
09-01-2005, 01:49 AM
Do some wines actually taste good and shit, like better than a pepsi or promised land chocolate milk or penta water?

the wine that atl has tasted has all tasted nasty. i am thinking cuz it was prob cheap shit from walgreens and wants to know if it can rival some of the shit i have mentioned tastewise?

Cant_Be_Faded
09-01-2005, 01:50 AM
cool, i'll check it out manana, thanks again for all the input

TheTruth
09-01-2005, 01:55 AM
Do some wines actually taste good and shit, like better than a pepsi or promised land chocolate milk or penta water?

the wine that atl has tasted has all tasted nasty. i am thinking cuz it was prob cheap shit from walgreens and wants to know if it can rival some of the shit i have mentioned tastewise?
Made in Floresville, TX.

NZHayden
09-01-2005, 01:55 AM
wine is fowl

MannyIsGod
09-01-2005, 01:57 AM
wine is fowl
No, Chicken is fowl. :lol

atlfan25
09-01-2005, 01:58 AM
Made in Floresville, TX.
I then love floresville, even the local movie trailer

Can A Atl Get A Hook Up From TheTruth?!????

TheTruth
09-01-2005, 01:59 AM
I then love floresville, even the local movie trailer

Can A Atl Get A Hook Up From TheTruth?!????
Negative

atlfan25
09-01-2005, 02:00 AM
Fuck You Thetruth, And Your Trailer

NZHayden
09-01-2005, 02:28 AM
No, Chicken is fowl. :lol
ok, wine is foul

Kori Ellis
09-01-2005, 02:35 AM
Maybe. I am not experienced, but the shit my mom and her friend gets taste like spoiled fruity kool-aid.

I'm a redwine fan hands down.

The other day Ms. Faded and I tried this Pinot Noir from Transylvannia....it was pretty damn good, not too expensive judging from the per-glass costs

I'm not a fan of white wine at all either. I've tasted a couple good Zinfandels but I absolutely detest all Chardonnay.

I'll drink Cabernets and Pinot Noirs. But I'm not a big wine drinker.

That wine I mentioned earlier in this thread (Silverado) is absolutely fabulous though.

SWC Bonfire
09-01-2005, 08:42 AM
You can try ANYTHING by Casa La Pastolle from Chile, they also have great values.

I can verify that their Cabernet Savingon is pretty good.

Sportcamper
09-01-2005, 11:02 AM
(Silverado) is indeed a great wine...But I disagree on Chilled Chardonnay...It obviously goes well with grilled halibut, lobster & swordfish.... But it is not bad with cereal either...

Extra Stout
09-01-2005, 11:08 AM
I'm not a fan of white wine at all either. I've tasted a couple good Zinfandels but I absolutely detest all Chardonnay.I guess you mean white Zinfandel... although that's a rose, not a white. Zinfandel is inky hardcore red stuff, chewier than a Shiraz.

I think Riesling is the best white.

ObiwanGinobili
09-01-2005, 11:32 AM
i haaate white wines

most white wines are dry, they are fucking nasty.
but I love a good sweet white wine. not dry at all.
they are mostly made in Germany and say "reisling" on the bottle. yum yum.
here is my fav:
Blue Nun Riesling (6 - 8 bucks a bottle)
Selaks Ice wine ($16)
Montinore LAte Harvest Riesling (9- 12 bucks)

as far as red wines, I lamost always pick up a bottle of Llano.
http://www.llanowine.com/
home grown Texas wine. and it;s really good.
the zinfendal and the blush are my favs....

ObiwanGinobili
09-01-2005, 11:32 AM

:tu :elephant

Horry For 3!
09-01-2005, 11:39 AM
I don't care too much for wine.

Kori Ellis
09-01-2005, 11:48 AM

Riesling makes me sick. I hate the taste of it, right up there with Chardonnay. I think some people just hate white wine and that's it. To me, it taste poisonous :lol

2Blonde
09-01-2005, 12:07 PM
I love Merlot, Shiraz, Pinot Noir, & Pinot Grigio (sp)?. One of my favorite merlots is Firestone reserve.

SWC Bonfire
09-01-2005, 12:12 PM
Riesling makes me sick. I hate the taste of it, right up there with Chardonnay. I think some people just hate white wine and that's it. To me, it taste poisonous :lol

Ever try a Gewuerztraminer?

Jimcs50
09-01-2005, 12:29 PM
I love Merlot, Shiraz, Pinot Noir, & Pinot Grigio (sp)?. One of my favorite merlots is Firestone reserve.

I am not drinking Merlot!!!!!

:)

2Blonde
09-01-2005, 12:33 PM

:)
How come? What kind of wine do you like?

Jimcs50
09-01-2005, 12:37 PM
How come? What kind of wine do you like?

I was quoting from Sideways. It was a hilarious line.

The movie did more to increase Pinot Noirs' sales than any ad campaign.

If youhave not seen it, go rent it.

2Blonde
09-01-2005, 12:49 PM
I've seen it. I just didn't remember that line. Sorry, I must have case of dumb ass today!!
:lol

ObiwanGinobili
09-01-2005, 12:53 PM
Ever try a Gewuerztraminer?

exactly how sweet is it? is it acidic?I've passed it up on the shelf a few times... i might try it if its not sickly.
I know Llano makes one (i <3 llano)

T Park
09-01-2005, 01:06 PM

come on Jim if your gonna quote it quote it right.

"IF they order Merlot, I am out of there, I am NOT drinking any FUCKIN Merlot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

:rollin

SWC Bonfire
09-01-2005, 01:11 PM
exactly how sweet is it? is it acidic?I've passed it up on the shelf a few times... i might try it if its not sickly.
I know Llano makes one (i <3 llano)

Sort of sweet and dry at the same time, and has a fruity smell. I have a bottle in my refrigerator I haven't drunk yet...Hey, what are you doing talking about wine???

ObiwanGinobili
09-01-2005, 01:13 PM
Sort of sweet and dry at the same time, and has a fruity smell. I have a bottle in my refrigerator I haven't drunk yet...Hey, what are you doing talking about wine???

my OB is from Italy, he lets me drink 4 glasses of RED wine a week.....
but i'm looking for a good bottle of white as a celebration after the baby's born.

SWC Bonfire
09-01-2005, 01:16 PM
A little fetal alcohol syndrome never hurt anybody...?

I guess in moderation it's OK, but I hope your family isn't genetically predisposed to be alcoholics. Having the kid pop out and order an old fashioned before the cord is cut might be a little much.:lol

MannyIsGod
09-01-2005, 01:18 PM
After the developmental stages, a glass of wine won't hurt a thing.

mookie2001
09-01-2005, 01:24 PM
its not a wine but i like Mickey's 2005 it has a bold yet refreshing taste the first bottle can be a tad precocious, however this will soon cease

hint...if drinking another malted alcoholic beverage such as OE, even Magnum. Drink the non-Mickey's first, it will go down much easier

cbf what are you some kind of Fazoli?
are you gonna start going mavs games now?

ObiwanGinobili
09-01-2005, 01:40 PM
A little fetal alcohol syndrome never hurt anybody...?

I guess in moderation it's OK, but I hope your family isn't genetically predisposed to be alcoholics. Having the kid pop out and order an old fashioned before the cord is cut might be a little much.:lol

:lol if only I gave birht to geniuses!! :lol

Jimcs50
09-01-2005, 01:45 PM
come on Jim if your gonna quote it quote it right.

"IF they order Merlot, I am out of there, I am NOT drinking any FUCKIN Merlot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

:rollin

Yes, that is what he said, now that I think about it.

BTW, Virginia Madsen is still pretty hot:

http://cdn.digitalcity.com/getty/E/2005-02-27/ECH013-0228001831_E.jpg

The sone
09-01-2005, 09:40 PM
if your not big on wine try starting with a desert wine. they are much sweeter and will help you get accustomed to the zing. dont do the boones farm thing please. try one called essensia or if thats a bit much, 15% alc. content i think, try electra. both are super sweet. i find that people that are just starting to drink wine tend to get the impression that its like drinking soda. dunno why. but this might help you ease into it. befor you know it youll be wine bonging a whole bottle of exp syrah...dew it! dew it! dew it!

T Park
09-01-2005, 09:44 PM
A girl that can articulate like that, plus be hot??

How cool is that.