PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Still Interested in Devin Brown.

TheWriter
09-01-2005, 06:45 PM
Don Harris just reported that the Spurs contacted Devin's agent last night and said they're still interested in Devin.

:spin

usckk
09-01-2005, 06:46 PM
WTF? We don't have room for him. Our roster has 12 people already. He's not going to sign with the Spurs to play in the IR.

angel_luv
09-01-2005, 06:47 PM
How can they afford him?

Kori Ellis
09-01-2005, 06:47 PM
Hint: they must be looking to trade someone.

Dex
09-01-2005, 06:48 PM
I would love, love, LOVE to have Devin back....It would be really sad to see him go anywhere else...but honestly, it wouldn't really do any wonders for his career. If he thought he had a hard time getting on the floor last year, could you imagine how hard it would be now with Micheal Finley, NVE, and a more well-established Brent Barry in the mix?

Tough call there. Like everyone, I hate the thought of him not being on our bench. I just don't want him to sit there going to waste.

usckk
09-01-2005, 06:49 PM
Barry's gone then.

Dex
09-01-2005, 06:49 PM

Guess that takes care of 1/3 of my argument.

Who will I put as my avatar now? :depressed

TheWriter
09-01-2005, 06:50 PM

Barry and Rasho for draft picks!

usckk
Could this offseason get even more interesting?

Aggie Hoopsfan

At this point Rasho, Beno, and Barry are all expendable.

timvp
09-01-2005, 06:52 PM
If the Spurs trade away Barry to lower their long term salary, Brown is a necessity again. If the Spurs are saying this now, it could be that they have a deal for Barry lined up.

It probably also means Devin's agent was bluffing and has no significant offers on the table.

usckk
09-01-2005, 06:55 PM
Personally, I dont' want to see Barry leave. I can see him having a big year this year after getting more comfortable. For me, Barry>Devin. I'm going to get nailed for saying that :)

TheWriter
09-01-2005, 06:55 PM
So

So we may have a rotation of:

Tony/NVE
Manu/Devin
Bowen/Finley

That sounds nice.

Dex
09-01-2005, 06:56 PM
But who will tell the jokes!?

Manu may try, but nobody will get them!

usckk
09-01-2005, 06:57 PM
I see a Barry/Nesterovic trade to the Cavs for a expiring contract and picks.

ShoogarBear
09-01-2005, 06:59 PM
I think I would rather have Barry than Devin, too. But the Spurs are still the Spurs, and freeing up salary room will always be part of the equation.

timvp
09-01-2005, 07:00 PM
I'd prefer the Spurs to stay how they are, but it'd make more financial sense if they trade away Barry and re-sign Devin. Rasho will also be traded ... if he can. And like the Barry move, it won't be a move to improve the team.

This is the Holt era.

Deal with it.

:hat

usckk
09-01-2005, 07:01 PM
I'd prefer the Spurs to stay how they are, but it'd make more financial sense if they trade away Barry and re-sign Devin. Rasho will also be traded ... if he can. And like the Barry move, it won't be a move to improve the team.

This is the Holt era.

Deal with it.

:(

TheWriter
09-01-2005, 07:03 PM
I
This is the Holt era.

Deal with it.

3 titles. I'm dealing just fine.

The Holt era has been great.

Dex
09-01-2005, 07:03 PM
.....KILL THE MESSENGER! :pctoss

Instigator
09-01-2005, 07:13 PM
i really like barry but i think it would be wise to keep devin around. fin and bowen are getting old and we need someone that can fill the role when they retire.

Kori Ellis
09-01-2005, 07:13 PM
Agent Says Brown May Still Sign With Spurs
LAST UPDATE: 9/1/2005 7:03:05 PM
Posted By: Kori Ellis
This story is available on your cell phone at mobile.woai.com.

The agent for Devin Brown says the 26-year-old free agent may not be on his way out depite the fact the Spurs signed Michael Finley.

Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich indicated on Ticket760's "The Pop Show" earlier this week that it was likely one or the other. So when Finley committed to the Spurs on Wednesday that was the end of that ... or so we thought.

"There's definitely a chance," said Brown's agent Darrick Powell. "There was never a time where it was either one or the other. I got a phone call last night actually, and there's still some interest (from the Spurs) for Devin."

When asked by News 4 WOAI's Don Harris about the chances Brown will remain a Spur, Powell said, "Definitely, 50-50. At least, 50-50."

We'll wait and see what develops.

Meanwhile Finley will arrive in San Antonio on Friday, have his physical, and meet with the media sometime in the afternoon.

Obstructed_View
09-01-2005, 07:20 PM
I'm surprised that Devin didn't generate more interest. If he stays he's gonna need a lot of suits.

ploto
09-01-2005, 07:27 PM
I see a Barry/Nesterovic trade to the Cavs for a expiring contract and picks.

A team that just gave thier center an $11M a year contract is not trading for Rasho.

It makes most sense that Barry would be the object because that is how you would actually make room on the team for Devin to suit up and play. Moving Beno or Rasho does nothing to clear a roster spot for Devin.

usckk
09-01-2005, 07:31 PM
I meant as a package. Both Barry and Nesterovic for someone.

TwoHandJam
09-01-2005, 07:38 PM
I wonder if that rumor about Barry to the Warriors for Pietrus (and a trade exception?) stuff is lined up to go down when Finley has his physical and the signing is wrapped up.

DieMrBond
09-01-2005, 07:46 PM
I dont get it ... keep Barry + resign devin, have an almost unstoppable onslaught of talent on the wing positions... sure, your a couple of mil over the luxury tax - but im pretty sure thats peanuts compared to having good lockerroom presence, outstanding talent, and FINALS APPEARANCES!

gah, holt!

marcus
09-01-2005, 07:55 PM
I wonder if that rumor about Barry to the Warriors for Pietrus (and a trade exception?) stuff is lined up to go down when Finley has his physical and the signing is wrapped up.

Barry for Pietrus would be a great move for the spurs. Besides Brown + Pietrus > Barry.

You see, that is what i am talking about. Great project, nice addition, great salary, 11 years younger than Barry and french to be partner of the supposed spurs future, Parker and the overseas project, Mahinmi.

It seems San Antonio might be looking for a french future.

Kori Ellis
09-01-2005, 07:57 PM

Where did that rumor originate? I know it was on Hoopsworld, but anywhere else?

I had read that they Warriors were trying to trade Fisher (in a 3 team trade) but the Spurs weren't mentioned in the rumors.

T Park
09-01-2005, 08:04 PM

This is the Holt era.

Deal with it

Can you honestly say there is much to bitch about in the Holt era??

Seriously...

timvp
09-01-2005, 08:07 PM
Can you honestly say there is much to bitch about in the Holt era??

Seriously...

I'm not bitching. It's called preparing for how the ownership and the front office will react. Everyone is saying that the Spurs should stand pat ... but the Holt Era dictates that won't happen.

Get it?

T Park
09-01-2005, 08:10 PM
I get it.

But IMO they will win the ring either way.

Stand pat or trade Barry and sign Brown.

IMO signing Brown and trading Barry is a plus.

You lose a SLIGHT bit of versatility, but it gets you younger than you were the year before.

I dont blame ownership for not wanting to pay the luxury tax, smart business.

Gino2882
09-01-2005, 08:10 PM
Barry for Pietrus would be an amazing trade for the Spurs...

Mavs<Spurs
09-01-2005, 08:11 PM

I had read that they Warriors were trying to trade Fisher (in a 3 team trade) but the Spurs weren't mentioned in the rumors.

Kori, if Barry for Pietris is a possible treade, what's your opinion of it?
Would we keep Devin?
:fro

TwoHandJam
09-01-2005, 08:16 PM

I had read that they Warriors were trying to trade Fisher (in a 3 team trade) but the Spurs weren't mentioned in the rumors.Yeah, I believe I heard it came from Hoopsworld but I never found out what the original source was. We all know how reputable Hoopsworld is so take it for what it's worth I guess.

Gummi
09-01-2005, 08:16 PM
To me trading Barry from a team value perspective, is stupid. He's propably our most versatile player and our best 3P shooter. He does so many things for this team and even though Van Exel and Finley are here, he would still have a role here with the Spurs.

Brown IMO is very expendable. I like the kid and his game but there are hundreds of guys like him out there just as good and athletic. Not many Barry's out there though.

I can see it from a financial point that trading Barry for an expiring contract or maybe draft picks would be better for the cap, but IMO Barry will be a important player off the bench for us and he will brings experience and leadership. You can't say that about Devin.

TheWriter
09-01-2005, 08:20 PM
He's propably our most versatile player and our best 3P shooter.

Most versatile player is Manu.

Best 3pt shooter is Finley.

Gummi
09-01-2005, 08:24 PM
You must be kidding me with Finley over Barry? I will agree on Manu. But Barry's the best 3P shooter on the Spurs team and probably a top 5 in the league.

Barry has been known for years to be one of the leagues best shooter.

TheWriter
09-01-2005, 08:29 PM
You must be kidding me with Finley over Barry? I will agree on Manu. But Barry's the best 3P shooter on the Spurs team and probably a top 5 in the league.

Would you like to compare their numbers from last year?

Because Finley > Barry in three point shooting.

TheWriter
09-01-2005, 08:32 PM
Last year

Michael Finley: 40% 3pt shooter.

Brent Barry: 35% 3pt shooter.

Mavs<Spurs
09-01-2005, 08:35 PM
To me trading Barry from a team value perspective, is stupid. He's propably our most versatile player and our best 3P shooter. He does so many things for this team and even though Van Exel and Finley are here, he would still have a role here with the Spurs.

Brown IMO is very expendable. I like the kid and his game but there are hundreds of guys like him out there just as good and athletic. Not many Barry's out there though.

I can see it from a financial point that trading Barry for an expiring contract or maybe draft picks would be better for the cap, but IMO Barry will be a important player off the bench for us and he will brings experience and leadership. You can't say that about Devin.

I agree.
:fro

JUUOT
09-01-2005, 08:35 PM
IMO Barry better than finley for verstaility, ball handling and movement. but finley have some good points for him physic and aggressive... it is pretty much balance between the 2.
but finley is coming a year and a half younger and half the price. cutting the luxe tax.

without slary cap you keep him. but if you play by the rule as spurs do you have to send him.

Finley plans to play more than 20mn a night
manu and bowen 60 let 36 minutes open for finley and a young prospect being devin/barnes...

Gummi
09-01-2005, 08:53 PM
Pal, you need to look at the career stats when you look at stats. One season isn't enough to measure who's better. It's known around the league Barry's one of the best, it's not just me.

Dalamar_the_Dark
09-01-2005, 08:56 PM
I would say Nazr is expendable. Serious. His contract is up. He makes 6 million. His stock is up. If Im the Spurs front office, Id trade him. Rasho plays better defense. Rasho has better hands. Rasho plays better with Duncan. And the Spurs have Oberto signed. If any trade is in the works, I would say Nazr is expendable. Next up will be Barry. Udrih, I dont think they will be looking to trade him cause his contract is dirt cheap. No point trading off a backup PG with talent for draft picks.

TheWriter
09-01-2005, 08:57 PM
Pal, you need to look at the career stats when you look at stats. One season isn't enough to measure who's better. It's known around the league Barry's one of the best, it's not just me.

Well, when you're asking who the defending champ is, you tell them who? You say the Celts because they've won the most.

When you ask who's the MVP, you tell them who won it last. Now who has the most.

And you said Barry was a better three point shooter. Last year he wasn't, so you can't say he is unless he shoots better than Michael this year.

Gummi
09-01-2005, 09:01 PM
So with your thinking I wouldn't be off by saying that Jason Richardson is a better offensive player then Duncan because he averaged 21.7 ppg and Duncan had 20.3 ppg. To me that's not right and hopefully I have changed your mind on this.

T Park
09-01-2005, 09:08 PM
Rasho plays better with Duncan

No he does not.

Rasho defers wayyyy too much to Duncan.

Mohammed, when given the ball, takes it to the rack and shoots it.

So IMO Rasho is more expendable than Mohammed.

ChumpDumper
09-01-2005, 09:09 PM
If a deal for the expedable players can be worked out, that would be ok but there will be an almost certain loss in talent and depth. This Pietrus business sounds like Rasho for Atlanta's young stars and draft picks: pie in the sky.

If we're able to do something with a team like Toronto for guys like Aaron or Eric Williams, Lamond Murray, et.al. -- non-core guys with small and/or expiring deals -- that would likely be a best-case scenario.

TheWriter
09-01-2005, 09:11 PM
So with your thinking I wouldn't be off by saying that Jason Richardson is a better offensive player then Duncan because he averaged 21.7 ppg and Duncan had 20.3 ppg. To me that's not right and hopefully I have changed your mind on this.

If Jason Richardson avg. more than Duncan, then yes, he's a better offensive player than Duncan. There are a lot of players in the NBA that are better offensively than Duncan. But none of them are as dominate as Duncan.

Gummi
09-01-2005, 09:14 PM
Well ok, we won't agree on this topic. Hey, that's why I post here, different opinions.

TheWriter
09-01-2005, 09:20 PM
Well ok, we won't agree on this topic. Hey, that's why I post here, different opinions.

But it's something that we shouldn't have to disagree on. It's simple. When evaluating a player,, you always use the numbers he last put up.

If we were going to sign Malone, would you sign him for his "career" numbers or the numbers he last put up?

If you bought a 12 year old used car, would you pay full market because it was a high class car upon being built or would you pay what the market says it costs?

angel_luv
09-01-2005, 09:48 PM

This is the Holt era.

Deal with it.

Sigh!

sprrs
09-02-2005, 12:04 AM
Is anyone considering the possibility that this could be some kind of trick by Devin's agent to get more money out of Utah or some other team?

grjr
09-02-2005, 01:48 AM
Agent Says Brown May Still Sign With Spurs
LAST UPDATE: 9/1/2005 7:03:05 PM
Posted By: Kori Ellis
This story is available on your cell phone at mobile.woai.com.

The agent for Devin Brown says the 26-year-old free agent may not be on his way out depite the fact the Spurs signed Michael Finley.

Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich indicated on Ticket760's "The Pop Show" earlier this week that it was likely one or the other. So when Finley committed to the Spurs on Wednesday that was the end of that ... or so we thought.

"There's definitely a chance," said Brown's agent Darrick Powell. "There was never a time where it was either one or the other. I got a phone call last night actually, and there's still some interest (from the Spurs) for Devin."

So you're saying there's a chance...
http://images.art.com/images/products/small/10102000/10102378.jpg

Admidave50
09-02-2005, 02:55 AM
There is no way that the Warriors will trade a a young and promising Pietrus (23 years old) for an old Barry (34 this december) who had a disappointed season last year.

Pietrus finished strongly on April with 12 ppg, 50,5% FG 44% 3PT for 21 min and get some point from GS coach.

It doesn't make any sense for them even though a pure shooter like barry would be great for them, it's not like they need him this year and that they were Title contender!

But the Warriors have been pretty silly in the past few years so who knows?

It will surely be an excellent addition for the Spurs, Pietrus can score and Defend!

Dingle Barry
09-02-2005, 03:26 AM
If Jason Richardson avg. more than Duncan, then yes, he's a better offensive player than Duncan.

You don't fully grasp sports, particularly basketball.

Marcus Bryant
09-02-2005, 08:45 AM
Gut reaction: Spurs are still showing interest in Brown because they want to force a sign and trade with a team (ie Utah) who wants him (and get as much as they can from that team).

But timvp's scenario is just as probable.

JUUOT
09-02-2005, 08:48 AM
Gut reaction: Spurs are still showing interest in Brown because they want to force a sign and trade with a team (ie Utah) who wants him (and get as much as they can from that team).

But timvp's scenario is just as probable.

i think finley is in to be energy guy from the bench. In terms of play barry fit better with him than brown. only problem is barry expensive.

i therefor do not see brown coming back and totally agree with your gut feeling. they try to get a 2nd round draft pick out of Devin.

Marcus Bryant
09-02-2005, 08:50 AM
OK, Brown just signed an offer sheet with the Jazz. The Spurs are definitely going to try to milk the Jazz for a pick and/or cash.