PDA

View Full Version : Lakers: Kobe can still be a good player

100%duncan
01-15-2015, 11:52 PM
If he keeps on using the defensive attention that's given to him by finding open teammates. Watching the game now, LA can be fun to watch when Kobe isnt playing 1v5 every posession. He's still given the primary defensive focus by all teams and if he could just pass the ball every game like what he's doing now, even if it's just stat padding, Lakers wont be so bad at all. Props to the mamba tbh.

Splits
01-16-2015, 12:17 AM
To be fair, like 8 of his assists are Hill 18-20 footers. Dude is in 2012 WCF Abaka form

SupremeGuy
01-16-2015, 12:19 AM
The lakers would have a better record if kirby wasn't shitting on the team earlier by going for the brick record. Now that he got that, he seems more willing to pass.

Splits
01-16-2015, 12:24 AM
Kobe has 3 games out of 33 this season shooting over 50%. He's 5/11 tonight. Can he make history?

midnightpulp
01-16-2015, 12:26 AM
I won't hate tonight. He's playing well, but Splits is right in that most of his assists are not really the result of playmaking and more just dumping it off to Hill or Boozer for a jumper.

That said, at least his fans will have something to feel good about tonight, much as it pains me.

DMC
01-16-2015, 12:28 AM
Kobe's done.

100%duncan
01-16-2015, 12:34 AM
I hate Kobe as much as you guys but you still gotta give credit even if he's just "dumping" it to someone. Lakers dont have a system so of course it's gonna be dribble dribble penetrate pass most of the time, sometime simplicity can get it done. If he was trying to be flashy he'd commit a lot of TO's and everyone knows we would be all over it.

FkLA
01-16-2015, 12:38 AM
He's always had good vision. Too bad his ego never allowed him to utilize that skill. I would've actually been a fan, similar to how I enjoy Bron's game.

He's probably given in bc the alternative is shooting 3/19 though not bc he suddenly became unselfish.

FkLA
01-16-2015, 12:47 AM
Also Im sure coaches will adjust. He really doesn't warrant the attention he gets. He's a bigger threat as a passer than a scorer nowadays.

Blatt is doubling him when he gets the ball in the block...the smart thing to do is to let him shoot his low percentage fadeaway. Pop did the same shit when they came into SA and won. At some point coaches will stop swarming him based on reputation.

100%duncan
01-16-2015, 12:54 AM
Yah not sure why they kept doubling him, big reason why he's playing good tonight. But imho, coaches wont or cant adjust since LA will always be equal to Kobe and there's no other consistent "threat" that could warrant the attention that kobe gets.

UZER
01-16-2015, 01:35 AM
Oh Kobe came back in time for a nationally televised game? What a shock.

sook
01-16-2015, 01:36 AM
mah deck.

Calispursfan11
01-16-2015, 01:37 AM
To be fair, like 8 of his assists are Hill 18-20 footers. Dude is in 2012 WCF Abaka form

Ibaka my friend, calling him Abaka is insulting.

Splits
01-16-2015, 01:52 AM
Ibaka my friend, calling him Abaka is insulting.

STFU bitch you're not my friend

:whine

D-Wade
01-16-2015, 02:03 AM
Yeah but Bean's gone Kobe Johnson before. Doesn't mean he'll sustain it.

Calispursfan11
01-16-2015, 02:14 AM

Lol wut, ok we're not friends then obviously. Abaka is not his name tho. Learn to spell punkmeat.

Calispursfan11
01-16-2015, 02:19 AM

btw I allied with you in the past when you were getting shit on by the "Elite Company" how quickly you forget, Mr. "offered to buy the site but wasn't taken seriously". You've shown your true colors you ingrate.

Splits
01-16-2015, 02:19 AM
Lol wut, ok we're not friends then obviously. Abaka is not his name tho. Learn to spell punkmeat.

Bend over punk, I'll show you some meat

http://blacksportsonline.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Serge-Ibaka-Pants.jpg

Calispursfan11
01-16-2015, 02:21 AM
Bend over punk, I'll show you some meat

http://blacksportsonline.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Serge-Ibaka-Pants.jpg

Come at me fool. Don't forget I drove DMC off the site for months and he's a tough marthafocker.

Splits
01-16-2015, 02:23 AM
btw I allied with you in the past when you were getting shit on by the "Elite Company" how quickly you forget, Mr. "offered to buy the site but wasn't taken seriously". You've shown your true colors you ingrate.

srsly? Guess I gave you too much credit. Always liked you, kid, but... n/m

Splits
01-16-2015, 02:27 AM
Come at me fool. Don't forget I drove DMC off the site for months and he's a tough marthafocker.

:lmao DMC is the biggest poser on this site. But you're missing the forest for the trees...

Calispursfan11
01-16-2015, 02:36 AM
:lmao DMC is the biggest poser on this site. But you're missing the forest for the trees...

Maybe but you can't deny how unwavering and persistent that fucker is. Takes some serious psychological damage to cause him to leave a site for an extended period of time. But I was able to inflict that on him and he's been scarred ever since. Would you like me to repeat that on you? My investment in the site is minimal so that gives me leverage on damaging those who pour a lot into such as yourself (someone who has admittedly offered to buy the site). Are you ready for that or do you choose truce? If you say truce and apologize, I will refrain. Do I have your truce and apology for being a dick, Splits? Yes or no? Make your choice.

Splits
01-16-2015, 02:39 AM
Maybe but you can't deny how unwavering and persistent that fucker is. Takes some serious psychological damage to cause him to leave a site for an extended period of time. But I was able to inflict that on him and he's been scarred ever since. Would you like me to repeat that on you? My investment in the site is minimal so that gives me leverage on damaging those who pour a lot into such as yourself (someone who has admittedly offered to buy the site). Are you ready for that or do you choose truce? If you say truce and apologize, I will refrain. Do I have your truce and apology for being a dick, Splits? Yes or no? Make your choice.

Why the random bold? You mad? :lol

Malik Hairston
01-16-2015, 02:41 AM
Why are people still dicussing Kobe and the Lakers' on-court strategy, tbh?:lol

They're a circus show, they aren't trying to win games..you would have to be really naive to think otherwise..

When Kobe isn't shooting 25 times per game, they are one of the most unwatchable teams in the league, so hopefully he reverts to shooting a ton, much better for the product..

Calispursfan11
01-16-2015, 02:46 AM
Why the random bold? You mad? :lol

http://altairovejai.pagalba.com/karmelava/paminklai/rip.gif

Splits
01-16-2015, 02:52 AM
http://altairovejai.pagalba.com/karmelava/paminklai/rip.gif

Did you just off yourself? :cry :cry

please say it ain't so :cry

Splits
01-16-2015, 03:01 AM

unforeseen
01-16-2015, 03:16 AM
As long as Kirby doesn't ring

Raven
01-16-2015, 07:28 AM
no, he can't.

MultiTroll
01-16-2015, 09:56 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3156/2504692150_952a7c38ed_o.gif
sook who is this morsel?

100%duncan
01-16-2015, 09:57 AM
Why are people still dicussing Kobe and the Lakers' on-court strategy, tbh?:lol

They're a circus show, they aren't trying to win games..you would have to be really naive to think otherwise..

When Kobe isn't shooting 25 times per game, they are one of the most unwatchable teams in the league, so hopefully he reverts to shooting a ton, much better for the product..

Its actually fun when Lakers can take teams into the clutch. If he shoots alot hes shit if he passes hes not entertaining. Hurr durr

ambchang
01-16-2015, 10:18 AM
That's the thing that is so frustrating. The Lakers can be a better team if Kobe can get in line and start to contribute, but he has so far refused to do that.

But then again, he has been doing that for 19 years, so I guess I shouldn't have expected him to par down his chucking and actually think about the team first.

StrengthAndHonor
01-16-2015, 10:32 AM
The guy dropped 17 dimes and shot 50% on the field and they still lost to a team riding a 6 game losing streak. Some people just lack common sense.

MultiTroll
01-16-2015, 10:46 AM
Did Kirbs have 17 assists or was it the bullshit Faker scorekeeper stat padding half of them?

Splits
01-16-2015, 12:12 PM
sook who is this morsel?

Disgusting.

JamStone
01-16-2015, 12:35 PM
That's the thing that is so frustrating. The Lakers can be a better team if Kobe can get in line and start to contribute, but he has so far refused to do that.

But then again, he has been doing that for 19 years, so I guess I shouldn't have expected him to par down his chucking and actually think about the team first.

Criticisms on Kobe shooting too much and not getting his teammates involved enough consistently has some merit. But it's not really the main root of the Lakers losing problems. The Lakers are bottom 2-3 in the league in points allowed, opponents FG%, and opponents 3P%. As seen last night, even when the Lakers play well offensively, they still struggle to beat teams. Their team defense is preposterously horrific.

It's not that Kobe can't or shouldn't play more like he did last night, where he passed the ball when he was supposed to and take smarter and a reduced number of shot attempts. But he played well last night and they still lost to a team riding a long losing streak. You have to also look at where the other major problems are at. One of those major problems is quite clearly the defense.

ambchang
01-16-2015, 02:26 PM
Criticisms on Kobe shooting too much and not getting his teammates involved enough consistently has some merit. But it's not really the main root of the Lakers losing problems. The Lakers are bottom 2-3 in the league in points allowed, opponents FG%, and opponents 3P%. As seen last night, even when the Lakers play well offensively, they still struggle to beat teams. Their team defense is preposterously horrific.

It's not that Kobe can't or shouldn't play more like he did last night, where he passed the ball when he was supposed to and take smarter and a reduced number of shot attempts. But he played well last night and they still lost to a team riding a long losing streak. You have to also look at where the other major problems are at. One of those major problems is quite clearly the defense.

The Lakers play better on defense with Kobe off the floor as well. He just isn't trying, which is frustrating to watch.

MultiTroll
01-16-2015, 03:06 PM
Disgusting.
If you find her disgusting, why do you have her in your sig?

hater
01-16-2015, 03:55 PM
Kobe is averaging a league leading 9.6 TOs (per 36) in the 4th quarters this season. The next player is Hardon at 5 Tos

:lol

MultiTroll
01-16-2015, 04:38 PM
Their team defense is preposterously horrific.

Of which his defense is the worst on the Fakers.

As to his chucking O vs his stat padding assist show games, it does matter.
Where/when one shoots does affect when the teams transition D starts from if the other team gets the rebound and thus is on O.

Kirby leaves his teamates with terrible transition D placement along with himself oftentimes standing around pouting over the no call from one of his bricks. (like virtually every time he misses). This creates a 5 on 4 advantage for the other team. 3 on 2, 2 on 1, whatever.

The on floor stats clearly point out his suckage on chuck nites. Yet, on the games he has so obviously gone into *Magic* mode the Lakers are doing much much better. Won a few of those games, i think even over .500.

His upchuck games they are abysmal, like .150 winning %.

JamStone
01-16-2015, 04:53 PM
The Lakers play better on defense with Kobe off the floor as well. He just isn't trying, which is frustrating to watch.

Doesn't change my point. The fact that they go from horrible with Kobe to awful without him on defense doesn't mean defense isn't clearly a much bigger factor in their suckitude. And sure, Kobe is a big part of that. He's not the only part of it. Their team defense as a whole is god-awful. Let's not pretend that the Lakers all of a sudden turn into even an average defensive team without Kobe. They don't. They may be better. But better than awful doesn't mean good. The defense is a bigger problem than what Kobe does offensively, but the vast majority of comments about Kobe/Lakers is about Kobe's chucking on offense, not his defense, not the team's defense.

It was a poignant game last night demonstrating the bigger root of their losing ways, particularly late in the 3Q and into the 4Q. They couldn't get stops, even without Kobe. Late in the 3Q when Kobe got subbed out, the Lakers were up 1 point. When he returned midway through the 4Q, the Lakers were down 11. The Lakers got outscored in that roughly 9 minute stretch 22-10. You can't put that stretch of the game on Kobe since he was on the bench. And that stretch was really the difference in the game. I know it's just one stretch of one game, but it illustrates the point.

Kobe had a pretty unselfish and efficient night offensively and I believe the Lakers as a team shot 50% from the field and they still lost. The team defense more than anything has been by far the worst problem they've had this season.

FkLA
01-16-2015, 05:09 PM
Doesn't change my point. The fact that they go from horrible with Kobe to awful without him on defense doesn't mean defense isn't clearly a much bigger factor in their suckitude. And sure, Kobe is a big part of that. He's not the only part of it. Their team defense as a whole is god-awful. Let's not pretend that the Lakers all of a sudden turn into even an average defensive team without Kobe. They don't. They may be better. But better than awful doesn't mean good. The defense is a bigger problem than what Kobe does offensively, but the vast majority of comments about Kobe/Lakers is about Kobe's chucking on offense, not his defense, not the team's defense.

It was a poignant game last night demonstrating the bigger root of their losing ways, particularly late in the 3Q and into the 4Q. They couldn't get stops, even without Kobe. Late in the 3Q when Kobe got subbed out, the Lakers were up 1 point. When he returned midway through the 4Q, the Lakers were down 11. The Lakers got outscored in that roughly 9 minute stretch 22-10. You can't put that stretch of the game on Kobe since he was on the bench. And that stretch was really the difference in the game. I know it's just one stretch of one game, but it illustrates the point.

Kobe had a pretty unselfish and efficient night offensively and I believe the Lakers as a team shot 50% from the field and they still lost. The team defense more than anything has been by far the worst problem they've had this season.

You can't really deflect the blame to the defense when statistically he's the worst defender of the bunch though. That just doesn't make sense.

They're not a title contender regardless of his style of play but it's pretty clear that they're a better team when he does play the right way.

JamStone
01-16-2015, 05:12 PM
I didn't deflect any blame. Kobe's defense is part of the problem on defense.

My point is that DEFENSE in general is a huge problem with the Lakers, but most people talk about Kobe's offense. That's it. There's no deflection.

FkLA
01-16-2015, 05:25 PM
The criticism has been aimed at his approach to the game though, not at his inability to make the Lakers a title contender. I think it's widely accepted that the ceiling of that roster isn't very high. But bad roster or not his approach this season has been a disgrace to the game...he's sabotaged his team's ability to reach whatever low ceiling they did have.

Wildcat67
01-16-2015, 06:09 PM
The Cavs defense was god awful. Most of his assist he just walked down to the top of the key, made a simple pass to a wide open teammate and his teammate hit a jumper. More then half of his assists he didn't even break the defense down, he just made one simple pass.

ambchang
01-16-2015, 11:24 PM

And yet kobe was the worst of their defensive issues. You know why I know? Because it's apparent and has been talked non stop around here.

People talk about his chucking because it's hilarious, but people also talk about his absolutely awful defense.

Malik Hairston
01-16-2015, 11:33 PM
:lol man, you guys gotta stop analyzing the Lakers' on-court performance..they're a team that is built to tank..

Kobe is having a historically bad season, but even if you removed him, these Lakers wouldn't be any better than the 3rd worst team in the West..shit, even removing Kobe, they still have 2 of the worst players in the NBA handling the offense(Young and Lin) and the worst coach in the NBA..

sook
01-17-2015, 01:43 PM
sook who is this morsel?

Jaime Koeppe/

Strange Love BrHornet

lefty
01-17-2015, 02:55 PM

I 100% agree TBH