PDA

View Full Version : Brandan Wright is available

Mr Bones
01-09-2015, 12:25 PM
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/09/report-danny-ainge-told-brandan-wright-he-is-on-the-trading-block/

Mr Bones
01-09-2015, 12:30 PM
The perfect bench/role player... always has a positive influence in limited minutes, knows his strengths/weaknesses, very high PER, great +/-.

apalisoc_9
01-09-2015, 12:35 PM
Suns, Hawks...

look_at_g_shred
01-09-2015, 01:04 PM
No. We've got Ayres!

jeebus
01-09-2015, 02:00 PM
If we can get him for the minimum, why not?

Mr Bones
01-09-2015, 02:05 PM
Hilarious... This thread pretty much sums up Spurstalk. When a career cancer, low efficiency, low IQ player like Josh Smith becomes available, literally hundreds of comments appear. We gotta get him! I saw his awesome dunks on Sportscenter a few years ago! When a mature, intelligent, hyper efficient player like Brandan Wright becomes available, it barely registers a blip.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-09-2015, 02:29 PM
I think he'd be a nice addition.

weebo
01-09-2015, 03:02 PM
As much as I would like to see the Spurs shake up the roster with some new blood, we all know it's not happening.

MarCowMar
01-09-2015, 03:26 PM
If his contract is at $5 million do we have anything to make that work without fundamentally restructuring our roster?

dabom
01-09-2015, 03:34 PM
I like this guy. He can dunk atleast. :lol
But seriously he does provide some matchup problems.

loveforthegame
01-09-2015, 03:36 PM
Been a fan since his injured days in GS. The kind of high IQ and energy guy you'd love to have on the second unit.

He'd be perfect for the Spurs but I don't see it happening.

Chris
01-09-2015, 04:02 PM
If we can get him for the minimum, why not?

:lol

jyra
01-09-2015, 04:10 PM
I don't know about the fit. He can obviously score on the P&R but he barely takes any shots outside of the paint so pairing him with TD or Splitter is not really going to work too well. His defensive rebounding is also pretty weak for a guy that athletic (DREB% is comparable to Danny Green's).
He is also on an expiring contract and paying a fourth big $5 mill/year seems an awful lot (I'm assuming he gets at least that much in free agency). So I'm not sure it's worth giving up any assets to just rent him for the rest of this season.

dabom
01-09-2015, 04:21 PM
I don't know about the fit. He can obviously score on the P&R but he barely takes any shots outside of the paint so pairing him with TD or Splitter is not really going to work too well. His defensive rebounding is also pretty weak for a guy that athletic (DREB% is comparable to Danny Green's).
He is also on an expiring contract and paying a fourth big $5 mill/year seems an awful lot (I'm assuming he gets at least that much in free agency). So I'm not sure it's worth giving up any assets to just rent him for the rest of this season.

Wouldn't we only pay the rest of his contract? Like 2.5mil?

Richie
01-09-2015, 04:25 PM
He won't be waived, we'd have to give up a 2nd for him (which I wouldn't mind) but we don't have a contract to send back to trade for him.

Spur|n|Austin
01-09-2015, 04:25 PM
I think he'd be a good fit for the season - his expiring contract is appealing too.

jyra
01-09-2015, 04:34 PM
Wouldn't we only pay the rest of his contract? Like 2.5mil?

I think so but I'm refering to next year's salary. With Tiago and Boris making $9/7 mill and TD probably coming back I don't think that you can afford to pay Wright what he's worth.

dabom
01-09-2015, 04:37 PM
I think so but I'm refering to next year's salary. With Tiago and Boris making $9/7 mill and TD probably coming back I don't think that you can afford to pay Wright what he's worth.

I wasn't asking to keep him. Just use him for this year while we have a healthy duncan and another championship run in us. Worry about next season next season.

jyra
01-09-2015, 04:43 PM
I wasn't asking to keep him. Just use him for this year while we have a healthy duncan and another championship run in us. Worry about next season next season.

Fair enough. I can understand the sentiment of wanting to go all in this season.
I think a stretch 4 or bigger wing player would be more useful considering the rest of the roster. That's just my preference though.

Mr Bones
01-09-2015, 04:45 PM
I don't know about the fit. He can obviously score on the P&R but he barely takes any shots outside of the paint so pairing him with TD or Splitter is not really going to work too well.

I think he'd be most useful as a player who would platoon with Splitter. Splitter would be better defensively against bigger, stronger centers and Wright would be better against more athletic/agile centers. I think he'd pair pretty well with Diaw because of Diaw's passing ability from the high post. I'm also assuming Aryes would have to be part of the deal to make the salaries work. For example Aryes/Belinelli/2nd round draft pick for Wright works...

DPG21920
01-09-2015, 04:57 PM
Hilarious... This thread pretty much sums up Spurstalk. When a career cancer, low efficiency, low IQ player like Josh Smith becomes available, literally hundreds of comments appear. We gotta get him! I saw his awesome dunks on Sportscenter a few years ago! When a mature, intelligent, hyper efficient player like Brandan Wright becomes available, it barely registers a blip.

One would have been essentially free (Smith) and require nothing but the player wanting to play for the Spurs. The other (Wright) requires a trade and assets. There is your difference in interest level.

jyra
01-09-2015, 05:01 PM
I think he'd be most useful as a player who would platoon with Splitter. Splitter would be better defensively against bigger, stronger centers and Wright would be better against more athletic/agile centers. I think he'd pair pretty well with Diaw because of Diaw's passing ability from the high post.

I have no doubt that he would work very well with the second unit next to Boris but I just don't see him being able to take rotation minutes away from Splitter.

Mr Bones
01-09-2015, 05:10 PM
One would have been essentially free (Smith) and require nothing but the player wanting to play for the Spurs. The other (Wright) requires a trade and assets. There is your difference in interest level.

It would probably take some sort of draft pick and unnecessary players with expiring contracts thrown in to make the numbers work.

I think the difference in interest level stems from one being a more "glamorous" player who has been shown in highlight clips and the other being one that mostly only interests basketball purists.

benstanfield
01-09-2015, 05:26 PM
I'd be shocked if he isn't in a Cavs or Suns jersey soon tbh. Can the Mavs trade back for him?

timtonymanu
01-09-2015, 05:41 PM
Suns, it is.

BatManu20
01-09-2015, 06:04 PM

Dverde
01-09-2015, 07:01 PM
Solid move by PHX. West keeps getting better.

Budkin
01-09-2015, 07:04 PM
At least we won't have to play against him tonight.

Johnny RIngo
01-09-2015, 08:16 PM
Solid move by PHX. West keeps getting better.

Pretty much the same story in every repeat season for the Spurs. Everybody else makes moves to improve while Spurs stand pat with glaring holes in their roster. Same shit happened in 2008.

Chomag
01-09-2015, 08:33 PM
I like him but Spurs fo are never agressive at things like this so I doubt they even make a call. Would love to see him as a spur though I have always liked his game.

hyhy
01-09-2015, 11:10 PM
him and dalembert are better than our 4th bigs tbh

intlspurshk
01-09-2015, 11:12 PM
and Bass could also be obtained. Why not try? He has an expiring contract

Ditty
01-09-2015, 11:12 PM
him and dalembert are better than our 4th bigs tbh

not Ayers, and Bonner tonight though :hat

in all seriousness Dalembert is on a different team every year, he must have some locker room issues or so. He played well with Dallas also.

apalisoc_9
01-09-2015, 11:51 PM
Suns, Hawks...

called it tbh..

ceperez
01-10-2015, 07:56 AM
Suns, it is.

The Spurs really didn't have the assets to trade away. He's a good role player and I would have trade Baynes for him. But the Celtics were likely looking for draft picks.

Mr Bones
01-10-2015, 07:09 PM
My feeling on an Ayres/Belinelli/draft pick for Wright trade was that Wright would be a very big upgrade over Ayres, and Mills/Cojo would take Beli's minutes. I generally don't think it's a good idea defensively to replace a 6'6" SG with a 6'3" combo guard, but in this case I think it could've worked since Beli is not even an average defender. I even think that, in a pinch, Wright would be better than Daye at SF.... and, yes, I realize that would be a very unlikely scenario. But I can also understand why the Spurs would want to keep their draft pick, since it will probably be the best one they've had in many years, and we've seen what they are capable of when it comes to the draft.