PDA

View Full Version : possible relocation of the Hornets?Houston on assist

milkyway21
09-01-2005, 02:35 AM
Rockets offer Toyota Center office space to Hornets
Associated Press

HOUSTON -- Some members of the New Orleans Hornets' front office have relocated to Houston and are working out of the Toyota Center.

"Our staff is kind of scattered around the country, but we have about 15 members in Houston," Hornets chief marketing officer Tim McDougall told Houston television station KRIV on Wednesday. "The Rockets have been generous enough to give us some office space to work out of. ... The things we are focused on right now are just making sure our staff is OK and safe."

Members of the Hornets' staff have set up in a conference room with computers and telephones.

"It's great to at least to be able to lend a helping hand -- make them feel like they have a home away from home for a little while and give them as much support as we possibly can," Rockets senior vice president of marketing and sales Tad Brown told the TV station.

Also, The New York Times reported on its Web site on Wednesday night that NBA deputy commissioner Russ Granik sent an e-mail to all the teams in the NBA to prepare them for the possible relocation of the Hornets.

"Even if the arena is operable, it still may be impossible to play games in New Orleans for some time," Granik wrote in the e-mail message, a copy of which was obtained by the Times.

The e-mail message said plans were under way to find sites for the Hornets' training camp, which starts in just over a month, and preseason games, and that the league will start searching for alternative sites for the regular season next week. If the team is forced to relocate, the NBA will try to find a place close to home.

The NFL's Saints will be based in San Antonio for a while. It's highly unlikely they will be able to hold their home opener Sept. 18 at the Superdome -- and they may not be able to play there at all this season.

The Saints escaped the hurricane by flying with their families last weekend to San Jose, Calif. New Orleans plays at Oakland on Thursday night in its final exhibition game.

bravo, Houston!

j-6
09-01-2005, 02:36 AM
Vegas, anyone?

milkyway21
09-01-2005, 02:56 AM
i thought NBA would like to stay out of Vegas?

3rdCoast
09-01-2005, 03:12 AM
Sure, they would like to stay out of Vegas I am sure, but what other options will they have?

Not toss a third team into LA.

Besides, the NFL is the league that pretends Vegas does not exist.

TheWriter
09-01-2005, 03:22 AM
St. Louis, Nashville, Loouisville, Birmingham, Albuquerque, Oklahoma City, Kansas City, Cincinnati, and Pittsburgh are all alternatives.

milkyway21
09-01-2005, 03:43 AM
St. Louis, Nashville, Loouisville, Birmingham, Albuquerque, Oklahoma City, Kansas City, Cincinnati, and Pittsburgh are all alternatives.there were rumors of NJersey relocating to some site in NY before and it's still not a reality until today...
it would be hard for New Orleans to just relocate to other city as the season is just 2 months away. :angel

but of course the reasons for these two teams were different.

TheWriter
09-01-2005, 03:45 AM
there were rumors of NJersey relocating to some site in NY before and it's still not a reality until today...
it would be hard for New Orleans to just relocate to other city as the season is just 2 months away. :angel

but of course the reasons for these two teams were different.

You mean Brooklyn? They're moving to Brooklyn. That's happening, in 2007 I think. They first have to build the arena.

milkyway21
09-01-2005, 03:59 AM
You mean Brooklyn? They're moving to Brooklyn. That's happening, in 2007 I think. They first have to build the arena.forgive me but i didn't know it's been approved already:angel

so, you mean if the Hornets moved to the places you mentioned above they don't have to build an arena? is it possible for them to move immediately?

TheWriter
09-01-2005, 04:07 AM
forgive me but i didn't know it's been approved already:angel

so, you mean if the Hornets moved to the places you mentioned above they don't have to build an arena? is it possible for them to move immediately?

Well no, they'd have to relocate to a place that has an arena of probably atleast 15,000 seats.

They're not moving to the city permanently, they might, who knows.

Out of all those cities I'm not exactly sure how many have adequate buildings/arenas for an NBA team.

If they had to relocate to Las Vegas, they'd use a university arena. Small.

If they had to relocate to LA, they'd probably use the Forum or the arena in Anaheim because I don't see how three NBA teams could play in the Staples Center.

San Diego and San Jose are two other options.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
09-01-2005, 04:16 AM
What about Vancouver? They have an arena, but I don't know how many people would go to the games.

Extra Stout
09-01-2005, 08:53 AM
They're not talking about moving the Hornets permanently yet, are they?

I assume they're just figuring out contingency plans for a facility to play the games until New Orleans Arena becomes available.

mrose31
09-01-2005, 09:16 AM
We have 2 we could lend them 1. I don't know how much support they would get.

samikeyp
09-01-2005, 09:25 AM
Nashville would be a good spot as well. It doesn't have an NBA team to compete with...although they would have to share with the NHL Predators. Unless they want to dust off the court in the Alamodome and share that with the Saints.

ChumpDumper
09-01-2005, 09:30 AM
The Forum is a church now -- as is the Compaq center.

The Saavis Center makes sense -- though they'd have to coordinate with the Blues.

Wonder how long the Astrodome will be used by refugees....

ChumpDumper
09-01-2005, 09:33 AM
Miami and Charlotte and Memphis have old NBA arenas that I believe are still standing.

Kip Fanatic
09-01-2005, 09:41 AM
I think it would be best for them to stay close to New Orleans.

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-01-2005, 09:54 AM
Hopefully they can stay as close as possible to NO.

CaptainLate
09-01-2005, 10:01 AM
I think it would be best for them to stay close to New Orleans.

Awww, they should just cancel their season. They aren't going anywhere this year. The owner would save $$$. :lmao

Donate any $$ that would have been spent to the relief fund.

j-6
09-01-2005, 12:16 PM
The NYT is reporting that the NBA is moving the Hornets out of New Orleans for the entire season.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/01/sports/basketball/01games.html&OP=36e0cc45Q2FZ)yQ5DZXkUNQ2Akkr8Z8Q3AQ3AQ60ZQ3AQ2B ZQ3AvZNjkQ2ArNZQ5DPNGyrQ5DP!!ZQ3AvaPhyNQ5BIrh!

ChumpDumper
09-01-2005, 12:28 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure about LSU being a favorite for the Hornets -- there are two other basketball teams that will be using that, not to mention the other sports like volleyball, gymnastics, etc. Add to that the other NOLA schools that might want to use their facilities -- I just can't see 41 open dates, but I'm sure other folks know more than I do.

Makes more sense for the Saints, although the turf will be mush from all the use.

milkyway21
09-09-2005, 08:56 PM
St. Louis, Nashville, Loouisville, Birmingham, Albuquerque, Oklahoma City, Kansas City, Cincinnati, and Pittsburgh are all alternatives....got it right again, Mr.Writer...

see this:

NBA officials visit Oklahoma City for Hornets
Story Tools: Print Email
Associated Press
Posted: 52 minutes ago

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) - NBA representatives toured the Ford Center and met with local officials Friday about the possibility of temporarily moving the displaced New Orleans Hornets to the city.

Mayor Mick Cornett said five NBA officials walked around the facility and discussed possible terms of a lease should the team decide to play its 41-game home schedule at the arena, which seats 19,675 for basketball.
Katrina's impact on sports...

Saints to play in Baton Rogue?

"The NBA is impressed with what we have to offer," Cornett said.

Cornett said he believed the success of major league baseball exhibition games, plus the turnout at major concerts, provided evidence that Oklahoma City could support an NBA franchise. He said sales of tickets for college games at Oklahoma and Oklahoma State for similar prices also suggest the team would be marketable in Oklahoma City.

"That old image that we had of Oklahoma City as being a market that was only able to support minor-league events is outdated," Cornett said.

The mayor said the main considerations for the NBA would be facilities for games, practice and office work. The Hornets are not expected to be able to open the season in New Orleans, which was devastated by Hurricane Katrina.

Cornett said a decision was possible in the next two weeks, and a league official said nothing was imminent. Nashville and Baton Rouge, La., Kansas City, Louisville, San Diego and Las Vegas have been mentioned as other possible relocation sites.

"We're continuing to work with the Hornets to analyze contingency plans, but no decisions have been made," NBA spokesman Tim Frank said.

:smokin