PDA

View Full Version : If Brady gets his 4th ring..

AlexJones
01-11-2015, 08:11 PM
Where does he rank in the all time QB list? Top 2 at minimum I think.. hell he would've been stapled at #1 if he got it done on the 18-1 season.

Malik Hairston
01-11-2015, 08:12 PM
Best of all-time from a longevity/career standpoint, tbh..

Although if Rodgers miraculously wins this year, he's the best of all-time from a peak perspective IMO..

Robz4000
01-11-2015, 08:17 PM
Montana is still head-and-shoulders above him and Rodgers, though Rodgers can still surpass him.

Darth_Pelican
01-11-2015, 08:18 PM
Tom BradyPlayoff record: 19-8
Home playoff record: 13-3
Road playoff record: 3-3
Super Bowl starts: 5
Super Bowl rings: 3

Joe MontanaPlayoff record: 16-7
Home playoff record: 10-2
Road playoff record: 2-5
Super Bowl starts: 4
Super Bowl rings: 4

monosylab1k
01-11-2015, 08:25 PM
He's not beating Rodgers. Their D-Line has no shot containing Wilson. They may get to the SB but they won't win. I just hope they don't get a shank up their gooch like Manning last season.

Malik Hairston
01-11-2015, 08:26 PM
^^Belichick would be much better prepared than fucking John Fox, tbh:lol..

How do the Patriots generally do vs. mobile QBs?

AlexJones
Packers aren't winning shit and there's no way Belichick loses to a negro QB, tbh.. He's going to have that team ready unlike John Fox last year..

spurraider21
begrudgingly, i'd pick the Pats to beat the Packers if they matched up

Seahawks Pats would be a fucking great superbowl though.

AlexJones
01-11-2015, 08:27 PM

Dude I swear I didn't steal your comment:lmao

Robz4000
01-11-2015, 08:28 PM
Tom BradyPlayoff record: 19-8
Home playoff record: 13-3
Road playoff record: 3-3
Super Bowl starts: 5
Super Bowl rings: 3

Joe MontanaPlayoff record: 16-7
Home playoff record: 10-2
Road playoff record: 2-5
Super Bowl starts: 4
Super Bowl rings: 4

Team accomplishments imo. When thinking about it, they both come from very similar backgrounds:

1. Both played under great coaches
2. Both had great longevity
3. Both delivered similar stats

The main reason I put Joe Cool over Brady is because he just seemed to have the "IT" factor. He could rally his team in any situation and get their nerved in check. Brady, OTOH, has notoriously chimped out in the past and has needed to be calmed down. There's also the whole system babby issue, which could be said about Joe, but in the end he went out and continued playing well on another team.

HI-FI
01-11-2015, 08:30 PM
I'd still take Montana over him any day of the week. If Brady wins I could see the media anoint him GOAT but I'd place him in top 5. I still haven't seen an iconic performance by him in the SB, plus hasn't won post Viniatieri and Spygate.

if Russell Wilson repeats this year, ST will reach new levels of bitterness.

lefty
01-11-2015, 08:31 PM
As long as Manning doesnt ring

monosylab1k
01-11-2015, 08:34 PM

With the emergence of Jamie Collins, maybe they would be okay. In the past, it was high comedy to watch Rob Ninkovich or Brandon Spikes get shaken out of their shoes or blown by without even touching a guy like Wilson or Rodgers.

Raven
01-11-2015, 08:37 PM

eat them alive. BB isn't getting fooled by a gimmick offense. Also, linebackers and safeties have been specifically drafted for this, i want to see wilson monkeying around against jamie collins

Raven
01-11-2015, 08:40 PM
anyway, if brady wins it, which is still a big if, he's clearly the undisputed #1, if he loses, he's #2.

Brunodf
01-11-2015, 08:49 PM
2 more to be the undisputed GOAT tbh

Robz4000
01-11-2015, 08:50 PM
2 more to be the undisputed GOAT tbh

If Brady gets to 5 while putting up great numbers, I'll elevate him to GOAT. Until then he's top 5.

spurraider21
01-11-2015, 08:53 PM
never liked brady but always respected him. with his longevity i'd put him #1 in my lifetime... of course Rodgers isn't done yet, but as of now, yeah.

Silver&Black
01-11-2015, 09:20 PM
If Brady gets his 4th ring.....he's the GOAT.

Fabbs
01-11-2015, 09:22 PM
Brady....hasn't won post Viniatieri and Spygate.
Yeah lets see those numbers.
Wonder how many more Joe would have if both he and the 49ers D knew the f'ing plays about to be run by the opponent.

Pelicans78
01-11-2015, 09:46 PM
anyway, if brady wins it, which is still a big if, he's clearly the undisputed #1, if he loses, he's #2.

Nah, its neck and neck with Joe Cool who tortured my childhood never losing in the Superdome even when the Saints had multiple top 2 defenses :depressed

pgardn
01-11-2015, 10:03 PM
I'd still take Montana over him any day of the week. If Brady wins I could see the media anoint him GOAT but I'd place him in top 5. I still haven't seen an iconic performance by him in the SB, plus hasn't won post Viniatieri and Spygate.

if Russell Wilson repeats this year, ST will reach new levels of bitterness.

Montana extricated the 49ers from some really tough situations.
And I agree, Brady can get frustrated really easily. Montana was so cold. His ability to keep his head in the game even when taunted is what Rogers seems steered towards.

As as far as who is the most fun to watch due to physical ability, it's Rogers.

Love to see the Pack win it all after the Rogers' relax comment. But I don't think they can if Rogers can't run.

spurtech09
01-11-2015, 10:35 PM
Go Pats...fav. to win the SuperBowl......book it

HI-FI
01-11-2015, 10:52 PM
Montana extricated the 49ers from some really tough situations.
And I agree, Brady can get frustrated really easily. Montana was so cold. His ability to keep his head in the game even when taunted is what Rogers seems steered towards.

As as far as who is the most fun to watch due to physical ability, it's Rogers.

Love to see the Pack win it all after the Rogers' relax comment. But I don't think they can if Rogers can't run.
Yeah Brady gets frustrated easily. You touch him and starts screaming for a flag, acting like such a whiny bitch. Fortunately for him he rarely gets touched, in fact I never seen a qb get as much time in the pocket.

Rodgers reminds me the most of Montana and that's about the highest praise I can give a player. No player quite has Montana's grace under fire but Rodgers comes close. Unfortunately like Montana they both get injured a bit.

I like Manning but that's more for how he calls plays and runs an offense. Obviously he's known for the Manning Face.

I wouldn't mind seeing Packers win it all but seahawks/patriots seems like the safe bet.

Pelicans78
01-11-2015, 10:53 PM
I can't believe Montana lowered himself by starring in a commercial with Peyton.

Malik Hairston
01-11-2015, 10:55 PM
I didn't watch the NFL in the early 90s/late 80s, obviously, but didn't Montana have the greatest NFL player of all-time as his WR for the majority of his time?

Brady looked pretty good with Moss at WR:lol..

Pelicans78
01-11-2015, 11:00 PM
I didn't watch the NFL in the early 90s/late 80s, obviously, but didn't Montana have the greatest NFL player of all-time as his WR for the majority of his time?

Brady looked pretty good with Moss at WR:lol..

True, but Montana also won two Super Bowls before Rice. He did play with great defenses as well, but dude was a surgeon back in the day even against great defenses though he did get his head kicked in by Parcells's Giants a few times. He showed a tremendous amount of poise. The most impressive game I remember he played was with the Chiefs when he went to the Astrodome against the number one defense in the league and picked apart Buddy Ryan's Oilers defense. He was almost 40 by then but he took the Chiefs to the AFC Title game at Buffalo where a first quarter concussion knocked him out of the game.

HemisfairArena
01-11-2015, 11:03 PM
LMAO,,,,he's not winning another ring and will go down as a fraud without Spygate and a FG kicker. If you think he will beat the Packers or Seahawks in the Super Bowl,,,,,you are an idiot.

Clipper Nation
01-11-2015, 11:14 PM
Montana, Unitas, Graham are firmly entrenched as the top 3, tbh.

HI-FI
01-11-2015, 11:15 PM
Yeah lets see those numbers.
Wonder how many more Joe would have if both he and the 49ers D knew the f'ing plays about to be run by the opponent.
That's the thing with the Pats. Belichick and Brady are HoFers but they have that secret weapon in Ernie Adams, a legit idiot savant. He was at the epicenter of Spygate and no other team has a RainMan that can figure out defenses and signals like him. Supposedly when BB was a D Coordinator for the Giants he "procured" a copy of the other team's playbook the night before and Adams memorized it in one night. Crazy. there are lots of crazy stories like that surrounding this guy.

so having someone like him tell Brady what to expect on every down helps a lot, helps with protection schemes etc...

Coughlin knows those 2 very well and when the Giants faced them in the first SB, he had the defense change their signals every quarter.

spurraider21
01-11-2015, 11:24 PM
True, but Montana also won two Super Bowls before Rice. He did play with great defenses as well, but dude was a surgeon back in the day even against great defenses though he did get his head kicked in by Parcells's Giants a few times. He showed a tremendous amount of poise. The most impressive game I remember he played was with the Chiefs when he went to the Astrodome against the number one defense in the league and picked apart Buddy Ryan's Oilers defense. He was almost 40 by then but he took the Chiefs to the AFC Title game at Buffalo where a first quarter concussion knocked him out of the game.
and brady won all of his before moss

spurraider21
01-11-2015, 11:24 PM
:lmao avante-like take

midnightpulp
01-11-2015, 11:33 PM
This is something of an impossible comparison, since we have no idea how Montana and that offense would flourish under Goodell Ball, which has inflated QB performance to the moon. It's kind of like comparing Wilt (who played in an offensively inflated era) to a modern day player, so you can't simply line up Montana's stats vs. Brady's and call it a day.

We have to chicken out and do the "era" thing here, and no doubt Brady is the best of his era, just like Joe is the best of his.

HemisfairArena
01-11-2015, 11:39 PM
If Brady loses against the Colts and Luck or Seattle or Green Bay,,,his legacy is as crushed as Kobricks in the NBA. He cant win without Spygate,,,,it is what it is,,,

LnGrrrR
01-11-2015, 11:46 PM
If Brady loses against the Colts and Luck or Seattle or Green Bay,,,his legacy is as crushed as Kobricks in the NBA. He cant win without Spygate,,,,it is what it is,,,

Who is this fucking moron?

CitizenDwayne
01-12-2015, 12:00 AM
It's Montana. Those who disagree must not have seen him in his prime.

Say what you want about teammates, coaching, career stats, injuries, whatever - game on the line, I'm taking Montana over anyone else.

spurtech09
01-12-2015, 12:09 AM
Who is this fucking moron?LMAO!!!!!!!!!!

scanry
01-12-2015, 12:47 AM
Montana was a cold blooded assassin. It's laughable that people are comparing Joe Cool to Rodgers. Brady's close though.

Robz4000
01-12-2015, 01:09 AM
Montana was a cold blooded assassin. It's laughable that people are comparing Joe Cool to Rodgers. Brady's close though.

Rodgers really reminds me of him; more than Brady at least. Their styles of play and overall personalities are very similar (albeit Montana doesn't dream of dicks). In terms of achievements Brady isn't too far off, but the gap exists.

Malik Hairston
01-12-2015, 01:35 AM
Based on raw ability, Rodgers is the best QB I've ever seen, tbh..his only flaw is that he holds the ball for too long..

He makes passes that I can't imagine other QBs making, and he does it on the move, too..10 for 10 to end the game today, clutch as fuck..

spurraider21
01-12-2015, 01:36 AM
Based on raw ability, Rodgers is the best QB I've ever seen, tbh..his only flaw is that he holds the ball for too long..

He makes passes that I can't imagine other QBs making, and he does it on the move, too..10 for 10 to end the game today, clutch as fuck..

Malik Hairston
01-12-2015, 01:38 AM
:lol drafting Alex Smith ahead of Rodgers..

spurraider21
01-12-2015, 01:49 AM
the raiders drafted Fabian Washington one pick before Rodgers was drafted

Malik Hairston
01-12-2015, 01:53 AM
the raiders drafted Fabian Washington one pick before Rodgers was drafted

Sure, but at least that's not a QB..

HI-FI
01-12-2015, 01:54 AM
Even if Niners drafted him I'm not sure he would've turned out as good. Those Niner teams were abysmal, truly the dark ages. Plus Rodgers got a lot of help in his development with the staff and learning under Favre.

....but yes we really fucked that up. :lol
i don't blame him for taking a jab at the Niners during his MVP speech.

Robz4000
01-12-2015, 01:57 AM
The Niners' FO back then was fucking retarded. They went for names and numbers without thinking about style of play, ability, or even the god damn fact that college football isn't NFL football.

AlexJones
01-12-2015, 06:12 AM
Who is this fucking moron?

:lmao

Pelicans78
01-12-2015, 06:17 AM
and brady won all of his before moss

And lost his since.

Brazil
01-12-2015, 06:59 AM
This is something of an impossible comparison, since we have no idea how Montana and that offense would flourish under Goodell Ball, which has inflated QB performance to the moon. It's kind of like comparing Wilt (who played in an offensively inflated era) to a modern day player, so you can't simply line up Montana's stats vs. Brady's and call it a day.

We have to chicken out and do the "era" thing here, and no doubt Brady is the best of his era, just like Joe is the best of his.

yup

it's like avante with his first 3 years record or whatever...

If you look at TDs, yards and stuff this era inflates the number of QBs on every possible way. For the little I saw I still consider Montana as number 1, he put some crazy good numbers even in his tougher era for QBs.

I like him at 1, 2 Brady then Aaron, Elway/Marino ?

I'm limiting myself at QBs tho, it's quite easy to follow this position for a foreigner, much more complicated to judge the other positions :lol I heard Rice was pretty good. One of the few name that crossed the atlantic out of the QBs in the 90's was Emmitt Smith

Killakobe81
01-12-2015, 09:27 AM

Really? Based on what advanced metrics? How many games of those 3 have YOU watched total? Even on NFL filims?

I think Brady with another ring isnear the top of the 5 best I have ever seen: Montana, Marino, Elway, Brady Manning. if you take out Marino (because he didnt close then you) add Farve. Rodgershas a chance to kock off one of those 5 with another ring. Brady is debatable as teh #1 with another ring ...

monosylab1k
01-12-2015, 10:01 AM
1. Montana
2. Unitas
3. Young
4. Quincy Carter
5. Brady

Imho

Brazil
01-12-2015, 11:01 AM
^ Quincy Carter ? the bipolar dude, arrested multiple times for multiple reasons ? the fuck ?

Avante
01-12-2015, 11:58 AM
When talking about greatness in any sport we ....MUST....go with vs their era. There are high school kids who could beat Jesse Owens in a 100m. That doesn't matter, Owens was the best (not really that was Eulace Peacock, but he was injured in 1936) in the world in his era, the Olympic Champion.

So with that said.

1.Joe Montana.... he never lost a SB, winning 4, his mastery of an offense unmatched.
2.Tom Brady.... where he stands with the stats combined with his SB success puts him here.
3.Johnny Unitas.... was "Da Man" in his day and is still among the elite in the stats department, at a time when throwing the ball wasn't like it is now.
4.Peyton Manning... his impact on the game can't be ignored and he has the stats
5.Otto Graham***.... he played in 10 Championship games. By far the greatest QB of his era.
6.Brett Favre.... his stats are ridiculous. Strongest arm among the elite.
7.Dan Marino.... the best pure passer the game has ever seen.
8.John Elway... the best combo of passing/running/decision maker, only Favre having a stronger arm.
9.Drew Brees.... only those above compare with his stats
10.Fran Tarkenton.... when he retired he held all the QB records, is still anong the top 10 in yards/td's.

Aaron Rodgers will be on that list just a bit too early.

Big Ben will also be on that list.

Nobody mentioned above had a better first three seasons than Russell Wilson.

*** there has never at any time been any QB so far above everyone else in his era than this guy. Only Don Hutson an old Packer receiver, Jim Brown and Jerry Rice were as dominate at their position, so dominate there was no debate, talking offense. Add TE John Mackay.

Killakobe81
01-12-2015, 01:46 PM

I agree he is one of the few QB's that make plays as a QB (outside of nice throw) that are truly high-light worthy. The throw he made across his body drifting right (I forget against who) but throwing left that IIRC was called back by a penalty maybe only 1% of QB's could have made ... maybe prime Elway and maybe prime Randall Cunningham makes that throw all arm with zip, touch AND ACCURACY. A really great QB but much to soon to put him in the top 5 ... he is on his way though ...

lefty
01-12-2015, 02:49 PM
How many rings has Brady won when they were cheating?

AaronY
01-13-2015, 10:01 AM
Everyone forgets that Montana would have accomished so much more if not for the Leonard Marshall hit

dg7md
01-14-2015, 07:46 AM
Brady would be the GOAT merely because of the large gap between his title wins, and I don't think losing Super Bowls should ever count against someone's legacy. Many people rank Joe Montana over Brady merely because he is 4-4 in Super Bowls while Brady is 3-2, both of which against fluky-ass-teams that lucked into a win more than earning it.

scanry
01-14-2015, 11:28 AM
Brady would be the GOAT merely because of the large gap between his title wins, and I don't think losing Super Bowls should ever count against someone's legacy. Many people rank Joe Montana over Brady merely because he is 4-4 in Super Bowls while Brady is 3-2, both of which against fluky-ass-teams that lucked into a win more than earning it.

Elite was big time in those 2 super bowls. That was no luck. NY wanted it more.

The Gemini Method
01-14-2015, 12:00 PM
The same posters defending Brady in his SB loses are some of the same posters who chide LeBron for his NBA finals losses. How funny. I think you can definitely make the argument between Montana and Brady. However, both will always be considered in the greatest of all time discussion and that is what makes sports interesting.

resistanze
01-14-2015, 02:12 PM
I always laugh at "finals record" arguments, as if it's better losing earlier in the playoffs (or not making it at all) than to lose in the finals :lol

Clipper Nation
01-14-2015, 02:26 PM
The Giants weren't a fluke, they just didn't blow their load in the regular season like those Pats teams did.

Arcadian
01-14-2015, 02:29 PM
I'll put it this way, he'd better win another ring to even have a chance at #1. His last ring was 11 years ago! He made it back twice and couldn't get it done, losing both times to an Eli-led team :lol. That's a pretty crappy decade of playoff results, actually.

So yeah, he needs this one, or he's out of the question.

monosylab1k
01-14-2015, 03:37 PM
Elite was big time in those 2 super bowls. That was no luck. NY wanted it more.

Yeah, Eli willed a ball to stick to a guy's helmet.

monosylab1k
01-14-2015, 03:38 PM
Then he just wanted Welker to drop a pass more than Brady wanted him to catch it.

rogues
01-14-2015, 05:29 PM

Then he just wanted Welker to drop a pass more than Brady wanted him to catch it.
Good luck..may both teams play hard..

monosylab1k
01-14-2015, 06:01 PM
Good luck..may both teams play hard..

Same to you, Big Dog. Luck is looking badass, I fear him tbh. Also, having Allen as another receiving threat will be huge, we can't guard TE's for shit.

dirk4mvp
01-14-2015, 06:27 PM

Tyree was inspired by det escape tbh

HI-FI
01-14-2015, 08:58 PM
Iirc, Montana never had a single INT in the SBs, in an era when defenses could get away with a lot more. Plus Montana followed up his MVP season with his third SB MVP in the most lopsided SB ass beating. A bit different than winning your SBs by 3 points, needing a legendary kicker and great camera work. So even if Brady wins this year, he's still not in Montana's class imo.

lefty
01-14-2015, 10:26 PM
:lmao Ray Lewis is asshurt :lmao

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2329848-ray-lewis-says-the-tuck-rule-is-the-only-reason-people-know-of-tom-brady?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national

Pelicans78
01-14-2015, 10:27 PM

Brady should have made a better throw to someone who was as wide open as Welker. Welker probably should have it had, but a better throw would have sealed it.

Pelicans78
01-14-2015, 10:28 PM
Iirc, Montana never had a single INT in the SBs, in an era when defenses could get away with a lot more. Plus Montana followed up his MVP season with his third SB MVP in the most lopsided SB ass beating. A bit different than winning your SBs by 3 points, needing a legendary kicker and great camera work. So even if Brady wins this year, he's still not in Montana's class imo.

I agree. I watched Montana in his prime (unfortunately live as well) and his prime was better than Brady's.

dg7md
01-14-2015, 11:14 PM
The Giants weren't a fluke, they just didn't blow their load in the regular season like those Pats teams did.

I'll agree with you on the 2011 win, but the 2007 win was marred with a lot of fluke moments (helmet catch, dropped pass) and considering that pretty much everyone remembers the Patriots going 18-1 more than the Giants winning, it makes me think that it was not only one of the biggest upsets of all time, but one of the flukiest of moments (more than 6. if you consider all factors IMO).

Infinite_limit
01-15-2015, 12:56 AM
I'll agree with you on the 2011 win, but the 2007 win was marred with a lot of fluke moments (helmet catch, dropped pass) and considering that pretty much everyone remembers the Patriots going 18-1 more than the Giants winning, it makes me think that it was not only one of the biggest upsets of all time, but one of the flukiest of moments (more than 6. if you consider all factors IMO).
2011 definitely wasn't a fluke

Kyle Williams - 3 fumbles

monosylab1k
01-15-2015, 01:07 AM
Brady should have made a better throw to someone who was as wide open as Welker. Welker probably should have it had, but a better throw would have sealed it.

The throw wasn't pinpoint, but it was good enough. Welker should have caught it, plain and simple. Not that Brady didn't make some God awful throws in that game. That one deep ball to Gronkowski where he completely underthrew a one-legged man was inexcusable.

Clipper Nation
01-15-2015, 01:17 AM
2011 definitely wasn't a fluke

Kyle Williams - 3 fumbles

Maybe the Whiners shouldn't have choked so hard on third downs that game (1-13) if they wanted to win.

spurraider21
01-15-2015, 02:10 AM
The throw wasn't pinpoint, but it was good enough. Welker should have caught it, plain and simple. Not that Brady didn't make some God awful throws in that game. That one deep ball to Gronkowski where he completely underthrew a one-legged man was inexcusable.
not sure if its the same play, but there was the one where he tried to pull an Eli Manning/Tyree and got picked off :lol

sook
01-17-2015, 02:34 PM
Best of all-time from a longevity/career standpoint, tbh..

Although if Rodgers miraculously wins this year, he's the best of all-time from a peak perspective IMO..

truff bombs

lefty
01-17-2015, 05:28 PM
tbh the Pats lost 2 close games vs the Giants, and Gronk missed both games

Clipper Nation
01-18-2015, 01:17 AM
tbh the Pats lost 2 close games vs the Giants, and Gronk missed both games

Gronkowski was a freshman at Arizona during that first Super Bowl, and Brady had Randy Moss for that one. No excuses, tbh.

Also, the Giants flat-out owned the Pats during that 2007-2011 era. Their only loss to them was Week 17 in '07 and that was only by 3, and the Pats had to come back to beat them.

Infinite_limit
01-18-2015, 02:28 AM
truff bombs
Ya, if you started watching the NFL in 2000

IMO Brady will finish Top 3 along with Montana & Unitas. But I need to mention

37 year old Joe Montana in 1993 (1 single start between 1991 & 1993) got the Chiefs into the AFC Title Game

lefty
01-18-2015, 02:36 AM
As long as Peyton doesn't ring