PDA

View Full Version : Katrina Prompts Global Support

Jelly
08-31-2005, 10:34 PM
I'm not bowled over by the support, but it's nice that some people are thinking of us...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/story/0,1280,-5245983,00.html

Katrina Prompts Global Support for Victims

Wednesday August 31, 2005 6:31 PM

AP Photo LADM102

By DANICA KIRKA

Associated Press Writer

VIENNA, Austria (AP) - From papal prayers to telegrams from China, the world reacted with an outpouring of compassion Wednesday for the American victims of Hurricane Katrina, even moved to offer aid at the sight of what nature could do to a wealthy and powerful country.

Images of flood-ravaged New Orleans earned particular sympathy in central Europe, where dozens died in raging floodwaters only days ago.

``Nature proved that no matter how rich and economically developed you are, you can't fight it,'' said Danut Afasei, a local official in Romania's Harghita county, where flooding killed 13 people last week.

Throughout Europe, concerned citizens were keeping a close eye on events as they lamented the loss of life and the damage caused to New Orleans, often described as one of the North America's most ``European'' cities.

French President Jacques Chirac and German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder sent messages of sympathy to U.S. President George W. Bush. Chirac, who has famously quarreled with Bush over the Iraq war, addressed his letter, ``Dear George.''

Pope Benedict XVI said he was praying for victims of the ``tragic'' hurricane while China's President Hu Jintao expressed his ``belief that that the American people will definitely overcome the natural disaster and rebuild their beautiful homeland.''

Queen Elizabeth II sent a message to Bush saying she was ``deeply shocked and saddened'' at the devastation caused by Hurricane Katrina, Buckingham Palace said Wednesday.

In the message, the British monarch expressed her sympathies to the people of the United States, ``especially to the families of those who have lost their lives, to the injured and to all who have been affected by this terrible disaster.''

The U.S. Embassy in Bern, Switzerland - a capital at the foot of the Alps hit by flooding last week - said calls were rushing in from Swiss individuals and institutions looking for a way to donate to relief efforts.

``We are getting calls from the Swiss public looking to express their condolences (and) people are also asking for an account number where they can make donations,'' said spokesman Daniel Wendell.

Earlier this week, the American Embassy donated US$50,000 (euro40,990) to help Swiss relief groups. Several communities in Switzerland remain virtually cut off from the outside world and reliant on air transport for essential supplies. The international oil company BP PLC's foundation donated US$1 million (euro819,806) for Katrina victims.

The Internet-edition Vienna daily Der Standard recorded 820 postings commenting on a front-page story on the hurricane. One of the postings, signed ``Emerald,'' asked where donations could be sent, sparking debate about whether a rich country such as the United States needed such aid.

In response, a posting signed ``far out'' said sending aid to homeless in New Orleans made just as much sense as donating to the poor in Sudan.

``Poor is poor, regardless of where,'' the entry said.

Amid the sympathy, however, there was criticism.

Islamic extremists rejoiced in America's misfortune, giving the storm a military rank and declaring in Internet chatter that ``Private'' Katrina had joined the global jihad. With ``God's help,'' they declared, oil prices would hit US$100 a barrel this year.

As U.S. military engineers struggled to shore up breached levees, experts in the Netherlands expressed surprise that New Orleans' flood systems failed to restrain the raging waters.

With half of the country's population of 16 million living below sea level, the Netherlands has been preparing since floods in 1953 that killed 2,000 people. The nation installed massive hydraulic sea walls known as the Delta Works.

``I don't want to sound overly critical, but it's hard to imagine that (the damage caused by Katrina) could happen in a Western country,'' Ted Sluijter, press spokesman for Neeltje Jans, the public park where the Delta Works are exhibited. ``It seemed like plans for protection and evacuation weren't really in place, and once it happened, the coordination'' was poor.

Both Katrina and the floods in Europe prove that all countries needed to be prepared for the worst, said Salvano Briceno, director of the Geneva-based U.N. International Strategy for Disaster Reduction.

``Anyone can be affected, any day, anywhere by disaster originated by a natural hazard,'' Briceno told journalists. ``Urban risks, the degradation of the environment and global warming make disaster reduction a top priority for all governments' agenda.''

The sympathy was muted in some corners by a sense that the United States reaped what it sowed, since the country is seen as the main contributor to the global warming that may be behind such furies of nature.

European media in particular raised long-standing criticism of American environmental policy, which they maintain contributes to global warming and natural catastrophes such as Katrina.

The Lausanne-based daily 24 Heures warned that even greater disasters may be around the corner and asked what was being done to prepare by the end of the century for ``the exodus of 150 million refugees caused by the rising of the oceans.''

Joern Ehlers, a spokesman for WWF Germany, said global warming had increased the intensity of hurricanes such as Katrina, but that it was unclear whether climate change had made them more common.

In general, ``natural catastrophes are more extreme and occur more often'' due to global warming, he said, noting that Germany had been struck with three severe floods in the past six years.

Though no conclusions can be drawn from a single event such as Katrina, that storm ``fits into the picture of modern climate researchers. It's a building block in the global warming theory.''

Aside from its tragic aftermath, Katrina might help people understand the urgency of global warming effects, Ehlers said. But do the Americans, infamous for consuming massive amounts of energy, have themselves to blame?

``I wouldn't go that far,'' Ehlers said. ``But it's a fact that the Americans have a big impact on the greenhouse effect.''

Harlan L. Watson, the U.S. envoy for negotiations on climate change, disputed Ehlers' assessment during a trip to Geneva. He denied there was a link between global warming and the strength of Katrina.

``Our scientists are telling us right now that there's not a linkage,'' he said. ``I'll rely on their information.''

---

Ginofan
08-31-2005, 10:46 PM
The condolences are what I wanted to hear, so I'm thankful for that. But instead of offering condolences some are saying "they reap what they sow" that's plain mean to be talking like that when we still have bodies in the water. The I-told-you-so's aren't really warranted at this moment, give it some time for this to sink into people's minds first, then feel free to point and accuse all you want.

Jelly
08-31-2005, 10:52 PM
I know...the thinly veiled "we're sorry to hear it, but you had it coming" tone in a few of the comments. I am proud the the U.S. is a country that can take care of its own, but it would still be nice if the international community were more vocal in their support. I googled 'international response" and Katrina, and that article is about all I could find indicating any kind of international support or sympathy.

T Park
08-31-2005, 11:15 PM
If this had happened somewhere else, and we hadnt donated millions yet,

we would be getting ripped up for being cheap, and mizers.

Kind of like how we were ripped up for not donating quick enough during the Tsunami.

MaNuMaNiAc
09-01-2005, 01:25 AM
If this had happened somewhere else, and we hadnt donated millions yet,

we would be getting ripped up for being cheap, and mizers.

Kind of like how we were ripped up for not donating quick enough during the Tsunami.
hmmm... imagine you had Bill Gates and a person living on welfare. There is this kid that needs $10,000 to get an operation. Who would you criticize more for not having donated money for the cause?

Trainwreck2100
09-01-2005, 01:37 AM
hmmm... imagine you had Bill Gates and a person living on welfare. There is this kid that needs $10,000 to get an operation. Who would you criticize more for not having donated money for the cause?

That person on Welfare don't need to eat, selfish bastard.

TheTruth
09-01-2005, 01:37 AM
The Kids parents for not having medical insurance.

MaNuMaNiAc
09-01-2005, 01:59 AM
That person on Welfare don't need to eat, selfish bastard.

The Kids parents for not having medical insurance.
http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif

T Park
09-01-2005, 02:04 AM
imagine you had Bill Gates and a person living on welfare. There is this kid that needs $10,000 to get an operation. Who would you criticize more for not having donated money for the cause?

eh???

First off, why should Bill gates donate. Its none of his business.

Come back with a better analogy.

SpursWoman
09-01-2005, 06:32 AM
But instead of offering condolences some are saying "they reap what they sow" that's plain mean to be talking like that when we still have bodies in the water. The I-told-you-so's aren't really warranted at this moment, give it some time for this to sink into people's minds first, then feel free to point and accuse all you want.

As soon as I can get some names & email addresses, I've prepared a gigantic:

GO FUCK YOURSELF public service announcement.

:lol

MaNuMaNiAc
09-01-2005, 06:49 AM
eh???

First off, why should Bill gates donate. Its none of his business.

Come back with a better analogy.
... you just don't get it do you. That IS the point T Park. He doesn't give money because he doesn't care, and that's why he gets critisized! Same way the US gets ciriticized for not helping people in need when they are clearly in the best position to do so. Now I'm not saying the US should, I'm saying that's why some people criticize.

Shelly
09-01-2005, 07:53 AM
As soon as I can get some names & email addresses, I've prepared a gigantic:

GO FUCK YOURSELF public service announcement.

:lol

Damn Pinstruck.com for not being around anymore!

Jelly
09-01-2005, 08:02 AM
... you just don't get it do you. That IS the point T Park. He doesn't give money because he doesn't care, and that's why he gets critisized! Same way the US gets ciriticized for not helping people in need when they are clearly in the best position to do so. Now I'm not saying the US should, I'm saying that's why some people criticize.

Are you kidding???
Bill Gates gives astronomical sums to various charities, and he is especially active in fighting disease in Africa. He also intends to give away 90% of his money by the time he dies. Are people upset that he is still rich? Well, what a bunch of idiots. We need people like Bill Gates. He knows how to make money and with that money he is able to do more good than some small countries.
Also, the United States does help others and is the worlds largest provider of aid around the world and has been for a long time.

I don't expect other countries to donate money, but I do expect words of consolation and so far the reaction has been weak.

ObiwanGinobili
09-01-2005, 08:09 AM

I hope your not saying that Bill Gates doesn;t give $$ . 'Cause he does.
the Bill & Melinda Gates foundation donates and co-oridnates alot of good for worldwide poverty, hundrr and AIDS in Africa.
just FYI.

SpursWoman
09-01-2005, 08:13 AM

FYI, the United States probably gives more financial assistance and forgives old debt from impoverished countries than every other country on the planet combined.

And yet *we* still have to endure the bullshit remarks from all of those who don't know any better.

I mean WTF? Where did the idea for electricity come from that powers the computers and TV's and radios that allows them to spew all of the rhetoric and bullshit? Or the majority of medicines they take, or pretty much every freaking luxury and convenience they enjoy and not even think twice about?

But we should reap what we sew. We deserve every bad thing that happens to *us*.

Extra Stout
09-01-2005, 08:23 AM
I know...the thinly veiled "we're sorry to hear it, but you had it coming" tone in a few of the comments. I am proud the the U.S. is a country that can take care of its own, but it would still be nice if the international community were more vocal in their support. I googled 'international response" and Katrina, and that article is about all I could find indicating any kind of international support or sympathy.European leftists do not have normal human empathy. Remember how Stalin regarded the death of 30 million Ukranians as a result of his policies as a "statistic." These folks are of the same mind -- pure evil.

It's not wealthy oil barons and capitalists who are stranded and dying right now. It's mostly the poor, for whom you would think these leftists would be staunch advocates. But again, they are by and large psychopaths. They'll gladly trade tens of thousands of dead for a nice smug feeling about their politics.

I think that most people around the world have genuine sympathy, because they are humans.

Jelly
09-01-2005, 08:43 AM
I think that most people around the world have genuine sympathy, because they are humans.

I don't know. I go on the BBC message boards and had to stay away yesterday, because my blood pressure was rising from all the flippant remarks. For the most part, there is a lot of 'perhaps America will learn its lesson now.' I guess they don't realize that the intensity of hurricanes has in fact decreased over the past 100 years. I guess they've never heard of Galveston or Camille.
There is also an inordinate amount of threads bitching about people here referring to this as "our tsunami" followed by comments like "america doesn't have a clue". All that in place of where you'd expect people extending prayers and good wishes. But, no. Just a lot of petty insults.

I was listening to a BBC commentator on the radio and he was interviewing some New Orleans officials and people from FEMA. He was so smug and rude. I was proud that they didn't take the bait as he was trying to lure them into a debate on how disorganized and inept the rescue efforts were. After one guy described some of the efforts underway. The BBC interviewer said in a disgusted tone "But isn't is a disgrace that in a country as rich and sophisticated as America, there are people sitting on the roofs after 4 days"
:cuss

SpursWoman
09-01-2005, 09:43 AM
I don't know. I go on the BBC message boards and had to stay away yesterday, because my blood pressure was rising from all the flippant remarks. For the most part, there is a lot of 'perhaps America will learn its lesson now.' I guess they don't realize that the intensity of hurricanes has in fact decreased over the past 100 years. I guess they've never heard of Galveston or Camille.
There is also an inordinate amount of threads bitching about people here referring to this as "our tsunami" followed by comments like "america doesn't have a clue". All that in place of where you'd expect people extending prayers and good wishes. But, no. Just a lot of petty insults.

I was listening to a BBC commentator on the radio and he was interviewing some New Orleans officials and people from FEMA. He was so smug and rude. I was proud that they didn't take the bait as he was trying to lure them into a debate on how disorganized and inept the rescue efforts were. After one guy described some of the efforts underway. The BBC interviewer said in a disgusted tone "But isn't is a disgrace that in a country as rich and sophisticated as America, there are people sitting on the roofs after 4 days"
:cuss

Do you have a link for some of those sites you visited? I seriously feel like starting a little international conflict. :angel :)

samikeyp
09-01-2005, 10:20 AM
He doesn't give money because he doesn't care

You know this, of course, because you know Bill Gates personally.

SpursWoman
09-01-2005, 10:21 AM
You know this, of course, because you know Bill Gates personally.

He doesn't even have to...Gates' generosity is well noted. I have no idea where he got that from.

:wtf

samikeyp
09-01-2005, 10:23 AM
True....well, I guess that comes with ignorance.

Do you have a link for some of those sites you visited? I seriously feel like starting a little international conflict

As do I.