PDA

View Full Version : Larry Sanders to be Bought Out...Would the Spurs touch this talented/flawed player?

cd98
01-21-2015, 01:53 PM
Larry Sanders looks like he will be bought out. Certainly a player with great potential, but after 4 drug violations (by NBA), he's starting to look like Roy Tarpley, but not as good. Doubt the Spurs make a move given he is one of those question mark guys and the Spurs prioritize character. But we did once sign Lloyd Daniels. http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/236342/Larry-Sanders-Bucks-Expected-To-Eventually-Discuss-Buyout

Mel_13
01-21-2015, 01:54 PM
Not a chance.

Dex
01-21-2015, 01:55 PM
Isn't this the guy that said he didn't want to be in the NBA anymore?

Chinook
01-21-2015, 01:55 PM
Maybe next season if he looks to be on the right path. I liked (not loved) his play when he was good, but now, it's not worth it.

:lmao to those who thought Sanders' deal was better than Splitter's.

Mel_13
01-21-2015, 02:00 PM
Maybe next season if he looks to be on the right path. I liked (not loved) his play when he was good, but now, it's not worth it.

:lol

We think alike. It would be fun to bump some of those posts.

Mugen
01-21-2015, 02:03 PM
8 frontcourt guys on the roster sounds about right tbh.

Robz4000
01-21-2015, 02:04 PM
If it's for the minimum, why not?

Mel_13
01-21-2015, 02:06 PM
btw, there are still 3 years at 11M per year remaining on that deal. Even if he agrees to take 50%, that still buys a whole lot of weed and this guy isn't going to stop smoking.

Seventyniner
01-21-2015, 02:44 PM
btw, there are still 3 years at 11M per year remaining on that deal. Even if he agrees to take 50%, that still buys a whole lot of weed and this guy isn't going to stop smoking.

1) Take a 30% cut on the buyout
2) Move to Colorado
3) ???
4) Chillax...

Mel_13
01-21-2015, 02:46 PM
1) Take a 30% cut on the buyout
2) Move to Colorado
3) ???
4) Chillax...

Just saw that Tyrus Thomas will sign with the Grizz. Got himself back in shape just as those amnesty checks were about to run out. Good luck to anyone getting anything useful out of Sanders while that free money is rolling in.

Mr Bones
01-21-2015, 02:46 PM
In 10 years, testing positive for pot probably won't even be an issue in the NBA ...

Still, I can't see the Spurs being interested.

DJR210
01-21-2015, 02:49 PM
We need 2 more centers..pass.

look_at_g_shred
01-21-2015, 03:54 PM
No. We have green now!

ginobilized
01-21-2015, 04:20 PM
As a Toros project, hel yeah!!

BatManu20
01-21-2015, 04:25 PM
This is the guy who wants to quit playing basketball and has a weed issue...

Yea, I'm sure the Spurs are on the phone with him as we speak :lol

wildbill2u
01-21-2015, 04:42 PM
[QUOTE=cd98;7792842 But we did once sign Lloyd Daniels.QUOTE]

Yeah, but that was back in the day when we hired a coach from Las Vegas (Jerry Tarkanian) who was noted for recruiting/ working with some pretty strange characters. Tark had to leave UNLV under a cloud after Daniels was caught buying coke. He brought the cloud with him to SA along with Daniels. Tark was fired 20 games into the season and Daniels never was able make a place for himself in the NBA.

Ice009
01-21-2015, 08:53 PM
Was Lloyd Daniels any good? Wasn't he a street basketball legend or something? I thought I read that somewhere back in the day, not sure if it was correct.

100%duncan
01-21-2015, 09:01 PM
He's a fuckin drug addict

exstatic
01-21-2015, 09:12 PM
Was Lloyd Daniels any good? Wasn't he a street basketball legend or something? I thought I read that somewhere back in the day, not sure if it was correct.

A street legend, an NBA failure.

pgardn
01-21-2015, 09:36 PM
A street legend, an NBA failure.

There are many. All those AnD ONE, Rucker Park guys that can't play with actual rules, get tryouts and are failures.

And if Sanders did happen to wander in we would need a separate locker room.

ElNono
01-21-2015, 09:38 PM
Dude just has a lot of joint pain, tbh

superbigtime
01-21-2015, 10:04 PM
Dude sounds like a rocket or clipper to me.

wildcardX
01-21-2015, 10:37 PM
Was Larry Sanders the guy Gary Neal got into a beef with, told him to earn his money and quit slacking? Something along those lines.

exstatic
01-21-2015, 10:46 PM
Was Larry Sanders the guy Gary Neal got into a beef with, told him to earn his money and quit slacking? Something along those lines.

Yes.

cd98
01-21-2015, 11:47 PM
Lloyd Daniels was not a good player, but he could score. He scored 20+ points several times in the NBA for various teams. I can't remember how tall he was, but he played point guard. He was like 6'8 and could handle and shoot in the post. But he was also slow and couldn't defend. If he wasn't a crack addict and he dedicated time to his game, he could've been a less athletic Boris Diaw kind of player. He was not as good as Diaw, but he had similar skills.

01-22-2015, 01:12 AM
:lol it's just pot. It will eventually be legal in all of the U.S. and people will be scratching their heads wondering why it was ever illegal in the first place.

Sanders can still turn his career around. He was a DPOY contender just a few years ago... If he's bought out, he'll most likely sign for a near minimum contract on a contender. Spurs could use some shot blocking when Duncan isn't on the floor. This would also mean Ayres is another step closer in getting waived.

ohmwrecker
01-22-2015, 02:13 AM
He's a fuckin drug addict

Sean Cagney
01-22-2015, 03:22 AM
No and NO, and they won't go after him anyways so again NO.

mkurts
01-22-2015, 03:28 AM
Fuck no. The guy is lazy as hell like Bynum.

He is an unreformable piece of trash

cd021
01-22-2015, 03:29 AM

Baam

good times :lol

100%duncan
01-22-2015, 03:45 AM
:lol it's just pot. It will eventually be legal in all of the U.S. and people will be scratching their heads wondering why it was ever illegal in the first place.

Sanders can still turn his career around. He was a DPOY contender just a few years ago... If he's bought out, he'll most likely sign for a near minimum contract on a contender. Spurs could use some shot blocking when Duncan isn't on the floor. This would also mean Ayres is another step closer in getting waived.

Yeah sure let's accept professional athletes paid millions being drug addicts. Fuck yes. Sure love American sport

spursparker9
01-22-2015, 04:15 AM
I rather sign Greg Oden tbh

Raven
01-22-2015, 04:19 AM
he'd be a great post duncan fit, but uh pass.

Mal
01-22-2015, 05:41 AM
This thread :lmao Guy just walked away for guaranteed 44 mil $. :lmao

elemento
01-22-2015, 06:08 AM
Owners should really use this guy as an example in the next CBA talks.

A guy gets a 44m contract and wants a buyout in the first year of it because he wants to use marijuana WTF. Seriously, it's pathetic. His contract should be voided.

Baam
01-22-2015, 06:30 AM

Dumb it has nothing to do with bball. If Splitter had a career ending injury I certainly wouldn't brag about seeing into the future...

100%duncan
01-22-2015, 06:43 AM
Dumb it has nothing to do with bball. If Splitter had a career ending injury I certainly wouldn't brag about seeing into the future...

If player x gets injured after signing a double digit contract then no one would brag about it obviously. lol

BG_Spurs_Fan
01-22-2015, 07:27 AM

Your poor basketball takes aren't enough it seems. Keep digging tbh.

exstatic
01-22-2015, 07:59 AM

It's not just the dope. Word from his inner circle is that he just isn't that interested in basketball.

Namundy
01-22-2015, 08:05 AM
Ricky Williams 2.0?

Chinook
01-22-2015, 08:39 AM

Lol come on man. Sanders had these problems before the extension. Plus using drugs is not the same thing as getting injured.

cjw
01-22-2015, 08:41 AM
Yes, it's just pot. But when you're making eight figures to play a sport you better be clean as a whistle or be able to perform under the influence (see LT, Tim Rock Raines, the 86 Mets, David Wells' hungover perfect game). The law and your employer can and should hold you to different standards. If drinking were impacting your job, even indirectly, would you get a free pass at any decent job? Now all he's done is wasted 15-20% of the team's cap space for the next few years.

Mel_13
01-22-2015, 08:51 AM

Baam digging that hole deeper. Still dreaming of a future Spurs team featuring Sanders, Lance, and the Lopez brothers.

GrandeDavid
01-22-2015, 12:42 PM
No, but they sure could use Larry David!

01-22-2015, 01:52 PM
Yeah sure let's accept professional athletes paid millions being drug addicts. Fuck yes. Sure love American sport
Who said he was an addict? Professional athletes go out drinking all the time or have a couple of beers/wine at night, that do not make them alcoholics. Pot is less addictive than alcohol and less dangerous than cigarettes. Getting a DUI (Buford) is infinitely worse than smoking pot a couple times a week.

Yeah Sanders definitely has to quit to stop getting punished by the league but it's not like he was caught with guns, pulled over for drunk driving, or ODing on heroin. He can still turn in career around in the right environment. Just needs the right mentors.

Mel_13
01-22-2015, 01:58 PM
Who said he was an addict? Professional athletes go out drinking all the time or have a couple of beers/wine at night, that do not make them alcoholics. Pot is less addictive than alcohol and less dangerous than cigarettes. Getting a DUI (Buford) is infinitely worse than smoking pot a couple times a week.

Yeah Sanders definitely has to quit to stop getting punished by the league but it's not like he was caught with guns, pulled over for drunk driving, or ODing on heroin. He can still turn in career around in the right environment. Just needs the right mentors.

He's had 4 violations of the drug policy and missed 25 games last season due to a torn ligament in his thumb suffered in an altercation at a nightclub. The guy can't be trusted with an NBA paycheck. I'm sure some team will take a chance on him, but I'm glad it won't be the Spurs.

Andthentherewas21
01-22-2015, 02:16 PM
In addition to what Mel_13 said, the issue isn't whether pot is or isn't worse than alcohol/heroin, ect., it's about the character deficiencies of continuing to use a prohibited substance despite knowing full well all the implications it has. It speaks volumes to the character of the guy who is unwilling to give up (nonaddictive) pot for 9 months a year in order to maintain an extremely lucrative job in which makes more in a year than most people will in working other jobs for 30+ years. It also speaks to the effort level Sanders would give on improving his deficiencies on the court or even doing what the coaching staff asks of him during practice/games/ect.

FuzzyLumpkins
01-22-2015, 03:07 PM
Lol come on man. Sanders had these problems before the extension. Plus using drugs is not the same thing as getting injured.

Of course it's not but it doesn't have to be exact to make a point. The point is that you did not foresee his drug problem and are nothing more than the proverbial blind dog finding a bone. Now you act like an adolescent who 'won' something.

Chinook
01-22-2015, 03:12 PM
Of course it's not but it doesn't have to be exact to make a point. The point is that you did not foresee his drug problem and are nothing more than the proverbial blind dog finding a bone. Now you act like an adolescent who 'won' something.

The point isn't that Splitter > Sanders now that Sanders is a druggie. I'm not surprised you missed that.

FuzzyLumpkins
01-22-2015, 03:20 PM
The point isn't that Splitter > Sanders now that Sanders is a druggie. I'm not surprised you missed that.

Read the post again and see if you can identify the adjective 'drug.' Then try your response again, dimwit. I know it's difficult because drug is normally a noun and this time it's used as an addjective but most grade school kids have no issue so what is your problem?

Chinook
01-22-2015, 03:37 PM
Read the post again and see if you can identify the adjective 'drug.' Then try your response again, dimwit. I know it's difficult because drug is normally a noun and this time it's used as an addjective but most grade school kids have no issue so what is your problem?

I'm opening this post up to the floor. Anyone care to tell me where Fuzz is going here? dabom ? You and I have had our differences, so perhaps you can give an objective opinion on this.

FuzzyLumpkins
01-22-2015, 03:57 PM
I'm opening this post up to the floor. Anyone care to tell me where Fuzz is going here? dabom ? You and I have had our differences, so perhaps you can give an objective opinion on this.

At least this is new. I am guessing you jsut don't want to spam the main board because it's likely in the current climate to be moderated but typically you go for the spread spam shrill routine when you have no leg to stand on.

FuzzyLumpkins
01-22-2015, 04:03 PM
The point is that you did not foresee his drug problem and are nothing more than the proverbial blind dog finding a bone. Now you act like an adolescent who 'won' something.

I would like to go further though. Splitter > Sanders doesn't really say much at all. Sanders cannot counted on to play because of how many strikes he has against him. Congratulations on being SO RIGHT!!

Splitter still missed the first couple of months of the season again because of an injury. This is a trend that started when he first came into the league. He has never managed 25 mpg even ages 25-28. Now that he is 30?

Splitter's contract is only palatable because of the dearth of center talent. In and of itself, he is hurt and soft often.

Chinook
01-22-2015, 04:16 PM
At least this is new. I am guessing you jsut don't want to spam the main board because it's likely in the current climate to be moderated but typically you go for the spread spam shrill routine when you have no leg to stand on.

I'm being honest here, man. I literally don't know what your point was. I was saying that Sanders being an idiot druggie is not an unexpected and blameless occurrence like Tiago getting injured would be. I said Splitter was better then, and the counter argument was that Sanders would be better eventually.

But it hasn't happened that way, and not just because of Sanders' current trouble. Splitter had his biggest impact after signing the deal. You can argue he was worth his contract for last post-season alone. Sanders was a flash in the pan who clashed with teammates and coaches. Neither of those things were unpredictable.

Chinook
01-22-2015, 04:22 PM
I would like to go further though. Splitter > Sanders doesn't really say much at all.

The point is not that Splitter > Sander now because Sanders is a druggie. I'm not surprised you missed that.

FuzzyLumpkins
01-22-2015, 04:32 PM
I'm being honest here, man. I literally don't know what your point was. I was saying that Sanders being an idiot druggie is not an unexpected and blameless occurrence like Tiago getting injured would be. I said Splitter was better then, and the counter argument was that Sanders would be better eventually.

But it hasn't happened that way, and not just because of Sanders' current trouble. Splitter had his biggest impact after signing the deal. You can argue he was worth his contract for last post-season alone. Sanders was a flash in the pan who clashed with teammates and coaches. Neither of those things were unpredictable.

You don't know where i am going yet you argue the point? Nice intellectual honesty. I was around when Splitter's status was up in the air and Sanders was one of several other possible targets. I remember the arguments even if i was somewhat ambivalent. My goal here is to judge the status of those debates and to say you aren't vindicated, chachi, especially not with Splitter not being able to play half the games or more than 20 mpg

Splitter has played one year at that 'high' level. The low usage rate is what it is especially at that age. You going to be an instant evaluator and cheer on the demise of another player you didn't predict?

FuzzyLumpkins
01-22-2015, 04:37 PM

What is the point then that his 'deal' was better? Splitting hairs in a dissembling manner is intellectually dishonest especially when the notions are not mutually exclusive. Sander's availability and the player's talent levels are key issues in evaluating their 'deals.'

Better start spamming.

FuzzyLumpkins
01-22-2015, 04:42 PM

We think alike. It would be fun to bump some of those posts.

It certainly would be more fun than this circle jerk self affirmation you guys are using the same brain on.

Nullius in verba

Chinook
01-22-2015, 05:43 PM
What is the point then that his 'deal' was better? Splitting hairs in a dissembling manner is intellectually dishonest especially when the notions are not mutually exclusive. Sander's availability and the player's talent levels are key issues in evaluating their 'deals.'

Better start spamming.

You apparently don't remember two off-seasons ago if you I made the initial comparisons between Tiago and Larry.

FuzzyLumpkins
01-22-2015, 05:50 PM
You apparently don't remember two off-seasons ago if you I made the initial comparisons between Tiago and Larry.

Oh so now you are going to waffle on over there. Unless you come up with something from then where you are predicting this current outcome then wgaf as for this discussion as a whole. You have already surrendered your initial callout in this thread.

Chinook
01-22-2015, 05:54 PM
Oh so now you are going to waffle on over there. Unless you come up with something from then where you are predicting this current outcome then wgaf as for this discussion as a whole. You have already surrendered your initial callout in this thread.

Essentially, people lambasted Splitter's deal because it was almost as much as Sanders got. I was one of the people who thought the Spurs got the better deal. It's funny now to see exactly how bad it's gotten, but I was vindicated long before Sanders self-destructed this season.

FuzzyLumpkins
01-22-2015, 06:14 PM
Essentially, people lambasted Splitter's deal because it was almost as much as Sanders got. I was one of the people who thought the Spurs got the better deal. It's funny now to see exactly how bad it's gotten, but I was vindicated long before Sanders self-destructed this season.

Again, please show me the post where you predicted Sanders party meltdown as the basis for said conclusion.

Sanders was over 3 years younger at age 24 and one of the best rim protectors and rebounders in the game in 2013. He didn't start getting suspended until last year and sure he imploded but you weren't predicting it. What I want to know is what your justification was back in 2013. I like Splitter but come on.

Budkin
01-22-2015, 06:48 PM
He already said he's done playing basketball. No way.

exstatic
01-22-2015, 08:20 PM
He already said he's done playing basketball. No way.

This.

FuzzyLumpkins
01-22-2015, 08:47 PM
The source of the rumors he did not want to play came from Florio's offshoot in Probasketballtalk and referenced hearsay from Bucks officials. He himself has publicly repudiated that multiple times.

I don't think we have a shot at him even if the team wanted him but I certainly would not dismiss him out of hand. Certainly not when making a decision from an obvious position of ignorance.

exstatic
01-22-2015, 09:21 PM
Do you think Sanders would admit it if he had said it to the Bucks?

There is something VERY wrong with this kid "upstairs" if they're willing to eat multiple years of 8 figures on a contract. You don't just do that in a vacuum.

Chinook
01-23-2015, 12:56 AM
Again, please show me the post where you predicted Sanders party meltdown as the basis for said conclusion.

Sanders was over 3 years younger at age 24 and one of the best rim protectors and rebounders in the game in 2013. He didn't start getting suspended until last year and sure he imploded but you weren't predicting it. What I want to know is what your justification was back in 2013. I like Splitter but come on.

The first thing to point out is that Splitter was actually coming off a good defensive season that year as well. Sanders was a popular DPOY darkhorse, which is why people confused him for a good player in the first place. But Tiago was the Spurs' defensive MVP that year. His mobility was huge in the WCSF against GS and the WCF against Memphis (he had that awesome contest of Conley to force overtime in Game Three). Personally, I thought Tiago was a more complete defender than Sanders, who was just a shot-blocker. It wasn't really all that close on offense, in my opinion.

The whole idea of comparing Splitter's deal to Sanders' was foolish then, since they were made in two different situations. One didn't affect the other. But independent of that very obvious line of reasoning (which got pointed out a ton back then, I assure you), I felt that Splitter was just entering his prime as a big while Sanders wasn't particularly close to his. So I rejected the idea that Sanders projected to outperform Splitter over the life of his deal.

Pretty much, people thought Sanders was going to blow by Splitter due to their age difference. I thought Tiago was still going to keep getting better. The fact that Sanders is a druggie now is largely irrelevant other than it was the culmination of this attitude problems. It's just icing on the cake and something to rib people about.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218795&page=79&p=6804735#post6804735

Here is what I found from the Sanders/Splitter debate. I'm sure there's more in other threads, but you'll get the gist of it here.

100%duncan
01-23-2015, 01:09 AM
What's with people sucking the cock of "named players" tbh? :lol Not everyone's gonna shine in another place, especially a drug addict

FuzzyLumpkins
01-23-2015, 03:11 PM
The first thing to point out is that Splitter was actually coming off a good defensive season that year as well. Sanders was a popular DPOY darkhorse, which is why people confused him for a good player in the first place. But Tiago was the Spurs' defensive MVP that year. His mobility was huge in the WCSF against GS and the WCF against Memphis (he had that awesome contest of Conley to force overtime in Game Three). Personally, I thought Tiago was a more complete defender than Sanders, who was just a shot-blocker. It wasn't really all that close on offense, in my opinion.

The whole idea of comparing Splitter's deal to Sanders' was foolish then, since they were made in two different situations. One didn't affect the other. But independent of that very obvious line of reasoning (which got pointed out a ton back then, I assure you), I felt that Splitter was just entering his prime as a big while Sanders wasn't particularly close to his. So I rejected the idea that Sanders projected to outperform Splitter over the life of his deal.

Pretty much, people thought Sanders was going to blow by Splitter due to their age difference. I thought Tiago was still going to keep getting better. The fact that Sanders is a druggie now is largely irrelevant other than it was the culmination of this attitude problems. It's just icing on the cake and something to rib people about.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218795&page=79&p=6804735#post6804735

Here is what I found from the Sanders/Splitter debate. I'm sure there's more in other threads, but you'll get the gist of it here.

Tiago was not in fact the defensive MVP that year for the Spurs, the league or any other place. Sander did indeed get votes for DPOY whereas Splitter got none. We can talk about the validity of the award but since you brought it up that would undermine your veracity but then again logical consistency has never been your strong suit.

Outside of a single anecdote from the the last game of the WCF, you have a bunch of emotional garbage. It's just about wothless in terms of player evaluation. His mobility was 'huge' and the true scotsman strawman of people believing he was a 'good' player. That is not analysis as much as it's bad romance fiction.

You drop completely the usage argument. You concede that Splitter is an injury risk and soft. You concede the age argument and the prospects of a 24 year old as opposed to a 28 year old.

This notion that a different starting C's deal is foolish to compare another starting C's deal is stupid and a non-starter. This is ignorant on so many levels regarding pro sports free agent markets and how contracts are actually valuated. wtf are you thinking?

You sound like a homer and little more. :lol MVP