PDA

View Full Version : Joseph or Belinelli..

Malik Hairston
01-10-2015, 09:51 PM
Small sample size, but it seems like Patty/Joseph have good chemistry and are fully capable of playing off each other..

Where does that leave Belinelli, though, in regards to the playoff rotation?

Do you guys think Pop would consider going with Joseph/Mills in the playoffs?

TheGreatYacht
01-10-2015, 09:52 PM
Joseph or Manu...

hater
01-10-2015, 09:53 PM
Joseph or Manu...

Cojo in a heartbeat tbqh

TheGreatYacht
01-10-2015, 09:55 PM
Cojo in a heartbeat tbqh
2-0 since Emmanuel got "injured"... If you count PHX where he wasn't there in the 2nd half

timtonymanu
01-10-2015, 09:57 PM
Joseph has earned his minutes over Cancerneli so far.

I'm still hoping Marco is getting traded soon.

SpursFan86
01-10-2015, 10:01 PM
This is basically the idea I was putting forth in that thread I made a while back about CoJo. At this point I'd definitely prefer CoJo to get minutes over Belinelli.

The only problem would be going up against some bigger backcourts. CoJo/Mills is a pretty small 1-2 combination. Joseph has seemed to do pretty well when it comes to guarding SGs though from what I've seen...he usually holds his own.

Malik Hairston
01-10-2015, 10:02 PM
This is basically the idea I was putting forth in that thread I made a while back about CoJo. At this point I'd definitely prefer CoJo to get minutes over Belinelli.

The only problem would be going up against some bigger backcourts. CoJo/Mills is a pretty small 1-2 combination. Joseph has seemed to do pretty well when it comes to guarding SGs though from what I've seen...he usually holds his own.

Ya, you called it IIRC..

hater
01-10-2015, 10:02 PM
Cojo = Perferct BACKUP PG

Ferrari = shoot off the hip playmaking nigga needed when you need big testes out there

apples to oranges tbh

Brunodf
01-10-2015, 10:06 PM
Joseph>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Belinelli

wildchild
01-10-2015, 11:09 PM

He should do it. But even when we saw Parker and Joseph on the court at the same time a few times, and there is always an advantage for the Spurs play Joseph over Beli's D, if we look some numbers about lineups that played together for at least 200 minutes throughout the regular season/last seasons, it seems like Pop doesn't like play two point guards...maybe it was about Manu and his great playmaker skills that Pop never needed to play two pg.

cjw
01-10-2015, 11:17 PM
Depends on match up. Playoffs are about exploiting mismatches and I think a good coach could find a way to exploit a small backcourt.

Not that I trust Marco guarding anybody.

Raven
01-10-2015, 11:20 PM
it's not close at all. Belinelli should be behind both anderson and daye at this point.

ElNono
01-10-2015, 11:26 PM
Small sample size, but it seems like Patty/Joseph have good chemistry and are fully capable of playing off each other..

Where does that leave Belinelli, though, in regards to the playoff rotation?

The thing is that combo works when Cory is the main ball handler... when he has to play off the ball, he just doesn't seem like a good fit...

What I'd like to see in the next few months is Cory being the main backup PG, and letting Gino and Patty play more off the ball... see if that works out...

Mikeanaro
01-10-2015, 11:28 PM
Josinelli!
Now seriously... Cojo and is not even close, Carnalito Jose is much much better than Marco Bolo.

Malik Hairston
01-11-2015, 12:27 AM
The thing is that combo works when Cory is the main ball handler... when he has to play off the ball, he just doesn't seem like a good fit...

What I'd like to see in the next few months is Cory being the main backup PG, and letting Gino and Patty play more off the ball... see if that works out...

I agree, and I have the same concerns..

Joseph has made massive strides with his confidence level, but he still defers way too much to Manu, and his poor outside shot makes him an inconsistent fit with the 2nd unit..

The lack of size, defensively, doesn't bother me, since Belinelli doesn't provide anything on defense anyways, but I really hope Pop attempts to build chemistry with Joseph handling + Manu playing off the ball..it would be a huge asset for the Spurs, and a new wrinkle for the offense..

Manu and Patty are a natural fit due to their respective skill-sets, but Manu/Joseph are an awkward fit that Pop will need to work on..

ElNono
01-11-2015, 12:39 AM
I think it boils down to Manu being too good of a playmaker to sit him in a corner as the backup SF... although I can see Pop playing him there to rest him during the regular season... it's just not going to fly in the playoffs...

Cojo actually did pretty well with the starters (Danny, like Patty, provides great floor spacing for his penetration), but Tony needs his minutes and touches...

It's a good problem to have anyways...

Malik Hairston
01-11-2015, 12:43 AM
Manu should definitely remain the playmaker in the 2nd unit, of course, it would be really stupid to give his role to Joseph(since he's not a good playmaker, anyways)..

However, Manu is very capable of shooting from spot-up positions IIRC, and Joseph has become one of the best finishers on the team, which is a nice asset to have in playoff games where the team needs aggression/attacking at the rim..

Too early to say, anyways..we'll see how Parker looks in April, because Pop might have to make some major decisions regarding minute allocation..

ElNono
01-11-2015, 12:53 AM
tbf, I think current Tony would be ok against Dallas, Rockets or Clippers... but yeah, we all want him to improve, tbh

DMC
01-11-2015, 01:09 AM
Manu should definitely remain the playmaker in the 2nd unit, of course, it would be really stupid to give his role to Joseph(since he's not a good playmaker, anyways)..

However, Manu is very capable of shooting from spot-up positions IIRC, and Joseph has become one of the best finishers on the team, which is a nice asset to have in playoff games where the team needs aggression/attacking at the rim..

Too early to say, anyways..we'll see how Parker looks in April, because Pop might have to make some major decisions regarding minute allocation..

Manu is a streaky shooter at best. He's not a good spot up shooter, but his streakiness is pretty awesome once it's on. He chucks a lot at times though. I'd prefer to keep Manu as a playmaker and have a better spot up shooter who doesn't have to think.

midnightpulp
01-11-2015, 01:11 AM
Cojo. Belinelli is worthless and a complete liability as a 20+ mpg player. He's fine for a few minutes here and there if Green/Manu need a blow, but giving him any significant minutes just kills our perimeter defense.

Malik Hairston
01-11-2015, 01:18 AM
tbf, I think current Tony would be ok against Dallas, Rockets or Clippers... but yeah, we all want him to improve, tbh

He would probably be fine against the Clippers, since he has always seemed to own them..

Not sure about the other 2, though, although I'm not afraid of either of them..

ElNono
01-11-2015, 01:43 AM
He would probably be fine against the Clippers, since he has always seemed to own them..

Not sure about the other 2, though, although I'm not afraid of either of them..

One has a PG that can't shoot, the other has a PG that looks and plays like a homeless man... IMO, the only matchups where you can play Tony straight up and still be a net positive...

xtremesteven33
01-11-2015, 01:56 AM
Cojo is the quintessential backup PG but would never be a successful full time PG. He sooner or later will realize that and re-sign with the Spurs for a role player spot.

look_at_g_shred
01-11-2015, 02:06 AM
Anderson > Beli

100%duncan
01-11-2015, 04:59 AM
Cojo without question. When this dude drives, more times than less we know it's gonna net 2 points.

barbacoataco
01-11-2015, 04:18 PM
When everyone is healthy God willing, Pop woul have to figure out the rotation. It's basically the same team plus Cojo. In last year's playoffs, MarcoB didn't seem like he was playing a lot of minutes, but he wound up averaging 15 mpg, which is a decent size role. He was effective in the Portland series, not as much in the others. He did shoot .421% 3 pt which is pretty good. His defense blows, but that matters more against some teams.

EVAY
01-11-2015, 04:37 PM
As Austin Daye's success against Minnesota brought to light, a player who can shoot, and who the other team is not expecting to be a big factor, can show up really well from time to time.

Cojo is so much better than he was last year or earlier in this season, but he is still not a playmaker and is still a bit hesitant. He has been terrific in the last ten games or so, but we have to bear in mind that when he is on the floor, teams are still not expecting him to be a scorer. That helps his ability to get open and stay open for shots...just as Daye was last night.

Everybody in the Western World knows that if Belli is in the game, it is for the purpose of scoring. If nothing else, the attention that he gets from the other teams' defenses is a help to other potential shooters in the starting line-up. It has taken a bit for Cory to get accustomed to taking the role of scorer when he is in, but he is getting there.

Belli has his uses, Cojo has his uses. They are just not the same uses. If Belli can free up Cojo and Cojo can knock down the shots, it is not a bad combination...except defensively, of course.

iManu
01-11-2015, 05:37 PM
I've got a feeling we're going to see a lot of 2 point guard sets (a la the Suns) in the playoffs.

Malik Hairston
01-11-2015, 06:09 PM
Looking at potential playoff matchups:

- Warriors could potentially exploit it with Livingston/Iguodala(although Iguodala is notoriously conservative on offense)
- Portland doesn't have any notable bench players
- Memphis could take advantage with Tony Allen/Vince Carter
- Dallas' doesn't have notable bench wings
- Houston doesn't have notable bench wings
- Clippers' bench is terrible

So, the size isn't really a concern IMO, unless maybe against Golden State or Memphis..

ohmwrecker
01-11-2015, 06:15 PM
CoJo by a mile.