PDA

View Full Version : Cryptic Gasol comments on choosing Bulls over Spurs

in2deep
01-23-2015, 09:45 AM
Very interesting. Why would he say "it wasn't meant to be??"

Pau Gasol repeatedly has emphasized how happy he is with coming to the Bulls as a free agent, using the word "rejuvenated" consistently all season.

His other options were equally appealing, including Thursday's opponent, the Spurs.

"As strong as anyone's," Gasol said, when asked about the Spurs' pitch. "And it was difficult. I had great options, but I thought this was the best for me. And I still believe that."

Gasol, who is averaging 18.7 points, 11.4 rebounds and 2.1 blocks, had high praise for Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, with whom Gasol said he spoke "several times."

"It was great to speak with him," Gasol said. "I have the utmost admiration for him and respect. Great coach, great person just to have a conversation with. I hope in the future I have more conversations with him, but it just wasn't meant to be."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/ct-pau-gasol-bits-bulls-spt-0122-20150121-story.html

in2deep
01-23-2015, 09:48 AM
On Friday, various reports came out that stated free agent Pau Gasol had narrowed his options down to two teams, the San Antonio Spurs and the Chicago Bulls. Deep into Friday night, the Bulls pulled away, as Gasol chose to join the Bulls over the defending champions. This is a head-scratching decision for various reasons, but the main one is centered around the chance to win another NBA Championship.
Obviously the biggest appeal in San Antonio was the Spurs’ ability to win. San Antonio will have a nearly identical roster to that of last season, and adding a former All-Star in Gasol would have solidified the Spurs as favorites once again.

Gregg Popovich‘s most underrated strength is his ability to manage minutes. Ironically, this may be Bulls head coach Tom Thibodeau‘s biggest weakness. Popovich has done an incredible job limiting the minutes of his veterans throughout the last couple of seasons, and Popovich would have done wonders in attempting to extend Gasol’s career.

Additionally, the Spurs were the perfect fit offensively for Gasol’s skill set. His versatility and passing are things that Popovich’s offense revolves around, and he would have fit right in to the most efficient offenses in the NBA. Instead, he will join a Bulls team that fits his skills as well but does not possess nearly the dominance of the Spurs’ offense.

Certainly, Gasol is joining a team with a chance to represent the Eastern Conference in the 2015 NBA Finals. Derrick Rose is returning, and Joakim Noah is coming off the best season in his NBA career. However, joining Popovich and company would have demonstrated that Gasol’s main concern, winning, trumps every other factor.

http://www.rantsports.com/nba/2014/07/13/pau-gasol-makes-poor-decision-choosing-chicago-bulls-over-san-antonio-spurs/

Mikeanaro
01-23-2015, 09:53 AM
Bulls will get analized by Atlanta Washington or Toronto they are just regular season mannequins.

DPG21920
01-23-2015, 09:54 AM
He chose money. Then that money also represented a chance to be on a good team in a cupcake conference.

Uriel
01-23-2015, 09:57 AM
Chicago offered more money and a bigger market. I don't really blame him. Chicago is a world-class, cosmopolitan city, in a way San Antonio is not.

lefty
01-23-2015, 09:58 AM
:lol "World Class"

lefty
01-23-2015, 09:59 AM
After playing with Kome, Gasol dint want to play with an Enrique tbh

hater
01-23-2015, 10:00 AM
He probably liked Chicago over San Antonio. Sometimes it comes down to that :pctoss

apparently Gasol said "Instinct" told him to choose the Bulls

:lol Fat Antonio. Spaniard probably hates Messicans

Diego20
01-23-2015, 10:05 AM
He probably liked Chicago over San Antonio. Sometimes it comes down to that :pctoss

apparently Gasol said "Instinct" told him to choose the Bulls

:lol Fat Antonio. Spaniard probably hates Messicans

Go to the Enrique is done thread and say something about your no matter what Idol :cry

100%duncan
01-23-2015, 10:13 AM
Money. Role. East.

It's not cryptic. Just one of those cliche lines

in2deep
01-23-2015, 10:16 AM
Money.

not sure this was a factor. Gasol got plenty of money and it's not like he was offered peanuts in SA

Role.

also not sure this was a factor. I'm sure Pop pitched him a great role

East.

huh?

Budkin
01-23-2015, 10:17 AM
It's ok, we'll get his brother instead.

Mel_13
01-23-2015, 10:18 AM
Money. Role. East.

It's not cryptic. Just one of those cliche lines

Cliche, not cryptic. Well done.

spursparker9
01-23-2015, 10:23 AM
Fuck TSpence tbh

Spurs9
01-23-2015, 10:29 AM
Fuck TSpence tbh
:lmao
Still remember that text message convo from tspense getting some inside info from "someone high up in the organazation", and it blowing up when he broke the false news :lmao

100%duncan
01-23-2015, 11:02 AM
not sure this was a factor. Gasol got plenty of money and it's not like he was offered peanuts in SA

also not sure this was a factor. I'm sure Pop pitched him a great role

huh?

Spurs can only offer the MLE. He's worth more, and he got more millions.

He's the number 1 guy now. He still can in his mind, so he won't take a lesser role.

East is much easier.

weebo
01-23-2015, 11:37 AM
Bigger market, more money, easier road to the PO/Finals, and not having to face his brother more than he has to were all probably all determining factors.

ajh18
01-23-2015, 11:50 AM
Bigger market, more money, easier road to the PO/Finals, and not having to face his brother more than he has to were all probably all determining factors.

I agree with these. Also, a less-crowded front court to share minutes with, the "culture" of a big city, and - I suspect - a preference to be perceived as the missing piece to get a team over the hump vs a ring-chaser who joins onto a team that just proved they could already win without you. I know WE wouldn't see Gasol that way, but he might see himself that way if he joined us.

in2deep
01-23-2015, 12:14 PM
all good points. thanks

UZER
01-23-2015, 12:18 PM
I agree with these. Also, a less-crowded front court to share minutes with, the "culture" of a big city, and - I suspect - a preference to be perceived as the missing piece to get a team over the hump vs a ring-chaser who joins onto a team that just proved they could already win without you. I know WE wouldn't see Gasol that way, but he might see himself that way if he joined us.

Both sides of this argument are always said by a player who doesn't choose SA.

Legacy
01-23-2015, 12:20 PM
Would rather have Baby Gasol tbh.

Johnny RIngo
01-23-2015, 12:32 PM
After playing with Kome, Gasol dint want to play with an Enrique tbh

Pretty much. He already played with one selfish chucker that plays no D. Probably doesn't want to go through that again.

On a serious note, he chose the team that offered more money, the bigger role, and the better city.

Mr. Body
01-23-2015, 02:35 PM
I think if we could give Gasol playing time, he would be here. As it was, there was no obvious room for him, but at Chicago, especially with Boozer gone, the low post was all his. That's all it came down to.

Maj_G
01-23-2015, 09:42 PM
I think it came down to Chicago vs San Antonio meaning the cities. Pau likes going to the Opera, watching theater and that type of thing. SAS had a (slight) advantage basketball wise which made it close, but eventually it wasn't enough.

DPG21920
01-23-2015, 09:47 PM
Dirk still shitting on Pau :lol

hater
01-23-2015, 10:22 PM
Dirk still shitting on Pau :lol

Pau still won d game

therealtruth
01-28-2015, 06:16 AM
Pau made the right decision. He's not an allstar this year if he's playing on the Spurs. The Spurs frontcourt is already too crowded. He went where they had the greatest need.

rocknblues81
01-28-2015, 06:24 AM
He chose money. Then that money also represented a chance to be on a good team in a cupcake conference.

The Hawks offered as much as Chicago.

I bet he suspected that he would come off the bench here. But he would have been great here.

Fireball
01-28-2015, 06:26 AM
Pau made the right decision. He's not an allstar this year if he's playing on the Spurs. The Spurs frontcourt is already too crowded. He went where they had the greatest need.

Absolutely, he did not chose a shitty team. Chicago now defeated the Spurs, Mavs and Dubs in one week ... they turned it around after Rose's comments

hater
01-28-2015, 10:28 AM
agree looks like pau's decision was the right one for him. damn, what couldabeen

8FOR!3
01-28-2015, 10:50 AM
I'm a fan of Pau's game and I respect him as a competitor, but I think he definitely made the right decision. He fits better in Chicago in that he fills a hole. I also don't blame him for taking more money, his play has obviously proven that he's worth every bit of it and age wise it's probably one of his last chances at getting a good contract.