PDA

View Full Version : Only negative point of the spurs

marcus
08-31-2005, 10:48 PM
i think that the only negative point of this spurs is that they are starting to look older. This year that wont hurt but it might in the future with an older Duncan. I just remark this because if we give at least a small importance to this aspect then we will be able to adjust better with time and maybe we will stay competitive even with a reduced Tim.

All this i say it on relation to the LLE and maybe some possibility for a trade.

First, i think we should at least try to get a 2nd round pick (possibly from Utah) in exchange for Brown.

Then, i say we should focus on all young players to use what we have left, the LLE.

The 1st option could be Matt Barners. We could offer him at least a 2 years deal with 500,000 the first year.

The second player i believe that could be a really good option is Randolph Morris. He was projected to be a top second round pick but finally stayed undrafted. He has great shape and he is 19 years old. I think we could sign him for some kind of rookie contract with 700,000 on the first year, 800,000 in the second, team option in the third for 1,000,000 ansd then qualifying offer for the 4th year.

The 3rd option although i am not certain about it could be Taylor Coppenrath. He is 23 through. But he could be a good option for the spurs as he is a hard worker kind of player and gives his best on both sides of the court. Also, he can be pretty effective on the offensive end.

FromWayDowntown
08-31-2005, 10:53 PM
That's a concern. I don't know that it's the only negative point for this team, but it's something to think about.

The Spurs still have some matchup problems with certain players, Mohammed (assuming he starts) is not a classic defensive center, they still don't have a true distributor, and I think the second unit defense is now a major concern.

marcus
08-31-2005, 10:57 PM
That's a concern. I don't know that it's the only negative point for this team, but it's something to think about.

The Spurs still have some matchup problems with certain players, Mohammed (assuming he starts) is not a classic defensive center, they still don't have a true distributor, and I think the second unit defense is now a major concern.

But for the present in general we have a kick ass team so that things doesn't hurt so much. About the defensive center, we got Oberto who can play good defense and for the distributor, we will have one year more experienced Parker and Nick Van Exel.
The defensive issue can be controlled by mixing starters with bench players besides everyone improve on defense when playing for the spurs. It happened to Glenn Robinson and with Mohammed as well in some aspects.

marcus
08-31-2005, 11:04 PM
Oh, and i forgot to say, on relation to this issue, that between this new team and the team of last season we got worse on potential for the future since all the players we signed are old or almost old and all the players from last season are one year older.

Again, i must say that this is just like a small warning.

Mr. Body
08-31-2005, 11:07 PM
Age is a concern. The bench looks much older than the starters, minus Bowen. But the most important players are still all under 30.

Van Exel's in for a year, apparently. Finley's only 32, right? So he should have a few years left. Horry might start getting phazed out after this year and get even more stashed away for the playoffs the year after this one (his last year, I believe).

The Spurs FO will now turn their attention to bringing in young talent. The young, athletic SF ideal still needs to be addressed. The recent draft picks like Sanikidze and Mahinmi are a long way from being ready. Scola will pop up next year.

But ultimately they're in great shape, with plenty of contingencies if one of the older players goes down with injuries.

Trainwreck2100
08-31-2005, 11:09 PM
I would like to see the length of time we have these players before I agree with the first statement.

marcus
09-01-2005, 12:02 AM
Parker is supposed to be the player to lead the spurs in 7 years or so but he doesn't seem to be a player that can take us to the promised land.

Spursdaone
09-01-2005, 12:21 AM
The only negative point of the spurs is they keep bringing in over the hill players with nothing left. What a waste of money.

Rummpd
09-01-2005, 12:27 AM
An extremely valid down the road issue, but the bottom line in the TD era = 3 championships, trip to the Virgin Isles (tough road trip that is), 2-3 more titles very plausible now in next few years = as they say in Aussie land = "no worries".

Px - Sit back and enjoy a special 3-5 year era whereby an astute organization has built carefully a stellar team, age concerns be dammed for now.

Kori Ellis
09-01-2005, 12:30 AM
The only negative point of the spurs is they keep bringing in over the hill players with nothing left. What a waste of money.

What over the hill player have they brought in before that had nothing left?

Robert Horry?

:flipoff

:lol

TDMVPDPOY
09-01-2005, 12:34 AM
At the end of an era ends with duncan, the beginning of the future IAN MAHINMI :D:D

TheTruth
09-01-2005, 12:35 AM
maybe it would be a negative if they were under long term contracts.

TheTruth
09-01-2005, 12:35 AM
Dude, you are a retard. Name the last over the hill player they brought in that couldn't contribute?

Dalamar_the_Dark
09-01-2005, 12:41 AM
Ignore that idiot. Ive always like the role players Pop and Buford surround the core players. A good few come to mind. Horry for one. Kevin Willis is the other. Mario Elie as well. Oh yeah how about Porter and Ferry. OMFG those guys are old as hell. But you know what? They kick ass.

Kori Ellis
09-01-2005, 12:49 AM
Bigs

Timmy D (29)
Nazr (almost 28)
Rasho (29)
Oberto (30)
Horry (35)

Wings

Manu (28)
Bruce (34)
Barry (33)
Finley (32)

Tony 23
NVE 33 (only here one year)
Beno 23

Rights to:

Mahinmi (19)
Sanikidze (19)
Scola (25)
Javtokas (25)
Karaulov (24?)

Doesn't seem too bad to me at all. Plus I think the Spurs will pick up two more young players to ride the inactive list this season.

ChumpDumper
09-01-2005, 12:53 AM
Oh fucking whaa.

Win now.

Worry later.

Ghost isn't here so I must say it.

Tek_XX
09-01-2005, 03:36 AM
Yeah start worrying when you're starters are in their thirties, i don't see how signing NVE and Finley to small contracts is really that big of a deal. Besides the window here for winning multiple championships is small so we have to surround Tim with as much help as possible despite their age.

slayermin
09-01-2005, 03:48 AM
Rights to:

Mahinmi (19)
Sanikidze (19)
Scola (25)
Javtokas (25)
Karaulov (24?)

Wow. Subconsciously, I knew they had the rights to these players. But reading all the names in one list, for some reason, looks extremely impressive.

team-work
09-01-2005, 04:13 AM
The age issue shouldn't be overlooked, either during the tight regular season, when back-to-back games are so frequent, or during OT games, or the playoff race, when tough teams like Detroit are met and it goes all the way to 7 games!

Dingle Barry
09-01-2005, 04:50 AM
Age means much less when you are as deep across the board as this team is. Worry about Duncan's age only.

team-work
09-01-2005, 05:31 AM
The Spurs owned the draft rights to a number of quality players. Just hope that they will brought in one day without the difficulties of bringing in Scola.

P.S.
The Spurs seems 'older' just because it's becoming a model franchise where quality veteran players, who longs for championship and don't mind being role players, will join.

ZStomp
09-01-2005, 06:32 AM
I swear..some fans.

If it's not one thing. It's another. It's a great time to be a fan man!

I hate to burst some of your bubbles but one day in the future- the Spurs will not be good. Yes, I said that. Look at the Bulls, Lakers, etc.

MiNuS
09-01-2005, 10:52 AM
I swear..some fans.

If it's not one thing. It's another. It's a great time to be a fan man!

I hate to burst some of your bubbles but one day in the future- the Spurs will not be good. Yes, I said that. Look at the Bulls, Lakers, etc.
Its very important that we don't forget what was the demise of those teams.It wasn't necessarily the players rather management and the coaches.
I believe that as long as the Spurs are intact in the FO and keep CIA POP they can keep winning.Duncan is certainly hard to replace but IMO it ALL starts at the TOP that cannot be replaced so easily. Just ask the lowly Lakers and their GM. There is also something about playing in a "small" market and keeping the egos in check.Hey San Antonio is a BEAUTIFUL CITY! That believe it or not gets points in the players decisions.

dbreiden83080
09-01-2005, 11:20 AM
The Bulls in their second run at a 3 peat had some age on them, more than the Spurs do now by far and it did not hurt them at all. The Spurs are fine concentrate on this year and our prospects which look better now that they ever have before.

DesiSpur_21
09-01-2005, 12:46 PM
The current roster looks set for 2-3 years - so the need for short term goal of stacking up c'ships NOW is met. Lot of teams struggle to just put a contender team for a season.

Fin,NVE, Horry (and probably Bowen) will be gone in 2-3 years - with Scola,Mahinmi coming in. Manu and and Tim will be in early 30s and it'll be pretty much up to Parker to run the show.

With RC in the house, no need to panic....yet.

Marcus Bryant
09-01-2005, 01:00 PM
Oh fucking whaa.

Win now.

Worry later.

Ghost isn't here so I must say it.

Indeed. What's wrong with a team model built on an-in-their prime core with the supporting cast comprised of experienced vets? When it's the playoffs and the Spurs need to go to their bench, wouldn't you want a Michael Finley or Nick Van Exel there instead of a Linton Johnson?

Marcus Bryant
09-01-2005, 01:02 PM
Fuck. Stop worrying about the 2008-09 season and enjoy watching the Spurs beat down the league for the next couple of seasons.

mookie2001
09-01-2005, 01:20 PM
Duncan is a year older.
there are some other nba teams who have to deal with situations similar to this.

Rescueone
09-01-2005, 02:19 PM
Indeed. What's wrong with a team model built on an-in-their prime core with the supporting cast comprised of experienced vets? When it's the playoffs and the Spurs need to go to their bench, wouldn't you want a Michael Finley or Nick Van Exel there instead of a Linton Johnson?

Nicely put... :tu :tu I'll take an old experienced role player in cluth time vs a young kid with show boat on his mind anytime.

ZStomp
09-01-2005, 02:50 PM
Fuck. Stop worrying about the 2008-09 season and enjoy watching the Spurs beat down the league for the next couple of seasons.

That's all i'm saying. enjoy the present man!

marcus
09-01-2005, 03:39 PM
That's all i'm saying. enjoy the present man!

the thing is we have chances of getting better flor the future without messing the present. As tradeable players Rasho and Barry should make that cut.

Maybe we should negociate with denver who is interested in Barry.

Maybe a good option could be something like Barry for Hodge and Najera if they like it.