PDA

View Full Version : Buck Harvey: Finley follows the leader: As Duncan relates

Manu20
09-01-2005, 12:10 AM
Buck Harvey: Finley follows the leader: As Duncan relates
Web Posted: 09/01/2005 12:00 AM CDT

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/columnists/bharvey/stories/MYSA090105.1C.COL.BKNharvey.finley.12e81f7b.html

San Antonio Express-News

I didn't see this coming.

Then again, Gregg Popovich didn't either. I thought Finley would sign with the Heat because of money, and Popovich thought Finley would sign with Phoenix because of relationships there.

No one is exactly sure why Finley took less money to play in a city he doesn't know. The signing of a friend, Nick Van Exel, couldn't have meant that much.

So what happened?

Something I should have seen coming. When Finley called Tim Duncan on his own, without prompting, and these men talked, Finley connected with his low-key, high-character brother.

Popovich likely made a difference, too. Put him in a room with these stars, and millionaires who are accustomed to being told what they want to hear often welcome his blunt honesty.

Jason Kidd liked Popovich two years ago even when he turned down the Spurs, and Karl Malone did, too. Brent Barry came to the Spurs mostly because of Popovich, and, of course, Duncan stayed because of him.

For those who think Mike Krzyzewski should be the next U.S. Olympic coach: Popovich is a far better choice.

This time, though, Popovich may have gotten along too well. The Spurs needed someone who could score off the bench, and now they have two new shooters with old legs.

There could still be changes; Barry, because of his contract, likely will be shopped for anything in return. Still, going by today's roster, 11 Spurs will fully expect to contribute next season.

The team looks similar to the 1999 champions. Then veteran reserves such as Steve Kerr and Jerome Kersey struggled to get off the bench. Both didn't always like the situation, but at least they were accustomed to this status. For Finley and Van Exel, the role is new territory.

Popovich will face new territory, too. He's often subbed with an emphasis on defense, and how many Spurs will come off the bench for that? Robert Horry and Rasho Nesterovic are two, and perhaps Fabricio Oberto is another.

The number of shots available will be an issue, as will age. Horry is 35, and next season Oberto turns 31, Barry 34, Bruce Bowen 34, Finley 33 and Van Exel 34.

But the unknown is chemistry. Barry, for example, was supposed to be the perfect piece last season, and he was that in just a handful of games.

How could these Spurs be thrown off? Anything that keeps the ball out of Manu Ginobili's hands.

So it's too early to pencil in 70 wins, but Popovich will take this week's signings with no questions asked. He'd rather have too many options than not enough.

Both Finley and Van Exel had to see the same potential logjam. But with Duncan around, they know the shots will be taken where and when they should be taken. Finley and Van Exel, as Mavericks, saw this firsthand in the 2003 Western Conference finals.

Duncan has proven he will share the ball almost to a fault. Popovich instructs the Spurs to play the right way, but Duncan's presence demands it. If he will pass out of a double team to Beno Udrih, he certainly will with Finley.

Amare Stoudemire, as remarkable as he is, doesn't play the same way. As a Western Conference coach said Wednesday upon hearing Finley had signed with the Spurs instead of the Suns, "It's a chance to play with Duncan."

For Finley, it's more that just basketball. He's a decent man and also an unassuming one. Those who know him say he walks without a strut. See him in a health club, working out, and he will act like just another dues-paying regular.

He is, in effect, Duncan. Going to Miami would have thrown Finley onto a flashy stage. Coming to San Antonio puts him in a no-nonsense locker room with a like-minded star.

Duncan's message Monday to Van Exel summed that up. "We would love to have you," Duncan told him, "but we don't need you."

Popovich didn't see all of this when he flew to meet with Finley. Then Popovich did most of the talking, and Finley listened without showing many outward signs.

Popovich wasn't encouraged by it. I thought the economics dictated Finley would play elsewhere.

Then came a phone call.

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-01-2005, 12:18 AM
Kind of a weird article from Buck. Pretty ho-hum if you ask me.

TheTruth
09-01-2005, 12:22 AM
Buck Harvey sucks

Spursdaone
09-01-2005, 12:25 AM
Finley would rather screw up San Antonio than Miami. He felt it would be wrong for him to ruin Miami's chemistry.

2centsworth
09-01-2005, 12:27 AM
How could these Spurs be thrown off? Anything that keeps the ball out of Manu Ginobili's hands.

That alone tells me Buck knows what he's talking about.

Mr. Body
09-01-2005, 12:28 AM
Kind of a weird article from Buck. Pretty ho-hum if you ask me.

Like he said, it's hard to write when you're shocked.

TDMVPDPOY
09-01-2005, 12:39 AM
Duncan's message Monday to Van Exel summed that up. "We would love to have you," Duncan told him, "but we don't need you."

LMAO, i dont think duncan would ever say that.

Dalamar_the_Dark
09-01-2005, 12:49 AM

LMAO, i dont think duncan would ever say that.

He did say that.

milkyway21
09-01-2005, 01:17 AM
Something I should have seen coming. When Finley called Tim Duncan on his own, without prompting, and these men talked, Finley connected with his low-key, high-character brother.

i was asking this Q before:what he's waiting for?
I think he's just waiting for Duncan to call, but he didn't. Then KG ,Marion & Amare visited him, but no Tim.

he opted to call him instead to see if he's needed in S.A.

Tim beat ShaQ(for Horry) & KG(Rasho), again.

it's not fair :D