PDA

View Full Version : Torchys Tacos

Spurs9
01-25-2015, 12:13 AM
I've been missing out on this place never going to it when I was in Austin. Got it for the first time when they opened in SA, and have been back 4 times since. Got some to go tonight again, and I was thinking how good these tacos are. Being that SA is loaded with Tacos joints, perhaps I haven't been to enough since living here most of my life. But they are easily my favorite tacos I think I've ever had. The overall combo of what I've had so far with flavor and taste have been spot on for me. Any other fans of these tacos tbh? If anyone has recommendations for go to unique taco places similar that are better I'm all ears. I'm a fan of Eriks tacos after discovering it last year, but they don't really make crazy ones like these.

blizz
01-25-2015, 08:01 AM
Where is it at

Spurs9
01-25-2015, 11:15 AM
Lincoln Heights, might want to hit it off hours though. It gets ridiculously packed, line was 40 deep when I went there last night, to go order you can bypass all of it :lol

Chinook
01-25-2015, 11:18 AM
Torchy's sucks. It's like the prime example of how overrated Austin is becoming.

DesignatedT
01-25-2015, 11:20 AM
Torchy's sucks. It's like the prime example of how overrated Austin is becoming.

This. Live right next door to one in Austin. Place is always packed and I don't understand why.

DPG21920
01-25-2015, 12:31 PM
People always do this. Torchy's is a solid taco place. Just because it might become overrated and a symbol for people upset about Austin changing, doesn't make it bad. It can still be good (which it is) and also be overrated.

Chinook
01-25-2015, 03:34 PM
People always do this. Torchy's is a solid taco place. Just because it might become overrated and a symbol for people upset about Austin changing, doesn't make it bad. It can still be good (which it is) and also be overrated.

I'm an Austinite, man. There are much better taco places here. Torchy's is our version of In-and-Out.

Spurs9
01-25-2015, 04:33 PM
I'm an Austinite, man. There are much better taco places here. Torchy's is our version of In-and-Out.
If your going to say it sucks, at least back it up with some recommendations I can try.

leemajors
01-25-2015, 04:47 PM

Veracruz All Natural :tu

The Reckoning
01-25-2015, 05:44 PM
overpriced. go to rositas al pastor and get better ones for 1/3 the price tbh. might have to dodge some cholos on the way but it's worth it.

DMX7
01-25-2015, 06:45 PM
Torchy's sucks.

Fuck you. It's awesome.

ChumpDumper
01-25-2015, 09:14 PM
Overpriced but nice, out for the ordinary combos.

Seriously, you can get more than decent Austin tacos at gas stations all over town these days.

Chinook
01-25-2015, 09:45 PM
Fuck you. It's awesome.

Lol. No, it's not. Not unless you consider hip-and-trendiness a seasoning.

Spurs9
01-25-2015, 10:36 PM
Lol. No, it's not. Not unless you consider hip-and-trendiness a seasoning.
It sounds like the only reason you don't like it is because a lot of people do, thats hipsterness in itself. I don't know exactly how "Overrated Austin is becoming" relates to this, I ate at the location built in San Antonio. I don't care if there are 100's of people there or no people there, if I personally like it I'll go back. Recommend me another place that trumps it and I'll try it next time I'm in Austin. I'm not out for trying places that are anti-austin mainstream or whatever idea you are implying, I'm just after good food tbh.

Chinook
01-25-2015, 10:51 PM
It sounds like the only reason you don't like it is because a lot of people do, thats hipsterness in itself. I don't know exactly how "Overrated Austin is becoming" relates to this, I ate at the location built in San Antonio. I don't care if there are 100's of people there or no people there, if I personally like it I'll go back. Recommend me another place that trumps it and I'll try it next time I'm in Austin. I'm not out for trying places that are anti-austin mainstream or whatever idea you are implying, I'm just after good food tbh.

I don't like Torchy's because the food doesn't taste good. It's baffling to me that it's so popular given that fact. There are food trucks that have better tacos. Hell, my mother makes better tacos, and hers are free anytime I want to go over. It's not about Torchy's being stereotypical Austin. Amy's Ice Cream is as well, and I think that place is pretty good, because they have good ice cream. I've been to Austinite coffee shops, smoothie places, etc. If the place has good food/drink, I go back. But it seems to me that the only reason why people like Torchy's is the culture, which pretty much sums up what's going on in the city right now.

DMX7
01-25-2015, 10:59 PM
But it seems to me that the only reason why people like Torchy's is the culture, which pretty much sums up what's going on in the city right now.

The ones in Houston are packed.

Chinook
01-25-2015, 11:08 PM
The ones in Houston are packed.

Okay.

DPG21920
01-25-2015, 11:26 PM

I too am an Austinite. While they don't blow you away, they have been around and are good enough. Overrated due to culture? Sure. Still some solid tacos.

monosylab1k
01-25-2015, 11:47 PM
There's one in Allen, a Dallas suburb. So it can't be too terribly hip. But it is pretty good, and way overpriced.

unleashbaynes
01-26-2015, 01:50 AM
Decent for sure but i have other places i'd go first that are way cheaper and have better tacos.

DisAsTerBot
01-26-2015, 10:24 AM
tacos for white people.

ohmwrecker
01-26-2015, 10:28 AM
Torchy's is gimmicky, mediocre and overpriced.

:lol $5 taco

jjktkk
01-26-2015, 10:38 AM
Don't get all the hype for Torchy's.

CosmicCowboy
01-27-2015, 08:31 AM
in SA, Pete's Taco House is my go to downtown hole in the wall for tacos but not quite as good since they moved...

https://plus.google.com/117305658237714325745/about?gl=us&hl=en

For Norhside Rodeo Jalisco in Collonade Mall at 10 and Wurzbach rocks.

Spurs9
01-27-2015, 09:40 AM
in SA, Pete's Taco House is my go to downtown hole in the wall for tacos but not quite as good since they moved...

https://plus.google.com/117305658237714325745/about?gl=us&hl=en

For Norhside Rodeo Jalisco in Collonade Mall at 10 and Wurzbach rocks.
Is that the place next to AutoZone?

mrsmaalox
01-27-2015, 10:14 AM
Is Torchy's the taco version of Freebirds?

DarrinS
01-27-2015, 10:35 AM
Is it pronounced "torsheez"?

ohmwrecker
01-27-2015, 10:36 AM
Is Torchy's the taco version of Freebirds?

No. They are better than Freebirds. The tacos are cooked to order. They aren't scooping everything out of a hot table.

They're good. You should try them. I'm just jaded and spoiled tbh.

ohmwrecker
01-27-2015, 10:37 AM
Is it pronounced "torsheez"?

No. These are the whitest tacos on the planet.

DarrinS
01-27-2015, 10:38 AM
No. These are the whitest tacos on the planet.

Let me guess: Fish tacos? :lmao

unleashbaynes
01-27-2015, 10:47 AM
I forgot about that queso though......shits amazing.

DisAsTerBot
shiiiit fish tacos are badass

more like :
The Independent
hand-battered and fried portabello mushroom strips with refried black beans, roasted corn, escabeche carrots, queso fres

ohmwrecker
Let me guess: Fish tacos? :lmao

Yes, but that's not what I meant. Fish tacos originated in Baja California.

ohmwrecker
01-27-2015, 10:49 AM
That Trailer Park taco is fucking delicious, but there is nothing Mexican about it.

SupremeGuy
01-27-2015, 11:31 AM
Overpriced hipster tacos for try-to-hard whites, tbh.

FuzzyLumpkins
01-29-2015, 03:36 PM
Overpriced hipster tacos for try-to-hard whites, tbh.

As opposed to lazy brown? Is that what you are going for?

The Gemini Method
01-29-2015, 04:02 PM
Fuck Chinook for being an Austinite...well, that's just spite--because he dissed In-N-Out and that is no bueno.

ohmwrecker
01-29-2015, 04:21 PM
Fuck Chinook for being an Austinite...well, that's just spite--because he dissed In-N-Out and that is no bueno.

In-N-Out blows. No bacon?! No jalapenos?! Fuck that shit.

P. Terry's 4 life!

ChumpDumper
01-29-2015, 04:27 PM
In-n-Out? Also good but overrated.

I have trouble seeing why anyone wants to stand or sit in huge lines for fast or nominally fast food. And that crap happens every day in Austin.

The Gemini Method
01-29-2015, 04:29 PM

P. Terry's 4 life! Fuck you, too. No bacon is not an issue as I rarely enjoy it on my burger. The have peppers and the superior banana peppers in which they'll put it in your double-double. Fresh jalapenos I provide from my own garden.

cantthinkofanything
01-29-2015, 04:29 PM

P. Terry's 4 life!

oh, they have both jalapenos and bacon. It's on their "secret" menu. You just have to know how to order it.
Next time you're there, order "cheese burger bacon thighs bitch". and they will put bacon on your burger.
For jalapenos, it's "I'd like some hot cheesy meat between my buns".

The Gemini Method
01-29-2015, 04:30 PM
Fuck you, too. No bacon is not an issue as I rarely enjoy it on my burger. The have peppers and the superior banana peppers in which they'll put it in your double-double. Fresh jalapenos I provide from my own garden.

Seriously, do all of you eat on the laurels of My Olympia? Who the fuck are you to say what's overrated? Unless you're Michellin rated or some near perfect culinary gurus, you know next to nothing what's overrated.

ohmwrecker
01-29-2015, 04:37 PM
Fuck you, too. No bacon is not an issue as I rarely enjoy it on my burger. The have peppers and the superior banana peppers in which they'll put it in your double-double. Fresh jalapenos I provide from my own garden.

Jesus Christ, man... Chill out. Do you have stock in In-N-Out or something?

ohmwrecker
01-29-2015, 04:39 PM
Also, fuck that "secret menu" bullshit. Seriously.

The Gemini Method
01-29-2015, 04:43 PM
Jesus Christ, man... Chill out. Do you have stock in In-N-Out or something?

I am trying a new approach to posting. I think its too high volume for my style. I'm messing around. I don't care if you don't like In-N-Out. Doesn't come off well.

cantthinkofanything
01-29-2015, 04:45 PM
Also, fuck that "secret menu" bullshit. Seriously.

my daughter loves Starbucks and found some app that gives you a "secret menu".
She's tried it 3 times and none of the fucking workers know what any of the names mean.

ohmwrecker
01-29-2015, 04:47 PM
I am trying a new approach to posting. I think its too high volume for my style. I'm messing around. I don't care if you don't like In-N-Out. Doesn't come off well.

My bad. Carry on. I won't tell anybody.

The Gemini Method
01-29-2015, 04:53 PM
my daughter loves Starbucks and found some app that gives you a "secret menu".
She's tried it 3 times and none of the fucking workers know what any of the names mean.

I experience this. Each locale has a different secret menu...I like the grasshopper or cap'n crunch blended drinks but not all locales make either of them or none sometimes. It sucks but I get it.

cantthinkofanything
01-29-2015, 04:59 PM
I experience this. Each locale has a different secret menu...I like the grasshopper or cap'n crunch blended drinks but not all locales make either of them or none sometimes. It sucks but I get it.

didn't know that. perhaps she doesn't either and is ordering something from a different part of the country. I should tell her some crazy thing to say like the stuff above.

that reminds me of a story...

Went to a Catholic school. I had 4 years of Latin. We had to go to mass every Friday. Once a year, there was a Latin mass. I wasn't Catholic so didn't go take Communion. Had a friend that only took Spanish and he wanted to know what to say after he took the wafer. I told him to say, "Feces Christi". We busted a gut at the look the Monsignor gave him after he said that. I think the priest must have thought there's no way he actually heard that. Because he kept the line going. And he wasn't the kind of priest to not beat someone down if he thought he had a reason to.

ohmwrecker
01-29-2015, 05:00 PM
Employees at fast food joints and coffee shops can barely get regular menu orders right. You really want to throw secret menu shit at them?

The Gemini Method
01-29-2015, 05:04 PM
Employees at fast food joints and coffee shops can barely get regular menu orders right. You really want to throw secret menu shit at them?

Well, you can make that argument for In-N-Out that has a not-so secret menu. That shit you can look up online and figure out what you'd like to try. Sbux is more like a secret menu that has no substantial background. It's made up by each store and is really just a way to get to use items they might've surplus of...So its more ethereal and made up by the coked out 5am baristas :lol

cantthinkofanything
01-29-2015, 05:05 PM

no...I don't.

My wife on the other hand...

we'll be going through Taco Bell or some other shit hole and she'll order all kinds of changes to shit.

"Bean and cheese burrito, add lettuce and sour cream."
"Ok. a burrito supreme."
"nooooooo (in a bitchy tone), that's different. I want a bean and cheese burrito, add etc."
She does this for a couple items.
"Beefy Gordita. No meat. Extra sour cream. Extra lettuce.."

So...

1) anything that anyone else orders is going to be collateral damage and be completely fucked up
2) I don't want to know what happens to my food before I eat it

The Gemini Method
01-29-2015, 05:07 PM
Del Taco has that thing where they put their special sauce and fries in anything you order...yes, anything...

CosmicCowboy
01-29-2015, 05:08 PM
no...I don't.

My wife on the other hand...

we'll be going through Taco Bell or some other shit hole and she'll order all kinds of changes to shit.

"Bean and cheese burrito, add lettuce and sour cream."
"Ok. a burrito supreme."
"nooooooo (in a bitchy tone), that's different. I want a bean and cheese burrito, add etc."
She does this for a couple items.
"Beefy Gordita. No meat. Extra sour cream. Extra lettuce.."

So...

1) anything that anyone else orders is going to be collateral damage and be completely fucked up
2) I don't want to know what happens to my food before I eat it

LOL my daughter does this.

Drives me nuts.

cantthinkofanything
01-29-2015, 05:12 PM
LOL my daughter does this.

Drives me nuts.

It just seems logical to not want to upset the last people to touch your food before you eat it.
I don't know how many times, I just say, "nothing for me. I'll eat at home."

She's like, "oh...they don't do that to food."

The Gemini Method
01-29-2015, 05:16 PM
Go Bold is the Del Taco secret altering of their MexiMuricano food items menu...

cantthinkofanything
01-29-2015, 05:23 PM
Go Bold is the Del Taco secret altering of their MexiMuricano food items menu...

God. I am so fucking sick of catch phrases. After a full day of people winking and saying "hey m'man...go bold on that", I would probably wipe my ass on the next tortilla.

The Gemini Method
01-29-2015, 05:28 PM
God. I am so fucking sick of catch phrases. After a full day of people winking and saying "hey m'man...go bold on that", I would probably wipe my ass on the next tortilla.

Chances are you'd probably have to speak in Espanol then it will go down as you've prescribed...

SupremeGuy
01-29-2015, 09:07 PM
As opposed to lazy brown? Is that what you are going for?Try-too-hard-to-be-cool whites, tbh. lol

bigot :cry

FuzzyLumpkins
01-29-2015, 10:51 PM
Try-too-hard-to-be-cool whites, tbh. lol

bigot :cry

Now you're deflecting. You are championing being lazy because applying effort is to be avoided according to your ideal. That makes you a lazy pos in fact. You keep guessing my ethnicity.

Spur|n|Austin
01-30-2015, 12:16 AM

Agreed on there being better tacos for sure but Torchy's is still good imo.

Austinite as well, Seton hospital circa '84! It's rare seeing other originals. What HS did you go to?

SupremeGuy
01-30-2015, 06:53 AM
Now you're deflecting. You are championing being lazy because applying effort is to be avoided according to your ideal. That makes you a lazy pos in fact. You keep guessing my ethnicity.Seems a try-too-hard fuzzy has done shown me up. Bravo.

DarrinS
01-30-2015, 02:52 PM
I see that Fuzzy is a dick, even in laid back food threads. At least he's consistent.

FuzzyLumpkins
01-30-2015, 02:53 PM
Seems a try-too-hard fuzzy has done shown me up. Bravo.

It doesn't take effort to realize the opposite of try hard is don't try. It takes an equal amount of effort to realize that not trying is lazy and cowardly. That you think that any of that takes effort is just sad.

FuzzyLumpkins
01-30-2015, 02:54 PM
:cry race baiting is great but fuzzy is mean when we do stupid shit. :cry