PDA

View Full Version : National Shrine of the Infant Jesus - any Catholics please explain...

cantthinkofanything
01-19-2015, 11:11 AM
Was on a road trip and coming back through Oklahoma with my kid and decided to stop to see wtf was the "National Shrine of the Infant Jesus".

I still have no clue to what this is about. Very bizarre.

Do any of you Catholics have any explanation?

The Infant Jesus of Prague has found a home in our hearts and in our little town of Prague, Oklahoma. Since He arrived over sixty five years ago, His miracles and favors have shown that He is a powerful presence among us. Many pilgrims visit the Shrine every day to ask the Little Infant for His help and to thank Him for favors He has granted. This web page is intended to be a tool for evangelization. May this website welcome you to visit us through the internet. We also invite you to visit us in person - you're welcome will be just as rewarding. Please send us your prayer request, light a candle for your intention, or request a Mass. All these options are available on our website. We love praying for you and your loved ones here at the Shrine. May the Infant Jesus be at your side throughout your life's journey.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-h4FYlK4sdkM/UDedYX9aPvI/AAAAAAAAAPg/HCNN6PSeM0g/s1600/infantJesusofprague.JPG

http://shrineofinfantjesus.com/files/u4/shrine2.jpg

mrsmaalox
01-19-2015, 12:52 PM
That website you searched for and quoted seems to explain it pretty well.

cantthinkofanything
01-19-2015, 01:08 PM
That website you searched for and quoted seems to explain it pretty well.

Honestly, I don't get it. And I'm certainly not anti-religion or anything. I seriously do not understand a statue of an little Jesus dressed like a king that somehow ends up in Prague, Oklahoma and that people come to and pray to and leave valuable jewelry and things at its feet. The gift shop was filled with all kinds of statues of this. It was a little creepy.

Here's the playground which is guarded by...Infant Jesus
http://shrineofinfantjesus.com/files/u4/PG_2013_13_0.jpg

I really really don't get this one. It seems like voodoo shit.

Had you heard of this particular thing before?

hater
01-19-2015, 01:19 PM
Dear Lord baby Jesus, lyin' there in your ghost manger, just lookin' at your Baby Einstein developmental videos, learnin' 'bout shapes and colors. I would like to thank you for bringin' me and my mama together, and also that my kids no longer sound like retarded gang-bangers.

hater
01-19-2015, 01:20 PM
Dear 8 pounds 6 ounces... new born infant jesus,don't even know a word yet.

hater
01-19-2015, 01:22 PM
btw the baby jesus or en nińo jesus are very powerful

the Phenomenon of El Nino is got that name for a reason. He giveth he taketh away with his little baby hands

cantthinkofanything
01-19-2015, 01:23 PM
dO0QGJ9y6qY

SnakeBoy
01-19-2015, 08:25 PM
I really really don't get this one. It seems like voodoo shit.

Had you heard of this particular thing before?

You could just use wiki

The Infant Jesus of Prague (Czech: Pražské Jezulátko; Spanish: Nińo Jesús de la Praga) is a 16th-century Roman Catholic wax-coated wooden statue of child Jesus holding a globus cruciger, located in the Carmelite Church of Our Lady Victorious in Malá Strana, Prague, Czech Republic. Pious legends state that the statue once belonged to Saint Teresa of Avila and allegedly holds miraculous powers, especially among expectant mothers.

Religious artifacts, both fake and genuine, were all the rage in the 15th & 16th century as a means to get pilgrims to travel to a particular church and make donations. Catholicism is built on Holy tradition so once something takes it is part of the religion forever.

cantthinkofanything
01-20-2015, 09:24 AM
You could just use wiki

I did. But my question was directly to Maalox or any other Catholics if they'd heard of this Infant Jesus Shrine or not.

I went to a Catholic school for middle and high school but never came across anything like this. Just wondering if this is part of Catholic mainstream consciousness or more off the beaten path.

Das Texan
01-20-2015, 09:26 AM
The Infant of Prague to the Polish is like Our Lady of Guadalupe to the Mexicans

cantthinkofanything
01-20-2015, 09:38 AM
The Infant of Prague to the Polish is like Our Lady of Guadalupe to the Mexicans

Thanks.

Doesn't this go against the commandment of not worshiping idols? IDK...it seems so much importance is placed on these shrines and the image that it contradicts having only one God.

leemajors
01-20-2015, 09:43 AM
Thanks.

Doesn't this go against the commandment of not worshiping idols? IDK...it seems so much importance is placed on these shrines and the image that it contradicts having only one God.

Catholics would state the idols help them focus their prayers, they are not praying to the idol itself. At least that is what priests told me in CCD. Still fairly fetishy.

cantthinkofanything
01-20-2015, 09:50 AM
Catholics would state the idols help them focus their prayers, they are not praying to the idol itself. At least that is what priests told me in CCD. Still fairly fetishy.

hmm. I guess that makes sense as a possible explanation. But leaving personal effects at a statue seems to cross over into superstition IMO. I'm not anti Catholic or anything but seeing a statue with rings and rosaries and stuff hanging off it reminded me of...

bWdfDsLvm9I

Darth_Pelican
01-20-2015, 09:58 AM
Since when is Jesus a milky white Caucasian? lol Oklahoma

hater
01-20-2015, 10:01 AM
Since when is Jesus a milky white Caucasian?

since the renaissance at least. Don't forget blond curly hair.

Das Texan
01-20-2015, 02:48 PM
Thanks.

you arent worshiping the idol.

its a reminder and helps center prayer, similar to what leemajors said.

Shrines, especially where Jesus appeared or Mary are places of great holiness, places some say Jesus listens to your prayers more there or something to the effect.

You arent praying directly to the statue or the image or whatever (or at least you arent supposed to and its not Catholic teaching); its similar to when you goto Mary for prayer. You arent praying to her, you are going to her for intercessions, aka telling Jesus' mama to tell him to help you in whatever you are praying for.

cantthinkofanything
01-20-2015, 03:01 PM
you arent worshiping the idol.

its a reminder and helps center prayer, similar to what leemajors said.

Shrines, especially where Jesus appeared or Mary are places of great holiness, places some say Jesus listens to your prayers more there or something to the effect.

You arent praying directly to the statue or the image or whatever (or at least you arent supposed to and its not Catholic teaching); its similar to when you goto Mary for prayer. You arent praying to her, you are going to her for intercessions, aka telling Jesus' mama to tell him to help you in whatever you are praying for.

Shouldn't all prayers be directed just to God? There are several recommended prayers on the Shrine to Infant Jesus website with the prayers directed to the Infant Jesus.

Divine Infant Jesus, I know you love me and would never leave me. I thank you for your close presence in my life. Miraculous Infant, I believe in your promise of peace, blessings, and freedom from want. I place every need and care in your hands. Lord Jesus, may I always trust in your generous mercy and love. I want to honor and praise you, now and forever. Amen.

Also, what about the people that leave their personal stuff hanging on the statue or laying at the shrine? what is the purpose of that?

Das Texan
01-20-2015, 03:16 PM
Well Jesus is God according to not only Catholic teaching but most Christian teaching.

My guess is people leave stuff behind because they think it will influence their prayer or something. I'm not exactly sure the position the Church itself takes on that, I assume they either say nothing or say its a personal preference and what not.

cantthinkofanything
01-20-2015, 03:24 PM
Well Jesus is God according to not only Catholic teaching but most Christian teaching.

My guess is people leave stuff behind because they think it will influence their prayer or something. I'm not exactly sure the position the Church itself takes on that, I assume they either say nothing or say its a personal preference and what not.

I think I get that. And I'm not sure I would agree with the premise. But it seems even more removed from God to not only pray to Jesus, but to pray to the Infant Jesus. Further removed, praying to a statue of the Infant Jesus.

There was a book I struggled through a while ago called, "Simulacra and Simulation" that talked about this. I only picked up the book because it was in the Matrix. LOL. That being said, it was interesting in that it dealt with the above and other situations of a copy of a copy of a copy and what was real anymore.

But anyway, thanks for your thoughts.

SnakeBoy
01-20-2015, 04:04 PM
I think I get that. And I'm not sure I would agree with the premise. But it seems even more removed from God to not only pray to Jesus, but to pray to the Infant Jesus. Further removed, praying to a statue of the Infant Jesus.

Do you not understand the concept of the Trinity?

Praying to the statue would be a no no but as others explained they are not (supposed to) pray to the statue.

SnakeBoy
01-20-2015, 04:07 PM
That being said, it was interesting in that it dealt with the above and other situations of a copy of a copy of a copy and what was real anymore.

I guess Trent Reznor thought it was interesting too.

cantthinkofanything
01-20-2015, 04:12 PM
Do you not understand the concept of the Trinity?

Praying to the statue would be a no no but as others explained they are not (supposed to) pray to the statue.

Yes, I get the concept of the Trinity. Do I get the concept of someone immaculately conceived, being the son of God, and dying for the world's sins? No, I don't get that one.
And I respectfully say that I don't understand praying to an infant version of this.

cantthinkofanything
01-20-2015, 04:15 PM
I guess Trent Reznor thought it was interesting too.

what? Google...nope..

I don't get this

cantthinkofanything
01-20-2015, 04:17 PM
the only thing I can find is a song, "Simulacra" by Meat Bone Manifesto from the album Subliminal Sandwich from Reznor's Nothing Records.

SnakeBoy
01-20-2015, 05:41 PM
I don't get this

It was just an of the cuff comment, nothing to put much thought into

I a copy of a copy of a copy and what was real anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcHv15Nan-I

SnakeBoy
01-20-2015, 05:44 PM
Yes, I get the concept of the Trinity. Do I get the concept of someone immaculately conceived, being the son of God, and dying for the world's sins? No, I don't get that one.
And I respectfully say that I don't understand praying to an infant version of this.

Well if you don't "get" Christianity then you shouldn't even try to "get" the Infant Jesus of Prague, it's not going to happen.

cantthinkofanything
01-20-2015, 09:38 PM
Well if you don't "get" Christianity then you shouldn't even try to "get" the Infant Jesus of Prague, it's not going to happen.You sound offended. Sorry, I was just curious.

The Reckoning
01-20-2015, 09:51 PM

tbh I'm confirmed and they always say you pray to the idols so they'll relay your thoughts to the big man upstairs since they have a closer relationship with him tbh

leemajors
01-20-2015, 09:58 PM
tbh I'm confirmed and they always say you pray to the idols so they'll relay your thoughts to the big man upstairs since they have a closer relationship with him tbh

I was confirmed too, priests vary wildly in what they emphasize tbh imo

The Reckoning
01-20-2015, 10:32 PM
I was confirmed too, priests vary wildly in what they emphasize tbh imo

true tbh but i was confirmed by an abbot, not a bishop. i wonder what that means tbh...

cantthinkofanything
01-20-2015, 10:34 PM
true tbh but i was confirmed by an abbot, not a bishop. i wonder what that means tbh...IDK but it has to better than being confirmed by a costello.

SnakeBoy
01-20-2015, 10:49 PM
You sound offended. Sorry, I was just curious.

Not at all offended but if you can't understand the most basic beliefs of a religion then you probably aren't going to be able to grasp the nuances of a particular sect of that religion...just sayin.

cantthinkofanything
01-21-2015, 12:08 AM
Not at all offended but if you can't understand the most basic beliefs of a religion then you probably aren't going to be able to grasp the nuances of a particular sect of that religion...just sayin.

Fair enough