PDA

View Full Version : Amateur: Jordan: most thin-skinned owner of all time?

Clipper Nation
01-09-2015, 12:55 AM
Charles Barkley and Michael Jordan used to be close friends. Now Jordan won't talk to him.

Can you guess why? It turns out, Barkley was a little too candid in commenting on Jordan's work in Charlotte.

While the MJ-owned franchise was in the process of putting up the lowest single-season win total in NBA history, Barkley took Jordan to task for the bad job he had done with the team. It doesn't seem like a particularly hostile thing to do -- when you're historically bad, people tend to point it out.

But Jordan is a sensitive man, a highly competitive man, and he wasn't handling the then-Bobcats' losing ways well. When he heard Barkley's comments, he wrote the TNT analyst off.

"I said Michael wasn't doing a good job -- he's doing a great job now, [the Hornets have] gotten better, they've made some great signings -- but they weren't doing good and I thought he didn't have good people around him," Barkley says on the Seth Davis Show (http://campusinsiders.com/videos/charles_barkley_on_why_hes_no_longer_friends_with_ michael_jordan_2015_01_07_16_08). "And I said that, because I was asked that question. Your job is to be an analyst."

Jordan didn't see it that way, though. He felt betrayed by Barkley and lashed out at him with profanity-laced tirades, even as Barkley explained that he couldn't go on the radio or television and argue that Jordan was doing a good job.

http://yahoo.thepostgame.com/blog/dish/201501/charles-barkley-explains-why-michael-jordan-no-longer-his-friend

:lol DK
:lol Salty as fuck

100%duncan
01-09-2015, 12:58 AM
lol signing stephenson

Malik Hairston
01-09-2015, 01:07 AM
One of the most unlikable people in the history of planet Earth, tbh..

Extremely lucky he played in an era without social media, Youtube, in-depth reporting, etc..unfortunately, his branding and marketing has brainwashed an entire generation of people that ignore all his flaws as a player and as a person..

lefty
01-09-2015, 01:07 AM

Extremely lucky he played in an era without social media, Youtube, in-depth reporting, etc..unfortunately, his branding and marketing has brainwashed an entire generation of people that ignore all his flaws as a player and as a person..

lefty
01-09-2015, 01:20 AM
Barkley is an idiot

MJ never was his friend.

During the 93 Finals MJ told someone "that fat fuck thinks we're friends"

Thebesteva
01-09-2015, 01:26 AM

It would be interesting to see how he would fair in a twitter, youtube world. Had no idea MJ was this horrible of a human being, but Kobe and Lebron are scumbags too in different ways tbh

Malik Hairston
01-09-2015, 01:33 AM
Kobe is a great example of how DK would be treated today, tbh..

Kobe has been destroyed by the new media/advanced media era, all the stories about his shitty attitude as a teammate are being exposed, all the Youtube videos of his style of play, etc..

DK was just a harder version of Kobe..rather than just calling teammates out, he would physically assault them:lol..

spurraider21
01-09-2015, 01:49 AM
youtube would have made MJ even bigger, with all the highlight reels he'd have. MJ also grades out incredibly well with advanced stats

Red Hawk #21
01-09-2015, 02:14 AM
DK was just a harder version of Kobe..rather than just calling teammates out, he would physically assault them :lol..

:rollin

Infinite_limit
01-09-2015, 02:38 AM
Would you be friends with Barkley's mouth? Once one or the other quits their current jobs, they will hang out again

Clipper Nation
01-09-2015, 02:42 AM
:lol at DK slurpers actually blaming Barkley for criticizing DK's 7-59 Bobcats... was he supposed to talk about how great of a job he was doing at fielding a winning team?

Clipper Nation
01-09-2015, 02:43 AM
youtube would have made MJ even bigger, with all the highlight reels he'd have. MJ also grades out incredibly well with advanced stats

The gambling scandal would have ruined DK's career and reputation in today's world, much like what the steroid scandal did to Barry Bonds.

Infinite_limit
01-09-2015, 02:46 AM
The gambling scandal would have ruined DK's career and reputation in today's world, much like what the steroid scandal did to Barry Bonds.
Barry went from a Hall of Famer to All Time Greatest at this position because of steroids. Gambling had no such affect on Jordan

MJ was also tremendous in front of the mic. He would have killed it on ESPN, youtube and twitter

unforeseen
01-09-2015, 04:45 AM
As long as Kirby doesn't ring, tbh.

jeebus
01-09-2015, 09:43 AM
Space Jam is the GOAT. You don't need faggot friends when you're God's Gift to this shithole planet. The Hornets are just an investment to make more money; Peyton buys Papa John's franchises to retire on, Space Jam buys NBA teams. The salt is str:lolng in this thread.

unleashbaynes
01-09-2015, 11:16 AM
For a taller dude with so much money, MJ sure does seem like a miserable little man.

lefty
01-09-2015, 11:25 AM
Space Jam is the GOAT. You don't need faggot friends when you're God's Gift to this shithole planet. The Hornets are just an investment to make more money; Peyton buys Papa John's franchises to retire on, Space Jam buys NBA teams. The salt is str:lolng in this thread.
:lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faZxq1XjdPY#t=115

http://ballislife.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/kerr.jpg

ambchang
01-09-2015, 11:43 AM
MJ being a horrible insecure human being really isn't news. Anybody who read the Jordan Rules, which came out in the early 90s, would know about this.

However, that doesn't dismiss his dominance on the court. His regular stats, advanced stats, individual accolades and team success speak for themselves. The only possible knock on his legacy is the comparatively weak competition (two major expansions over the span of 5 or 6 years. First the Charlotte, Miami, Orlando and Wolves in 1989, then the Canadian expansion in 1994 or so). All that diluted talent before the international influx. But then again the Bulls were affected by the same as well.

For all the talk people make about rule changes and stuff opening the game and making it less ISO-oriented, people doesn't really talk about the dilution of talent much. The talent gap between the best and rest was so large in the 90s, that an ISO-oriented offense is preferable, because the best players can actually abuse the other team without someone to match that level of dominance. The talent gap narrowed with the influx of talent from around the world, and teams are more balanced as a result, forcing coaches to come up with more and more complex offensive and defensive schemes. We still see teams loaded with talent running ISO ball with success (Thunder, to a degree Rockets), because they can.

jeebus
01-09-2015, 11:49 AM

Je Suis Charlie, Kerr's arms were fuckin huge in the 90s.

lefty
01-09-2015, 11:53 AM
MJ needed the refs, Pippen, rules change, etc :lol

:lol Pippen was the one guariding the other teams' best perimeter players, DK was overrated in defense

:lol DK had little impact on the Buls; everybody talks about his record vs Celtics in the 1st round of the 86 playoffs, but he missed most of the season and they made the playoffs without him; that Buls team wasnt so shitty; Mike came back from the playoffs, fucked up the team chemstry by going solo in the series

:lol MJ retires and the Bulls win 55 games as opposed to 57 the previous season, almost make it to the ECF

#jenesuispascharlie

jeebus
01-09-2015, 12:04 PM
http://i.imgur.com/2XZMwFT.jpg

lefty (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=6896), struggling to keep his shitty theories afloat. I'll bet you think the Spurs won the '99 title because of Enrique :lol

Charlie would be ashamed of you.

lefty
01-09-2015, 12:05 PM
I'll bet you think the Spurs won the '99 title because of Enrique :lol
:lol are you fucking serious ?

Koolaid_Man
01-09-2015, 12:09 PM
Why am I not surprised to find Spur fan hating on MJ....the same fans of a guy who touted family values while he was fucking another dude and getting cucked at the same dam time....

Barkley was wrong to criticize MJ without any empirical evidence....his fat ass didn't criticize Larry Bird not once....all Barkley did was tow the media line....Barkley talking about MJ had bad people around him as if he's even educated enough to know what that means...all the people MJ ever had around him would run circles around Barkley intellectually...Barkley's mistake was to associate losing with being a bad owner....it's a fallacy...MJ inherited a bad team from the start and it takes time to turn that around as a new team....Golden State is a prime example they've been bad since the days of Chris Mullin just now recovering....San Antonio is another team that was historically bad until the Tammy tank job....they got some decent international players and turned it around in the short term....even though they're about to suck again real soon...

So Barkley was just running with the ESPN narrative....that if you have a losing team it means you're a bad owner...I don't blame MJ for one second to disown that fat jealous fuck...

MJ and Kobe forever....:toast 1-2 that's it and that's all

Killakobe81
01-09-2015, 12:17 PM
i think a horrible human being is a bit strong. An ass-hole borderline socio-path when it comes to winning and a gambler with "revenge" issues. Not only was parts of his HOF speech a window to all of this (and the Jordan rules) but SI did a great article on his treatment of his HS coach and the guy that took his spot on varsity who both have been treated shabby by history because MJ really never got cut the way the story is spun and the guy he marks with taking his varsity spot was one of like 12 dudes who beat him out.

But as AMB said none of that matters. People here want their stars humble like Tim or cool and sociable like Lebron freaking buddies with all team-mates and opponents but some of the most successful businessmen, entertainers and athletes are just assholes and see us fans/consumers as a burden, dollar signs or potential stalkers. And see team-mates, colleagues and coaches/bosses as necessary evils to accomplish their own selfish goals. that is real life and if you work at a big enough company or a competitve field there is an MJ fighting you for your bonus or that would slit your throat for a raise.

Koolaid_Man
01-09-2015, 12:22 PM
i think a horrible human being is a bit strong. An ass-hole borderline socio-path when it comes to winning and a gambler with "revenge" issues. Not only was parts of his HOF speech a window to all of this (and the Jordan rules) but SI did a great article on his treatment of his HS coach and the guy that took his spot on varsity who both have been treated shabby by history because MJ really never got cut the way the story is spun and the guy he marks with taking his varsity spot was one of like 12 dudes who beat him out.

But as AMB said none of that matters. People here want their stars humble like Tim or cool and sociable like Lebron freaking buddies with all team-mates and opponents but some of the most successful businessmen, entertainers and athletes are just assholes and see us fans/consumers as a burden, dollar signs or potential stalkers. And see team-mates, colleagues and coaches/bosses as necessary evils to accomplish their own selfish goals. that is real life and if you work at a big enough company or a competitve field there is an MJ fighting you for your bonus or that would slit your throat for a raise.

I don't want humble or sociable stars....those are the ones that get cucked....MJ and Kobe would have never gotten cucked like Tammy....no way man :lol they were and are true alpha's...they don't hire detectives to follow their wives ....it's usually the other way around you dig...:lmao but I feel ya on that work perspective.....this is what America is all about....selfishness and greed and in corporate America that plays out every second of the day

mavsfan1000
01-09-2015, 12:39 PM
Perfect example of money not buying happiness. Jordan looks quite miserable these days.

Splits
01-09-2015, 12:42 PM
GOAT NBA player just being the GOAT competitor. Nothing to see here.

benefactor
01-09-2015, 01:13 PM
He might be the most thin-skinned human being of all time. This is the same guy who brought his old coach and the teammate that started ahead of him to his HOF ceremony just so he could berate them publicly.:lol

Killakobe81
01-09-2015, 01:53 PM
He might be the most thin-skinned human being of all time. This is the same guy who brought his old coach and the teammate that started ahead of him to his HOF ceremony just so he could berate them publicly.:lol

this. you would think he would be above shit like that ... but he is not. In another article he berated a friend for not wearing Nike stuff made him change. I get Nike made him a lot of money but to hear him tell was about loyalty not checks. So it seems like with Chuck (back to OP) MJ cannot stand any sort of betrayal whether blatant or not.

MJ is the Godfather and he wont stand for that shit ... Kobe pays his monthly dues the protection money so jordan lets him "earn". Lebron does not and so MJ takes subtle shits on him when he can ...

jeebus
01-09-2015, 01:54 PM
:lol are you fucking serious ?
You can't flim flam the zim zam imo.

Mr Bones
01-09-2015, 01:58 PM
I've always contrasted Jordan with Bill Russell-- both were great players and winners, but if you take away Russell's basketball success-- and he had the most successful basketball career in the history of the sport-- you have a human being who was passionate about civil rights, social justice, and a whole range of other important topics. I love Jordan's game, but in many ways he represents for me the corporate styled persona obsessed with his brand-- his refusal to back a black Democratic congressional candidate running against Jesse Helms, one of the most racist senators in modern America, is nothing short of shameful and he himself admitted later that he'd made a mistake: http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/07/06/547154/-Republicans-Wear-Sneakers-Too-Michael-Jordan-endorses-Harvey-Gantt

lefty
01-09-2015, 02:00 PM
You can't flim flam the zim zam imo.
http://i.imgur.com/k4omNCD.gif

DMC
01-10-2015, 11:44 AM
I'm glad MJ doesn't like losing, because it seems like the NBA is littered with owners who don't mind.

DMX7
01-10-2015, 01:23 PM

I forgive you, MJ. You are a big man for apologizing!!!

Arcadian
01-10-2015, 02:15 PM
I don't want humble or sociable stars...

What you want is a superstar who is both extremely competitive and a good teammate. That's the perfect combination, and that's TD. It is possible to be both humble and competetive. They're not mutually exclusive. And TD proves that.

As a Kobe fan, you won't admit this (or even be capable of understanding), but it's the truth.

HemisfairArena
01-10-2015, 08:33 PM
Jordan is the best ever as a player. Ownership is just a retirement move to play around and own a team. After all Jordan said Kobe is one of the best ever so we know his eye for talent is shit. He also thought Kwame Brown was worthy of a number 1 pick.

lefty
01-10-2015, 10:01 PM
I forgive you, MJ. You are a big man for apologizing!!!

:cry thanks for apologizing , Michael
:cry such a nice guy

Sean Cagney
01-11-2015, 02:59 AM

Great player, complete asshole and then some a person to say the least. I have heard several things about that guy and believe most of them to be true (Charles said he never tips at all for one and Chamillionaires story about him with the jersey on youtube etc.). He is just a sensitive fuck and a bad person, remember his HOF speech and someone saying he is considered the best ever and he still is out there trying to settle the score and so on after retirement.

Sean Cagney
01-11-2015, 03:07 AM
Why am I not surprised to find Spur fan hating on MJ....the same fans of a guy who touted family values while he was fucking another dude and getting cucked at the same dam time....

Barkley was wrong to criticize MJ without any empirical evidence....his fat ass didn't criticize Larry Bird not once....all Barkley did was tow the media line....Barkley talking about MJ had bad people around him as if he's even educated enough to know what that means...all the people MJ ever had around him would run circles around Barkley intellectually...Barkley's mistake was to associate losing with being a bad owner....it's a fallacy...MJ inherited a bad team from the start and it takes time to turn that around as a new team....Golden State is a prime example they've been bad since the days of Chris Mullin just now recovering....San Antonio is another team that was historically bad until the Tammy tank job....they got some decent international players and turned it around in the short term....even though they're about to suck again real soon...

So Barkley was just running with the ESPN narrative....that if you have a losing team it means you're a bad owner...I don't blame MJ for one second to disown that fat jealous fuck...

MJ and Kobe forever....:toast 1-2 that's it and that's all

Too bad Kobe is not the #2 player of all times though so it's not 1-2....