PDA

View Full Version : Memphis gets Jeff Green

SpurPadre
01-11-2015, 06:21 PM
Good pickup for them as they are in win-now mode.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--grizzlies-finalizing-trade-to-acquire-jeff-green-233202107.html#

ducks
01-11-2015, 06:30 PM
Gasol is leaving

SpurPadre
01-11-2015, 06:32 PM
Gasol is leaving

That's irrelevant as far as this season is concerned. Take your homer glasses off and realize it helps them for this season.

timtonymanu
01-11-2015, 06:36 PM
:lol Jeff Green

Another case of falling for big named players.

SpurPadre
01-11-2015, 06:39 PM

Come on. Everytime a team gets a good player in a trade, Spur fan here mocks it. LOL. smh at fans here unable to take their homer glasses off.

timtonymanu
01-11-2015, 06:40 PM
Come on. Everytime a team gets a good player in a trade, Spur fan here mocks it. LOL. smh

Green is definitely an upgrade over what they have, but let's not act like Green is their savior. Same with the Rondo and Smith trades that had a lot of Spur fan panicking :lol

Definitely not something that a healthy Spurs team should panic over.

Brunodf
01-11-2015, 06:41 PM
:lol Memphis

SpurPadre
01-11-2015, 06:43 PM
Green is definitely an upgrade over what they have, but let's not act like Green is their savior. Same with the Rondo and Smith trades that had a lot of Spur fan panicking :lol

Definitely not something that a healthy Spurs team should panic over.

Not acting like Green is a savior. I merely said it's a good pickup for them and an upgrade off the bench for them over washed up Prince and never was Pondexter. It also gives them athleticism they've been lacking.

Robz4000
01-11-2015, 06:44 PM
Good trade, but not great. They desperately need efficient perimeter scoring.

Raven
01-11-2015, 06:45 PM
they needed a legit shooter that can also defend from the 3. Green is a very solid player, but he is not that guy. They'll have to play old school slow paced basketball and rely on their size.

elemento
01-11-2015, 06:46 PM
He is definitely an upgrade over Prince, who's almost done at this point of his career. The most underlooked part of that deal is that Memphis got rid of that shit contract that they gave to Quincy Scrubdexter for essentially nothing.

SpurPadre
01-11-2015, 06:48 PM
the slow-pace will hurt Green and it will be an adjustment period for him but they have plenty of time to do that.

Malik Hairston
01-11-2015, 06:53 PM
Come on. Everytime a team gets a good player in a trade, Spur fan here mocks it. LOL. smh at fans here unable to take their homer glasses off.

When have we been wrong?

You literally think every single acquisition by every single non-Spurs team is a good move:lol..

stephen jackson
01-11-2015, 06:55 PM
good move by them,took the opportunity to get better by not giving up much,

Sean Cagney
01-11-2015, 07:04 PM
I agree on that, they got better and he is a good player. I won't downplay it at all that was a good move and they gave up? I knew they got him yesterday so this is not news to me at all man but honestly it is a good move for the Grizz. Spurs fans do downplay every move like you said, if the Spurs got him though they would be annointing him and this thread would be 100 pages by now, hell if it is just a stupid rumor or a FA some fan will go ? to the Spurs and it goes 30 pages in an hour.

They will be a better team if it works out, they were already good but now even better.
good move by them,took the opportunity to get better by not giving up much,

Exactly, I hate it man.
He is definitely an upgrade over Prince, who's almost done at this point of his career. The most underlooked part of that deal is that Memphis got rid of that shit contract that they gave to Quincy Scrubdexter for essentially nothing.

Yep, my thoughts exactly and it's a good move.

SpurPadre
01-11-2015, 07:08 PM
When have we been wrong?

You literally think every single acquisition by every single non-Spurs team is a good move:lol..

Uh, no. I think the Pelicans shouldn't have taken on Pondexter in part of the deal...so no.:lol

Spurs9
01-11-2015, 07:18 PM

Hes a big name player? :lol

itzsoweezee
01-11-2015, 07:22 PM
Glad to see they had to get rid of Pondexter as part of the trade. If i recall, he's like the only Grizzlies player that's deadly from three-point land. At lease he was last year.

Hoops Czar
01-11-2015, 07:31 PM
When have we been wrong?

You should have seen the amount of Spurs fans creaming when the Spurs traded for RJ or Stephen Jackson. Oh wait, you were there :lol. NBA = Fucked

Malik Hairston
01-11-2015, 07:38 PM
You should have seen the amount of Spurs fans creaming when the Spurs traded for RJ or Stephen Jackson. Oh wait, you were there :lol. NBA = Fucked

And? What's your point? That was 5 years ago, most people here have learned that NBA players get by on name recognition, by now..the Jefferson trade actually helped, in that regard, most of these players get dumped for a reason..

apalisoc_9
01-11-2015, 07:41 PM
Hoops

:lmao

exstatic
01-11-2015, 08:26 PM

Jeff Green has never done a thing to deserve an annual eight figure salary.

Blackjack
01-11-2015, 08:32 PM
I've actually always liked Green, thought his skillset would have been great on a team where he had a role and wasn't expected to star.

Not sure if he helps Memphis at all, other than he's always been good for a highlight on Tim - his timing and length has always seemed
to be on-point at the rim against Tim.

FromWayDowntown
01-11-2015, 09:31 PM
From the Summer of 2012:

[The Celtics] re-signed Jeff Green for four years, $36 million: Can they amnesty Green yet, or do they have to wait until the games start? Maybe the Celtics are just trying to keep us on our toes and prove they’re capable of screwing up, too. Here’s what we know: Green was a fungible player before he missed last season with a heart problem; guaranteeing him four years (with a player option on the fourth!) at a rate far beyond any rational market level is something we might expect from a couple of the league’s bumbling organizations, but certainly not this one.

I can’t stress this enough: Green is 26 and played four full seasons in the league, and after all that time there’s no evidence he’s actually any good and considerable evidence that he’s a health risk. Yet he’s being paid like a second-tier star. This was, without a doubt, the worst contract of the summer.

cd98
01-11-2015, 09:37 PM
Any offensive player added to the Grizz is troublesome.

benefactor
01-11-2015, 09:41 PM
OP thought Josh Smith would be a good signing, so yeah.:lol

ElNono
01-11-2015, 09:43 PM
From the Summer of 2012:

:lol

SpurPadre
01-11-2015, 09:49 PM
Jeff Green has never done a thing to deserve an annual eight figure salary.

That's neither here nor there for us. Fact is, he can help them this season on the court.

look_at_g_shred
01-11-2015, 09:50 PM
Jeff green does not play defense.

100%duncan
01-11-2015, 09:51 PM

Still an upgrade over what they have and they only gave up Prince and a draft pick(?). Makes sense since they are in win now mode.

SpurPadre
01-11-2015, 09:51 PM
OP thought Josh Smith would be a good signing, so yeah.:lol

No. I said he wouldn't be a good fit for us if you have basic reading skills but may be for another team. I didn't know you can judge trades or signings only a month into it and before the season is over. LOL.

benefactor
01-11-2015, 10:27 PM
Smith is a pretty easy one to judge ahead of time.:lol

:lol your takes

SpurPadre
01-11-2015, 10:49 PM
Smith is a pretty easy one to judge ahead of time.:lol

:lol your takes

Well, I think your takes are shit too, so we're at a standstill.

T Park
01-11-2015, 11:11 PM

Don't like it? Suck a dick and leave.

T Park
01-11-2015, 11:13 PM
That's neither here nor there for us. Fact is, he can help them this season on the court.

He's an upgrade. But nothing earth shattering. Just like Rondo and just like Smith.

SpurPadre
01-11-2015, 11:14 PM

oh you're so cool, you got me there.

SpurPadre
01-11-2015, 11:18 PM
He's an upgrade. But nothing earth shattering. Just like Rondo and just like Smith.

never claimed it was an earth-shattering move but yes, it's an upgrade for them for this season they're intent on trying to win it all, next few seasons after be damned.

Darkwaters
01-12-2015, 01:02 AM
I've actually always liked Green, thought his skillset would have been great on a team where he had a role and wasn't expected to star.

Not sure if he helps Memphis at all, other than he's always been good for a highlight on Tim - his timing and length has always seemed
to be on-point at the rim against Tim.

It would have been interesting if Seattle really had been able to keep Jeff Green, Kevin Durant and Rashard Lewis. That team would have brought some interesting opportunities.

ViceCity86
01-12-2015, 01:07 AM
OP as usual in full Neurotic mode.

Johnny RIngo
01-12-2015, 03:10 AM
If he was actually good Celtics would have gotten a lot more for him. Most of these players being given away are neg impact guys that statpad on bad teams. Richard Jefferson ring a bell?

exstatic
01-12-2015, 07:07 AM

His best career PER is 15.0. His BEST. That is right dead on league average, which means, paywise, he should be at between 5 and 6 million to earn his keep. That's essentially dead money that Memphis can't spend. In addition, he's likely going to have to take a haircut on his next deal. Memphis will have to be the first one to tell him that, and being unrestricted, he can, and likely will go elsewhere when his pride is stung. He's also going to deprecate their defense, not really having played much in Sacto or Boston.

You kind of asked why we always scoff other team's trades. I can't speak to all of them, but in Jeff's case, he's an overpaid middling player who has already had one heart surgery for a congenital condition, and will likely be a rental when he finds out what his true market value is.

urunobili
01-12-2015, 08:55 AM
This west is the toughest ever... I have 0 expectations to ring this season. If they do with all west teams healthy, it may end up being one of the best runs ever.

I say that ATL- MEM or ATL - DAL will be the finals tbh

100%duncan
01-12-2015, 09:35 AM
This west is the toughest ever... I have 0 expectations to ring this season. If they do with all west teams healthy, it may end up being one of the best runs ever.

I say that ATL- MEM or ATL - DAL will be the finals tbh

Makes no sense :lol Memphis is SA's bitch and Dallas has too many flaws against other teams. Sure the West is tougher but to say that we have no chance of ringing is cowardice.

SpurPadre
01-12-2015, 12:26 PM
OP as usual in full Neurotic mode.

Just for posting a link about it and saying it's simply a "good" deal? Ok, fuck off. LOL.

Budkin
01-12-2015, 12:30 PM
Gasol is leaving

Let's hope he's Spurs bound!

SpurPadre
01-12-2015, 12:40 PM
His best career PER is 15.0. His BEST. That is right dead on league average, which means, paywise, he should be at between 5 and 6 million to earn his keep. That's essentially dead money that Memphis can't spend. In addition, he's likely going to have to take a haircut on his next deal. Memphis will have to be the first one to tell him that, and being unrestricted, he can, and likely will go elsewhere when his pride is stung. He's also going to deprecate their defense, not really having played much in Sacto or Boston.

You kind of asked why we always scoff other team's trades. I can't speak to all of them, but in Jeff's case, he's an overpaid middling player who has already had one heart surgery for a congenital condition, and will likely be a rental when he finds out what his true market value is.

Points well taken. But you bring up PER. You do know Tayshaun Prince's PER is 10.60 right now and Pondexter's is 7.15, right? That's all I'm saying that Green is an instant upgrade for THIS season. In terms of contract sense, that's for Green and the Grizzlies to worry about after the season is over. It's no earth-shattering move of course, but I never claimed it to be. But the Spurs organization isn't the only one in the league that does their homework in terms of making moves.

Horse
01-12-2015, 01:32 PM

The nba would've been fucked if not for the thundrefs in game 6. You filthy cocksucker!

cd98
01-12-2015, 02:21 PM

I tend to disagree. I think it is correct that Smith hurts the Rockets because he takes a lot of jumpers, which takes shots from Howard and Harden, who hurt defenses much more than Smith's jumpers. And Smith fashions himself an all-star, so he won't take a role where his is just a clean up guy at the rim. Rondo, like many thought, isn't the same player from three years ago and his lack of shooting kills the Mavs as it allows teams to put their weakest defenders on Rondo and then play off of him to double Dirk and to a lesser extent, Ellis. But the Green trade is an upgrade for them at small forward. For one, while inconsistent, Green is capable of dropping 30 points on any given night, including the playoffs. But also, his defense is adequate, especially given that the small forward before him was Prince, and Price is not the same defender at his advanced age. The big question about Green was whether he was a three or a four in the NBA. I guess we'll see if he can be a three out west. Either way, I still see it as an upgrade for a team that was already tough for us to beat. I still think we are as good as the Grizzlies when we are 100% healthy, but the Grizz just got better, no doubt.

cd98
01-12-2015, 02:24 PM
Makes no sense :lol Memphis is SA's bitch and Dallas has too many flaws against other teams. Sure the West is tougher but to say that we have no chance of ringing is cowardice.
The downgrade people give the Spurs is based on how they have played the last few weeks without their two best players. Get Parker and Leonard healthy along with the rest of the squad, and the Spurs are still the favorites in my book. That said, Grizz will be a tough out. I'm not as concerned about the Mavs.

ViceCity86
01-12-2015, 02:57 PM
Just for posting a link about it and saying it's simply a "good" deal? Ok, fuck off. LOL.
I just think jeff Green is shit.

dabom
01-12-2015, 02:59 PM
Jeff is trash. Played for boston on a shit team. People over hyping this guy. The coach would keep him if he was any good.

Hoops Czar
01-12-2015, 05:52 PM
The nba would've been fucked if not for the thundrefs in game 6. You filthy cocksucker!

That's horse shit!

Malik Hairston
01-12-2015, 07:07 PM
Green is definitely a nice acquisition, as overrated as he is, tbh..he's unquestionably an upgrade over Tayshaun Prince or Pondexter, and it makes sense for Memphis to make a move to help their team win now, since Gasol may leave and Randolph is nearing the end..I don't know how they're going to utilize him, since he isn't a great shooter and not a playmaker, and I'd be happy to have the ball in his hands rather than Gasol/Conley/Randolph, but we'll see..

All these moves make sense, to an extent..Rondo is a shitty player, but the Mavs didn't give up much to get him, it may have been worth the risk, we'll see..he's literally the least efficient player in the NBA, though..

Smith is a cancer, but Houston barely paid anything for him..

Wilson Chandler is on the decline and an average player, but would still be a nice move for a Portland team that is relying on Chris Kaman and Steve Blake to carry their bench:lol..

So, ya, all these moves make sense, but former big-name, declining players are traded for a reason, as we learned with Richard Jefferson, unfortunately..

Horse
01-13-2015, 01:54 PM
That's horse shit!

Worst screwjob since kings-lakers.

Mugen
01-13-2015, 02:08 PM

:lol

FireMicoHalili
01-15-2015, 12:13 PM
Memphis may have overpaid, but at least they know when to pump prime their chances at a title. Green might be a mediocre shooter but he's a huge upgrade over Tony Allen in that regard. Their logic might probably be that if they win a title, Gasol gets to stay. They gave up a first-rounder at the 25-30 threshold and an old wing with almost nothing left in the tank. Not bad.