PDA

View Full Version : NBA: 3-team trade between OKC/Brooklyn/Charlotte involving Brook Lopez + more

SpursFan86
01-15-2015, 10:19 PM

Sounds pretty stupid tbh

ElNono
01-15-2015, 10:20 PM
Brook Lopez to OKC? Are they getting rid of Perk?

Robz4000
01-15-2015, 10:21 PM
Meth throwing shit at the wall and hoping it sticks. Trade makes sense for Brooklyn/Charlotte.

SpursFan86
01-15-2015, 10:22 PM
Brook Lopez to OKC? Are they getting rid of Perk?

Think they'd have to in order to make the salaries work. Unless I'm missing something, the trade Broussard reported wouldn't work financially.

Kawhi
01-15-2015, 10:22 PM
Multiplesources.gif

spursparker9
01-15-2015, 10:23 PM
OKC getting another upgrade for free.

timtonymanu
01-15-2015, 10:24 PM
What are Broussard's "sources"?

timtonymanu
01-15-2015, 10:25 PM

Meh. He's a team cancer.

RD2191
01-15-2015, 10:31 PM
What are Broussard's "sources"?
Tspence

daslicer
01-15-2015, 10:48 PM
A great trade for OKC this would be the equivalent to the Gasol trade. If OKC can get into the playoffs they can definitely create a lot of noise if this trade goes down.

gambit1990
01-15-2015, 10:49 PM
great trade for the thunder. the nets are giving up lopez for stephenson? geez... happy the hornets got rid of him.

FkLA
01-15-2015, 10:51 PM
Overrated. If he takes minutes away from Adams it would only be good news for the Spurs tbh.

ElNono
:lol How is this great for OKC? They already a defensive anchor in Abaka, who has way more offensive game than Lopez... they're sorely lacking perimeter D...

Clipper Nation
Lopez is soft, can't rebound or play defense and is always injured, not sure why Spurfan is so scared of him :lol

VBM
http://www.thecoli.com/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/mjlol.png at anyone thinking this wouldn't help OKC.

Malik Hairston
Lopez is a really mediocre basketball player, tbh..Damn, is this going to be another case of NBA fans overrating a player that hasn't been good in years?:lol..

I'm never going to understand why NBA fans are so enamored with names, tbh..

timtonymanu
01-15-2015, 10:52 PM
A great trade for OKC this would be the equivalent to the Gasol trade. If OKC can get into the playoffs they can definitely create a lot of noise if this trade goes down.

:lol no.

timtonymanu
01-15-2015, 10:53 PM
Lopez is a really mediocre basketball player, tbh..Damn, is this going to be another case of NBA fans overrating a player that hasn't been good in years?:lol..

SpurPadre should be starting another thread soon about how it's a great trade. :lol

NASpurs
01-15-2015, 10:55 PM
:lol no.

:lol I was laughing for a good solid thirty seconds when I read that...

:lol equivalent to the Gasol trade

cd021
01-15-2015, 10:55 PM

Would he be? He can score in the post but is rather slow and notoriously bad as rebounder and has been a sketchy defender. Assuming he starts and HOF Adams comes off the bench, i could see the Spurs attempting to exploit him in P&R. They'd also be paying the tax so its far from free even if they ship out Perkin and Lamb, they'd add another $4 million to the cap pushing them to over $83 million with the luxury tax at $77 million.

This team swapped Harden to avoid paying it but are going to go past it this season and probably next for Lopez and Waiters? They'd have $76 million committed for next season, to 13 players that's 10 million over the projected cap. They'd save $5 million in cap alone if they'd pawn off Jackson and PJIII for future lottery pick.

D-Wade
01-15-2015, 10:59 PM
I don't think this helps OKC at all. While he brings some post scoring, he can't board and isn't a defensive force. I also can't see Lopez keeping up with the uptempo way OKC plays. In that respect, he's no different than Perk.

cd021
01-15-2015, 10:59 PM
Lopez is soft, can't rebound or play defense and is always injured, not sure why Spurfan is so scared of him :lol

Truth nuke. They'd probably need to move Jackson for minimal return (probably a future 1st) just to not send them further into the tax this season and next season.

Sean Cagney
01-15-2015, 11:01 PM
http://www.thecoli.com/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/mjlol.png at anyone thinking this wouldn't help OKC.

I agree with you, they downplay things all they want but if they give up that for him they get better.

Robz4000
01-15-2015, 11:01 PM
Hopefully this trade means they lose Lamb and Porkins.

Splits
01-15-2015, 11:02 PM
Can't believe the Thunder are giving up on Lamb so quickly, some players picked in the early teens ride the bench their first 3 years and then blossom into lucky Allen Iversons.

FkLA
01-15-2015, 11:06 PM

I'm never going to understand why NBA fans are so enamored with names, tbh..

Scoring makes up about 99% of an average fans player evaluation. smh

cd021
01-15-2015, 11:07 PM
Can't believe the Thunder are giving up on Lamb so quickly, some players picked in the early teens ride the bench their first 3 years and then blossom into lucky Allen Iversons.

apparently has a rep as very inconsistent player. Lowe said he has nice game and the disappears for a few weeks at a time.

100%duncan
01-15-2015, 11:10 PM
Lol okc
Lol brooks
Lol giving up on youngsters

baseline bum
01-15-2015, 11:14 PM

LOL, no. Gasol was a strong rebounder and good defender, Brooke is charmin soft.

Malik Hairston
01-15-2015, 11:19 PM
Lopez can be a solid bench scoring piece, he's not a starter..the Nets have gotten better every time he sits out:lol..

The Warriors learned the same thing about David Lee..these types of soft bigs can't start on a top-level team..

Silver&Black
01-15-2015, 11:26 PM
OKC freaking out since they heard that Kawhi was coming back....

NBA=fucked

Franklin
01-16-2015, 12:02 AM
OKC stacked, top western teams are gonna start to tank some games just to avoid the #1 and #2 seeds (since OKC won't likely finish above 7)... it doesn't include the Guest team though, they're going down the slope anyway habitually

ambchang
01-16-2015, 07:41 AM
Lopez's greatest strength is scoring, of which OKC doesn't need any. In fact, it will take the ball away from Durant and westbrook and make OkC worse.

He can't pass, can't defend, can't rebound or do anything else. Ibaka is a good weak side defender (ie shot blocker) but not a strong one on one defender In The post. Not sure how this would help OKC at all.

Raven
01-16-2015, 07:47 AM
hopefully doesn't happen, i have steven adams in fantasy

Raven
01-16-2015, 07:50 AM
Lopez's greatest strength is scoring, of which OKC doesn't need any. In fact, it will take the ball away from Durant and westbrook and make OkC worse.

He can't pass, can't defend, can't rebound or do anything else. Ibaka is a good weak side defender (ie shot blocker) but not a strong one on one defender In The post. Not sure how this would help OKC at all.

much easier to play inside out tbh. Can't foul brook much and he's going to score consistently if help doesn't come, therefore he just needs to make a pass and rw and durant can obviously catch and shoot. Defensively, they were going to use ibaka and a wing defender anyway, so it's a great fit. Obviously the problem is brook's injury history.

Killakobe81
01-16-2015, 08:24 AM
I wont regurgitate but not an ideal fit. It's a talent upgrade. And on paper it make them more dangerous but rarely does a team make huge deals to core players mid seasons and then win a title. Usually it's a fringe guy or role player that adds depth or provides something a contender lacks ...

OKC is NOT winning a title this year. SO Spur fans should be happy for that more than anything else. But it looked doubtful even BEFORe this deal.

ambchang
01-16-2015, 08:31 AM
much easier to play inside out tbh. Can't foul brook much and he's going to score consistently if help doesn't come, therefore he just needs to make a pass and rw and durant can obviously catch and shoot. Defensively, they were going to use ibaka and a wing defender anyway, so it's a great fit. Obviously the problem is brook's injury history.

My observations with Lopez is that he is just not good of a passer, and Westbrook and Durant are not catch and shooters. In fact, if you reduce them to that, it works in the Spurs favour.

From a Spurs perspective, Splitter or Duncan can effectively guard Lopez, and Kawhi, Green and even Ginobili are great at the passing lanes. Anytime you can take the ball out of Durant or Westbrook hands is a good thing.

As for defense, Ibaka is not really that good defensively, he's great weakside, but that is providing Perkins was already there to do enough damage. A guy like Duncan can score on Ibaka all day long and draw him away from the lane, which, again, works to the Spurs advantage.

That said, I don't have a crystal ball, and I have had horrible takes in the past, so we will see .....

BTW, I still see OKC as the Spurs primary threat in the West, they just match up so well against the Spurs from an athletic point of view. The next greatest threats are GSW (obviously as they have the best record, but also because they have these versatile wing players and Bogut manning the middle, when healthy), HOU (Never figured out how to guard Harden, but it's a great thing McHale is their coach, and they don't have any other reliable creators on offense), and that's pretty much it.

djohn2oo8
01-16-2015, 08:50 AM
My observations with Lopez is that he is just not good of a passer, and Westbrook and Durant are not catch and shooters. In fact, if you reduce them to that, it works in the Spurs favour.

From a Spurs perspective, Splitter or Duncan can effectively guard Lopez, and Kawhi, Green and even Ginobili are great at the passing lanes. Anytime you can take the ball out of Durant or Westbrook hands is a good thing.

As for defense, Ibaka is not really that good defensively, he's great weakside, but that is providing Perkins was already there to do enough damage. A guy like Duncan can score on Ibaka all day long and draw him away from the lane, which, again, works to the Spurs advantage.

That said, I don't have a crystal ball, and I have had horrible takes in the past, so we will see .....

BTW, I still see OKC as the Spurs primary threat in the West, they just match up so well against the Spurs from an athletic point of view. The next greatest threats are GSW (obviously as they have the best record, but also because they have these versatile wing players and Bogut manning the middle, when healthy), HOU (Never figured out how to guard Harden, but it's a great thing McHale is their coach, and they don't have any other reliable creators on offense), and that's pretty much it.

I wish Houston could find a way to get Ty Lawson. Don't know what other PGs besides Dragic are out there.

Raven
01-16-2015, 09:06 AM

how are durant and rw not good catch and shoot players? You leave them open, they are going to score, it's that simple.

Raven
01-16-2015, 09:08 AM
I wish Houston could find a way to get Ty Lawson. Don't know what other PGs besides Dragic are out there.

Lawson is not a fit for harden, Houston would need a pg that defends and can play off the ball. Dragič is perhaps the best possible fit, but i doubt he want's to return to houston.

ambchang
01-16-2015, 09:17 AM
how are durant and rw not good catch and shoot players? You leave them open, they are going to score, it's that simple.

Not that they are not good ones, but they are not catch and shooters. Their strength is that they are creators on offense, and that's when they are most dangerous.

Nobody would turn Lebron, Jordan, or Kobe into catch and shooters, because they are a LOT more than that. Limiting their roles in to catch and shooters hurts your offense because they take away their strengths. It's like turning Nash into a catch and shooter. Can he do it? Sure, but that's limiting him.

Good catch and shooters go for much cheaper than Durant and Westbrook, tying up the majority of your cap on two catch and shooters will doom you.

Raven
01-16-2015, 09:20 AM
Not that they are not good ones, but they are not catch and shooters. Their strength is that they are creators on offense, and that's when they are most dangerous.

Nobody would turn Lebron, Jordan, or Kobe into catch and shooters, because they are a LOT more than that. Limiting their roles in to catch and shooters hurts your offense because they take away their strengths. It's like turning Nash into a catch and shooter. Can he do it? Sure, but that's limiting him.

Good catch and shooters go for much cheaper than Durant and Westbrook, tying up the majority of your cap on two catch and shooters will doom you.
All three are very bad examples as they aren't even close to being comparable shooters to rw and durant. It's also not the idea to make them catch and shooters, but to have an alternative depending on matchups.

ambchang
01-16-2015, 09:21 AM

The thing is that Harden is really ball dominant, and he has enough PG skills on defense that you don't really need a traditional PG next to him. Someone in the mold of the Bulls Ron Harper (a tall SG type person who defends well, has some PG skills, and can shoot) would be ideal. I can't think of anybody who would fit right now, maybe a guy like Korver or Brandon Knight would work, but those guys are too expensive and way more than necessary.

HOU's C, PF, and SG positions are more than set. All they need is a decent PG (don't have to be an allstar), a decent bench, and a coach, and they would be a championship team (likely favourite).

ambchang
01-16-2015, 09:30 AM
All three are very bad examples as they aren't even close to being comparable shooters to rw and durant. It's also not the idea to make them catch and shooters, but to have an alternative depending on matchups.

I'd say all three are better shooters than Westbrook, and Nash is obviously one of the best shooters in the history of the league.

Options are always good, but I'd have a hard time imagining a situation in the playoffs where a matchup would warrant taking the ball away from Westbrook/Durant and giving it to Lopez. Not to mention Lopez camping his ass within 10 feet of the basket would muck up the driving lanes for OKC. He's a decent enough shooter from outside, but Ibaka is already doing that right now, not to mention him playing outside of the paint will make the idea of playing inside-out moot.

I can see Ibaka and Lopez setting double screens, with Westbrook and Durant handling the ball for multiple offensive options (drive to the basket, off ball screens with either the screener or the guy coming off the off ball screen getting the ball, on ball screens with the ball handler or the screener scoring, etc ..., lots of options), but that would be a donut team on offense, kill offensive rebound chances, and be a very unpredictable offense.

It's going to be tough.

On defense, Lopez is a disaster.

DMC
01-16-2015, 09:39 AM
All these shit players moving between teams won't change the outcome of the season.

Raven
01-16-2015, 09:46 AM
I'd say all three are better shooters than Westbrook, and Nash is obviously one of the best shooters in the history of the league.

Options are always good, but I'd have a hard time imagining a situation in the playoffs where a matchup would warrant taking the ball away from Westbrook/Durant and giving it to Lopez. Not to mention Lopez camping his ass within 10 feet of the basket would muck up the driving lanes for OKC. He's a decent enough shooter from outside, but Ibaka is already doing that right now, not to mention him playing outside of the paint will make the idea of playing inside-out moot.

I can see Ibaka and Lopez setting double screens, with Westbrook and Durant handling the ball for multiple offensive options (drive to the basket, off ball screens with either the screener or the guy coming off the off ball screen getting the ball, on ball screens with the ball handler or the screener scoring, etc ..., lots of options), but that would be a donut team on offense, kill offensive rebound chances, and be a very unpredictable offense.

It's going to be tough.

On defense, Lopez is a disaster.

all three are among the worst 3point shooters in history. Nash obviously is a whole different matter. Brook Lopez to okc would give them an alternative to constant isoing which is their main problem.

hater
01-16-2015, 09:48 AM
dont think Lopez would help OKC tbh. Ibaka is superior due to his D and he is a bigman shooter. How they could possibly be together is beyond me.

Lopez would fit in Golden State like a glove tbh. oh well

ambchang
01-16-2015, 10:13 AM
all three are among the worst 3point shooters in history. Nash obviously is a whole different matter. Brook Lopez to okc would give them an alternative to constant isoing which is their main problem.

OKC's problem is that they need less ISO, not more. They ISO like no other in the league already, and it's successful because of Westbrook and Durant.

Just think about this, would you rather have Lopez or Durant/Westbrook iso? So how would taking the ball out of their hands and giving it to Lopez be good? It would be good from a variety/throw the defense off sort of way, but not as a main strategy.

And I don't know where you got the idea that they are the worst 3 point shooters in history, they are not Steve Kerr, but Kobe (33.4%), Jordan (32.7% in an era of less emphasis on 3 pt shooting), and Lebron (34.2%) are all at least average or above average shooters. Durant checks in at 37.9% and Westbrook at 30.2%.

SnakeBoy
01-16-2015, 11:22 AM
OKC's problem is they need a decent coach. Lopez won't fix that problem.

Raven
01-16-2015, 11:51 AM
OKC's problem is that they need less ISO, not more. They ISO like no other in the league already, and it's successful because of Westbrook and Durant.

Just think about this, would you rather have Lopez or Durant/Westbrook iso? So how would taking the ball out of their hands and giving it to Lopez be good? It would be good from a variety/throw the defense off sort of way, but not as a main strategy.

And I don't know where you got the idea that they are the worst 3 point shooters in history, they are not Steve Kerr, but Kobe (33.4%), Jordan (32.7% in an era of less emphasis on 3 pt shooting), and Lebron (34.2%) are all at least average or above average shooters. Durant checks in at 37.9% and Westbrook at 30.2%.

what i'm saying is, that having lopez, would help them have LESS iso's, not more.

FromWayDowntown
01-16-2015, 11:59 AM

I see the point in saying that they add value by breaking down defenses and forcing help, but in 4th quarters, they're not exactly creators for anyone other than themselves. Maybe the thought process from OKC's standpoint is that if they can force defenses to react to someone other than KD/RW, it will make things easier for those guys when they do catch the ball -- maybe not compel them to be catch-and-shoot guys, but allow them to penetrate after they've played inside-out and maybe forced a double on the block.

If only OKC had a guy who could break down defenses and create shots for KD/RW in 4th quarters by being a legitimate scoring threat and a good playmaker.

They're acquiring talent in OKC, but there almost seems to be a desperation to their efforts at this point. I do wonder if they're thinking that by acquiring Waiters/Lopez, it gives them the option to shop Jackson and some of their other redundant but talented guys to make one gigantic splash before the deadline.

ambchang
01-16-2015, 12:14 PM
what i'm saying is, that having lopez, would help them have LESS iso's, not more.

Isolating Lopez in the low post, even with kick outs, is still iso ball. They did that with Jordan in the 90s a lot, and that is iso ball.

I see the point in saying that they add value by breaking down defenses and forcing help, but in 4th quarters, they're not exactly creators for anyone other than themselves. Maybe the thought process from OKC's standpoint is that if they can force defenses to react to someone other than KD/RW, it will make things easier for those guys when they do catch the ball -- maybe not compel them to be catch-and-shoot guys, but allow them to penetrate after they've played inside-out and maybe forced a double on the block.

If only OKC had a guy who could break down defenses and create shots for KD/RW in 4th quarters by being a legitimate scoring threat and a good playmaker.

They're acquiring talent in OKC, but there almost seems to be a desperation to their efforts at this point. I do wonder if they're thinking that by acquiring Waiters/Lopez, it gives them the option to shop Jackson and some of their other redundant but talented guys to make one gigantic splash before the deadline.

As a Spurs fan, it's actually great to see, I think they are taking steps back, reminds me of the Suns getting Shaq and killed any chance they had of contending.

Still, OKC with a system and a bench will be a tough team to beat, but for some reason, they are going for neither.

spurraider21
01-16-2015, 12:34 PM
:lol How is this great for OKC? They already a defensive anchor in Abaka, who has way more offensive game than Lopez... they're sorely lacking perimeter D...
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view3/1570550/say-what-now-o.gif

DAF86
01-16-2015, 12:49 PM

Mmmh you thinking of his brother, tbh.

gambit1990
01-16-2015, 01:40 PM
the nets have decided not to move lopez right now.

ElNono
01-16-2015, 03:14 PM
Mmmh you thinking of his brother, tbh.

Nah, I'm saying Abaka has more offensive game than Lopez... Lopez can score in the post, but he's not really that good/dominant post player... Abaka can finish above the rim, has a solid jumper, and spaces all the way to the 3 point line...

With Adams and Collison in the fold, I don't see how it helps OKC... Sure, he's an upgrade over Perk, but I think OKC has problems somewhere else..

Mel_13
01-16-2015, 03:22 PM

:lol

Chris
01-16-2015, 03:30 PM
:lol Stephenson cancer

DAF86
01-17-2015, 02:01 PM
Nah, I'm saying Abaka has more offensive game than Lopez... Lopez can score in the post, but he's not really that good/dominant post player... Abaka can finish above the rim, has a solid jumper, and spaces all the way to the 3 point line...

With Adams and Collison in the fold, I don't see how it helps OKC... Sure, he's an upgrade over Perk, but I think OKC has problems somewhere else..

Dude, you said "They already (have) a defensive anchor, who has way more offensive game than Lopez" implying Brook Lopez is some kind of defensive presence with little offensive game when he's known for the complete opposite. You're talking like he would be redundant with Adams, Collison and Perkins when he actually gives OKC something they have always lacked which is a bigman with a post game. Granted I don't think he's going to help much 'cause he's overrated and sucks but the point still remains that on paper Brook Lopez gives OKC a different weapon.

Don't pull a lefty and admit you had Brook Lopez mixed up. :lol

ElNono
01-17-2015, 06:47 PM
Dude, you said "They already (have) a defensive anchor, who has way more offensive game than Lopez" implying Brook Lopez is some kind of defensive presence with little offensive game when he's known for the complete opposite. You're talking like he would be redundant with Adams, Collison and Perkins when he actually gives OKC something they have always lacked which is a bigman with a post game. Granted I don't think he's going to help much 'cause he's overrated and sucks but the point still remains that on paper Brook Lopez gives OKC a different weapon.

Don't pull a lefty and admit you had Brook Lopez mixed up. :lol

No, I'm going through the gamut of reasons why he would help OKC:

defense -> No, Abaka is already their anchor and way better shotblocker and weak side help defender. Adams has been doing the "tank" post defender job that Perk was doing. There's no improvement on that end from Lopez.
offense -> No, Abaka is the better offensive player.

Basically, they're getting another Adams/Collison, with a slightly better post game (not dominant though). He's not even a solid rebounder. I don't get why people fall in love with names, tbh...

DAF86
01-17-2015, 07:11 PM
No, I'm going through the gamut of reasons why he would help OKC:

defense -> No, Abaka is already their anchor and way better shotblocker and weak side help defender. Adams has been doing the "tank" post defender job that Perk was doing. There's no improvement on that end from Lopez.
offense -> No, Abaka is the better offensive player.

Basically, they're getting another Adams/Collison, with a slightly better post game (not dominant though). He's not even a solid rebounder. I don't get why people fall in love with names, tbh...

You can give Lopez the ball in the post and have him create offense from there. None of the other OKC bigs can do that, not even Ibaka.

I agree with you that Lope won't help them much, but that's 'cause he's overrated not because he's another Adams/Collison. Their skill sets couldn't be more different. Theoretically Lopez does give OKC a different look.

ElNono
01-17-2015, 07:26 PM
You can give Lopez the ball in the post and have him create offense from there. None of the other OKC bigs can do that, not even Ibaka.

I agree with you that Lope won't help them much, but that's 'cause he's overrated not because he's another Adams/Collison. Their skill sets couldn't be more different. Theoretically Lopez does give OKC a different look.

Lopez isn't dominant enough to "create offense" from the post, IMO. He only demands a single cover, and if he decides to shoot, that's actually much more preferable to the opposing team than letting WB, Durant or even Abaka or Jackson taking the shot.