PDA

View Full Version : Is San Antonio about to get a permanent influx of former New Orleanians?

TheWriter
09-01-2005, 05:57 PM
I was watching WOAI at 5:00 and they were talking to a family (father, mother, two little sons) at the east side Red cross shelter and the father said they had nothing to go back to and that they'd most likely make San Antonio their new home because they don't want to be refugees. The mother said she was going to use some of the clothes donated to the red cross for job interviews.

Will this be the mindset of the many coming to San Antonio tonight?

If so, will San Antonio see a large influx of former New Orleanians?

ObiwanGinobili
09-01-2005, 06:00 PM
If I lost everything except what was on my back.. i think that'd be my mindset also.
They have nothing to go back to. Might as well make a life and try to get back to normal wherever you land.

TOP-CHERRY
09-01-2005, 06:00 PM
Most likely. They don't have anything to go back to... And if I were them, I'd think twice about rebuilding again. Who's to say this is the last time a hurricane like this hits LA and Mississipi again?

sa_butta
09-01-2005, 06:01 PM
I was watching WOAI at 5:00 and they were talking to a family (father, mother, two little sons) at the east side Red cross shelter and the father said they had nothing to go back to and that they'd most likely make San Antonio their new home because they don't want to be refugees. The mother said she was going to use some of the clothes donated to the red cross for job interviews.

Will this be the mindset of the many coming to San Antonio tonight?

If so, will San Antonio see a large influx of former New Orleanians?I would think alot of people will also be making Houston their new homes with the shuttling to the Astro dome and other Houston facilities.

MannyIsGod
09-01-2005, 06:02 PM
I'd imagine that a good amount of the people being shipped to varius cities will never live in New Orleans again. I've seen several accounts of people who have given up on going back because they have lost everything.

TheWriter
09-01-2005, 06:02 PM
I would think alot of people will also be making Houston their new homes with the shuttling to the Astro dome and other Houston facilities.

True. But I'm speaking for the thousands that will be housed in San Antonio.

TheWriter
09-01-2005, 06:03 PM
I'd imagine that a good amount of the people being shipped to varius cities will never live in New Orleans again. I've seen several accounts of people who have given up on going back because they have lost everything.

Would it have a positive or negative effect on SA if a large amount made SA home?

A lot were living in poverty before the storm, some weren't but were fools who thought they could ride it out.

samikeyp
09-01-2005, 06:04 PM
If so, will San Antonio see a large influx of former New Orleanians?

Maybe. If so, welcome.

TOP-CHERRY
09-01-2005, 06:05 PM
Would it have a positive or negative effect on SA if a large amount made SA home?

A lot were living in poverty before the storm, some weren't but were fools who thought they could ride it out.
I think all the city needs to do right now is concentrate on opening its arms to all these people, not wondering what they'll give back to us.

Don't you think?

TheWriter
09-01-2005, 06:06 PM
Maybe. If so, welcome.

Exactly.

Love how the city leaders are handling this. Mayor Hardberger seems like someone who was made for such an event.

And Art Hall, who was put in charge of everything, seems like the perfect choice. Dude is a smart smart man.

TheWriter
09-01-2005, 06:07 PM
I think all the city needs to do right now is concentrate on opening its arms to all these people, not wondering what they'll give back to us.

Don't you think?

Yes, without a doubt. But is it wrong to think longterm? The city should figure out how to offer these poeple a senseable way to get back on their feet. The Alamo Work Force should help, housing companies should pitch in, etc.

Shelly
09-01-2005, 06:09 PM
I see you changed the title of this thread.

TOP-CHERRY
09-01-2005, 06:10 PM
I see you changed the title of this thread.
Heh. I was gonna say that, but wasn't sure if my eyes had deceived me. "Blacks", was it?

Shelly
09-01-2005, 06:11 PM
Yes, it was originally 'blacks'

TheWriter
09-01-2005, 06:14 PM

Yeah, when I read it, it didn't sit well.

spurschick
09-01-2005, 06:24 PM
I don't know the details, but I had lunch with someone today, a former employer, who said that he is working with the Mayor on some kind of initiative that involves San Antonio and the now homeless people of NO, etc. I think they are working on a means to entice them to relocate here and start over.

Jelly
09-01-2005, 06:27 PM

the New Orleans Diaspora.

Samr
09-01-2005, 06:29 PM
We're getting 9 refugees enrolling at our school. We offered our house if a family needs a place to stay.

This may hit closer to home than I thought.

They picked the right city to move to.

Jelly
09-01-2005, 06:30 PM
Exactly.

Love how the city leaders are handling this. Mayor Hardberger seems like someone who was made for such an event.

now I bet all you big mean San Antonians feel bad about booing him at the Alamodome :nope

TheWriter
09-01-2005, 06:30 PM
I don't know the details, but I had lunch with someone today, a former employer, who said that he is working with the Mayor on some kind of initiative that involves San Antonio and the now homeless people of NO, etc. I think they are working on a means to entice them to relocate here and start over.

They should have SAHA (or whoever) build a large/massive masterplanned community, have it be paid by government grants.

Employ some of the refugees to help build it and bam you have economic stimulation.

TheWriter
09-01-2005, 06:31 PM
We're getting 9 refugees enrolling at our school. We offered our house if a family needs a place to stay.

This may hit closer to home than I thought.

They picked the right city to move to.

Are you in SA?

I know of another family in San Antonio that let a family from New Orleans move in with them. They had it on the news.

TOP-CHERRY
09-01-2005, 06:31 PM

That's awesome. What school do you go to?

TOP-CHERRY
09-01-2005, 06:33 PM
now I bet all you big mean San Antonians feel bad about booing him at the Alamodome :nope
We San Antonians are nice, warm people. Now shut the hell up!

:D

(I'm kidding)

TheWriter
09-01-2005, 06:33 PM

I didn't boo him, the people who didn't vote for him did, and those people were probably bitter. But now is no time to be bitter about who won. We need proactive leadership, and we have it.

Lets do the people of New Orleans good.

Dan Rather
09-01-2005, 06:43 PM
http://www.boomspeed.com/woaimouse/Looter-mouse.jpg

Shelly
09-01-2005, 06:45 PM
http://www.boomspeed.com/woaimouse/Looter-mouse.jpg

:lmao

TheWriter
09-01-2005, 06:46 PM
I never noticed before, he has one in his back pocket!

SpursWoman
09-01-2005, 06:50 PM

I thought that was horrendous....especially when he got his ass to the airport at 3am or whatever to welcome them home after game 5. Damn haters don't give anyone a chance. :spin

samikeyp
09-01-2005, 06:53 PM
that is politics for you. for some people it doesn't matter if someone did something nice...if they are not your party, they are the enemy and will be treated as such.

mouse
09-01-2005, 06:59 PM
I never noticed before, he has one in his back pocket!

^ Rack! :lmao

TheTruth
09-02-2005, 11:31 AM
Going to be a bunch of people looking for jobs pretty soon..

batman2883
09-02-2005, 11:33 AM
there are a lot of jobs opening up now too with toyota and washington mutual gotta wonder if those hiring officials will be more a bias towards hiring a New Orleans survivor over a San Antonionian, personally i dont care i think they need it way more than us

SWC Bonfire
09-02-2005, 11:51 AM
The problem is that the people moving in may not be very skilled and the certainly don't have any references that employers can check in any sort of expedient fashion.

Extra Stout
09-02-2005, 11:56 AM
The problem is that the people moving in may not be very skilled and the certainly don't have any references that employers can check in any sort of expedient fashion.
Some of the refugees do. Some don't.

In Houston, there are people in the Astrodome with plenty of money just asking to go outside and take a taxi to the airport, so they can buy a plane ticket back to New Orleans in a couple of days.

They don't have a grasp of the situation yet. Once it sinks in that New Orleans is gone, they'll grieve, then go find a job and an apartment.

Many people will be surprised how plentiful jobs are in Houston. The economy in Louisiana chronically sucks because of corruption.

CosmicCowboy
09-02-2005, 12:40 PM
I heard there were some high school football coaches "scouting" the busses as they unloaded for "talent" to enroll in their schools...

T Park
09-02-2005, 12:43 PM
alot of the people getting influxed, you dont know what their status is.

If they are well educated what they are....

Notorious H.O.P.
09-02-2005, 01:10 PM

Does that mean the original title was

"Is San Antonio about to get a permanent influx of former blacks?"

:lol

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-02-2005, 01:58 PM
I heard there were some high school football coaches "scouting" the busses as they unloaded for "talent" to enroll in their schools...

If that's true...there will be no bounds to what I go through to help expose and inform people about that.

That's just fucking sick.