PDA

View Full Version : 2015 RAPM numbers

Johnny RIngo
01-20-2015, 11:48 PM
Multiyear(prior informed) RPM and RAPM for the 2015 season were just posted recently.

2015 RPM

http://stats-for-the-nba.appspot.com/ratings/longterm_RPM_2015.html

Leonard is 4th in the entire league.
Duncan is 17th.
Manu is 20th.

Pretty obvious that TD, Ginobili, and Kawhi are the big three for the team. Looked that way last year too. In case you're wondering where Enrique is, you gotta scroll down quite a bit to find him. I took all the Spurs players and put them in one list for easy viewing:

http://s5.postimg.org/q0bswypw7/2015_PI_RPM.png

And here's the RAPM numbers.

2015 RAPM

http://stats-for-the-nba.appspot.com/ratings/RAPM_2015.html

Again, I took all the Spurs players and put them in one list to make it easier for those that don't want to search through the entire list:

http://s5.postimg.org/ci4wkodqv/2015_PI_RAPM.png

apalisoc_9
01-20-2015, 11:50 PM
Where's parker?

Johnny RIngo
01-20-2015, 11:51 PM
Where's parker?

Bottom of the list alongside Cancereli it seems

apalisoc_9
01-20-2015, 11:53 PM
Bottom of the list alongside Cancereli it seems

Oh..I thought you just missed him on that list..:lol

I usually don't bother looking at the bottom and seeing ayres names there and the rest of the scrubs. :lol

Brunodf
01-20-2015, 11:53 PM
http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~cas7/gifs/boom.gif

FkLA
01-20-2015, 11:55 PM
:cry but Enrique hit some really clutch jumpers when the Spurs were only up by double digits :cry

ChumpDumper
01-20-2015, 11:56 PM
Another try hard thread.

lol

ducks
01-21-2015, 12:01 AM
Spurs were up 8 when he hit the three
Oh he is only shorting 56 from downtown

ElNono
01-21-2015, 12:02 AM
TP is working himself back into shape... good think there's still another half a season ahead of us.

Johnny RIngo
01-21-2015, 12:49 AM
Oh..I thought you just missed him on that list..:lol

I usually don't bother looking at the bottom and seeing ayres names there and the rest of the scrubs. :lol

Pretty shocking that his overall impact is worse than 2014-2015 Kobe Bryant. Parker should be extremely fortunate that he's played his entire career in San Antonio. He wouldn't have had a Hall of Fame career on another team.

timtonymanu
01-21-2015, 12:51 AM
:lol Pendergraph

:lol Cancerneli also

Sean Cagney
01-21-2015, 12:58 AM
TP is working himself back into shape... good think there's still another half a season ahead of us.

Yep, very true.

Johnny RIngo
01-21-2015, 05:47 AM

At this point, I'd rather have TP make a concerted effort on defense instead of saving his energy for his mostly useless offense. Blocked layups and bricked jumpers aren't going to help the team all that much. An improvement on defense would allow for more diverse lineups. At the moment, we can't even play Tony and Marco together due to the ultra shitty defense they both play. This Spurs team can afford to have one bad defender in their lineup but two pretty much ruins the entire defensive gameplan.

Diego20
01-21-2015, 06:32 AM
Multiyear(prior informed) RAPM for the 2015 season was just posted recently. Here's the link:

http://stats-for-the-nba.appspot.com/ratings/RAPM_2015.html

Leonard is 4th in the entire league.
Duncan is 17th.
Manu is 20th.

Pretty obvious that TD, Ginobili, and Kawhi are the big three for the team. Looked that way last year too. In case you're wondering where Enrique is, you gotta scroll down quite a bit to find him. I took all the Spurs players and put them in one list for easy viewing:

http://s5.postimg.org/qzxiexfo7/2015_PI_RAPM.png

:cry but Enrique is shooting very well from 3P (small size) :cry

too bad hater, TGY and others Enrique fan boys won't see this thread :cry

they would keep calling him MVParker because hey, his surname starts with a P :lol

Spursfanfromafar
01-21-2015, 06:47 AM
Numbers don't lie. Parker has been poor this season and barely adequate late last season as well.

That said, all of this is just a function of bad health and brittle injuries. Once Parker is whole again, he will return atleast close to levels that he reached only about a year and a half ago, when he was clearly the third best player in the league behind James & Durant. Parker basically carried the Spurs from 2011-13.

Beaverfuzz
01-21-2015, 09:29 AM
No way, Daye is ahead of Enrique? :lol

Floyd Pacquiao
01-21-2015, 09:35 AM
Ugh, its tough seeing tp play like this. Hurts even more that his name is lumped in with the likes of belinelli and daye.

Johnny RIngo
01-21-2015, 09:38 AM
Ugh, its tough seeing tp play like this. Hurts even more that his name is lumped in with the likes of belinelli and daye.

Well one thing we can all agree on is that Marco is a god awful player. Dude comes out terrible in just about every metric. Useless piece of shit he is.

in2deep
01-21-2015, 09:40 AM
sure an injured parker sucks. what a discovery

Perry Mason
01-21-2015, 10:13 AM
Right. Adjusted on/off numbers are meaningless for injured players working their way back. I also expect most posters relying on these ridiculous Bayesian concoctions do not understand the myriad shortcomings with these numbers. I expect TP to have terrible 2015 season numbers thus far. He came back too early from injury and played half-speed in many others.

If I had the time, which I do not, I could provide horrible RAPM numbers for great players during a period in which they struggled with injuries. I could also provide RAPM's that are very high for players most would recognize as middling or only decent. For example, RAPM can overrate glue guys that put a good lineup over the top. This is because no matter what RAPM will always be calculated using data for a player in a lineup and against specific matchups. It is inescapable and "correcting" for it only happens if there was mixing and matching of a player in different lineups to improve the data (which does not apply for most teams, Spurs excepted more than anything), and then by extrapolating.

Globally, RAPM is somewhat meaningful, but on the same global basis, it isn't that much different in insight (and will have a similar number of misfires) from using raw stats + human judgment, which may over-rate inefficient players and poor defenders, or PER which overrates offense.

RAPM is often called the most accurate predictive single stat. But this is damning praise given the absence of any really comparable stat.

Perry Mason
01-21-2015, 10:21 AM
Tony is ranked 12th in RAPM for the 2014 season by the same number cruncher. That overrates him and is actually better than his 2013 season RAPM. Perfect example where the number fails.

Leonard is way down the 2014 list, and the only Spur higher than TP is Manu.

http://stats-for-the-nba.appspot.com/ratings/2014.html

Brazil
01-21-2015, 10:33 AM
Tony is ranked 12th in RAPM for the 2014 season by the same number cruncher. That overrates him and is actually better than his 2013 season RAPM. Perfect example where the number fails.

:cry dat Parker better than Kevin Durant :cry dat Manu number 6 :cry

Mel_13
01-21-2015, 10:43 AM
Right. Adjusted on/off numbers are meaningless for injured players working their way back. I also expect most posters relying on these ridiculous Bayesian concoctions do not understand the myriad shortcomings with these numbers. I expect TP to have terrible 2015 season numbers thus far. He came back too early from injury and played half-speed in many others.

If I had the time, which I do not, I could provide horrible RAPM numbers for great players during a period in which they struggled with injuries. I could also provide RAPM's that are very high for players most would recognize as middling or only decent. For example, RAPM can overrate glue guys that put a good lineup over the top. This is because no matter what RAPM will always be calculated using data for a player in a lineup and against specific matchups. It is inescapable and "correcting" for it only happens if there was mixing and matching of a player in different lineups to improve the data (which does not apply for most teams, Spurs excepted more than anything), and then by extrapolating.

Globally, RAPM is somewhat meaningful, but on the same global basis, it isn't that much different in insight (and will have a similar number of misfires) from using raw stats + human judgment, which may over-rate inefficient players and poor defenders, or PER which overrates offense.

RAPM is often called the most accurate predictive single stat. But this is damning praise given the absence of any really comparable stat.

The defense rests.

hater
01-21-2015, 10:49 AM
ouch

Brazil
01-21-2015, 10:56 AM
I wish Jonhy Dingo could make us a wrap up just for Spurs players on 2014 numbers tbh... he is more talented than I am to format those things

KL2
01-21-2015, 10:58 AM

Either way Parker is heavily overrated. He does not play defense, he is a liability this season. Furthermore the Spurs' offense is tailored towards getting Parker going, so of course when they're standing around, and he's dribbling the ball 14 secs into the shot clock, what do you think is going to happen?

Parker is also surrounded by a heavily talented offense, that he's failed to bring out the true potential of such as Diaw/Ginobili who carried the offense for a large stretch of the playoffs last year.

Parker has been one of the worst defenders the past 2 years, they've always hid him on somebody in the playoffs or RS with Green/Leonard guarding his man, which is even more concerning.

The offense is no longer set up for him, and thus his game is suffering, as he is also declining. He is a system player.

ElNono
01-21-2015, 10:59 AM
At this point, I'd rather have TP make a concerted effort on defense instead of saving his energy for his mostly useless offense. Blocked layups and bricked jumpers aren't going to help the team all that much. An improvement on defense would allow for more diverse lineups. At the moment, we can't even play Tony and Marco together due to the ultra shitty defense they both play. This Spurs team can afford to have one bad defender in their lineup but two pretty much ruins the entire defensive gameplan.

Pop is aware of this, IMO, thus pretty much benching Marco last playoffs. The Spurs still need anything Tony can give us on offense, so he'll continue trying to hide him on defense, which is perfectly ok, since he can get away with that against almost every team.

hater
01-21-2015, 10:59 AM
Parker's D has been great lately tbh

He held Ty Lawson to 4 pts last nite. On the other hand Kawhi got a load dropped on him of 21 from aron affalo :lol

Pauleta14
01-21-2015, 11:25 AM

:wow

Thanks for that link, it illustrates again, for those who STILL needs it, that stats are just tools, small % of the analysis, not a "conclusion" by themselves...

And AGAIN (for the op and other haters) what a great value it is to the forum to illustrates day after day that an injured player is not as productive on the floor as he should be! :lol

Diego20
01-21-2015, 11:26 AM
:lmao too many parkertards crying in here..

"stats don't matter" that's what Enrique fans think :lol

Pauleta14
01-21-2015, 11:48 AM

I'm sure you know how to read properly, try again... ;)

Mr Bones
01-21-2015, 11:58 AM
So do you want to go on record saying Aryes is a better basketball player than Parker right now?

If the Spurs waived Parker a la Josh Smith would they be a better team?

And the best question: Do you honestly think you've noticed anything about Parker that Pop hasn't?

unleashbaynes
01-21-2015, 12:00 PM
parker plays better with each game. it's nice to see that he isn't donezo.

Pauleta14
01-21-2015, 01:02 PM
So do you want to go on record saying Aryes is a better basketball player than Parker right now?

If the Spurs waived Parker a la Josh Smith would they be a better team?

And the best question: Do you honestly think you've noticed anything about Parker that Pop hasn't?

I already tried, they don't like those questions... :lol

Mr Bones
01-21-2015, 01:18 PM
I already tried, they don't like those questions... :lol

Yeah, it's funny... everyone wants to talk stats until you poke a hole in them, then they switch arguments. One minute, ORtg is important, but the next minute it doesn't matter at all, and +/- is more important. Then when you point out Bonner's history of +/- success, it's something else...

Mr Bones
01-21-2015, 01:26 PM
Look at the whole chart:

http://stats-for-the-nba.appspot.com/ratings/longterm_RPM_2015.html

Andre Iguodala is higher than Anthony Davis, Ty Lawson is higher than Klay Thompson, Channing Frye is above Marc Gasol...

Anyone here agree with those "facts?"

Mr Bones
01-21-2015, 01:48 PM
Why didn't you show this chart?? http://stats-for-the-nba.appspot.com/ratings/2014.html

Answer: It shows stats that go against your argument.

Drom John
01-21-2015, 02:15 PM
Why didn't you show this chart?? http://stats-for-the-nba.appspot.com/ratings/2014.html

Answer: It shows stats that go against your argument.

Wrong year.

Brazil
01-21-2015, 03:50 PM

I'm sure parkertards are ok with those stats who put Parker number 12 in the league in 2014 tbh... eventhough I thought Parker sucked badly in 2014.

On a side note I'd like to thank OP. I am on the record to have said last year was an ok year even if far from to 12-13 and Parker sucked so far this year... Dat RAPM thread put numbers on it :tu

Now I could not have imagined Parker was top 15 player last year neither Manu was top 10 while Kawhi was top 100

:lol

Mr Bones
01-21-2015, 03:51 PM
Wrong year.Yeah, but the Parker haters say he was no good last year either.

But back to this year: Do you think Iguodala is better than Anthony Davis and Marc Gasol?

Does anyone?