PDA

View Full Version : Shaq Contributes $500,000 To Katrina Victims

Nbadan
09-01-2005, 03:38 PM
LSU is his alma mata and he went to Baton Rouge to distribute personally food and water to disaster victims...

What's up Spur fans? One man contributes half as much as the whole NBA. What's up with that? Where's big Dave? Timmy?

Spurminator
09-01-2005, 03:44 PM
I'm pretty sure their contributions to their respective hometowns are well documented.

Try this website to learn more: http://www.google.com

P.S. Shaq has been a real hero this week. Many props to him.

MaNuMaNiAc
09-01-2005, 04:26 PM
Props to Shaq. I admit I had him pegged wrong

clubalien
09-01-2005, 04:29 PM
shaq has always been a nice guy

Big Pimp_21
09-01-2005, 04:31 PM
Shaq is a good guy in general, nobody can deny that. He just cheats at basketball and gives himself stupid nicknames almost as much a Puff Daddy or P. Diddy or Puffy or Diddy, or whoever the hell he is this week!

samikeyp
09-01-2005, 04:34 PM
What's up Spur fans? One man contributes half as much as the whole NBA. What's up with that? Where's big Dave? Timmy?

You are assuming they have not contributed when in fact, we don't know.

Vashner
09-01-2005, 04:42 PM
That's low to imply Spurs don't donate. How much did you donate ass wipe?

I bet not as much as the Spurs. Dave and Timmy both have foundations...

Medvedenko
09-01-2005, 06:18 PM
Yes good for Shaq.....that's a lot of dough....
That's like me donating around 2k if I was to look at yearly salaries. It's basically 2.5% of his yearly salary (20million)

spurschick
09-01-2005, 06:32 PM
Some celebrities want everyone to know when they've donated money, others do it on the QT - they know it's not about them.

Clandestino
09-01-2005, 06:34 PM
shaq always donates tons of money. i'm suprised it wasn't 1 million.

and yes, how much have you given nbadan? and to who?

LittleGeneral
09-02-2005, 01:09 AM
Shaq is a class act.

jochhejaam
09-02-2005, 06:12 AM
LSU is his alma mata and he went to Baton Rouge to distribute personally food and water to disaster victims...

That was a generous gift from Shaq but a lot of people like to give anonymously dan, their satisfaction comes from knowing they've helped people out.

Matthew 6

1 "Be careful not to do your 'acts of righteousness' before men, to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.

2 "So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full.

3-4 But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

boutons
09-02-2005, 06:43 AM
http://www.networkforgood.org/donate/calculator/?source=GOOG&cmpgn=CALC

$500K / $20M = 2.5%

... but the average household gift/donation/charitable contribution is 3.2%.

Shaq is a grandstanding cheapskate.

Big Pimp_21
09-02-2005, 08:21 AM
I wouldn't say he's a cheapskate, b/c he is doing something...and that deserves some credit. BUT it seems to me that every time Shaq does something charitable, it gets publicity like he's some sort of fat mother Teresa. I guess his agent or publicist knows when to "leak" out what Shaq does. I think he looks for praise almost as much as he looks to help people.

clubalien
09-02-2005, 05:19 PM
keep in mind shaq domnainte to OTHER charities so while he only domianted 500k HERE it isn't his TOTAL amoutn tht he domantes

MiNuS
09-02-2005, 05:36 PM
I don't like NBA Shaq but I respect Shaq the person very much.

LittleGeneral
09-02-2005, 06:31 PM

$500K / $20M = 2.5%

Uh, that 3.2% measures the total annual percentage of the households that gave. It isn't figuring in the 11% of the households which did not give anything.

Shaq's contribution of $500k is simply one gift, not his total for the year.

Worst Post of the Year.

Guru of Nothing
09-02-2005, 08:40 PM

$500K / $20M = 2.5%

Boutons, I kick your ass when it comes to sheer quantity of dumb-ass posts.

I have faith you can complete my thought without further assistance.

boutons
09-02-2005, 08:43 PM
It's September. Add up all the Shaq press releases about his donations so far this year and see if he's up to 3.2%.

11% that don't give anything are offset by rich households (Shaq @ $20M/year qualifies) that give a hell of a lot more that 3.2%. Shaq's $500K remains unimpressive except to his self-adoring self.

If Shaq wants to impress other than the gullible choir and pea-brains like Little General, let's see 10+%, to give MORE than the tax-deductible limit. In fact, any tax-deductible giving is totally a wash, totally painless, since the money would have gone to IRS anyway. yep, let's see some after-tax donations, out of his take-home pay/his pocket, not out of the IRS's pocket.

spurster
09-02-2005, 10:12 PM
Thank you, Shaq.

I think it is good to publicize this because this will result in many others to donate.

hussker
09-05-2005, 12:15 PM
I am sure Shaq is very proud of his humility right now...

Spurminator
09-05-2005, 12:18 PM
I've never understood the inclination to depreciate other people's donations.

hussker
09-05-2005, 12:21 PM

I think it makes others feel better about themselves...lies, damn lies, statistics.

Dre_7
09-05-2005, 02:28 PM
No one knows whether or not David or Tim hasnt given any. But if they did, we wouldnt know. They are the types that would not anounce it to the world. So you cant say that they have or havent given any.

Kori Ellis
09-05-2005, 02:29 PM
Thank you, Shaq.

I think it is good to publicize this because this will result in many others to donate.

Exactly.

SpursWoman
09-05-2005, 02:30 PM

Me, either.

Good for Shaq...that was an awesome thing to do. That's a lot of money, as he didn't have to do a damn thing.