PDA

View Full Version : The Daily Quickie from ESPN.com

GhostofAlfrederickHughes
09-01-2005, 09:02 AM
Let's just save the trouble and give the Spurs their 2006 championship rings in the same ceremony we give them rings for '05.

Because having swiped Mike Finley from the Heat and Suns (along with grabbing Nick Van Exel), the Spurs are as much of a favorite as they could be.

Kudos to Finley on the decision: He took the best chance for a title over Miami money and glitz. What's his ring size?

The Spurs were already among the top contenders for 2006. Now, they could challenge for the NBA's best regular-season record of all time.

(This isn't the dysfunctional '04 Lakers; this is the best TEAM in the NBA, loading up with a talented swingman and a potent combo guard.)

:elephant

Big Pimp_21
09-01-2005, 09:07 AM
point well taken. Our bench could be a starting line-up in some cities.

mikester
09-01-2005, 09:18 AM
I've been a diehard Spurs fan since 1978, when I was 9 years old. I still can't believe that we've reached this point as a franchise. Ever since the new ownership took over, this team has made an unbelievable climb to the top. They continue to impress me and amaze me. It's about time that some of these players around the league have taken notice of what a special thing the Spurs got going on right now. It's about time that they've also figured who the best player in the NBA is. Tim Duncan. It sure feels good to be a Spurs fan right now.

ObiwanGinobili
09-01-2005, 09:27 AM
Let's just save the trouble and give the Spurs their 2006 championship rings in the same ceremony we give them rings for '05. :elephant :elephant
:tu Hell Ya!!! :smokin

Damn straight. Spurs are gonna kick sooo much ass this year.... *sigh*.. but it'll be hard to be a fan with out the underdog/we get no respect thing.... nah! It'll be easy!!

GO SPURS GO

Big Pimp_21
09-01-2005, 09:30 AM
I'll bet we still get limited respect from all the talking heads. They'll say that the Suns are the most exciting and the Heat have the almighty Shaq. While we are the most talented, most well-coached, unselfish team in the NBA, we will still be underappreciated until next June.

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-01-2005, 09:36 AM
I'll bet we still get limited respect from all the talking heads. They'll say that the Suns are the most exciting and the Heat have the almighty Shaq.

Actually I've seen in a few places on the web and on talk radio in the last 12 hours where multiple sports commentators/reporters are saying the Spurs will challenge the Bulls regular season record with Findog and NVE in the house.

Ishta
09-01-2005, 09:38 AM
Let's see what kind of BS SAS spews now....

GhostofAlfrederickHughes
09-01-2005, 09:42 AM
I think the 'Challenge the Bulls & 72 wins' stuff is a bit premature, to say the least. Obviously, IF we stay healthy, 60 wins is no problem. But it takes a lot of luck, and also, the new guys have to mesh almost right away to get it to work. Last year, we got off to a flying start, because Barry was really the only new face to work in. Now, Popovich has to integrate a foreign player (Oberto) and two veterans who are used to more minutes.

That being said, once Pop figures out which rotations work best, this team certainly has the potential to be the best Spurs team ever. And one of the best of all time.

One other thing. IF the Spurs go on to repeat, then I think people like Bill Simmons, Charley rosen, etc. need to start realizing exactly where this franchise stands among the list of great teams.

Big Pimp_21
09-01-2005, 09:44 AM
Let's see what kind of BS SAS spews now....

He'll still say that Miami's acquisition of Walker/White Chocolate is better than the Spurs picking up NVE and Finley. "PLUS THE SPURS STILL DONT HAVE THE MOST DOMINANT FORCE IN THE NBA"
:rolleyes

I swear...I think Shaq pays SAS's allowance the way that guys rides his jock.

SenorSpur
09-01-2005, 10:30 AM
I've been a diehard Spurs fan since 1978, when I was 9 years old. I still can't believe that we've reached this point as a franchise. Ever since the new ownership took over, this team has made an unbelievable climb to the top. They continue to impress me and amaze me. It's about time that some of these players around the league have taken notice of what a special thing the Spurs got going on right now. It's about time that they've also figured who the best player in the NBA is. Tim Duncan. It sure feels good to be a Spurs fan right now.

Great points. I believe this signifies a "changing of the guard", so to speak. It wasn't that long ago that NBA free agents were rushing to play with Shaq. Now, players may be starting to recognize Tim's greatness and the special culture that exists in Spurland.

Perhaps it's too early to say this, but I never thought I'd see the day that NBA FA would pick SA over the other NBA hot spots.

Let's appreciate Duncan for who he his, what he stands for and, of course, his unique skills as both a player and a person.

CaptainLate
09-01-2005, 12:49 PM
I think the 'Challenge the Bulls & 72 wins' stuff is a bit premature, to say the least. Obviously, IF we stay healthy, 60 wins is no problem. But it takes a lot of luck, and also, the new guys have to mesh almost right away to get it to work. Last year, we got off to a flying start, because Barry was really the only new face to work in. Now, Popovich has to integrate a foreign player (Oberto) and two veterans who are used to more minutes.

That being said, once Pop figures out which rotations work best, this team certainly has the potential to be the best Spurs team ever. And one of the best of all time.

Agreed. Pop isn't going to worry about all time wins record. His focus is making everyone mesh and get ready for the playoffs.

beirmeistr
09-01-2005, 12:56 PM
Great points. I believe this signifies a "changing of the guard", so to speak. It wasn't that long ago that NBA free agents were rushing to play with Shaq. Now, players may be starting to recognize Tim's greatness and the special culture that exists in Spurland.

Perhaps it's too early to say this, but I never thought I'd see the day that NBA FA would pick SA over the other NBA hot spots.

Let's appreciate Duncan for who he his, what he stands for and, of course, his unique skills as both a player and a person.
I think the memory of a weakened, injured Shaq in the playoffs, along with the realization that Shaq is 33 years old, diminished the Shaqdaddy's influence with NVE and MF.

MiNuS
09-01-2005, 01:05 PM
as much as .04 caused pain it has now caused 1000% more joy.

I see that .04 loss as the best LOSS the Spurs could have ever had.

King
09-01-2005, 01:10 PM
.4. It's .4

There's no zero. That's 4 hundreths of a second.

DDS4
09-01-2005, 02:52 PM
Enjoy this people....

We are reaching the pinnacle.