PDA

View Full Version : Celebrating the best 32-year old Frenchie this team ever had...

ElNono
01-11-2015, 02:59 AM
http://i58.tinypic.com/24b2ccw.jpg

7RRPRBuANjc

BxT10XO2Zfg

:bobo

NASpurs
01-11-2015, 03:03 AM
Not what I was expecting :lol

You're not wrong though, in this point in time.

Silver&Black
01-11-2015, 03:04 AM

timtonymanu
01-11-2015, 03:08 AM
:lmao

HI-FI
01-11-2015, 03:39 AM
:lol
fucker beat me to the punch with this thread.

if nothing else, Parker gave us Bobo. So respect:bobo.

Godbama
01-11-2015, 03:52 AM
Ian Mahinmi's still only 28 tho? :(

Malik Hairston
01-11-2015, 03:56 AM
Yep..Parker's biggest contribution in the 2014 playoffs was bringing Bobo to the Spurs, tbh..

Splits
01-11-2015, 04:23 AM
Pop directed Tony to put self-glory and stats behind him, begged him to sacrifice his numbers for the greater good. And the Frenchman obeyed, despite knowing he'd be crucified on Spurstalk. Yet he gave it all up for the greater good.

Great leadership

3MnvNJ6aY1c

Hero

Splits
01-11-2015, 04:29 AM
wWYRTZwODtw

100%duncan
01-11-2015, 04:57 AM
You got me :lmao

Johnny RIngo
01-11-2015, 05:21 AM
Have to give Enrique credit for bringing in Boris though. That was probably his biggest contribution to last year's championship.

Hemotivo
01-11-2015, 08:22 AM
:tu

99 Problems
01-11-2015, 08:43 AM
Messina is not French and anyway older. :whine

Mikeanaro
01-11-2015, 10:39 AM
Good thread!

horsielove
01-11-2015, 11:04 AM
10/10 :lmao

ace3g
01-11-2015, 11:21 AM
Pop directed Tony to put self-glory and stats behind him, begged him to sacrifice his numbers for the greater good. And the Frenchman obeyed, despite knowing he'd be crucified on Spurstalk. Yet he gave it all up for the greater good.

Great leadership

3MnvNJ6aY1c

Hero

All I could think of, lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUpbOliTHJY

EVAY
01-11-2015, 11:23 AM
Boris, of course, has arguably 'saved' himself far more over the years than the other 32 year old frenchman on this team, who merely carried the team on his back through 2012-2013, and has run farther and faster than any other guard on this spurs team or any previous spurs team.

Perhaps if that other 32 year old frenchman had taken is as easy on other teams over his career he might look better now, as well.

ElNono
01-11-2015, 11:24 AM
This thread was inspired by re-watching Game 4 of the Finals last night, tbh... when motivated, what a player!! Basically, after starting him in Game 3, games were all blowouts... He was a walking matchup nightmare...

I'm a big Boris fan....

EVAY
01-11-2015, 11:26 AM
This thread was inspired by re-watching Game 4 of the Finals last night, tbh... when motivated, what a player!! Basically, after starting him in Game 3, games were all blowouts... He was a walking matchup nightmare...

I'm a big Boris fan....

Of course[I]/I it only is about Boris. That is why you pointedly referenced the age and country of origin of the person you were admiring.]

Johnny RIngo
01-11-2015, 11:34 AM
Boris, of course, has arguably 'saved' himself far more over the years than the other 32 year old frenchman on this team, who merely carried the team on his back through 2012-2013, and has run farther and faster than any other guard on this spurs team or any previous spurs team.

Perhaps if that other 32 year old frenchman had taken is as easy on other teams over his career he might look better now, as well.

Parker's decline has less to do with mileage and more to do with his lack of skills. His court vision was always average for his position and his shooting was never stellar like other point guards that aged well(Nash, Stockton, etc). Parker's decreasing effectiveness coincides with his declining speed. Without his quickness, he's pretty much useless as a player. Bottom ten defender in the NBA and a ball-stopper on offense.

ElNono
01-11-2015, 11:37 AM
Please, this thread is to celebrate Boris 2.0... there's plenty of threads about det other topic...

hyhy
01-11-2015, 11:42 AM

Great leadership

3MnvNJ6aY1c

Hero

:lmao Pop's way of telling him that he sucks now and he has to pass the ball. :lmao

Johnny RIngo
01-11-2015, 11:45 AM
Please, this thread is to celebrate Boris 2.0... there's plenty of threads about det other topic...

About Boris - What do you think was his best playoff series last year? OKC or Miami? He shit on the Heat with his passing but his scoring was vital against the Thunder.

ElNono
01-11-2015, 11:49 AM
About Boris - What do you think was his best playoff series last year? OKC or Miami? He shit on the Heat with his passing but his scoring was vital against the Thunder.

He hit a critical 3 pointer to win Game 4(?) against Dallas... but he was still a bit tentative back then and passing up shots...

I think he was great against OKC making Collison/Adams get out of the paint, but he was at his absolute best as a matchup nightware on Wade. I think phillibeaner never quite figured out how to cover that mismatch.

pgardn
01-11-2015, 11:51 AM
A great role player.

No championship without him.
Duncan with Boris was an awesome combination against some of our tougher opponents.
Love the bigbutt pivot to the baby hook he is now utilizing.
He is extremely useful in the half court game.

EVAY
01-11-2015, 11:52 AM
Parker's decline has less to do with mileage and more to do with his lack of skills. His court vision was always average for his position and his shooting was never stellar like other point guards that aged well(Nash, Stockton, etc). Parker's decreasing effectiveness coincides with his declining speed. Without his quickness, he's pretty much useless as a player. Bottom ten defender in the NBA and a ball-stopper on offense.

I agree in part with your observations. I am on record as saying that Parker's talent was never the same level as many others, even on this team. He is, imo, a complete product of Pop teaching him to be what Pop wanted him to be.

I disagree with the part about having "less to do with mileage", because I think your own observations belie the reality of your position.

Parker's role in the offense after Duncan began HIS decline was to run the loop play while Duncan held the ball slightly outside of the paint, and the wings parked themselves on the corners to be available for three point kick-outs. Duncan was to survey the situation and decide whether the ball should go back to TP as he came around the loop, send it to one of the wings, or take it himself to the basket. If everyone was covered, Duncan would return the ball to Parker, who would then once again probe the lane, shoot from the lane (or threaten to shoot from the lane so as to force the defense to collapse on him), and then Parker once again run around.

It does not add to your credibility to deny how much mileage Parker has in comparison to others, or to deny his historic courage in penetrating into the paint and taking the beatings that he has taken from the other teams' bigs in the paint.

I agree that Tony has lost AT LEAST a step so far this year, and I don't know if he can get it back. He has NEVER had the raw talent that a Manu (or likely Diaw) has had in passing ability or court vision. But he has done what has been asked of him year in and year out for Pop. Do you imagine for one second that if he DIDN"T do what Pop wanted that Pop wouldn't have sent him packing before this? Seriously?

What is making me nuts about Parker this year is that he keeps making such bad decisions.

It took Tim a couple of years to give up on being the dominant role in the offense. It took Manu a couple of years to accept that his body wouldn't allow him to do what it used to be able to do. That is where I see Tony now - can he figure out how to help the team now as he is no longer the dominant force that he was for a while. I don't know if he can. I think it will require some help from Pop to do it. But if Pop wants him to do it, Tony will try to do what Pop wants - that much I am positive about.

We didn't throw Tim under the bus when he was struggling to change his role in 2010 - 2012 and making 22 Million dollars a year. We didn't throw Manu under the bus when he got to the point that he really can't play WELL for more than about 17-20 minutes per game, and I don't expect us to throw Tony under the bus now that he has lost a step and needs help with the offense.

I just hope like hell that the coaching staff can change the offensive set around to let TP help in the ways that the others of the Big Three have been able to help as they declined.

EVAY
01-11-2015, 11:54 AM

I thought he had a good case for Finals MVP. Not that I didn't think Kawhi had been terrific, but I thought Boris in that finals series was as good as Kawhi in his contributions. He is maybe the smartest passer and best i.q. player on the team.

EVAY
01-11-2015, 12:01 PM

Which is undoubtedly why you worded the title of this thread the way you did.

ElNono
01-11-2015, 12:04 PM
Which is undoubtedly why you worded the title of this thread the way you did.

Isn't Tony from Belgium?

pgardn
01-11-2015, 12:10 PM
Isn't Tony from Belgium?

Litmus test for the levels of Tony v. Manu adherents?

In a fairly subtle way...

EVAY
01-11-2015, 12:13 PM
Isn't Tony from Belgium?

So sorry. Didn't realize that you were unaware that although he was born in Belgium, he was raised in Paris, started his professional career in Paris, has consdered himself French - oh, and since you are probably equally unaware of this fact - is the same age as Boris, played with Boris as teenagers and have played with Boris on the French national team.

Anything else I can help you with about Tony's background before he came to the Spurs?

EVAY
01-11-2015, 12:15 PM
Litmus test for the levels of Tony v. Manu adherents?

In a fairly subtle way...

Not the least it subtle, tbh. And for many of us, we support both players. Some of us (not naming any names of course) only CLAIM to support both Manu and Tony, while sarcastically undercutting Tony at every opportunity.

beirmeistr
01-11-2015, 12:17 PM
A great role player.

No championship without him.
Duncan with Boris was an awesome combination against some of our tougher opponents.
Love the bigbutt pivot to the baby hook he is now utilizing.
He is extremely useful in the half court game.
Maybe he can be 3B, big butt Bobo

ElNono
01-11-2015, 12:21 PM
:lol come on, some people had a good laugh, that's what it's all about. This thread doesn't change anything about Bobo, Tony or anybody else.

Johnny RIngo
01-11-2015, 12:23 PM
Isn't Tony from Belgium?

Genetically speaking, Tony isn't even French. Half Dutch, half American. Don't know why Evay is getting so butthurt about this thread. Diaw is the only one that qualifies as a true Frenchie on this team.

EVAY
01-11-2015, 12:25 PM
:lol come on, some people had a good laugh, that's what it's all about. This thread doesn't change anything about Bobo, Tony or anybody else.

way to backpedal, per par.

ElNono
01-11-2015, 12:27 PM
:rolleyes

EVAY
01-11-2015, 12:32 PM
Genetically speaking, Tony isn't even French. Half Dutch, half American. Don't know why Evay is getting so butthurt about this thread. Diaw is the only one that qualifies as a true Frenchie on this team.

TBH, I'm not the least bit upset about any thread celebrating Diaw, for all the reasons I have stated earlier in this thread and in others ( his talent, his contribution to our success last year, etc. etc. etc.).

I get upset with not-very-subtle digs by someone who continually talks out of both sides of his mouth about Tony. "Oh, I love Tony, etc. etc." and at the same time continually takes cheap shots at him, all the while stating afterwards "hey, I'm just joking man"...didn't mean that at all.

At least some posters are up front about their hatred. It may be misplaced, imo, but at least it is honest.

pgardn
01-11-2015, 12:33 PM
Not the least it subtle, tbh. And for many of us, we support both players. Some of us (not naming any names of course) only CLAIM to support both Manu and Tony, while sarcastically undercutting Tony at every opportunity.

Okay maybe not fairly.

So we bring out the posters who would rather be correct in THEIR assessments/prognostications at the expense of another championship (if these were the only choices). I would love to have this whole site blowed up if it would somehow lead to #6.

Pink me, allow me to only read apalosic9 threads
If it leadsf to #6
Banish me for christsakes
if it leads to #6
Stretch my eyelid out and put it under the leg of a chair then sit on that chair
if it leads to #6

So - I've overcooked it a bit... with the eyelid thing.

Johnny RIngo
01-11-2015, 12:39 PM
TBH, I'm not the least bit upset about any thread celebrating Diaw, for all the reasons I have stated earlier in this thread and in others ( his talent, his contribution to our success last year, etc. etc. etc.).

I get upset with not-very-subtle digs by someone who continually talks out of both sides of his mouth about Tony. "Oh, I love Tony, etc. etc." and at the same time continually takes cheap shots at him, all the while stating afterwards "hey, I'm just joking man"...didn't mean that at all.

At least some posters are up front about their hatred. It may be misplaced, imo, but at least it is honest.

Nothing wrong with Nono's thread. Diaw's the only 32 year old Frenchman on the Spurs. Tony's Dutch-American. I'm not seeing any subtle digs here.

EVAY
01-11-2015, 12:40 PM
Okay maybe not fairly.

So we bring out the posters who would rather be correct in THEIR assessments/prognostications at the expense of another championship (if these were the only choices). I would love to have this whole site blowed up if it would somehow lead to #6.

Pink me, allow me to only read apalosic9 threads
If it leadsf to #6
Banish me for christsakes
if it leads to #6
Stretch my eyelid out and put it under the leg of a chair then sit on that chair
if it leads to #6

So - I've overcooked it a bit... with the eyelid thing.

It's okay. Personally, I get it. And I can handle hyperbole better than hypocrisy, tbh.

ElNono
01-11-2015, 12:43 PM

:lol Who's that? I love Tony, tbh... I wish he would be the player he was 2 seasons ago, it's what's best for the Spurs...

Is there anything non-factual about the thread title that bothers you?

apalisoc_9
01-11-2015, 12:45 PM

pgardn
01-11-2015, 12:47 PM
It's okay. Personally, I get it. And I can handle hyperbole better than hypocrisy, tbh.

And Nono is a great politician imo.
Also one of the posters who holds this site together.

We got the middle school drama IV's needed by a number of supposedly grown men?

I personally can't possibly keep up with all the little spats so readly admit to some social ignorance concerning this site.

Mugen
01-11-2015, 12:48 PM
Boris is a cool guy. He's got the NBA career I want. Huge part of a championship team getting paid millions of dollars but still be fat as hell tbh.

ElNono
01-11-2015, 12:50 PM
The whole "inspired by re-watching Game 4 of the Finals" part is all true, tbh... can't stop going back and taking a peek at what this team looks like when everyone is healthy...

pgardn
01-11-2015, 12:51 PM
Boris is a cool guy. He's got the NBA career I want. Huge part of a championship team getting paid millions of dollars but still be fat as hell tbh.

He also gets to hang with the fun kids if the photos with teammates are telling.

Manu, Patty, Tiago, Boris...

Mugen
01-11-2015, 12:52 PM
He also gets to hang with the fun kids if the photos with teammates are telling.

Manu, Patty, Tiago, Boris...

That too. They seem like a fun bunch that don't take themselves too seriously off the court tbh.

pgardn
01-11-2015, 12:53 PM
The whole "inspired by re-watching Game 4 of the Finals" part is all true, tbh... can't stop going back and taking a peek at what this team looks like when everyone is healthy...

Basketball orgasm it is.
The most beautiful basketball ever seen on the planet in that series.

EVAY
01-11-2015, 12:55 PM
And Nono is a great politician imo.
Also one of the posters who holds this site together.

We got the middle school drama IV's needed by a number of supposedly grown men?

I personally can't possibly keep up with all the little spats so readly admit to some social ignorance concerning this site.

Personally, I would be thrilled to see Tony never play another SECOND for this team if it means we would play better. And, tbh, if Tony doesn't get at least CLOSER to where he can be, or else change his approach on the court (which is what I really expect is needed), then he should sit for players who can contribute more.

And that is true for any player on the team, imo.

EVAY
01-11-2015, 12:59 PM

Agree wholly with Boris' contribution in that and other finals games. One of the reasons I have always said that he was a strong candidate for finals VP, imo.

Only problem I have with Boris is that he is so hard to keep motivated to play as well as he can. Cuz he can really really really play great basketball. When he was directing Parker last night on which way to go with the pick, I thought to myself, "that would be great - if we could get him to be a floor leader". It would be outstanding, and likely keep his head in the game.

pgardn
01-11-2015, 01:11 PM
Agree wholly with Boris' contribution in that and other finals games. One of the reasons I have always said that he was a strong candidate for finals VP, imo.

Only problem I have with Boris is that he is so hard to keep motivated to play as well as he can. Cuz he can really really really play great basketball. When he was directing Parker last night on which way to go with the pick, I thought to myself, "that would be great - if we could get him to be a floor leader". It would be outstanding, and likely keep his head in the game.

Thats ok as long as he is motivated for the playoffs.

Its amazing how much his game has evolved from his Phoenix days. He is one of the naturals that never really got the most out of his ability. Probably because he just seems so laid back. I think playing for the Spurs has illustrated his obvious gift. But there has to be a challenge, an important game that requires all of his talents.

Food seems to be a weakness. But his food palate may require proper stimulation like his basketball palate. So if he lived in France he would be huge.

sook
01-11-2015, 01:12 PM
wWYRTZwODtw
Unreal, a one man slice and dice against the entire cavs.

pgardn
01-11-2015, 01:13 PM
Personally, I would be thrilled to see Tony never play another SECOND for this team if it means we would play better. And, tbh, if Tony doesn't get at least CLOSER to where he can be, or else change his approach on the court (which is what I really expect is needed), then he should sit for players who can contribute more.

And that is true for any player on the team, imo.

ditto

pgardn
01-11-2015, 01:14 PM
Maybe he can be 3B, big butt Bobo

Add Belly.

ElNono
01-11-2015, 01:28 PM
Thats ok as long as he is motivated for the playoffs.

Its amazing how much his game has evolved from his Phoenix days. He is one of the naturals that never really got the most out of his ability. Probably because he just seems so laid back. I think playing for the Spurs has illustrated his obvious gift. But there has to be a challenge, an important game that requires all of his talents.

Food seems to be a weakness. But his food palate may require proper stimulation like his basketball palate. So if he lived in France he would be huge.

Motivation is a biggie for Boris... he almost fell out of the league due to basically just that...

Johnny RIngo
01-11-2015, 01:31 PM
Motivation is a biggie for Boris... he almost fell out of the league due to basically just that...

Nothing more soul-crushing than playing for the Bobcats

Agloco
01-11-2015, 01:36 PM
Nono HAM trolling these tosbs

KL2
01-11-2015, 01:52 PM
Unreal, a one man slice and dice against the entire cavs.

Daniel "Boobie" Gibson and Larry Hughes guarding him on the perimeter, Duncan pick and rolls as well as screens all day leaving things 1v1 at the rim for TP against Illgauskus/Gooden, c'mon son. Defensively he guarded Gibson (who had some solid games in the beginning), Snow, etc. basically a bunch of 1 dimensional 1 jump shooters. Possibly the worst Finals MVP of all time.

AusEM
01-11-2015, 09:35 PM
So sorry. Didn't realize that you were unaware that although he was born in Belgium, he was raised in Paris, started his professional career in Paris, has consdered himself French - oh, and since you are probably equally unaware of this fact - is the same age as Boris, played with Boris as teenagers and have played with Boris on the French national team.

Anything else I can help you with about Tony's background before he came to the Spurs?

On a serious note, the thread about Spurs milestones mentions Tony having played 960 or so games, while Manu played 1,000+. Is this correct? I do not remember any serious injury for Tony (to have played more years but less games than Manu). Do you know when it happened?

ElNono
01-11-2015, 09:38 PM
On a serious note, the thread about Spurs milestones mentions Tony having played 960 or so games, while Manu played 1,000+. Is this correct? I do not remember any serious injury for Tony (to have played more years but less games than Manu). Do you know when it happened?

It's probably a misunderstanding somewhere. Tony has played 964 regular season games + 196 playoff games. Manu has played 827 regular season games + 180 playoff games.

EVAY
01-11-2015, 09:49 PM

No, it is not correct, at least not on an apples to apples basis.

AusEM
01-11-2015, 09:55 PM
It's probably a misunderstanding somewhere. Tony has played 964 regular season games + 196 playoff games. Manu has played 827 regular season games + 180 playoff games.

Thanks for the explanation. I must have read about Manu's 1,000 games in a different thread and confused them (since there is a different thread for regular season milestones).

sook
01-12-2015, 01:11 AM
Daniel "Boobie" Gibson and Larry Hughes guarding him on the perimeter, Duncan pick and rolls as well as screens all day leaving things 1v1 at the rim for TP against Illgauskus/Gooden, c'mon son. Defensively he guarded Gibson (who had some solid games in the beginning), Snow, etc. basically a bunch of 1 dimensional 1 jump shooters. Possibly the worst Finals MVP of all time.

Why are you hating? That is far from the truth and you are seeing stuff through your the colored lens you to see through. Parker was unreal.

ViceCity86
01-12-2015, 01:15 AM
Why are you hating? That is far from the truth and you are seeing stuff through your the colored lens you to see through. Parker was unreal.

Who is the girl in your signature? The last one almost nude.What,s her name?

sook
01-12-2015, 01:28 AM
Who is the girl in your signature? The last one almost nude.What,s her name?

Jaime. I don't know her full name but I think Strange Love does.

ElNono
01-12-2015, 01:32 AM
BRHornet was a big fan, IIRC

Strange Love
01-12-2015, 01:57 AM
Jaime. I don't know her full name but I think Strange Love (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=17278) does.

Jaime Koeppe

He was the one who showed me the light. :hat

Calispursfan11
01-12-2015, 02:05 AM
No tonylove? tonee

sook
01-12-2015, 02:18 AM

may he come back to us one day :cry, he too showed me the light.

sook
01-12-2015, 02:18 AM
Jaime Koeppe

He was the one who showed me the light. :hat
grassy ass.

KL2
01-12-2015, 04:33 PM

Uh, no. You clearly don't know what you're watching even though it's happening right in front of your eyes, you wouldn't be the 1st guy Parker has fooled though, look at all these Spurs fans that still think he can lead them to a title or that he deserved this FMVP lol.

Let's be real, the Cavs were a fucking horrible team, Lebron was that team. Lebron was their defense/offense, and TD/Bowen took him completely out. The Cavs were old and incredibly unathletic even more than the Spurs, Parker never had to worry about someone swatting his shots, stealing his passes, having the foot speed to stay with him etc.

The perimeter defense Parker went up against consisted of Hughes (average defender at best), DBG a terrible defender in his 2nd season with limited experience, Snow and Jones as the backups. While Gooden/Illgauskus/Varejao waited in the paint.

But it's not like it really mattered who guarded Parker, because Duncan's screens always picked off his defender. Thus Parker was able to lose DBG/Hughes, then take things 1v1 at the rim against the bigs. Their bigs were absolutely no threat to block shots, they were very unathletic and all lacked foot speed, allowing Parker to simply run by them. Parker has a long history of choking around shot blockers/elite defenses so this was a pretty huge advantage for him as there weren't any.

Please, name me 1 all star that wouldn't be able to take those guys 1v1 at the rim or on the perimeter and absolutely dominate.

Offensively Lebron was the Cavs' offense, everyone around him were 1 dimensional shooters, pretty poor ones at that. Parker had the luxury of guarding these guys, they were no threat to score lol. It's pretty ridiculous how easy Parker had it in the '07 Finals on both sides of the ball.

Don't believe me just watch those highlights and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about.

1. Larry Hughes-Legit scoring
2. Duncan pick and roll, picks off Gibson, Illgauskus is slow as shit, leaving a pass any PG could make.
3. The defense is trying to crowd Duncan, leaving Parker 1 on 1 on the perimeter against DBG, he gets an easy layup vs Gooden who is absolutely not a shot blocking threat.
4. Gets Gooden/Pavlovic in the open court, 0 defense lmfao
5. TD pick and roll, TD neutralizes the defender, easy pass, Duncan layup, that's all TD right there.
6. TD Post up, draws double sucking in defense, spurs pass the ball breaking down the defense, Parker gets a wide open shot 1v1 at the rim against Gooden. All created by TD.
7. Good put back even though he probably didn't deserve the and 1.
8. Great pass, one of the best of his career.
9. Duncan screen leaves DBG/Illgauskus out of defensive position, Parker goes 1v1 against them, sucks in the defense, easy Duncan layup. Product of TD and just terrible defense.
10. TD sucks in defense drawing double, nearly a triple, freeing Parker up on the perimeter against Pavlovic? Easy 1v1 at the basket.
11. Standard drive and kick, nothing special.
12. Duncan running in the open court, picks off Gooden, TP now knows he has Hughes 1v1 at the rim, scores.
13. Duncan screen leaves an open jumper for TP against LBJ
14. Good pass I guess? Another play created by a Duncan screen, except this time freeing Manu up.
15. Duncan pick and roll, basic pass, the defense was not going to stop Duncan, another assist for TP.

Do I really need to go on?

KL2
01-12-2015, 04:36 PM
wWYRTZwODtw

Duncan was a monster, can't believe people watch these highlights and are giving Parker all the credit smh. Says a lot about people's basketball knowledge though.

EVAY
01-12-2015, 04:48 PM
Duncan was a monster, can't believe people watch these highlights and are giving Parker all the credit smh. Says a lot about people's basketball knowledge though.

I don't doubt for a minute that all the attention that LeBron gave Duncan in that series made it easier for Parker to shine.

But isn't that the very definition of most of these things? Last year, our big three got most of the attention (and LeBron was on Parker a lot in '13 and '14) and Kawhi was able to shine.

It does not logically follow that Parker was not a worthy finals MVP, any more than it would follow that Kawhi was "only" the MVP due to the attention given to the big 3 stars.

You base your argument on how bad the Cavs defenders were...but the point is that by being whatever they were, Parker was able to do as well as he did.

It is not necessary to belittle a guy's achievement in order to put it into context.

sook
01-12-2015, 05:36 PM
I don't doubt for a minute that all the attention that LeBron gave Duncan in that series made it easier for Parker to shine.

But isn't that the very definition of most of these things? Last year, our big three got most of the attention (and LeBron was on Parker a lot in '13 and '14) and Kawhi was able to shine.

It does not logically follow that Parker was not a worthy finals MVP, any more than it would follow that Kawhi was "only" the MVP due to the attention given to the big 3 stars.

You base your argument on how bad the Cavs defenders were...but the point is that by being whatever they were, Parker was able to do as well as he did.

It is not necessary to belittle a guy's achievement in order to put it into context.

Uh, no. You clearly don't know what you're watching even though it's happening right in front of your eyes, you wouldn't be the 1st guy Parker has fooled though, look at all these Spurs fans that still think he can lead them to a title or that he deserved this FMVP lol.

Let's be real, the Cavs were a fucking horrible team, Lebron was that team. Lebron was their defense/offense, and TD/Bowen took him completely out. The Cavs were old and incredibly unathletic even more than the Spurs, Parker never had to worry about someone swatting his shots, stealing his passes, having the foot speed to stay with him etc.

The perimeter defense Parker went up against consisted of Hughes (average defender at best), DBG a terrible defender in his 2nd season with limited experience, Snow and Jones as the backups. While Gooden/Illgauskus/Varejao waited in the paint.

But it's not like it really mattered who guarded Parker, because Duncan's screens always picked off his defender. Thus Parker was able to lose DBG/Hughes, then take things 1v1 at the rim against the bigs. Their bigs were absolutely no threat to block shots, they were very unathletic and all lacked foot speed, allowing Parker to simply run by them. Parker has a long history of choking around shot blockers/elite defenses so this was a pretty huge advantage for him as there weren't any.

Please, name me 1 all star that wouldn't be able to take those guys 1v1 at the rim or on the perimeter and absolutely dominate.

Offensively Lebron was the Cavs' offense, everyone around him were 1 dimensional shooters, pretty poor ones at that. Parker had the luxury of guarding these guys, they were no threat to score lol. It's pretty ridiculous how easy Parker had it in the '07 Finals on both sides of the ball.

Don't believe me just watch those highlights and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about.

1. Larry Hughes-Legit scoring
2. Duncan pick and roll, picks off Gibson, Illgauskus is slow as shit, leaving a pass any PG could make.
3. The defense is trying to crowd Duncan, leaving Parker 1 on 1 on the perimeter against DBG, he gets an easy layup vs Gooden who is absolutely not a shot blocking threat.
4. Gets Gooden/Pavlovic in the open court, 0 defense lmfao
5. TD pick and roll, TD neutralizes the defender, easy pass, Duncan layup, that's all TD right there.
6. TD Post up, draws double sucking in defense, spurs pass the ball breaking down the defense, Parker gets a wide open shot 1v1 at the rim against Gooden. All created by TD.
7. Good put back even though he probably didn't deserve the and 1.
8. Great pass, one of the best of his career.
9. Duncan screen leaves DBG/Illgauskus out of defensive position, Parker goes 1v1 against them, sucks in the defense, easy Duncan layup. Product of TD and just terrible defense.
10. TD sucks in defense drawing double, nearly a triple, freeing Parker up on the perimeter against Pavlovic? Easy 1v1 at the basket.
11. Standard drive and kick, nothing special.
12. Duncan running in the open court, picks off Gooden, TP now knows he has Hughes 1v1 at the rim, scores.
13. Duncan screen leaves an open jumper for TP against LBJ
14. Good pass I guess? Another play created by a Duncan screen, except this time freeing Manu up.
15. Duncan pick and roll, basic pass, the defense was not going to stop Duncan, another assist for TP.

Do I really need to go on?

Just like the other poster said, you could find MORE stuff to knock on Kawhi if you are going down that road. Just stop :lol

KL2
01-12-2015, 05:52 PM

It wasn't just Duncan drawing the defensive attention, it was the Cavs in general, they were horrible on both sides of the ball, I covered most of this stuff in the post above. They were nowhere near the talent of the '14 Heat.

The primary difference on offense when comparing Parker to Leonard is Leonard has nowhere near as much help. With Parker the Spurs run him off numerous screens trying to free him up, they run plays for him over and over, pick and rolls, ISOs with any mismatch he gets, teammates recognize the spacing, mismatches etc. it comes at a price because the Spurs are doing everything in their power to get him going and we often see the offense stall.

It's just this year we're finally starting to see Leonard get some of that help. Leonard's offense last year, much like this year, came off put backs, dunking on people, offensive rebounds, grabbing the defensive rebounding and scoring in transition, hustle plays, steals, blocks, occasional post ups, floaters, jumpers, etc. all things Leonard has created.

Last year Leonard was lucky to even get a single screen called for him, teammates ignored mismatches in the post/perimeter, no plays called for him, etc. he had very little help out there, and Lebron did guard him a lot of the time. Even when he did get the ball the Spurs didn't recognize the mismatch and often crowded him, they still do this year at times although they've gotten much better.

Just like the Dallas series, Leonard was neutralized by his own teammates. Every time he got the ball in the post Splitter/Duncan would crowd him in the paint, drawing their defenders within his vicinity, making it almost impossible to score. With Parker the Spurs know his strengths/weaknesses and will clear out, not with Leonard. Even when Leonard wants to drive Splitter/Duncan were almost always packing the paint, he wasn't getting put in the pick and roll, thus all the bigs would be in the paint neutralizing his game. It's why Leonard exploded with Diaw out there, a wide open lane.

Defensively (the thing that wins 'ships) it's not even close. Leonard guarded Lebron, Wade, etc. and locked them down. Even when he blew past them the Heat were actually athletic, unlike the Cavs, they actually had some shot blocking and foot speed to stay in front of Leonard.

You simply can't compare Leonard's MVP to Parker's, Leonard's was 100x more difficult.

KL2
01-12-2015, 05:53 PM
Just like the other poster said, you could find MORE stuff to knock on Kawhi if you are going down that road. Just stop :lol

Read my new post :lol

KL2
01-12-2015, 06:04 PM
In the end Parker's '07 Finals MVP fooled his coach/team/fans into thinking he was the MVP. From that point on the Spurs tailored everything towards Parker, and we see the success or lack of success since giving him the keys to the offense.

It's a formula that does not work, a few others on this board have realized this and were/are frustrated. The Spurs need injuries/upsets/teams as bad as the Cavs in order for Parker ball to win them a championship, the odds of that happening are very low.

EVAY
01-12-2015, 06:31 PM
It wasn't just Duncan drawing the defensive attention, it was the Cavs in general, they were horrible on both sides of the ball, I covered most of this stuff in the post above. They were nowhere near the talent of the '14 Heat.

The primary difference on offense when comparing Parker to Leonard is Leonard has nowhere near as much help. With Parker the Spurs run him off numerous screens trying to free him up, they run plays for him over and over, pick and rolls, ISOs with any mismatch he gets, teammates recognize the spacing, mismatches etc. it comes at a price because the Spurs are doing everything in their power to get him going and we often see the offense stall.

It's just this year we're finally starting to see Leonard get some of that help. Leonard's offense last year, much like this year, came off put backs, dunking on people, offensive rebounds, grabbing the defensive rebounding and scoring in transition, hustle plays, steals, blocks, occasional post ups, floaters, jumpers, etc. all things Leonard has created.

Last year Leonard was lucky to even get a single screen called for him, teammates ignored mismatches in the post/perimeter, no plays called for him, etc. he had very little help out there, and Lebron did guard him a lot of the time. Even when he did get the ball the Spurs didn't recognize the mismatch and often crowded him, they still do this year at times although they've gotten much better.

Just like the Dallas series, Leonard was neutralized by his own teammates. Every time he got the ball in the post Splitter/Duncan would crowd him in the paint, drawing their defenders within his vicinity, making it almost impossible to score. With Parker the Spurs know his strengths/weaknesses and will clear out, not with Leonard. Even when Leonard wants to drive Splitter/Duncan were almost always packing the paint, he wasn't getting put in the pick and roll, thus all the bigs would be in the paint neutralizing his game. It's why Leonard exploded with Diaw out there, a wide open lane.

Defensively (the thing that wins 'ships) it's not even close. Leonard guarded Lebron, Wade, etc. and locked them down. Even when he blew past them the Heat were actually athletic, unlike the Cavs, they actually had some shot blocking and foot speed to stay in front of Leonard.

You simply can't compare Leonard's MVP to Parker's, Leonard's was 100x more difficult.

I honestly wasn't trying to compare the two players. I was only trying to point out that in ANY situation that is not a LeBron (total dominance) or a Duncan (in the three of the four previous ones to last year) clear-cut decision, that the attention obtained by other players contribute to the ability of a strong player to show his ability. That was all.

I do happen to agree that Kawhi's attempts at offense have been hampered from time to time by the other players on the team not knowing exactly where to be or what to do. I think that was evident earlier this year when the team really WAS trying to put Kawhi into the offensive set more, and the rest of the team looked uncertain where to be, what to do, and there were a ton of turnovers. My only point here is that the position that Kawhi has played has not been a significant offensive position for the Spurs in the last few years when the essential Spurs offensive set was a series of pick and rolls between Duncan and Parker, or variations on the loop play. I don't think anyone was intentionally trying to avoid Kawhi, or crowd him, or ignore him, or anything like that. I think that they just haven't gotten good yet with that - although I think it can change. It just takes some practice.