PDA

View Full Version : Bill Schoening named Texas Sportscaster of the Year

Chris
01-11-2015, 07:07 PM
Few days old... surprised it hasn't been posted tbh Bill is the man

http://www.woai.com/articles/woai-local-sports-162470/bill-schoening-named-texas-sportscaster-of-13131600

http://content.clearchannel.com/cc-common/mlib/1229/01/1229_1420752808.jpg

The National Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association has announced WOAI's Spurs play-by-play announcer Bill Schoening has been named Texas Sportscaster of the Year.

Kirk Bohls of the American Statesman in Austin was named Texas Sportswriter of the Year.

The National Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association also announced Bill Raftery, Dick Schaap, Hal McCoy and Lesley Visser as inductees into the association's Hall of Fame.

NSSA members in each state nominate sportscasters and sportswriters for the state award.

Schoening has been the radio play-by-play voice of the Spurs since the 2001-2002 season.

Prior to his work with the Spurs, Schoening broadcast for the Texas Longhorns for 12 years, calling football, basketball, and baseball games. In addition to his work with the Longhorns and Spurs, he has also broadcast National Football League, Major League Baseball, and arena football games.

Read more: http://www.woai.com/articles/woai-local-sports-162470/bill-schoening-named-texas-sportscaster-of-13131600#ixzz3OYq7KoHB

baseline bum
01-11-2015, 07:08 PM
He's terrible.

xtremesteven33
01-11-2015, 07:15 PM
He's terrible.

You suck Bitch.

xellos88330
01-11-2015, 07:31 PM
I love his commentary on WOAI. I can picture exactly what is happening on the court just by his play by play.

Chris
01-11-2015, 07:44 PM
I love his commentary on WOAI. I can picture exactly what is happening on the court just by his play by play.

Same here. He's so fast and fluid and exciting to listen to

Hemotivo
01-11-2015, 07:48 PM
:tu

baseline bum
01-11-2015, 07:49 PM
"Manu that is why you do the voodoo that you do so well" is the gayest shit ever uttered on a broadcast. Schoening is shit, even Joel Myers was better.

dabom
01-11-2015, 07:56 PM
Shut up you faggot. I love that manu piece.

Mugen
01-11-2015, 07:56 PM
"Manu that is why you do the voodoo that you do so well" is the gayest shit ever uttered on a broadcast. Schoening is shit, even Joel Myers was better.

:lol

ElNono
01-11-2015, 07:57 PM
"That's a Manu tres"...

ElNono
01-11-2015, 07:57 PM
Myers was great tbh....

pgardn
01-11-2015, 08:16 PM
"That's a Manu tres"...

I bug the hell outta my wife with that phrase.

I like him. The guy works alone, pretty impressive.
He has become such a familiar voice for me my rating may not mean much.
He loves Manu.

And that's (slight pause) a Manu tres...

pgardn
01-11-2015, 08:17 PM

Jesus Bum, you can't get that upset about a guy that's fairly inert.

Silver&Black
01-11-2015, 09:09 PM
"Splash landing from the Red Rocket"

spurs10
01-11-2015, 09:27 PM
Apparently his peers agree with me, he's the best in the business. I have heard him call championships from my car. Congratulations to "Philly Billy!"

FkLA
01-11-2015, 09:31 PM
That's my dude. Listened to him a bunch over the years when I would work nights and couldn't catch the tv broadcasts.

spurs10
01-11-2015, 09:32 PM
I love his commentary on WOAI. I can picture exactly what is happening on the court just by his play by play. Yes, exactly. He's won several play by play awards as well.

baseline bum
01-11-2015, 09:56 PM
Jesus Bum, you can't get that upset about a guy that's fairly inert.

He sucks. WOAI should crawl on their hands and knees back to Jay Howard, who was awesome.

baseline bum
01-11-2015, 09:57 PM
Shut up you faggot. I love that manu piece.

You probably love black cocks too

baseline bum
01-11-2015, 09:59 PM
"That's a Manu tres"...

So witty. He's Mexican and hey, I can count to three in Mexican too!

baseline bum
01-11-2015, 10:03 PM
Spurs announcers better than Schoening:

Jay Howard
Terry Stembridge
Sam Smith
Joel Myers
Dick Stockton
Greg Papa
Dave Barnett
Bill Land

Spurs announcers worse than Schoening:

Greg Simmons (yes, that faggot called games on KSAT12 for like a quarter of one season)

UZER
01-11-2015, 10:18 PM
He sucks. WOAI should crawl on their hands and knees back to Jay Howard, who was awesome.

Howard was a grade A prick, but his play by play was phenomenal. I could picture the entire floor, not just the player with the ball like with schoening.

12 years in with him and I still don't like his calls. And his need to come up with a phrase for every player is just trying too hard and cheesy.

FkLA
01-11-2015, 10:28 PM
Did any of those guys ever win the MVP in sportscasting like Schoening just did ?

baseline bum
01-11-2015, 10:35 PM
Did any of those guys ever win the MVP in sportscasting like Schoening just did ?

And Kobe won Finals MVP over Gasol. Your point?

FkLA
01-11-2015, 10:44 PM
And Kobe won Finals MVP over Gasol. Your point?

I don't think even the biggest Kirby hater (me) would call a prime/near prime Kirby terrible. Overrated sure, but not terrible.

Old School 44
01-11-2015, 11:01 PM

Schoening's play-by-play is great! It's all the repetitive catch phrases he tries to burn in your head that are terrible, particularly the one you mentioned. I cringe everytime I hear it.

scanry
01-12-2015, 12:06 AM
Bill Schoening & Stan Kelly are both terrible tbh.

unleashbaynes
01-12-2015, 12:10 AM
Schoening's play-by-play is great! It's all the repetitive catch phrases he tries to burn in your head that are terrible, particularly the one you mentioned. I cringe everytime I hear it.

yes, this. his normal play by play is really good. then when he does the 'manu the voodoo that you do' and 'gday mate' shit when patty hits a 3.....thats cringy stuff lol

Seventyniner
01-12-2015, 10:03 AM

:cry Memorial Day Miracle BANGgasm

tmtcsc
01-12-2015, 10:42 AM
Bill Schoening is shit. Jay Howard won all sorts of awards when he was broadcasting - not just state awards. Schoening is the reason Pop doesn't do pre-game shows anymore - he thinks Schoening is a moron. There is no debating that Jay Howard was an ego-bloated asshole and may have deserved to get fired from his talk show, but he was the best at what he did. I bet the people in here speaking up for Bill never even heard Jay Howard. It's been 14 years but Howard left a lasting impact.

Schoening is a clown with a mic and his catch-phrases are stupid. Here's just a few:

1. Remember the Alamo and remember your Spurs..they are champions again. What?!?
2. It's a Manu Tres!
3. Tres bien ! (Which means "very well" when translated.

baseline bum
01-12-2015, 11:59 AM
Bill Schoening is shit. Jay Howard won all sorts of awards when he was broadcasting - not just state awards. Schoening is the reason Pop doesn't do pre-game shows anymore - he thinks Schoening is a moron. There is no debating that Jay Howard was an ego-bloated asshole and may have deserved to get fired from his talk show, but he was the best at what he did. I bet the people in here speaking up for Bill never even heard Jay Howard. It's been 14 years but Howard left a lasting impact.

Schoening is a clown with a mic and his catch-phrases are stupid. Here's just a few:

1. Remember the Alamo and remember your Spurs..they are champions again. What?!?
2. It's a Manu Tres!
3. Tres bien ! (Which means "very well" when translated.

The only basketball play by play man I ever heard better than Howard was Chick Hearn. What a waste to not use this guy's talents calling Spurs games.

Budkin
01-12-2015, 12:02 PM
Congrats Billy! I don't get all the hate in here.

unleashbaynes
01-12-2015, 12:14 PM
Plus bill's calls on huge plays are boring. Listen to his call on Kawhi's putback slam or Manu facializing the whole Heat roster. Just doesn't do the play justice at all. The national guys were better.

hater
01-12-2015, 12:21 PM
some ppl take their sportscasting too seriously :lmao

look_at_g_shred
01-12-2015, 12:22 PM
Dude has the best voice in the biz.

FuzzyLumpkins
01-12-2015, 08:55 PM

Goofy phrases are SOP for sport casters. You must hate them all then.

FuzzyLumpkins
01-12-2015, 08:57 PM
The only basketball play by play man I ever heard better than Howard was Chick Hearn. What a waste to not use this guy's talents calling Spurs games.

:lol Howard was a self important douche with a mediocre call.

baseline bum
01-12-2015, 09:06 PM
Goofy phrases are SOP for sport casters. You must hate them all then.

Schoening is like a hybrid of Mark Jackson and Magic's son. He should die of AIDS too.

dabom
01-12-2015, 09:11 PM
Schoening is like a hybrid of Mark Jackson and Magic's son. He should die of AIDS too.

Why don't you just infect him with HIV you fagot? :lol

baseline bum
01-12-2015, 09:22 PM
Why don't you just infect him with HIV you fagot? :lol

Defending that Schoening seems important to you. Can you lay out why he doesn't suck big black cocks?

dabom
01-12-2015, 09:23 PM
Defending that Schoening seems important to you. Can you lay out why he doesn't suck big black cocks?

So you do have AIDs. Interesting. :lmao

spurs10
01-12-2015, 09:42 PM
Dude has the best voice in the biz. Agreed! The best voice and four rings to show for it! The Spurs had to pry him away from the Longhorns. I'm sure that was a pretty good gig as well.

baseline bum
01-12-2015, 11:46 PM
Agreed! The best voice and four rings to show for it! The Spurs had to pry him away from the Longhorns. I'm sure that was a pretty good gig as well.

Wish they'd send his fat ass back

UZER
01-12-2015, 11:56 PM
I hate his calls when someone hits a big shot. You want a quick, loud, one word exclamation point like yes! Bang! Gooood! And listen to the crowd react.

Instead we get these long...the shot is good!...that's a Manu tres!...blah blah blah, while the crowd reaction has already given away the excitement of the moment.

FuzzyLumpkins
01-13-2015, 01:43 AM

:lol not as important as attacking him is to you. and for Howard of all people.