PDA

View Full Version : So what's going to happen to Barry?

BillsCarnage
08-31-2005, 10:36 PM
On the local sports show they had some Harris(?) guy from WOAI and he'd said they might explore trading Barry, but didn't know if it was possible because of the salary. Beeno was another option, but they like him a lot.

mavsfan1000
08-31-2005, 10:38 PM
It's not like Barry did anything for the spurs and had any part of the spurs winning a championship. Finley even though not as high percentage of shooter as Barry is automatically better despite health problems. I get it.

Dex
08-31-2005, 10:40 PM
Spurs like Barry much more than Beno. Apprarently, they soured on Udrih late last year and through the playoffs, and have already been shopping him around along with Rasho over this offseason. Barry probably doesn't have the safest seat on the bench right now, but he's not exactly on the block either. I don't think Brent will be going anywhere.

Besides, Finley will be coming in more to backup Bowen at SF, not Ginobili at the 2. So I'm pretty sure his addition isn't much of a threat to Barry's spot on the roster.

T Park
08-31-2005, 10:45 PM
Why would they trade him.

If someone is willing to give up some picks and cap space, Im sure he could be had.

timvp
08-31-2005, 10:48 PM
Looking at it, I always thought that the Spurs would try to move Barry after this year. Now that the MF is signed up, it's even easier to trade him. He's still owed a good amount of money and his playing time will surely dip.

That said -- in a perfect world -- I'd like him to remain on the team. I think he could fill the Steve Kerr role almost perfectly. He could come in and knock down a few shots and make some smart plays. But would he be happy with that role and would the Spurs want to pay someone that much for that role?

Not likely on either account.

Dex
08-31-2005, 10:49 PM
It's not like Barry did anything for the spurs and had any part of the spurs winning a championship.

Yeah, because that 4/4 3-pt, 16 point Game 2 versus the Nuggets, after Denver had upset the Spurs at home didn't do anything for our team.

Neither did his 21 point, 5/8 night behind the arc during Game 1 against the Suns, and his 55% three-point shooting throughout the WCF.

Let's not forget those veteran minutes he filled in for the inneffective Beno against the Pistons, especially those two big assists he dished out during the clinching moments of 4th quarter Finals Game 7. Those were worthless, too.

How does that guy sleep at night? :rolleyes

Rustinpeace9
08-31-2005, 10:49 PM
I think barry should stay. He hits some deep threes that kept us in the game. i understand that we need Rasho as backup, but I've always thought he wasn't aggressive enough. i would have traded him. I've always felt that Malik was more aggressive than Rasho.

CubanMustGo
08-31-2005, 10:51 PM
I've always felt that Malik was more aggressive than Rasho.

Your average banana slug is more agressive than Rasho ...

BillsCarnage
08-31-2005, 10:59 PM
Now that the MF is signed up, it's even easier to trade him. He's still owed a good amount of money and his playing time will surely dip.

But you hit the nail on the head, why would a team want a player with diminishing skills and a high salary? No one in the west will take him as that'll help the Spurs and conversely he could come back to haunt the Spurs. Their best bet might be to wait until trading time and pawn him off on the Knicks.

DieMrBond
08-31-2005, 11:00 PM
Im all for keeping Barry - he helps our team, and helps stretch the defences around Tim. Plus, NVE @ point, Barry @ sg, Finley @ sf - that makes sense to me for the backups? Add Horry in at PF backup and youve got 4 MAJOR threats for 3pt. Timmy in the middle, and your set.

Barry to stay!!!

Cant_Be_Faded
08-31-2005, 11:01 PM
whatever

if we trade Bones we will regret it.

Chris
08-31-2005, 11:09 PM
Barry proved himself as a valuable addition to this team during the playoffs. He is versatile at running starting and backup positions at both SG and PG. It's obvious the Spurs are going to retain him.

Trainwreck2100
08-31-2005, 11:12 PM
Your average banana slug is more agressive than Rasho ...

Your avg. old lady with an oxygen tube on life support in a nusing home is more agressive than Rasho

CharlieMac
08-31-2005, 11:13 PM
Who?

Cant_Be_Faded
08-31-2005, 11:21 PM
my 99 pound lil sister is more aggressive around the rim then RASHO

if anyone must be (chump) dumped then it should be him...then we can resign nazr for his inflated contract he will inevitably expect

ducks
08-31-2005, 11:26 PM
barry for amare

fridge
08-31-2005, 11:34 PM
man im tired of these trade rumours poppin up. do u think it might be possible that we'd keep em all ? barry is one of the smartest players on our team, he was the answer in backing up parker when udrih got a bit nervous. he has massive range, and he wants to be here.

how about we keep the team as we have it now (try to extend nazr on the same money he has now, or else let him go and get scola)... and win championships for the next 5 years.

thispego
08-31-2005, 11:40 PM
Bones' has had his 1 year grace period.... now lets let him play with a full year with the spurs under his belt. He'll be more comfortable, more relaxed, he wont have the burden on his shoulders of having to come out and "prove himself" because he was the lone "big acquisition " last off-season that was supposed to take the Spurs over the top...

Kip Fanatic
09-01-2005, 12:12 AM
Trading Barry can be good and bad. Good, because you can trade him to a team like Denver and get someone like DeMarr Johnson in return or a draft pick to save money. If the Spurs trade him to Denver and receive future picks, then the Spurs can keep Devin and have cap space for Nazr next off season. However, it can be bad because if Finley gets hurt Barry would be gone (if traded) and we have no one else to come in. I would only trade Barry if it means we keep Devin or receive someone like DeMarr Johnson on the cheap.

thispego
09-01-2005, 12:14 AM
no

Mr. Body
09-01-2005, 12:29 AM
Trading Barry to Denver (for DerMarr) would be a very bad decision. They need a shooter and ball-handler; why give them one?

Kori Ellis
09-01-2005, 12:33 AM
Trading Barry to Denver (for DerMarr) would be a very bad decision. They need a shooter and ball-handler; why give them one?

Agreed.

I think there will be times this season when Finley gets the bulk of the backup swing minutes and other times when Barry will. In the playoffs, they'll both be very useful.

Depth isn't a bad thing.

Kip Fanatic
09-01-2005, 12:36 AM
Depth is great. I totally agree, but I am simply stating what can happen if he is traded. Do I want him to be traded? No. However, if the Spurs do well there are some options.

Kori Ellis
09-01-2005, 12:37 AM
Depth is great. I totally agree, but I am simply stating what can happen if he is traded. Do I want him to be traded? No. However, if the Spurs do well there are some options.

Oh I think the Spurs will entertain offers for Barry - as well as Rasho and Beno. They already have been doing that even before NVE and Finley signed. But I wouldn't trade Barry for someone like DerMarr Johnson.

timvp
09-01-2005, 12:38 AM
Trading Barry and letting Nazr walk (or trading Rasho) keep the Spurs away from the luxury tax threshold for the next five years.

I'd rather Barry stay on the team, but it doesn't make much financial sense.

Kip Fanatic
09-01-2005, 12:38 AM
Well, the only reason I mentioned him was financial reasons.

Kori Ellis
09-01-2005, 12:39 AM
Well, the only reason I mentioned him was financial reasons.

What do you mean? The Spurs would have to take back the same amount of salary. So you would want to pay DerMarr over $4M a year?

timvp
09-01-2005, 12:43 AM
Barry, Beno, Rasho to the Hawks for a first round pick and one of their young prospects.

:drunk

Cant_Be_Faded
09-01-2005, 12:50 AM
BS Barry has seniority over finley and NVE
Barry did 400% more than rasho in the finals and 340% more than BENO

wtf is this trade barry talk

if we trade him i will be pissed to no end, and i wasnt even a barry fan this past season, but after seeing him in the playoffs i was convinced

there was a reason Barry was in the rotation the entire playoffs and the entire finals

CIA Pop remember? The guy has skillz...

timvp
09-01-2005, 12:55 AM
there was a reason Barry was in the rotation the entire playoffs and the entire finals

Devin being hurt helped a whole lot.

Kip Fanatic
09-01-2005, 01:05 AM
What do you mean? The Spurs would have to take back the same amount of salary. So you would want to pay DerMarr over $4M a year?

The Spurs wouldn't have to sign him for $4 mil.

ChumpDumper
09-01-2005, 01:05 AM
Hey folks, great news.

This year we don't have to trade anyone.

No one.

Not a soul.

So unclench and revel in the fact that if anyone not named Duncan gets hurt, were going to be fine.

How many teams can say the same?

We can go on and on about whom to sign next, but you have your team now, before September. These are the guys who are going to play, period.

Pop a cold one, toke up -- whatever. There are no holes. No needs. Any trade from here on out is just going to cut future payroll at the expense of our present depth, so be careful what you wish for.

I'm more interested in whom the Toros are going to sign now -- they're going to see more PT than anyone added to the Spurs now. Hell, those Spurs might just be playing up here anyway.

Kori Ellis
09-01-2005, 01:07 AM
I'm more interested in whom the Toros are going to sign now -- they're going to see more PT than anyone added to the Spurs now. Hell, those Spurs might just be playing up here anyway.

Are you going to go to Toros games? Do you want me to try to get you press credentials for any games that you are going to?

ChumpDumper
09-01-2005, 01:08 AM
It looks like I will be here for the duration, so I'll be going to most every game I can. I'll PM about the details.

timvp
09-01-2005, 01:09 AM
If the Spurs hold this roster for the year, I'd be happy.

But I know how Holt works. I'm not looking forward to cutbacks.

The summer still has some drama to come :lol

P.S.

Karaulov and Sanikidze on the Toros would be awesome.

TDMVPDPOY
09-01-2005, 01:14 AM
Trade rasho = a scrub center

wang zhi zhi?

baseline bum
09-01-2005, 01:32 AM
http://members.iinet.net.au/~chippy/signature2.jpg

That's an awesome sig.

Kori Ellis
09-01-2005, 01:41 AM
The trade that has been mentioned is trading Eduardo Najera for Brent Barry. The Spurs initial asking price was an expiring contract, but are said to be high on Najera if they can get a second round pick to be included in the trade. Najera would add another strong defense presence on the Spurs roster, while Barry would give the Nuggets a more versatile shooting guard than they have had since drafting Carmelo Anthony. In fact the Nuggets last season were rumored to be very interested in acquiring Barry while he was a free agent but ultimately lost out to San Antonio. Both contracts are very similar and expire in the end of 2007-2008 season. The only issue holding up the trade is Kiki's concerns over whether or Barry can be effective (he is turning 35 this season), and whether or not he wants to give up box office draw Najera and a second round pick for Barry. Expect Nuggets Head Coach George Karl have a big input in this move. If Karl thinks that Barry would be a better fit in the locker room which would lead to more wins, then he might lobby intensely for the Nuggets to make this move. In either case, expect Barry to be dealt soon as he wants to have more playing time. The run and gun style of the Nuggets would fit him perfectly.

http://www.hoopsworld.com :drunk

Kori Ellis
09-01-2005, 01:42 AM
By the way, many people are aging Barry by a year or two. He's 33 right now. He'll be 34 on Dec 31.

Trainwreck2100
09-01-2005, 01:47 AM

:lol :lol looks like barry will retire here

TheWriter
09-01-2005, 01:48 AM

HoopsWorld sucks!

timvp
09-01-2005, 01:50 AM
Barry for Najera.

Hmmmm ... although Hoopsworld just pulled this out of their azz, it makes a little bit of sense. Najera would be the new fan favorite and provide the Spurs another big.

His contract isn't the greatest but the Spurs have liked him for a long time and the trade would even out the roster.

Then again, the chances of a Hoopsworld trade rumor coming true is less than a Spursdaone trade rumor.

DieMrBond
09-01-2005, 01:55 AM
That's an awesome sig.

Thanks! :music

SenorSpur
09-01-2005, 01:59 AM
Barry for Najera.

Hmmmm ... although Hoopsworld just pulled this out of their azz, it makes a little bit of sense. Najera would be the new fan favorite and provide the Spurs another big.

His contract isn't the greatest but the Spurs have liked him for a long time and the trade would even out the roster.

Then again, the chances of a Hoopsworld trade rumor coming true is less than a Spursdaone trade rumor.

Yeah, we haven't had a Malik Rose type since, well uh, Malik Rose.

Now can we find any takers for Rasho? I'd love to get another, more aggressive reserve big in return. I'm sure the Spurs don't want to carry his large salary for the entire year.

Dingle Barry
09-01-2005, 02:19 AM
Getting Najera would be fucking sweet. It would complete the circle of the Spurs getting guys I have hated but whose game I admire. NVE, Horry, Finley, Najera. Damn.
Combined with Bruce, we would be by far the most hated team in the league. I like it.

whottt
09-01-2005, 02:36 AM
I am not on the Finley bandwagon yet...I think the guy is seriously over-rated...I think he is going to have a major struggle playing reduced minutes...I think he's going to have a problem with it...

On top of that...I think Finley takes a lot of bad shots and makes a lot of dumb turnovers....he's got awful handles and always has...

Not sold on Finely being a championship key yet...I predict the Mavs won't miss him in the slightest.

As for Barry...

Barry was our entire guard-SF rotation for the playoffs last year...not Beno, not Bigg Dogg, not Devin Brown...

Barry may not put up a lot of points but he doesn't make stupid plays or turnovers and when he does take a big shot he usually makes it...

This is not true for Finley...Finley has never scared me as an opponent...never, not once....Finley getting the ball late in the game has never rated a big measurement on the whottt clutch scale...unlike Nick the quick, who has always rated very highly...

It does make sense to move Barry due to age and contract, but only if we are certain that Finely is who we want, but what happens if Finley doesn't want to return?
And Najera would be a nice pick up...but I don't consider him a need.

I hope the Spurs hold off on trading Barry...our biggest needs were a long SF and scoring punch...NVE takes care of the scoring punch...Finely doesn't do anything to fill those long SF needs IMO....he basically duplicates Barry's skills only he is much more willing to take a crappy shot or make a shitty pass...and he's not going to defer to guys he should be deferring too as much as Barry does...

In short....Finley has to prove he can be a role player...I don't think he can do it yet. Over-rated and overkill on this team.

TheWriter
09-01-2005, 02:43 AM
I am not on the Finley bandwagon yet...I think the guy is seriously over-rated...I think he is going to have a major struggle playing reduced minutes...I think he's going to have a problem with it...

On top of that...I think Finley takes a lot of bad shots and makes a lot of dumb turnovers....he's got awful handles and always has...

If that happens, guess what, he doesn't play. It's that simple.

Again, use commonsense, why would the guy sign here if he didn't want to play a smaller roll, get less minutes. Do you think Pop offered him the starting job? No. o you think Pop promised him mintues to the moon? No.

Finley knew he'd get more minutes in Phoenix, Minny, and even Miami. But he still signed here.

Barry was our entire guard-SF rotation for the playoffs last year...not Beno, not Bigg Dogg, not Devin Brown...

Of course he was, Beno isn't even a small forward. Devin was injrued the entire post season (had he not been, Brent would have taken a backseat to him), and Big Dog was new and in the second round had a death in his family with took him out of any rotation he had been in before.

and when he does take a big shot he usually makes it...

What? Where you not around during the entire... I dunno... season? Barry had his worst year ever. He couldn't hit shit. Even in the playoffs, but for maybe 3 or 4 games, he stunk it up as well with his shooting.

he basically duplicates Barry's skills only he is much more willing to take a crappy shot or make a shitty pass...

You do know Finley shot a lot better at the 3pt line than Barry last year.

ChumpDumper
09-01-2005, 02:46 AM
I don't want any trades either.

Barry/Finley
Nazr/Rasho
Beno/Van Exel

Let the battle for minutes begin!

SenorSpur
09-01-2005, 02:51 AM
What? Where you not around during the entire... I dunno... season? Barry had his worst year ever. He couldn't hit shit. Even in the playoffs, but for maybe 3 or 4 games, he stunk it up as well with his shooting.

Barry also made his share of careless turnover (the extra pass with good intentions) and he was a liability on defense. But he is a very smart player and, as you've stated, he came up big in some games during the run.

Having watched Finley here in Big D for several years, there is some credence to those criticisms of Finley. He's got a bad handle, can't create his own shot and will take bad shots. I worry about the flow of the offense with him because he doesn't pass well - never has.

I was unaware that he shot so well from 3 pt line. I only hope he'll have a good year with us.

TheWriter
09-01-2005, 02:51 AM
I don't want any trades either.

Barry/Finley
Nazr/Rasho
Beno/Van Exel

Let the battle for minutes begin!

Well...

Finley over Brent
Nazr over Rasho
NVE over Beno

See, it's that quick and easy.

ChumpDumper
09-01-2005, 02:52 AM
See, it's that quick and easy.It never is....

whottt
09-01-2005, 03:02 AM
If that happens, guess what, he doesn't play. It's that simple.

Again, use commonsense, why would the guy sign here if he didn't want to play a smaller roll, get less minutes. Do you think Pop offered him the starting job? No. o you think Pop promised him mintues to the moon? No.

Common sense isn't always a common commodity.

Finley knew he'd get more minutes in Phoenix, Minny, and even Miami. But he still signed here.

I don't doubt he thinks it can work....that doesn't mean it's going to happen.

Brent Barry lead the team in clutch FG% in the playoffs and regular season.
Links:
Playoffs: http://www.82games.com/playoffs/04SAS3E.HTM
Regular season: http://www.82games.com/04SAS4E.HTM

Second on the team to Manu in PPS in both the regular season and playoffs.
Links:
Playoffs: http://www.82games.com/04SAS4E.HTM
Regular season: http://www.82games.com/04SAS4E.HTM

Look...I am not going to argue about this just because you are to ignorant to fucking know the way it is..

YOU must have missed all of last season...because had you been here you would already have seen the arguments I made on his behalf which were proven right.

Don't even start this Devin shit again...I said all season long that Devin made no difference in the teams performance...and after his injury I was proven right.

So either remove your lips from Devin's ass or go fucking root for the Jazz...

My point was proved, and the only thing you can use to argue with me is ignorance of the facts.

Get it through your dumb fucking skill that Barry is not a scorer...once you are able to grasp that it becomes much easier to appreciate what he brings to a team.

You do know that Barry's 3 point shooting PCT in the playoffs was better than Stephen Jackson, Mario Elie, and Jaren Jackson ever shot, don't you? And better than all of Kerr's years except for his final season.

What did I say tard? Did I say Barry was a scorer? Or did I say that when he took a big shot he usually made it?

SenorSpur
09-01-2005, 03:05 AM
Oh I think the Spurs will entertain offers for Barry - as well as Rasho and Beno. They already have been doing that even before NVE and Finley signed. But I wouldn't trade Barry for someone like DerMarr Johnson.

I wouldn't recommend they give up on Beno just yet - especially after only one season. The kid had high marks during the season, despite a dismal showing in the finals. I'm of the opinion that he has shown enough skills to warrant letting him develop as a third PG. He can be he Mike Wilks of the team.

whottt
09-01-2005, 03:06 AM
Finley = Steve Smith redux.

Que Gee
09-01-2005, 11:17 AM
Devin being hurt helped a whole lot.

Devin not being hurt still wouldn't have changed the fact that he was the Spurs most reliable back up point guard and I would say even outplayed Tony as the PG in games 6 and 7.

Que Gee
09-01-2005, 11:19 AM
If the Spurs hold this roster for the year, I'd be happy.

Agreed!

ShoogarBear
09-01-2005, 11:21 AM
Finley = Steve Smith redux.Interesting thought. Smitty actually had a decent first year here. We'll see.

Best part is, even if Finley is a complete bust, we have other options.

(You mean he might be as bad during the regular season as Barry was last year. . .) :D

timvp
09-01-2005, 11:55 AM
Devin not being hurt still wouldn't have changed the fact that he was the Spurs most reliable back up point guard and I would say even outplayed Tony as the PG in games 6 and 7.

:lmao

Barry never played point guard. Manu was the backup point guard. You can count how many times Barry brought up the ball in the series on one hand.

I like Barry (now) but Holt and the Spurs need to trim costs. Finley is younger and has potential to be a better fit. Finley also is due about half of what Barry is due.

It's simple math right about now.

Solid D
09-01-2005, 11:58 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/4827108

Thomas said that Finley is comfortable with the role Spurs coach Gregg Popovich offered him. Asked if that would mean playing 15 to 20 minutes per game, Thomas said it would be "honestly more than that."

"He probably will play the amount of minutes during the regular season that will allow him to be fresh and ready to go in the playoffs," the agent said. "I think Pop sees him being a main contributor, one of the guys contributing significantly to them winning a championship."

nkdlunch
09-01-2005, 12:03 PM
nothing, this team can even afford their own personal clown to entertain their way to the championship

50 cent
09-01-2005, 12:24 PM
No trades needed unless we can get rid of Rasho for some cap relief.

Marcus Bryant
09-01-2005, 12:30 PM
Why trade a shooting guard who can start to the Nuggets? Fuck that.

BigVee
09-01-2005, 12:33 PM

Many on this forum feel Barry was a bust last year, so why not deal him and let him stink up the Nuggets?

beirmeistr
09-01-2005, 12:43 PM
nothing, this team can even afford their own personal clown to entertain their way to the championship
I thought Marks was gone.

j/k

spurs_fan_in_exile
09-01-2005, 12:44 PM
I say hold onto Barry because of the season he had, both the ups and downs. NVE and Finley still hold a few question marks surrounding them. For all the hoopla about Finley its not impossible that he could wind up in the doghouse like Barry did earlier in the year while he was struggling to pick up the defensive system. Pop won't give them minutes if they aren't playing D properly, we all know that. Not only that but Finley and Nick carry some injury concerns. I know they aren't going to be playing huge minutes, but as Tim Duncan proved two minutes into the Detroit game you don't have to be out there long to land wrong, or twist a knee, or something like that. If either of them were to lose minutes, either at PG, SG, or SF Barry would fill in great.

Throw in a few great performances in the playoffs, and he's worth keeping. Then you have to consider Finley's at times enigmatic playoff performances. He's been brilliant and dreadful in big games so who knows what to expect. In addition to that, while we'd be paying alot for Brent to do little, there's no shortage of teams out there who would die for the chance to have a player of his caliber for the money we're giving him. Why help the rest of the league?

CaptainLate
09-01-2005, 01:02 PM
Bones' has had his 1 year grace period.... now lets let him play with a full year with the spurs under his belt. He'll be more comfortable, more relaxed, he wont have the burden on his shoulders of having to come out and "prove himself" because he was the lone "big acquisition " last off-season that was supposed to take the Spurs over the top...

And if that "big acquisition" wasn't around in Game 7 to replace Beans and spell TP, we might not be 3-0 in NBA Finals.

Marcus Bryant
09-01-2005, 01:03 PM
Many on this forum feel Barry was a bust last year, so why not deal him and let him stink up the Nuggets?

Because he's better than anything else they can find this offseason.

Marcus Bryant
09-01-2005, 01:05 PM
I say hold on to Barry at this point because he fits in the Spurs offensive system. He gives you a guy who can play significant minutes during the season and help keep guys like NVE, Manu, Bowen and Finley fresh for the postseason. Plus, he gives you a veteran shooter for the end of the bench.

Que Gee
09-01-2005, 01:13 PM
:lmao

Barry never played point guard. Manu was the backup point guard. You can count how many times Barry brought up the ball in the series on one hand.

I like Barry (now) but Holt and the Spurs need to trim costs. Finley is younger and has potential to be a better fit. Finley also is due about half of what Barry is due.

It's simple math right about now.

You've gotta be fuckin kidding me right now? :lol Ya, your right, he barely played any point guard.

Second, I love how everytime the Spurs sign someone its the new "savior." Steve Smith, Hedo, Barry, Finley, NVE...or whatever. No one needs to go anywhere. (which you stated and I agree with) NVE hasn't played a full season in years... and as for Finley, he is A LOT more ONE DIMENSIONAL then people on this board seem to realize. He's not the Finley of 5 or 6 years ago.

Marcus Bryant
09-01-2005, 01:18 PM
You've gotta be fuckin kidding me right now? :lol Ya, your right, he barely played any point guard.

Second, I love how everytime the Spurs sign someone its the new "savior." Steve Smith, Hedo, Barry, Finley, NVE...or whatever. No one needs to go anywhere. (which you stated and I agree with) NVE hasn't played a full season in years... and as for Finley, he is A LOT more ONE DIMENSIONAL then people on this board seem to realize. He's not the Finley of 5 or 6 years ago.

You know, if Finley can shoot 3s at a 40% clip like he did last season, run the break, make the occassional drive/cut to the basket, and learn how to force guys he's defending baseline then he's an excellent acquisition as a backup swing. Anything beyond that is gravy.

Solid D
09-01-2005, 01:25 PM

timvp is correct. Barry had very few trips as PG. He may have had some of TP's backup minutes in Games 5, 6 and 7, but he wasn't bringing the ball up that often. Manu was the primary playmaker when TP was out.

Defensively, when TP was sitting, Barry defended Prince or Hamilton, not Billups and Hunter. They were Manu's and Bruce's assignment.

CaptainLate
09-01-2005, 01:53 PM
Getting Najera would be...sweet.

Not at the expense of Barry.

CaptainLate
09-01-2005, 01:58 PM
If that happens, guess what, he doesn't play. It's that simple....Do you think Pop offered him the starting job? No. Do you think Pop promised him mintues to the moon? No.

We know w/Pop that it comes down to defense. No matter how "offensive" a player is, if he doesn't play D he don't play -- PERIOD!! And I'm sure Pop expressed that in his own way to Mr. Finley.

CaptainLate
09-01-2005, 02:10 PM
Best part is, even if Finley is a complete bust, we have other options. :D

Who knows. CIA Pop may have an agreement with Finley that if by the trade deadline he's unhappy with the amount of PT he's getting that they'd work out a trade.

spurster
09-01-2005, 02:18 PM
During the regular season, there will be plenty of minutes.

If the backcourt starters take up about 30-36 min. each (let's say a total of 100), that leaves about 50 minutes for Van Exel, Finley, Brent, and Beno. 15 min. each for Van Exel, Finley, and Brent with 5 min. for Beno gives most of them good playing time.

During the playoffs is a different matter, but it's no given that it will be Finley in , Barry out.

As far as the lux tax is concerned, I hope the Spurs live with whatever lux tax they have this season. Next season, they can let Nazr walk, which will free some room to bring in Scola.

TDMVPDPOY
09-01-2005, 02:23 PM
I would like to see this team be intact for the rest of the season, and see how it works out, imo barry n beno average performance last season, but its better then nothing and they only contributed what is expected from them, since beno is a rookie just like parkers first season here, and look how parker has develop, i can see beno being sumthing special if he had that killer instinct drive like parker and he be unstoppable withi his accuracy jumpshotz.

I dont know what pop is goin to do with this current team, but i can expect alot of great things this team can achieve. The changes and additions made will not work overnite, but as the season progresses, this team will DOMINATE.

RonMexico
09-01-2005, 02:31 PM
Let me have the first honest post on this board - Brent Barry is a worthless piece of shit who deserves to die in a massive murder-suicide involving his worthless, conceited dick of a father.... only then, will my life finally achieve peace and tranquility. If I never have to see that douchebag's little pussy set shot and run back again, it's too soon... not to mention, the constant asshole look on his face.

RonMexico
09-01-2005, 02:33 PM
Yay!!!! Freethrow line dunk for win at 96 contest!!! Even then, he sucked the big one - PS Finley deserved the championship in that one, so maybe if they get rid of Brent, then Finley finally has the redemption he deserves.

RonMexico
09-01-2005, 02:33 PM
P.S. :elephant

pkulonghorn
09-01-2005, 02:46 PM
Hey Ron Mexico,

I would rather see Rick Barry bludgeon Steve Nash's hey-look-how-free-spirited-I-am-with-my-long-hair-and-shittiest-mvp trophy in the history of the league-face with an 8 pound cinder block.

Underhanded, from 15' away.

Extra points if he survives the initial blow, but bleeds so profusely that he drowns in a crimson puddle comprised of head blood and sero-sanguinous vaginal discharge. Bo Outlaw is then forced to clean the court, as per his contract.

:owned

nkdlunch
09-01-2005, 02:51 PM
Let me have the first honest post on this board - Brent Barry is a worthless piece of shit who deserves to die in a massive murder-suicide involving his worthless, conceited dick of a father.... only then, will my life finally achieve peace and tranquility. If I never have to see that douchebag's little pussy set shot and run back again, it's too soon... not to mention, the constant asshole look on his face.

looks like last season's embarrassment of the Suns hurt some fans more than others

TDMVPDPOY
09-01-2005, 02:52 PM
^^^^ lmao

RonMexico
09-01-2005, 02:54 PM
This has nothing to do with his playoff performance against Phoenix and everything to do with his birth - which should have never happened... he is not a playmaker, nor is he consistent, nor is he a good defender, nor should he have won that 96 dunk contest.... i'm out

RonMexico
09-01-2005, 02:55 PM
And he sucked against Detroit... count it

spurs_fan_in_exile
09-01-2005, 03:00 PM
Ron, if I recall correctly you showed up a while back declaring Barry the most worthless human being in the world. I want to know just what the hell Brent did to you. Steal your woman? Beat you up and take your lunch money as a kid? Told you he loved you, but left after he took your virginity? Your limitless hatred of him goes well beyond the normal "I don't like this player" sort of thing.

Que Gee
09-01-2005, 03:04 PM
timvp is correct. Barry had very few trips as PG. He may have had some of TP's backup minutes in Games 5, 6 and 7, but he wasn't bringing the ball up that often. Manu was the primary playmaker when TP was out.

Defensively, when TP was sitting, Barry defended Prince or Hamilton, not Billups and Hunter. They were Manu's and Bruce's assignment.

The point is NOT who brought up the ball...If you want to judge the point guard on who brought up the ball...fine. But the point guards JOB IS TO RUN THE OFFENSE!!!! AND Barry RAN the offense better than anyone in games 5, 6, 7....Again...its about the game, not ONE aspect of the game. Not who scores the most points, not who brings the ball up...Its how the game is approached by the offense and who is running it. And in those games, when Barry picked up the back up point guard role, he RAN the game for the Spurs far better than Tony...AND MANU. Manu was the playmaker because he benefited from Barry running the point! Go back and watch the games, especially 6 and 7 when TP is out.

marcus
09-01-2005, 03:42 PM
Agreed.

I think there will be times this season when Finley gets the bulk of the backup swing minutes and other times when Barry will. In the playoffs, they'll both be very useful.

Depth isn't a bad thing.

Brent Barry for Johnson and Kleiza.

marcus
09-01-2005, 03:44 PM

Johnson could be much better next season for them besides he has much more potential.

ChumpDumper
09-01-2005, 03:47 PM
Johnson would play even less than Barry this season.

No need.

No trade.

And the numbers don't work anyway.

marcus
09-01-2005, 03:56 PM
Johnson would play even less than Barry this season.

No need.

No trade.

And the numbers don't work anyway.

Denver is highly under the cap.

If we could trade Barry for Kleiza and Johnson with a contract of 2 millons max for the first year then we would be able to re-sign Brown.

ChumpDumper
09-01-2005, 04:05 PM
Denver is highly under the cap.Highly? Hoopshype doesn't include Andre Miller -- his deal puts them nominally over the cap for exception purposes. Giving Denver exactly what they need to contend for guys who won't play doesn't seem like the greatest of ideas regardless.

T Park
09-01-2005, 04:09 PM
wtf would we trade a good shooting guard in Barry to a team like Denver, that could use him to beat us?!?!?!?

That makes sense :rolleyes

Cant_Be_Faded
09-01-2005, 04:19 PM
wtf would we trade a good shooting guard in Barry to a team like Denver, that could use him to beat us?!?!?!?

That makes sense :rolleyes

i didn't know michael moore posted in spurstalk

Guys ChumpDumper said it best...theres no need to do a god damn thing...this roster is off the heeze...finley did not sign up to play hardcore minutes

barry played the entire season, had no surgeries this summer
he hardly ever makes a mistake on the court
he's a 3 point shooter
ball handler

if we get rid of barry simply to save money i swear to god its the fall of Rome all over again...it would be bonehead move of the year
just say it out loud
if we get rid of barry that means backup shooting guard duties will belong to MICHAEL FINLEY

michael finley

whottt is right....this name/person has never scared me or intimidated me into thinking he will ever hit a big shot or do jack shit....hes a solid acquisition but theres no way in hell i would want him taking backup shootinguard duties...no way...especialy with Young Brown gone..

whottt
09-01-2005, 04:27 PM
Interesting thought. Smitty actually had a decent first year here. We'll see.

He was good up until the All Star Break.

Best part is, even if Finley is a complete bust, we have other options.

This is true. I didn't say it was going to cost us the title...but it might make it more difficult if he's not getting the PT he wants.

(You mean he might be as bad during the regular season as Barry was last year. . .) :D

Oh if he gets as many minutes as Barry he'll definitely put up better points than Barry did....but if he's jacking up a bunch of bad shots and making a lot of TO's(the two worst things about his game) he'll be more of a hindrance than a help.

I am not certain he is going to be a bad pick up...I like Finley's character generally(althugh he is a Bowen whiner)...but there is a very good chance he'll turn out to be Smitty part 2.....I think the NVE pick up was the huge pick up for us...and if anyone makes Barry expendable it's NVE...not Finley. Finley really doesn't give us anything we don't already have...and he's used to starting, playing in an undisciplined offensive system where shots are not at a premium, and being the heart and soul of the team...none of which he will be here.

BillsCarnage
09-01-2005, 04:42 PM

Not sold on Finely being a championship key yet...I predict the Mavs won't miss him in the slightest.

As for Barry...

Barry may not put up a lot of points but he doesn't make stupid plays or turnovers and when he does take a big shot he usually makes it...

This is not true for Finley...Finley has never scared me as an opponent...never, not once....Finley getting the ball late in the game has never rated a big measurement on the whottt clutch scale...unlike Nick the quick, who has always rated very highly...

It does make sense to move Barry due to age and contract, but only if we are certain that Finely is who we want, but what happens if Finley doesn't want to return?
And Najera would be a nice pick up...but I don't consider him a need.

I hope the Spurs hold off on trading Barry...our biggest needs were a long SF and scoring punch...NVE takes care of the scoring punch...Finely doesn't do anything to fill those long SF needs IMO....he basically duplicates Barry's skills only he is much more willing to take a crappy shot or make a shitty pass...and he's not going to defer to guys he should be deferring too as much as Barry does...

In short....Finley has to prove he can be a role player...I don't think he can do it yet. Over-rated and overkill on this team.

whottt comin with the rational input. refreshing! I was losing hope it existed on this board.

z0sa
09-01-2005, 04:54 PM
Barry also made his share of careless turnover (the extra pass with good intentions) and he was a liability on defense. But he is a very smart player and, as you've stated, he came up big in some games during the run.

Having watched Finley here in Big D for several years, there is some credence to those criticisms of Finley. He's got a bad handle, can't create his own shot and will take bad shots. I worry about the flow of the offense with him because he doesn't pass well - never has.

I was unaware that he shot so well from 3 pt line. I only hope he'll have a good year with us.

You're wrong - Finley can create his own shot, especially if he goes left. When he gets into that zone he is really hard to stop shooting wise. And hes not a bad rebounder by any stretch of the imagination, and with tim duncan down in the middle to get him open looks at the 3pt line, I can more than imagine him having career numbers in 3pt percentage.

Spurminator
09-01-2005, 05:01 PM
hes not a bad rebounder by any stretch of the imagination

He is a horrible rebounder.

T Park
09-01-2005, 05:13 PM
5 rebounds a game is horrible?

z0sa
09-01-2005, 05:19 PM
I mean for a guy 6-7, hes not a bad rebounder.

pkulonghorn
09-01-2005, 05:21 PM
RonMex

Let's file the 96 dunk contest under Never Should've Won along with Nash's 2005 Most Vaginal Placenta

Also Barry for Barkley's all-time ring count plus one. Count it.

Just try to think of Barry as a sort of Thunder Dan who had the common sense to let the great players on the team do all the work while he sat back and won a Championship.

Seriously, as a Phoenix fan, you have no grounds on which to criticize Barry. Go wallow in your desert induced skin cancer. :drunk

Knoxville Spur
09-01-2005, 05:38 PM
All though I agree we paid a bit too much for Rasho, I still like him in matchups against Yao and Shaq. Can't we offset him with some of the underpaid guys and just be happy with that? He does give us valuable depth and Oberto is not a given to be successful.

whottt
09-01-2005, 05:56 PM
whottt comin with the rational input. refreshing! I was losing hope it existed on this board.

Glad you like my take...

But will you like it just as much when I tell you that your team isn't going to be as good this year as it was last year?

Be rational...Losing QRich and JJohnson has weakened your team.

Cant_Be_Faded
09-01-2005, 06:14 PM
if we trade barry there will be heck to pay
HECK i tell ya

Dalamar_the_Dark
09-01-2005, 09:05 PM
Trading Barry and letting Nazr walk (or trading Rasho) keep the Spurs away from the luxury tax threshold for the next five years.

I'd rather Barry stay on the team, but it doesn't make much financial sense.

Thats why I say the Spurs will trade Nazr. Why let him walk when he has value. Get some picks for him! This is so freaking obvious. Nazr will never be our starting center of the future. Spurs signing of Oberto makes it obvious. I think Im the only one whos saying that Nazr will be the one traded. Why does everyone think that Nazr will start this season and re-sign with the Spurs next season?

I just dont see what you guys seem to believe that u're seeing.

ChumpDumper
09-01-2005, 09:16 PM
I do believe that the starting center spot is very much in the air right now. If Rasho plays the way he did shortly before his injury, he has more than a fair chance of winning his spot back.

whottt
09-01-2005, 09:17 PM
I think the Spurs will keep the one Duncan likes better if they can out of Rasho and Nazr...probably Nazr. But Nazr could also be a nice trade piece...possibly brining a lottery pick.

I think the Spurs should hold off on trading Barry until they know for certain that Finley will be a better fit for the team. He's a better scorer...but I don't think that alone means he fits the team better. If Barry is buried on the bench at the trade deadline, they need to move him.