PDA

View Full Version : And you thought you were shocked the news

SenorSpur
09-01-2005, 03:18 AM
Here's what is being said in the local media.

Excerpt from the Dallas Morning News

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/basketball/mavs/stories/090105dnspomavslede.1278cd21.html

By DAVID MOORE / The Dallas Morning News

Michael Finley spent years trying to beat San Antonio.

Now, his job is to help keep the Mavericks in their place.

In a move that surprised the majority of personnel people around the league, Finley has decided to sign with the World Champion Spurs. His decision was confirmed Thursday night by Spurs general manager R.C. Buford.

Mavericks / NBA

Finley stats, bio
Miami, Phoenix, Minnesota and San Antonio all traveled to Finley’s home in Chicago this past week to make a pitch for the top free agent on the market. Many regarded the Heat as the frontrunner, although the lure of returning to the Suns -- and the promise of a starting job -- was attractive.

The last place the Mavericks wanted to see Finley wind up was San Antonio. The move comes a little more than 24 hours after the club agreed to terms with another former Mavericks guard in Nick Van Exel.

"The West just got tougher," said Donnie Nelson, the Mavericks president of basketball operations.

"This is a product of free agency. We’re big boys. We understand that. We have nothing but respect and gratitude for what Mike has done for this organization."

The Mavericks released Finley in August under the amnesty clause, a one-time provision in the new collective bargaining agreement that allows clubs to get out from under prohibitive contracts. Owner Mark Cuban still owes Finley the $51.8 million remaining on his contract, but he will not be assessed a luxury tax -- a tax of $1 for every $1 the Mavericks are over the salary cap -- with is departure.

"I wish Mike all the best off the court,’’ Cuban said. "As always, I hope the Spurs lose 82 games."

This text is invisible on the page, but this text is affected by the invisible item's flow. This text is invisible on the page, but this text is affected by the invisible item's flow.

gospursgojas
09-01-2005, 03:21 AM
This text is invisible on the page, but this text is affected by the invisible item's flow. This text is invisible on the page, but this text is affected by the invisible item's flow.

That just makes all this free ageny, CBA, luxury tax, ammesty clause, etc. make sence. :spin :spin :spin

Dingle Barry
09-01-2005, 05:01 AM
i hope cuban loses his billions and is raped by a deranged mutant gerbil

ZStomp
09-01-2005, 07:01 AM
:lol

I'm loving it. This was the major reason I want Finley here. To piss off Cuban.

SenorSpur
09-01-2005, 01:37 PM
There's something to be said for "Cuban must go"